Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Next MMO to shut down is...

superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
Following the closure of City of Heroes which MMO do you reckon most likely to shut down next?

Comments

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I vored for Vanguard based on my recent travels to Telon. At the very least the European server will close. However there are Rumours floating around about Funcom and their finances. so perhaps a few games will shut at the same time but I havent seen hard evidence to back it up so I doubt they will shut.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Vanguard still has to transfer to ProSieben, who will deal with the Europe side, but I suppose if that all fails, then it could shut down.

Champions Online is getting a few votes - I hope Champions Online does not shut down, as that is the only Super hero MMO left.  COH is no more, and DCUO is not worth the risk to your identity being stolen with ProSieben. Marvel MMO does not look worth it. It may pick up after COH shuts down

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    TSW and SWTOR are losing a LOT more money than Vanguard is at the moment.
  • DuluDulu Member UncommonPosts: 58

As a beta tester for Vanguard, I have to say I am absolutely amazed that game is still running.

It's simply an inferior version of Everquest - there really is no reason to play it over any of the well known MMO's. The other bad games at least can appeal to Niche markets...

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Gotta love that some bozos actually voted for GW2.  lol  Hell, GW1 is still goin' strong.  EQ is still up and running.  Fallen Earth is still going, I mean seriously.  I don't honestly think any of those games are closing "soon," but Vanguard perhaps will be the first of them, although they just went free to play which might buy them some time, no pun intended.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• DallanonDallanon Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Well placed sources are telling me that Rift has about 3 months left.
  • axishatraxishatr Member UncommonPosts: 167

WWIIOL

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Anarchy Online should be in that list.

I voted for Aion. Could be L2 guess, But NCSoft closes games more than anyone else, so I'd vote for one of theirs.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Mortal Online?
  • ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231
    Darkfall since Unholy Wars is coming out soon.
  • Cameron27Cameron27 Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Zecktorin

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's sad that it's not on the poll because I can't imagine them self-competing. Maybe it's just the choice that's too obvious.

"I will not play it nor any other MMO until they make it possible to obtain the best gear without forcing people to group up to do so." SwampRob

Originally posted by Cameron27
    Originally posted by Zecktorin

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's sad that it's not on the poll because I can't imagine them self-competing. Maybe it's just the choice that's too obvious.

That is why the "other" option is in the poll, there was not enough room to list them all.

Generally, unless you are Lucasarts, it is not a good idea to shut down the old MMO, until you are sure that the new one is doing well.If Square Enix shut down FFXI for FFXIV then they would have shot themselves in the foot. If the new MMO does well then people will more likely to move over, and the old MMO will slowly die, making it easier to close, which is moe likely to happen to GW1 now, as GW2 has exceeded GW1 in popularity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

If Funcom has been able to keep Conan up this long, I can't see TSW going down anytime soon.  Especially with the cash shop already in place.

SWtOR is definitely a financial burdon right now, but it's also in the middle of a F2P transition.  Unless the F2P thing dies in a fire, it should limp along until someone else gets the rights to a SW MMO and makes it close down.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Dallanon
    Well placed sources are telling me that Rift has about 3 months left.

By "well placed sources" do you mean, some guy you met in a public bathroom?

You make me like charity

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    SWTOR or TSW would be shocks as they are so new.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I chose Guild Wars 2,becuase I feel like being ridiculous today.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

If Funcom has been able to keep Conan up this long, I can't see TSW going down anytime soon.  Especially with the cash shop already in place.

SWtOR is definitely a financial burdon right now, but it's also in the middle of a F2P transition.  Unless the F2P thing dies in a fire, it should limp along until someone else gets the rights to a SW MMO and makes it close down.

Conan stayed alive because Funcom disbanded two of their partner companies following its launch. I'm not even sure if AoC has repayed its development cost yet, but they can't shut it down because then they'll NEVER get their money back. I doubt Funcom can support THREE dead MMOs. And I use the term "MMO" lightly.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    It will probably be one of the MANY eastern F2P MMOs that everyone has played for about 10 minutes and moved on from.  Games like Sharia, Conquer online etc.  All of those horrible clones with no depth grind or die games.  The more that die sooner, the merrier everyone will be.
    Originally posted by worldalpha

SWTOR may be new but is clearly a financial burden, and if they do not get enough money from subs / F2P then it may have to get shut down, to cut their losses

Vanguard has been going for years on empty servers even as P2P with no content, and now swicthed to F2P, and does not seem to need many subs to stay operating. It is yet to move to ProSieben in EU. There now seems to be a future for it. If SWG did not get shut down, it probably would have done. Actually I think the next SOE game to shut down will be Planetside 1, as that is not going to ProSieben. Vanguard may shut down when EQnext is released, or if they need to shift resources to get it released.

SWTOR has more chance of shutting down than Vanguard

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Why is WAR not on the list? I would have picked it over these choices.

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by worldalpha

SWTOR may be new but is clearly a financial burden, and if they do not get enough money from subs / F2P then it may have to get shut down, to cut their losses

Vanguard has been going for years on empty servers even as P2P with no content, and now swicthed to F2P, and does not seem to need many subs to stay operating. It is yet to move to ProSieben in EU. There now seems to be a future for it. If SWG did not get shut down, it probably would have done. Actually I think the next SOE game to shut down will be Planetside 1, as that is not going to ProSieben. Vanguard may shut down when EQnext is released, or if they need to shift resources to get it released.

SWTOR has more chance of shutting down than Vanguard

But SWTOR has how many times more players? 3-8 times as many? Nobody in the right mind would pull the plug now or even in the next 1-2 years atleast.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         I voted for Vanguard but how are UO and AC still going (and people still paying for subs for them!)?
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I voted for Guild Wars 2. While I may be in the minority (only 5%), NCsoft is a horrid company and will shut down games even making a profit (while very small, it was still profit). And seeing as GW2 didn't do as well as they hoped, NCsoft acts rash and abandons games as quick as flipping a quarter. They've done it to Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault and now City of Heroes.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    I really doubt the Freemium is going to save SWTOR, but we'll see...I agree with those who feel TOR is in danger due to it's immense cost...They are trying to dig out of one hell of a ditch...And even this early, the talking heads at EA have given no guarantees about the future of that game...In fact they have even hinted it could shut down if the F2P is not a success...So...image
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

[mod edit]

Hopefully all the Give me gear, money, and items for doing nothing or very minimal MMO's.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by TheScavenger
    I voted for Guild Wars 2. While I may be in the minority (only 5%), NCsoft is a horrid company and will shut down games even making a profit (while very small, it was still profit). And seeing as GW2 didn't do as well as they hoped, NCsoft acts rash and abandons games as quick as flipping a quarter. They've done it to Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault and now City of Heroes.

Didnt do as well as they hoped? Not true.

Tabula rasa was a disaster of a game. It had to be shut down.