Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Darkfall: Unholy Wars: Reshaping Darkfall's Sandbox

123457»

Comments

• Amphib_IanAmphib_Ian Member Posts: 170
    I might just have to give this game a look-see. If it truly is an open world pvp sandbox then i'm up for the challenge! especially FTP since i'm broke all the time. But if it's FTP is it then PTW?

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    You really think anything changed about AV or DF ? They might promote it as a new game, but it's simply not. It obvious they reused a lot of code and solutions. There is another thing which most likely didn't change. The working culture at AV and the dev team size. I really doubt they will produce a new experience.
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    In order to atract me they would need to remake the combat closer to Mount and Blade Warband style, especially the retarded old DF melee. Then they would need to fill the game world with more things to do then pointless pvp, sieges, grinding skills and killing mobs without a reason beyond resource and skill gains. And yeah, change the ratio between fun and boring repetitive grind.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by corpusc
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by Flex1
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

I would want more info on the sandbox part of the game and not news on how more awesome the pvp part of the game will be.

This game is advertized as a sandbox yet all the comments I see are that pve sucks majorly.

my worries too, make me think if this game is a sandbox  or a excuse for a FPS PVP arena.

Exactly. Right now all I see is a Guild centered player vs player exclusive game. That is not sandbox, that is pure team pvp. A "sandbox" game needs both to be called that, player versus enviroment and player versus player. If a player wants to be an explorer and find secret places and fight mythical beasts then he should be able to do so, if another player wants to be a bandit trying to rob that explorer he should be able to do so too BUT the explorer doesn't exist here.

I would agree.  I even made a thread when the original game launched about it not being a true sandbox because of pretty much this.

Tasos said that they made UW with people who were hesitant to try the original DF in mind, yet they have have to say if they even bothered to address the PK system they have in place currently.  The PK system that was easily exploitable, and nonconsequential. 

There was so much ganking in the game because the PK system didn't adiquetely discourage people from killing other players.  And having people constantly running in front of you while you're fighting a mob off in the hopes that you'll hit them twice and turn grey so they can kill you without penalty was beyond annoying. 

to all the numerous people wondering along these lines.

don't get your hopes up.   you should probably scratch DF off your list if you weren't interested in any of the features of DF1.

if you don't think DF1 was a  sandbox, you WILL feel the same way about UW.  they are not making much if any changes towards the direction you are interested in.

UW is just a refinement and polishing of DF1.

that's ALL it is.

its making some pretty big changes to be honest

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Blindchance
    In order to atract me they would need to remake the combat closer to Mount and Blade Warband style, especially the retarded old DF melee. Then they would need to fill the game world with more things to do then pointless pvp, sieges, grinding skills and killing mobs without a reason beyond resource and skill gains. And yeah, change the ratio between fun and boring repetitive grind.

i think i read they was going to rework meele combat for uw

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Blindchance
    You really think anything changed about AV or DF ? They might promote it as a new game, but it's simply not. It obvious they reused a lot of code and solutions. Glad you can tell that from some screenshots <rolls eyes>. They've actually quite substantially rewritten the base of the game to get rid of some of the hard coded problems DF1 had, like load lag and mob spawn limitations.  There is another thing which most likely didn't change. The working culture at AV and the dev team size. I really doubt they will produce a new experience.

The working culture and dev team didn't change you say?

Well, the dev team adopted the SPRINT work cycle, which allowed them to make this overhaul in 2 years, when the original Darkfall took 6. They have more than doubled their size (35 new devs and growing since DF launch) and have moved into a bigger office building.

So, you're pretty much wrong on all counts friend.

• BlarklarkBlarklark Member Posts: 6

I loved this game I'm glad its updating :)

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Raxeon
    Originally posted by corpusc
    Originally posted by Uhwop
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

I would want more info on the sandbox part of the game and not news on how more awesome the pvp part of the game will be.

This game is advertized as a sandbox yet all the comments I see are that pve sucks majorly.

my worries too, make me think if this game is a sandbox  or a excuse for a FPS PVP arena.

Exactly. Right now all I see is a Guild centered player vs player exclusive game. That is not sandbox, that is pure team pvp. A "sandbox" game needs both to be called that, player versus enviroment and player versus player. If a player wants to be an explorer and find secret places and fight mythical beasts then he should be able to do so, if another player wants to be a bandit trying to rob that explorer he should be able to do so too BUT the explorer doesn't exist here.

I would agree.  I even made a thread when the original game launched about it not being a true sandbox because of pretty much this.

Tasos said that they made UW with people who were hesitant to try the original DF in mind, yet they have have to say if they even bothered to address the PK system they have in place currently.  The PK system that was easily exploitable, and nonconsequential. 

There was so much ganking in the game because the PK system didn't adiquetely discourage people from killing other players.  And having people constantly running in front of you while you're fighting a mob off in the hopes that you'll hit them twice and turn grey so they can kill you without penalty was beyond annoying. 

to all the numerous people wondering along these lines.

don't get your hopes up.   you should probably scratch DF off your list if you weren't interested in any of the features of DF1.

if you don't think DF1 was a  sandbox, you WILL feel the same way about UW.  they are not making much if any changes towards the direction you are interested in.

UW is just a refinement and polishing of DF1.

that's ALL it is.

its making some pretty big changes to be honest

i didn't say they weren't.  i wasn't talking about every aspect.  

i was talking very specifically about one "issue" some (self-hyping) people have.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298
    I am amazed.  So many positive comments!  I had to scroll down quite a ways to see anything remotely negative. 

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

I really hope this game has a lot things that are sand box such as resource control, points of interests, and seiging areas... but also balance that it is done with small groups or even solo to make a contribution.

Thats the problem they might face if its too depedent on mobs making a difference, which means the solo player has little content to do other than grouping with others. I know this is a sand box feature, but it should offer things that make us feel the danger of a sand box MMO but also be able to contribute a lot on our own, towards end game content.

Also I hope they have content that considers goals for players and its shapes the world. Many games try to incorportate this, and its a nice way to make the game have a goal other than constant war.

And I hope there is A.I. programmed with NPCs. I think this is key, and also makes content for solo play a lot more doable for defense or just content as in open world raids, and 'world events' of roaming NPCs possibly tipping the scale of war. And something like this adds to the game a lot when the NPCs have thier own story or actions which affect the world also affecting the goals of the players. ANd also how players affecting areas affects NPC's as well to be relocated for example.

Also I hope they put things like mini games even in a sand box game, becuase they are social ways to pass the time. And since this game is mature rated game, there should be gambling and player bounties. This should be a given. Mini games with gambling, would be some of the nice mini game options among others options.

And, if its not going for a mature rating, then they should. I think that is the niche they need to make this game more appealing to a larger audience.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”