Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would play this game if....

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

FFA-pvp + full-loot is majorly part of the game, what you need to do is, get in the game with the mentality/mindset of "i will lose everything, but i can also get it back pretty quick" AND "never roll with what you can't afford to lose" and the word from the "ancients" (UO) - bank often -

Those 3 things in mind, this game will be a friggin thing to enjoy for the months to come!

Forget the WoW mentality, where your purplez are the "shiz to remember" because that is not what you will be remembered here.

Consider every item you have on your person a "consumable" (ps. bank often), it will either be taken by another player(s) or it will break tomorrow.

Thus we've another durable mind for Darkfall

ps. i was an "around" average pvper in DF back in the day (lost more duels/1v1's than i won), yet i had tons of "ready bags" and armor + weaponsets in my bank + a hefty sum of gold to boot and i had a blast.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344

To the OP:

I'm typically very positive in repesponding to people and I don't mean this in a mean way but...

There are already 20+ MMOs on the market to choose from that don't involve an FFA world with full loot and consequences.   It's been done a million times in the last 15 or so years.  FFA full loot is a specific market and it will NEVER appeal to the masses.  If you don't like the idea then the game is not for you.  

If you can't balance your desire to play and not being able to handle full loot, you can play the game and join a huge clan/alliance of players.  These large groups of players still exists in the game today and your risk of losing anything is very very small.  You'll never be good at the game and will always rely on others, but you won't lose much.

The essence of Darkfall is open world PvP and full loot.  It's the whole point of the game.  You wouldn't ask for someone to create a version of boxing where they remove the fighting.  If you remove it, there's nothing left.

Trust me you get used to the full loot after awhile.  And if you get good at the game, you'll gain more than you lose.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Originally posted by indef

To the OP:

I'm typically very positive in repesponding to people and I don't mean this in a mean way but...

There are already 20+ MMOs on the market to choose from that don't involve an FFA world with full loot and consequences.   It's been done a million times in the last 15 or so years.  FFA full loot is a specific market and it will NEVER appeal to the masses.  If you don't like the idea then the game is not for you.  

If you can't balance your desire to play and not being able to handle full loot, you can play the game and join a huge clan/alliance of players.  These large groups of players still exists in the game today and your risk of losing anything is very very small.  You'll never be good at the game and will always rely on others, but you won't lose much.

The essence of Darkfall is open world PvP and full loot.  It's the whole point of the game.  You wouldn't ask for someone to create a version of boxing where they remove the fighting.  If you remove it, there's nothing left.

Trust me you get used to the full loot after awhile.  And if you get good at the game, you'll gain more than you lose.

This

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by indef

It's not even about "getting used to", you just need the right mentality :)

And ^ if you get good at game, kudos to you, you'll be having more loots than you bargained for!

ps. november 20th... now, so we can get a "delayed" message!!1!!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • CocophishCocophish Member Posts: 10

The joy of full loot games is simply lost on most people. If someone prevents them selves from playing DF:UW because they are scared of loosing some pixels then they are missing out on something truly exciting. Gold and armor comes and goes but your character and player skill is always improving.  And that can never be taken away from you.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Darkfall always made me laugh because I feel like it brought out everyones inner smegel from ?ord of the rings. Any time I found a rare resource or steedgrass i was like my preciousesses.... And i would scurry back to the bank to hoard it. Everytime I see someone bum rush the bak I get the feeling they are doing the same. Heart pounding and twitching making sure no pker is on my heels lol. New podcast... Darkfall horders. Lol.

Yeah it was definitely fun.   I remember my clan got into a war with a small clan named Fringe.  Basically, it was just two small groups of players who would kill each other whenever we saw each other inside a city or in the open world. 

Ultimately, it turned into everytime we needed to do tradeskills or gather we did them as a group.  Was very fun having one person tradeskill with 10 bodyguards incase of an attack.

• TyrogonTyrogon Member Posts: 1

full loot is the point of the game and it does a lot for it. it is not hard to get gear. i like that the people who wear the good gear are the people who are confident that they can use it. it means more that way. not only does it add value to a players life but it gives the game a deathmatch feel. removing full loot would be a buff to zerg clans in battles. yes it would help the outnumbered clan keep there stuff but the point of a game should be win the battle and if the bigger clan can just have people recklessly returning to battlefield then the smaller clan stands little to no hope.

Making a server that didn't have full loot could ruin the game because it splits the population. instead of learning to deal with the full loot system people would just roll on the one without it. they would easily get geared and a lot of them would probably get bored. 

the full loot system combined with making the player aim is what makes the game so good. alot of games have conditioned us to think that gear lead to skill/wins. it is opposite in darkfall, skill will lead to gear. not saying gear isn't important in darkfall but saying that practicing and dueling will do more for you then just grinding for gear.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160

I've heard it mentioned a few times already, but loot is very easy to acquire in this game. You die and you lose your stuff? So what!... you can get the stuff back again and again and again...  . farm, craft, kill other players, there are so many methods available to get stuff... 

Items in this game are designed to be expendable. If you look at it this way... sure when they kill you, they take your stuff, but they don't take your skill gains(which are what really matter). Over time, you will learn to bank often and have many copies(sets) of armor,weapons, etc, ready to go right after you die.

What I love about Darkfall is that gear does not define the player... the player defines the player. People will respect YOU and not your gear.

I've seen plenty of half naked players with starter weapons kill others fully geared simply because they lacked skill. 

- On a side note, maybe AV could allow players to insure gear at a costly price. This might help skeptics of a full loot FFA system from judging prematurely and play long enough to know what they are missing. However, I would not be a fan of this system ether, but I'm willing to compromise a bit.

• NatrisNatris Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by zimike - On a side note, maybe AV could allow players to insure gear at a costly price. This might help skeptics of a full loot FFA system from judging prematurely and play long enough to know what they are missing. However, I would not be a fan of this system ether, but I'm willing to compromise a bit.

You mean a system for generating money via repeated ganking? Or to make it that some of dropped stuff breaks? Since just removing durability would not work, people usually pvp with min dura stuff anyway. Not really applicable I am afraid.

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Sicc1
    There's plenty of games for people like you. Let us have one.

This.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by king0fmars
    I wasn't even sure what you were complaining about but now I understand. The entire game is based off of the concept of full loot for dead players. If that is your "only" complaint for the game you have a serious lack of understanding what the game is about. If you cannot get past all your posessions being lootable then Darkfall just is not for you.

The entire game was not built around full loot, full loot is a feature thats it.  Its either on or off, neither of which breaks the game.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    I wasn't even sure what you were complaining about but now I understand. The entire game is based off of the concept of full loot for dead players. If that is your "only" complaint for the game you have a serious lack of understanding what the game is about. If you cannot get past all your posessions being lootable then Darkfall just is not for you.

The entire game was not built around full loot, full loot is a feature thats it.  Its either on or off, neither of which breaks the game.

Stop being so obtuse!  Tradeskills,resources,economy and crafting would be quickly rendered useless without full loot. As you only have one character, there would be no demand once characters were geared,  I'm not sure why you insist on talking about things you clearly have NO understanding of. image

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by snapfusion

This is a completely inaccurate statement.  I'm assuming you haven't played the game?

Darkfall is about risk vs. reward.  For the first 6 months I played the game every time I got jumped at a mob spawn or had a random pvp encounter my hands would shake, my blood pressure would sky rocket, my face would turn red, I'd even stop breathing.  No other game has come close to that level of excitement for me and it is all based around the idea of full loot.

If there is no risk, you don't care when you die, you don't care when you win, and it becomes an MMOFPS instead of an MMORPG.  Darkfall is about PvP (all shapes and sizes), politics, and risk vs. reward.  These 3 things are all intertwined intimately.  

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if there were a non full loot server and a full loot server, wouldnt the people who want the game full loot play on one and the people who dont play on the other?

and wouldnt that mean that everyone is happy?

especially Aventurine who lets be honest could probably use the extra funds of a few thousand subscriptions?

what is the real motivation for having there be multiple servers with varying rule-sets?  to force your own way of play on others who might like a different game?  to somehow feel superior over "ganking jackasses" or "no skill carebears"? (not to mention the many many  people like myself who consider ourselves somewhere in the middle?)

if AV makes more money because more people play the game and that means more development and expansions and patches and advertising and SUCCESS, wouldnt that be good for everyone regardless of how they want to play the game?

thanks for reading and letting me indulge in a rhetorical moment :)

itch

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

I thought I would hate full loot when I first played DF... I actually ended up liking it.

It made you think ahead and plan before doing things.

If I was going out with my clan or was going to war to steal a city... I would fully suit up... I had to.

If I was just going to grind out some weapon skills and pick up some gold if I make it back to a bank.. I might go out with minimal gear.

• zimikezimike Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by Natris
    Originally posted by zimike - On a side note, maybe AV could allow players to insure gear at a costly price. This might help skeptics of a full loot FFA system from judging prematurely and play long enough to know what they are missing. However, I would not be a fan of this system ether, but I'm willing to compromise a bit.

You mean a system for generating money via repeated ganking? Or to make it that some of dropped stuff breaks? Since just removing durability would not work, people usually pvp with min dura stuff anyway. Not really applicable I am afraid.

Oh, I simply meant a system that might allow you to keep an item that was insured if killed. This item would not show up under the players tombstone and would ether spawn in the players bank or with the player when they respawn.

The cost for insuring the item would be high enough to question whether you want to insure it or risk it. I feel more players will take the risk, rather then lose gold on insuring stuff.

This could also be perhaps limited to certain types of items and they could not be traded while being insured. You would have to remove the insurance with no refund of your gold.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

....if the people who say the actually want to play this game, dont.   :)   Oh and If I can avoid getting gang raped while paying 15/mo for the "privelage". 

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Sicc1
    There's plenty of games for people like you. Let us have one.

I wrote my first response with {/sarcasm on}  but upon reading what Sicc wrote...you know. He is right.  SO, Im NOT in any way shape or form going to play DF2.  Not even gonna do a trial.  It is not my game, I dont have the skills or reflexes for it.  I commend those who do. I honestly hope DF2 is all you hope it to be.  I hope yall have fun gang raping each other ( little more sarcasm, cant help myself) till your fingers bleed. Seriously, honestly I do. Every player type deserves their game.  I hope DF2 is all of yours, the fans of gang raping (lol sorry) game to end all games.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    I'm not sure what the game even offers other than FFA PVP.  That's not an attack, I just don't know enough about the game.  FFA PVP is a deal breaker on its own for me, so I never looked into the game.
    Originally posted by helthros

Full loot is part of the charm. In EVE Online there's a saying that somewhat applies to this game - "Don't fly what you can't afford to lose".

If you want to walk around in the super badass armor or with tons of coin on your person, then you better be ready to deal with the aftermath of losing it. That risk vs reward plays a HUGE part in any good sandbox.

Having said that, the next major part of any good sandbox is the community and aligning yourself with others. That FFA Full Loot has a lot more purpose behind it when you're looting a sworn enemy.

In themeparks you send your fallen foe to the grave, he incurs a minor silver penalty in repairs at best, but he's really no worse for the wear other than maybe a bruised ego. In sandbox games with looting it's that much more exciting and brings a whole new meaning to guilds/corps and the alliances/enemies that develop as a result.

Yeah, you will see little clans of thieves who go around looking for that person who travels alone in full armor.  Stalking them until they are far enough away from civilization to be helped. 

Fun stuff really, makes you think twice about how you travel or who you travel with.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    I'm not sure what the game even offers other than FFA PVP.  That's not an attack, I just don't know enough about the game.  FFA PVP is a deal breaker on its own for me, so I never looked into the game.

It is not necessarily FFA pvp, there are consequences to attacking anyone you want.

Like any other game there is a form of leveling up just in this game leveling up is just becoming better at skills. 

When I played the most fun I had was when I joined a clan.  We started off joining an alliance.  My clan was a small 10-20 player clan that acted as guerrilla warfare. 

We would attack a city or village to try to draw an opposing alliances members to that city and leave our target less defended.

We also would pick off stragglers from the other clans that were not running in large enough packs when they tried to defend the actual city we were stealing.

A good portion of the time we did not do Clan Vs Clan Pvp we went out as a group farming for tradeskill items, money, armor, or just to skill up.  The PvE in the game was annoying at first because it seemed difficult to loot the mobs before they respawned so going in as groups was very beneficial... plus people could steal loot from your kills.

In essence pve is similar to other games where you do PvE to level up or farm stuff.  More difficult mobs offered higher rewards.

The game is much more fun than a FFA PvP game or a regular FPS game there is a lot more involved.  Losing all your loot just really adds to the game really.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I think a lot of people who have little or no experience with DF have a lot of misunderstandings about the game and the FFA full loot PvP thing.

If you were to take another game, for example WoW, where you spend tons of time raiding, etc to get really amazing gear, and they suddenly turned it into a Full Loot PvP game.... yes it would be absolute crap.

But thats not what DF is. The entire game is designed around losing gear. If you dont lose it to other players, its going to break eventually anyway.

Its not as if people run around in DF with full sets of uber gear and it sthe only gear they have and it completely screws them if they lose it. After playing the game for a couple of weeks you will literally have BAGS of gear in your bank. After playing about 2 months I had hundreds of spare weapons, various pieces of armor, consumables, etc sitting in my bank between farming mobs, crafting, and PvPing.

As someone else mentioned, theres a pretty basic rule to follow. Dont take what you cant afford to lose. What that means is, dont go out in your best gear when you dont have anything else good to replace it. Take some mid-grade gear, go farm a bit for some new gear, or get crafting mats and make more, then go out in your good stuff.

The people youll see running around in "good" gear do it because they can afford to lose it because theyve invested tons of time in building up their reserves, getting their crafting up to make it, or making enough money to buy it. But in all honesty, that "good" gear isnt that much better than stuff that is a lot easier to get. Youll be able to hit a little harder and take a little more damage, but if you suck at the game youre goin to die and lose your gear regardless of how good it is. At the same time, good players can run around in crap gear and farm people for their good stuff.

If you get to a point where yourse really desperate for gear, go out in some of the worst stuff you have, find a large battle going on between other people, hide, and wait. Corpses get left behind constantly in the heat of battle and if youre quick you can get in, loot the corpses for some gear, and get back out before anyone notices youre there.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

One way to do it would be to have a random chance of equipped item(s) being lootable upon death, just like in Lineage. But that would mean a complete redesign of crafting and itemization of the game. It would also bring DF closer to the gear-grind type of game, which is a bad thing imho.

The best approach to FFA loot is to have zones of decreasing safety, much like EVE does. This way players that are not familiar with the genre or that don't feel like risking too much have a relatively safe spot to play in, while those daring enough to venture farther out may do so at their own risk and for increased rewards.

If AV are smart this time, they'll probably have something similar implemented in DF:UW

Wish granted.  If you are close to a city you can run to the city for protection.  If you are far from the city you are at a higher risk depending on how far away you are.