Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still the best thing since vanilla WoW

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Hmmmm how do I put this in an analogy; EVE is like Zork, WoW/Rift/etc is like pacman. Anyone can play pacman but Zork... took lots of patience to play, as does EVE.

Riding that damn gondola... 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I do think GW2 is the best MMORPG to release since 2004 because it is really the first AAA quality big-budget MMO since 2004 to try something a little different.

The older games, from 99-2004 there was a LOT of variety and each game had it's own style and feel and as such the fans were hyper loyal...

UO, EQ, SWG, EvE, E&B, AC1, AO, etc.

But after WoW, SO much stagnation in the genre.. way too much "same pig, new lipstick" with everyone offering fundamentally the same game play in a different skin.

WAR, AoC, TR, Rift, TOR, TERA, LOTRO, TSW...

If you didn't like top-end raids, grind heavy, gear-centric and heavily instanced "carrot on a stick" game play then you could go play EvE and that was about it.

The die has been cast, the ball is rolling... GW2 is the first of many that will fundamentally abandon the EQ/WoW model.

GW2 is NOT the pinnacle/end-of-the-road of this new direction - it's the first step (leap really) in the right direction.

We still have a long way to go.

But yes, when compared to everything that's been released after WoW, GW2 sure feels refreshing.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I feel the same as you OP

Never ever did i got that epic feeling back as in the older days.
    For something like that to happen it needed to be one hell of a mmo and Arenanet just did it.

There are many issues and iam very positive they are working their butts off to fix alot of stuff.
    But man what a blast to play this game.

Its hard
    Its challeging
    Its epic

WvW needs free transfers closed asap
    Spvp is epic fun also
    Seen a few Dragons and damn they where so unreal to fight, we had around 100 / 150 people to battle Shatterer and at that moment i just came when he landed.

Cant wait to see what those wizards at Seatle have in store for the next contend update :) !!!!!

Game gets a 9.0 overal from me, could have been a 10 if they would have closed free transfers ALOT sooner, but on the other side, people wanne join other guilds and join friends etc so meh i can forgive that little mistake.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

You guys know I disagree. I still feel TSW is the better game.  TSW has GW2 licked in everything but amount of PvP content, and size of world. I'm trying to think of another place GW2 has TSW beat. spell animations aaaand um. Running and jumping animations.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    GW2 is a casual players dream.  The ones that I see complaining are the hardcores and the traditionalists, which is fine as there are a lot of games out there that cater to those needs. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by bcbully

You guys know I disagree. I still feel TSW is the better game.  TSW has GW2 licked in everything but amount of PvP content, and size of world. I'm trying to think of another place GW2 has TSW beat. spell animations aaaand um. Running and jumping animations.

TSW beats all other recent MMOs in fewest copies sold. lol

It's your right to disagree of course, but that doesn't mean I understand it.  I thought TSW was horrible.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Tsw has a better story.

Most people don't play mmos for story though.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Tsw has a better story.

Most people don't play mmos for story though.

Really? I thought it was bland. The unique thing was the modern setting - that I will agree.The rest was just awful.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Every single MMO I have started up in the last 2 years (since I quit WoW) from Rift to TSW has had multiple (more like 35%+) of the guild quit within the first month.  GW2 has been out a little over a month and our 83 man guild roster hasnt lost ANYONE.

GW2 is a roaring success.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I do think GW2 is the best MMORPG to release since 2004 because it is really the first AAA quality big-budget MMO since 2004 to try something a little different.

The older games, from 99-2004 there was a LOT of variety and each game had it's own style and feel and as such the fans were hyper loyal...

But after WoW, SO much stagnation in the genre.. way too much "same pig, new lipstick" with everyone offering fundamentally the same game play in a different skin.

If you didn't like top-end raids, grind heavy, gear-centric and heavily instanced "carrot on a stick" game play then you could go play EvE and that was about it.

The die has been cast, the ball is rolling... GW2 is the first of many that will fundamentally abandon the EQ/WoW model.

GW2 is NOT the pinnacle/end-of-the-road of this new direction - it's the first step (leap really) in the right direction.

But yes, when compared to everything that's been released after WoW, GW2 sure feels refreshing.

Amazingly well said (as always) BadSpock.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    OP I played wow f from release till near lich kings release..This is the first themepark game since I first played wow to give me the same feeling of excitement and adventure... I had that feeling with EQ,AC and others but since wow have not.. kudos to anet for restoring my interest and enjoyment in themeparks once again

It's odd that you mention the joy of Adventure so much when that is a primary feature of Sandboxes.

Also, EQ & AC were not "Themeparks".

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I don't know if I'd necessarily agree with you there, Spock.  I think GW2 has done some things differently, but whether they are as different as some of the others between 2004 and now have done (TR, DDO, TOR to name a few).  For me, the change of story that TOR brought was unlike anything I had experienced in an MMO before.  That to me, was really a change for the genre.  To actually care for my character beyond it's physical progression.

Second, even for doing things differently, I don't think it has done them best.  LOTRO wasn't groundbreaking in its design, but I still believe it's one of the best MMOs in recent history.

Personally, just a willingness to do things different, while commendable, does not a great game make.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Nothing in WvW remotely compares to the simple joy of tarren mill vs southshore, or any of the other towns that we would lay waste to in vanilla WoW.

This! God I had a blast raiding Tarren Mill, Cross Roads,  The UnderCity.  Good ol' times hehe. :-)

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Seems people still have to feel like unless you crap on World of Waraft your not part of the club. Then to bring up a mmo that was not a hit when launched as if it was the best ever. 

You like playing F2P GW2 great. And lets not forget this is the MAIN reason most play it.  

Wow is a great MMO, Rift great mmo and so on. Just because you didnt like it ..then thats your problem not the mmo. Just like F2P GW2 great mmo. Not quite the same as others for your not paying every month. Lol this alone gets people up set. They think since they paied a one time fee = not free 2 play. 

The bad thing about GW2 is still on 10+ server changes from morn till night the lack of chat. Still has not got better at all. I know I know the server you wont post and play on does not have this problem. Just like the tons of people playing in all pve zones 1-80.. pffft. 

For me devs work so hard.. these people the art work and so on in any mmo never get any praise. Just people going on and on about how kiddie or bad and so forth the mmo is. As if we all have to be the same and like the same thing.. no thanks. Look in the mirror ..its you.. thats the problem maybe..

As for updates as in balancing and the like they said they are in no hurry. Their words ..if something seems to hard then try something different. 

EQ and daoc were themeparks

The term themepark was coined to describe EQ for gods sake.

Ac was maybe more of a hybrid, but not a full on sandbox.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    OP I played wow f from release till near lich kings release..This is the first themepark game since I first played wow to give me the same feeling of excitement and adventure... I had that feeling with EQ,AC and others but since wow have not.. kudos to anet for restoring my interest and enjoyment in themeparks once again

It's odd that you mention the joy of Adventure so much when that is a primary feature of Sandboxes.

Also, EQ & AC were not "Themeparks".

never said they were(although the topic is debatable) was just saying after so many imho boring themeparks that released since wow it's nice to see a decent one for a change.. but yes i do enjoy sandbox games and have been waiting for a good one to come along.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by bcbully

Not even close. Its stories are pretty intereseting, but overall the gameplay is not even close and the skill wheel could have been much more. And the pvp beatdown is so huge that its not even fair....

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

SWG had a fantastic skilltree, I have no idea why no one took that concept.

Edit- oh I also liked KOTOR's skilltree.

I would have liked something like the skillwheel from tsw in a future mmo, I thinly its a good idea, the only thing I didn't like is everyone got a rogue mechanic if they could have tied a different mechanic to each of the 9 weapon types and somehow made it so you ran dual mechanics or perhaps had 14 active abilities (7 per weapon) and a weapeon switch key to swap between which 7 / mechanic you used. That would have been possibly the best mmo character progression system.

I still think eve and coh have the best for the moment though.

Probably do prefer tsws skill system to gw2s classes and weapon swapping, although I feel both are an improvement on the mmo norm.

That said I prefer gw2 as a whole. Tsw has better dungeons, probably the best, but I'm not that arsed about instanced content. I did think tsw was better "quests", but not now I've got further into gw2. The ideal outdoor pve for me would be mostly gw2s dynamic events but... instead of the hearts have the multi stage half hour long quests of tsw.

Personal story, not bothered, belongs in a sprpg or cooprpg, not a mmorpg, mmos should be about making your own stories.
    I have to laugh at the tarren mill nostalgia. I guess wow was first mmo for these guys, I mean anyone whose had epic battles in emain or daoc in general or planetside couldn't be that excited by tarren mill fights or even more misplaced nostalgia vanilla alteract valley.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Nothing in WvW remotely compares to the simple joy of tarren mill vs southshore, or any of the other towns that we would lay waste to in vanilla WoW.

I disagree.  You'd probably just call me a "fanboi" and I'd probably call you the same thing.  You sure hang around in GW2 threads a lot for someone who plays WoW.  Incidentally, I love WoW, played it from release to just a couple months ago with 6 mths off somewhere in there, so about 7 years.  The two games are more different than alike.  I wouldn't compare them like the OP did OR like you did.  They're both excellent games and stand on their own without comparision.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

WvWvW queues prove that the game is still as popular as ever

Or that they didn't plan their RvR very well. DAoC never had, nor needed any queues :P

But yeah, it's probably the best themepark since DAoC/EverQuest (WoW was an awful game). But I'm not sure if its PvE is better than Vanguard's yet. And its PvP does NOT beat DAoC or Darkfall yet.

DAoC didnt need queues? Maybe because it never had the population that requires it.

PVE not better than Vanguards? Sorry but Vanguards combat was so boring. Nothing about combat in that game was exciting or fun as GW2. Not to mention the obvious programming of boss mobs in Vanguard where you knew the EXACT health % they would use certain skills.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Ummm because comparing an open-world FvF PvP element to an instanced BG RvR PvP element (granted a bit understatement) is sooooo much of a good comparison to judge games on.  Try again

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

+1

Where this is even coming from?    

Ok those themeparks were diffrent more freeroaming but still themeparks.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by fenistil

+1

Where this is even coming from?    

Ok those themeparks were diffrent more freeroaming but still themeparks.

Themepark didn't start getting used until WoW came along. DAoC and EQ were far more like sandboxes than they were modern day themeparks. DAoC especially.