Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting started with Magic: The Gathering

ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
So I found quite a few local people that play and I was wondering what I needed to get started. Any specific booster packs, starter decks, etc?

Comments

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I haven't played that game in ages.  It's a great game but expensive to keep up with all the expansions.  If you play tournaments, then your cards are constantly getting outdated because they are not allowed.

The cheapest way to start is to get a themed starterdeck, a few normal packs and boosters.  Do research on all cards and look at switching out and adding in some cards.

One of my favorite decks I made was a white weeney deck that utilized Emperical Armour (enchant creature +1/+1 for every card in your hand), then Armagedan (destroy all lands).  Swords of plowshares and pacifism for creature removal.  Deck was unstoppable.
  • klerkenklerken Member UncommonPosts: 53

kinda in the same situation started playing again 4 months ago, after er 15 year break or so. and had the same question, i started by rebuilding my old decks and just went from there.

i can suggest reading on channel fireball or tappedout.net for some information/inspiriation.

i only play casual or limited (draft/sealed) so its probably different from a more competive viewpoint but if i were to start out all new now, i would talk to people in the community, learn what style i wan't to play, and then browse the internet for inspiration, and when i have enough info i would put together a deck on tappedout.net and just order it through the online stores/players.

IMO its the easiest way to get a decent deck going, since buying boosters/starters or displays can get expensive real fast.

Kind of off topic, but if you have a playstation 3, i believe you can download the demo for Magic the Gathering for free.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

M:TG can be a very expensive habit if you let it be, much more so than gaming. To get started from scratch I would recommend finding out which rule set your playing group usually plays. Type 1, Extended, Standard or whatever. Once you find that out pick up a starter set and play around with the colors, find which you like.

Then, only after you have a general idea of what type of decks you prefer, head over to MTGSalvation.com WARNING: The majority of those decks average 100 dollars at bare minimum, most are between $400 and $2000, the most expensive are the ones using rare out of print cards like the Power 9, Mox's, Lotus, Ancestral Recal, Time Twister, Time Walk. The most expensive decks are usually only used by those who play competively in tournaments, so you can overlook those. Back in the mid 90's I played in many tournies and when I decided to sell my collection, I bought a car and paid my rent for 3 months. I had a lot of rare cards:P

I always recommend when people start to play is get a feel for what sets you want cards from and buy the Uncommon/Common sets off E-bay or from online Card Stores for those, they come with complete play sets (4 of each card) and just single purchase the rares/mythics as you need/want them. I do this for my kids and they really enjoy it.

The game is very fun but can get very and I mean very addicting, even more so than video gaming. If you approach it with a budget in mind, stick to that budget firmly, whether it is $20 or $200, stick to it, because if you don't you'll quickly have a wicked deck in your hand but fumbling for an excuse to tell your wife/GF as to why you spent the car payment on playing cards. Never done that myself, but I have had friends do it more than once.

But most of all, have fun, it's a very fun game.

• CariusDCariusD Member Posts: 2
    I would say start with the newest set and learn deck building. Then go back to older sets and learn how to use them for crazy combos.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by CariusD
    I would say start with the newest set and learn deck building. Then go back to older sets and learn how to use them for crazy combos.

I was thinking of picking up THIS (Return to Ravnica Intro Pack: Rakdos Raid (Black/Red)). Seeing as how it seems to be the newest set, and someone from the group said they've ordered from there before and shipping and all that was good.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Has anyone tried the online computer version?
  • Domain33XDomain33X Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I play the online version. It's fun and very convienent allowing you to play any time you want. There is a quite popular tourney scene. Multiplayer is fun. Also most singles are cheaper then paper ones online. The thing is you have to pay real money for cards.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by grimal
    Has anyone tried the online computer version?

I've been playing MTGO for years. I actually prefer it to face to face MTG now days. Larger pool of players to play against, I can wake up at 2am and decide I want to play in a tournament and do so, and if you get a complete set online you can convert them to real versions.

The idea of MTGO is to go infinite meaning enter some drafts or constructed tournaments win lots of boosters and such and sale them to buy tickets to participate in more paid tournaments. I have collected a sizable amount of tickets so I'm pretty set for years for paid games and it's easy to keep my collection up to date. I do mainly standard but all types play.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ
    So I found quite a few local people that play and I was wondering what I needed to get started. Any specific booster packs, starter decks, etc?

I assume you are talking about the SOE newest version.^sorry can`t type the question mark,my keypad is messed up.

I was really looking forward to this game becuase it introduced really nice card graphics the other version lacked.The problem is ...SOE !.

It is just unreal how incompetent SOE  are,they release bug after bugged product.I am sure they scared awaay a LOT of customers already ,becuase the torunies were nothing but constant screw ups.The desgin is also one that enforces SPEED over skill,they want torunies over fast,so they can start a new one and sell more product.

The maps are VERY small 15x15 grids,so they basically did the bare minimum to make this happen.

They did NOTHING to fix the costly side of the original format,this removes an extremely large amount of the possible player base.having a small niche of people spending the big bucks is a FAIL design becuase eventually there is onl ya handful of players left and the game becomes near dead.

The good side...The graphics are great.FOr the most part the card selections are great.You can earn gold for free after buying the missions and use tha tgold to buy even the best cards.The bugs have been ironed out to respectable now,too ka long time,however with every new card or set,expect more bugs.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

I assume you are talking about the SOE newest version.^sorry can`t type the question mark,my keypad is messed up.

I was really looking forward to this game becuase it introduced really nice card graphics the other version lacked.The problem is ...SOE !.

It is just unreal how incompetent SOE  are,they release bug after bugged product.I am sure they scared awaay a LOT of customers already ,becuase the torunies were nothing but constant screw ups.The desgin is also one that enforces SPEED over skill,they want torunies over fast,so they can start a new one and sell more product.

The maps are VERY small 15x15 grids,so they basically did the bare minimum to make this happen.

They did NOTHING to fix the costly side of the original format,this removes an extremely large amount of the possible player base.having a small niche of people spending the big bucks is a FAIL design becuase eventually there is onl ya handful of players left and the game becomes near dead.

The good side...The graphics are great.FOr the most part the card selections are great.You can earn gold for free after buying the missions and use tha tgold to buy even the best cards.The bugs have been ironed out to respectable now,too ka long time,however with every new card or set,expect more bugs.

I believe he/she is reffering to the physical MTG game.