Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: How much $ have you spent on gems?

Comments

• EzRdrEzRdr Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I've spent about $50 on gems and another 3-4g on gems too. Got the DDE upgrade, char slots, bank space, some minis, and a few cosmetic items as well as keys. I plan to spend $5-10 a month simply because the game is awesome and I love it!
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Naral
    Seeing posts on the official GW2 forums, I see a lot of posts of people saying they bought gems, some of them have bought over $150 in gems. It got me curious how much real money folks have spent on gems to date?

I bought $20 to 'try' the system out. Used it to buy an extra character slot and an extra bank slot. Worked fine.

However....

I will NOT be giving ANet ANY more money until they liberally apply some vaseline behind their ears and collectively pull their heads out of their asses. Quite simply, there are far too many things wrong, either technically or philosophically, with the game right now to warrant any further monetary support until they start correcting what *I* feel are chronic issues.

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

just 3 char slots.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I have spent $0, but i did buy an extra bag slot for around 1.40 gold, by exchanging it for gems.  It was worth it too, because my bags fill up quick when i'm out just running around doing events and gathering. lol.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Ive spent $40, hell it may have even been $60.

What would a total of 8 character slots and four, or maybe five extra bank tabs/slots be?

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    You should be breaking down bad stuff, selling good stuff and sending crafting stuff to your collections tab - which can be done from anywhere, your bags should never be full.
  • BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Not a cent. I've been upgrading my bank and unlocking bag slots as I need them by exchanging gold for gems. They're so cheap I can't imagine why anyone would pay real money.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

No real money but I got myself 3 extra character slots (2400 gems or €30 worth) by selling gold for gems, so somebody must be buying gems with real money and that all adds to GW2 being a success.

I might go for a bank expansion, but the bag expansion is a luxury I can do without. I got my 3 mains 4 10-slot leather bags each for a total of 60 slots and that works just fine so far.

The gold/gem ratio seems to be going up with more and more people having enough gold to take a look at cash shop extras they might be interested in. So if you have extra gold and you're planning on getting things from the cash shop then it might be a good idea to get those sooner rather than later.

imageimage
  • LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    So how much money do I have to fork out in order to get 200 gold on my character?
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

2.8% spent more of 251$ ?!?!?!

omfg trolls or you are so rich there ? :P

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by loulaki

2.8% spent more of 251$ ?!?!?!

omfg trolls or you are so rich there ? :P

It's only money.

I bought my SWG pre cu Jedi account for $500 + a shitload of credits the following years.

It's no big deal tbh.

• ChristoooChristooo Member UncommonPosts: 86
    $150 cuz i wanted to buy the 400 armorsmithing for my Guardian :P
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    So about two thirds are playing at the expense of one third, beside the initial box cost. Interesting and pretty much what I expected, maybe I expected more not to pay actually. One third using the shop is a little bit too much considering that, so far, there isn't anything there that you really need.
  • GolazGolaz Member UncommonPosts: 24
    I can't remember the price but i bought like 12.000 gems in total to get more bagspace and bankslots as well as tons of dye packs :)
  • WarbandWarband Member UncommonPosts: 723

I'll just post some people in this thread have a terrible understanding of mathematics. Out of the generousness of my heart I'll simply say your calculations and methodology are wrong and anything you infer from them will be fallicious at best. So don't bother.

There's so many ways it's wrong I can't even be bothered going into it. Snarlingwolf I feel sorry for the eductaion system that produced your understand of mathematics as you have a woeful understanding, of it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Nothing so far. If the game still feels as fun the next month as it have the first I will buy some gems though to support it, something like 20-25 euro or so.

But that wont be until they actually fixed up the higher level zones. A good game deserves a reward but not until I really consider it to be ready and the higher content do need some work still.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    $100 shame to say and that only cause I'm lazy and didn't want to farm but yeah it doesn't make you stand out anymore than anyone else and mostly on bag space, bank space. Don't really need dyes but I'm looking for a good pink one and it's temping to gamble and see if I can get one. I haven't played lately but will be back so don't worry in case anyone was lol.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

0$

I do not plan to buy anything from the shop with money.

If the game would push me to do so anytime, it would be a good reason for me to stop playing it.

Hodor!

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by jacklo

Data?

Clearly you have no idea about data and how to properly analyse it.

How can you assume the same monthly spend, when all that this data shows is that a small percentage of people bought a one-off item early in the game.

You're accusing him of making an assumption, only to immediately make one yourself, without data to back it up. It doesn't say what those people spent on, it only says that they spent money and roughly how much. It doesn't indicate if they're going to spend more or not, it only indicates that already have.

You're pulling stuff out of thin air and making assumptions just as much as you're accusing Snarlingwolf of doing so.

Moreso, how does this equate to being bad for gamers?

Because the more developers see peole are willing to spend on in-game items, the more in-game items and services they are going to try to sell.  Every item that's sold in a cash shop is something that could have been provided purely in-game, or the game design could be modified so buying those items aren't necessary to begin with.

For example, additional inventory space is completely arbitrary and a blatant cash grab. They could give each and every player the expanded inventory space for the cost of the box price - their system is obviously capable of handling it. But they don't. Why? 'cause they know they can make more money by selling it as a cash shop item, so they'd rather sell it and "monetize their players" a bit more. There is no reason they couldn't give people that additional inventory space from the get-go.

In fact, much of what is sold in cash shops are the very things that one would very reasonably expect to be included in the game in the first place. The developer have simply made the decision to remove them from the game (even though all code, graphics, etc for them is already taking up space on your HD), and then make you buy them as "added content". Extra character slots? They can provide those from day 1. Special objects, different armor looks, etc? Same thing. They're literally removing things from the game, and then "giving players the opportunity" to pay more for them.  And people are eating it up ilke the best thing ever.

It's much more indicative of a trend than it's isn't.  A few years ago, the idea of even a F2P MMO having a cash shop was considered completely unacceptable. Now, a few years on, people are defending games that have a cash shop on top of a box fee+sub. It's exactly as Snarlingwolf says. As time goes on, it becomes "the norm", people become more accepting of it, and developers are able to push and get away with a little more. It works because it's a gradual process, happening slowly enough that no one really notices -  unless they're really paying attention, which many aren't. It took us 3-4 years or so to get where we are now. As the trend continues, what do you expect people will be defending 3-4 years out from now?

Given the trend occurring already in that area, I would put my money on the safe bet that gaming will be more expensive down the road because people are so permissive and passive - even supportive - of the whole "monetization of players" routine going on now. Developers will continue to find ways to shift standard gameplay elements (e.g. inventory space) from being a standard part of the game itself, to being a "premium item" to be bought from the cash shop.

Saddest thing is, people will continue to support and defend it, just like they are now. Sadder still, for many the defense of it will have nothing to do with their acceptance or understanding of what they're defending. It'll have everything to do with them doing the "fanboy" thing, where they feel they have to defend the game against any and all criticism.

It will certainly save me some cash because I have no intention of spending on vanity items or things I can get in-game anyway - as seems to be the case with most people who have replied here.

Because you are not everyone and your spending habits and preferences do not reflect everyone's spending habits and preferences. People have talked about spending over $200 in their first 2 weeks on this game on cash shop items. Others haven't spent that much, but have certainly spent enough to buy a game box at least 2 or 3 times.  You have to take everyone into consideration, not just what you do or don't do.

I hope Arenanet do make more money from the cash shop to support their game and business, but at least it will come from those who can afford it and choose to go that route.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

So with a normal subscription MMO you'd have brought in $3120 from these people. If you assume best case scenario and they've all just subbed up for month 2 at $15 it would be $3900.

With GW2 model and this poll and assuming dead center in each choice as the average spent and assuming $300 for the 251+ you end up with: ~$4340 or 1.4x as much money spent over if 100% of the people subbing for a second month in a sub based game.

Yes B2P as the future sounds great for gamers...

Seems almost everyone who purchased, bought bag/bank space. Those are really a one-off and I can't see the same spend occuring month after month.

You make some poorly based assumptions.

None of the assumptions are the least bit poorly based. To assume that a company which makes money off a store won't continue to come up with things for people to spend money on would be the poor assumption.

Given how many people I saw running around in game with the ridiculous sunglasses and boxing gloves, I would also say people aren't just spending money on bag/bank space.

You'll also notice in my assumption I helped the B2P model by assuming a 100% continue to play rate which raises how much the subscription type of game costs. In reality you at best end up with a 50% rate on the first month if not lower which further increases the cost difference between the two models.

But be that guy who just says anything anyone says is just wrong if it is at all critical of the game they love.

I don't mind being critical, there's plenty I don't like about GW2.

To jump in and make assumptions based on a poll with only 50 or so votes, seems a bit premature.

My argument still stands and it doesn't matter whether it's GW2 or not, you're talking about the whole B2P model.

The vast majority have spent nothing, some chose to make things easier by buying something they may see as essential, in this case bank and bag space.

If a gamer has disposable income he wants to dispose of to increase his enjoyment, how is that bad for gamers?

It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game.

So be that guy who in the absence of a reasonable argument, stoops to the safety zone of calling me a fanboy.

One can argue that people who don't want to leech from other people, would enjoy themselves less if they didn't pay a certain sum in the item mall. Because, that's what F2P and B2P with item mall expect: they expect a few people to pay more so that a lot of people can pay less, i.e. a few people pay so that other can leech. It is though consensual leeching, but still leeching.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

$59 for the game.
    2g 40s for 600 gem to expand my bank.

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    I complained and ticketed about them charging in euros instead of dollars when buying from Russia for no reason, and that tax excuse was not valid, because paying from non-us non-eu country is basically not taxed, since they can process that through their US office which will mean no tax.

And they did listen.

That was the reason I bought minimum amount of gems (10$ i believe). You hardly have a company listen to your valid complaint, usually they will just cover behind PR bullshit of copy-paste replies and links. So yeah, I had to buy at least some gems to be fair. But then, I noticed that you dont really need to buy gems since you can just trade gold for them. I bought all bank slots, bag slots and i dont need char slots since i'm not playin with alts (use'em as mules and 4 extra slots is enough). I also bought mystic stones for some stupid purpose. And crafting tonic to help level up my character once.

I believe their cash shop is really flawed right now, because it doesnt encourage you enough to buy from it. People were affraid it being P2W, that you'd need to spend real money to dominate WvW and be accepted in PVE, and it turned out after you bought your char/bank slots, and probably a crafting boster, you really dont need to spend gems anymore. All the "fluff" items are either underwhelming or too limited in uses (like, 1 use 5 min only box of fun, same with cow finisher). Buying gold with gems is just stupid (price is like insane, while chinese farmers offer like four times better rates or something... just think about Commander's book costs like over 500 dollars). Costumes are kinda meh, and are not really worth it because there are much better looking clothes attainable from drops (i saw countless awesome men and even more awesome and sexy women outfits, and they all were from drops, not cash shop).

Imho they really need to add some awesome stuff to their gem store. And make it profitable to buy gold from them, not from chinese farmers. Right now its just not really worth buying gems.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    30€ for 3 additional alt slots and probably will buy some armor set or alike in future. Well, game MUST get somehow money. Ok, is P2P, but that money cover work for few years and guess something to tweak game. But sooner or later will run out. As they do not have sub, for sure must get as much money as possible from shop.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Eir_S

The main money makers in F2P games are more storage/more character slots so I wouldn't call GW2's B2P store "fluff items".

But the question is, how many of those F2P games allow you to get the same bonuses (bag space, character slots) through in game gold?  Not any that I can recall.

Allods Online lets you buy shards with in-game gold. It has a similar system as the one GW2 is using. There's an NPC that buys/sells shards. The more players sell shards the cheaper they become, buying shards drives prices up.

Of course that cash shop is pay2win and you'd need to grind gold till your eyes bleed dollars to become competitive on in-game gold alone.

imageimage
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

To anyone who actually paid $251+:  You're crazy!  BUT, thanks for helping fund the game I'm enjoying!

As for me, I've found the gold > gem conversion to be very reasonable.  I've been able to buy everything I've wanted so far, which has only amounted to 1 extra character slot and 2 bank slots.  2000 gems total that cost me about 6-7 gold at their respective times of purchase.  Bank slots cost about 2 gold, which, for the current GW2 economy, is about the same in game price bank slots tend to go for in other MMOs.  As such, the game doesn't even feel like it has a cash shop.