Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will I ever be any good ?

2»

Comments

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by cheyane

I need some advice on one other thing. It is about the camera. My son says that I have to let the camera be free you know where if you hit the edge of the screen your view moves there instead of me in the center. Presently I use the little rectangle on the mini map to see what is going on but he says I can never be any good unless I let the camera be free. I cannot play like that it makes me a little sick and I get a headache I cannot focus well and I am making a tonne of mistakes trying to play like that. Does that make such a huge difference or can I keep doing what I am doing ? I do not think I can play with the camera free I might as well give up now.

The other thing is I am wondering by trying really hard I managed to kill 6 champions yesterday with Master Yi but it is so hard for me to manage it and one person who was playing Le Blanc on another game killed 43. The gap is so huge ,I know it cannot be the champion because someone else who played Master Yi managed a high number too. Does the fact that they have a level 30 with full runes and masteries make that big of an impact on their powers. I hope to eventually get somewhere I can also see numbers like that but who am I kidding huh . Well anything you might wish to share will be graetly appreciated and thank you Master 10k for indulging me.

It helps a lot early game to have a full ruin page and lvl 30 masteries but, once you start getting items built it's more about that. Champs mechanics work differently as well. Someone like yi is a carry - they generally start out fairy weak but, they scale really well and become monsterously powerful end game. Most of your ranged champs work like that also - start out squishy and easy to kill early game - by end game they are a beast.

Some champs never get to be the killers - support champs for instance (they aren't always played support but, when playing that role..), sona, soraka, blitzcrank, alistar, nunu - if played as support - should try hard to make sure not to get the kill but, to assist the "carry" in securing the kill. They generally start out the game buying wards and gold over time items such as heart of gold and philosophers stone... This way the carry gets fed and they still make money by having the gold per 10 seconds items...

• steelfinsteelfin Member UncommonPosts: 121
    play annie.  best champ ever.  very easy to play and she hits a lot of damage
  • Lt.DeadendLt.Deadend Member Posts: 325

The normal que has a hidden elo, so play there as much as possible and dont get a xp boost.

Support is a great roll,  and soraka can carry you into a average player. and to a high elo.

dont waist IP on runes till your lvl 20.

you only want to waist time in bot games  if you dont know your champion, other wise @ 50 minns of your time, you want to be getting exposed to players an what they do.

go to solomid.net and watch streams, there is good supports that stream sometimes like" Mspudding ,. or xpecial, or elements.

there is allso TiensiNoAkuma ,. cant beleave I may have spelt that name right, his ( tips an tricks videos on utube) are perfect for new players.

Best advice i can give is ,.  picture this game like a sport, the field stays the same, and there is positions to be played.

solo top - ap or ad

mid - AP

Jungle - ap or ad

Bot - Ranged AD carry

Bot - Support

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Based on playing DOTA in WC3, I have to assume the abuse will be horrible in PVP games.

At this point in my life I don't want the stress of rated PVP games.  I would have to really know how to dominate with lots of heroes in bot games before I tried playing people.  I just wouldn't want the grief and have no interest in trying to be good at a game like this.  They seem to stress me out a lot more than FPS games do.  Probably due to the death penalty and feeding opponents.

• Lt.DeadendLt.Deadend Member Posts: 325

yea dont play ranked games till you really know this game,. but play normal games.

Ranters an flamers are the worst an they may loose the game for you,.they make people leave ,. or they troll with bad items or feed.

but when there not around you can win more then they do,. in time you will be at a higher elo and there is a lot less of them.

Normal games have a hidden elo, when you start to see junglers a lot  on both teams you made it,. your out of the trash can.

Originally posted by Lt.Deadend

yea dont play ranked games till you really know this game,. but play normal games.

Ranters an flamers are the worst an they may loose the game for you,.they make people leave ,. or they troll with bad items or feed.

but when there not around you can win more then they do,. in time you will be at a higher elo and there is a lot less of them.

Normal games have a hidden elo, when you start to see junglers a lot  on both teams you made it,. your out of the trash can.

How many different heroes should you be good at in order to be successful.  I mean, can you just pick say 6-10 heroes to master and still be competitive?  You obviously have to learn how to deal with the other heroes when they face you.

I have a hard time with the support classes and it's harder to judge my own effectiveness in them if they aren't designed for PKs.

Also, what is the status of cheating.  Are maphacks impossible in LOL?  They always worried me in DOTA in WC3.  Does LOL hide other player movement from the client until the fog is lifted? 

I assume there are still tons of trash talkers in unranked games?

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

How many different heroes should you be good at in order to be successful.  I mean, can you just pick say 6-10 heroes to master and still be competitive?  You obviously have to learn how to deal with the other heroes when they face you.

I have a hard time with the support classes and it's harder to judge my own effectiveness in them if they aren't designed for PKs.

Also, what is the status of cheating.  Are maphacks impossible in LOL?  They always worried me in DOTA in WC3.  Does LOL hide other player movement from the client until the fog is lifted? 

Honestly, for PvP Normals you can get away with just having 1 champ that you play as. If someone else takes that champ, or if that champion really isn't what your team needs, just exit the game and try again in 5 minutes. Nobody expects you to be able to be competent with half a dozen champions for your first PvP game. Even after 500+ wins in normal and a few dozen in ranked, so far there are only 11 champions that I feel comfortable playing.

There are many reasons why it's hard to gauge your effectiveness with supports in bot matches. Bots don't engage intelligently and they don't back away intelligently, so the zone control skills that you should be practicing are just going to waste. Also you don't have to ward, and your 0cs (0 creep score; the support isn't supposed to kill the minions) also goes to waste because your ad carry isn't terribly dependent upon getting creep kills—they can kill the bots over and over fairly easily for gold.

The only cheat I've heard of is loldrop, which does a DDoS attack on a specific game server in order to crash a game before you lose it (and it shouldn't work anymore, they changed something about the way servers keep track of games). Spectators get all info on the players but they're on a 3 minute delay to avoid cheating. I'm pretty sure there is no way to map hack.

• AnghelAnghel Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I assume there are still tons of trash talkers in unranked games?

Oh yeah, there's trash talkers in about any game mode in league of legends. Being ranked or unranked has absolutely no bearing in it. 

I have also noticed that during the day is when you find the most trash talkers in game, although I really can't play enough during the day to be able to tell you how much difference it is. But I'd say considering the ratio of plays either during the day or later at night, during the day you get the most trash talk and really unfriendly players.

----------------------------------

As for the OP, two games don't really define how good you will be in LoL, ignore your son (in this matter) unless he is giving you some constructive feedback. Getting into the game may take some time, you may or may not get into it but you won't be able to tell until you have done a considerable amount of games. I always tell my weaker friends to get into Co-op vs AI to get used to a few champions then once they got used to how they work go for a few normal matches (may not win the first few). Also should mention that you should check websites such as solomid to help you pick adequate items and level the correct skills first. Other than that "GOOD LUCK!", see you on the summoner's rift :).

• LerxstLerxst Member UncommonPosts: 647

Short answer - No.

LoL was released in 2009, people who are "experienced" players have about 3+ years of experience on you.  After 8 years of experince in any task, a couple years won't matter, but with games like this, 5 years or so is all you get before the next greatest craze takes hold of the Internet.  Even if you play til the games dies out, you'll only be half as good as the good players.

In addition, this game is heavily based on items and character builds.  Buy the wrong items, wrong runes or study the wrong masteries and you'll shoot yourself in the foot.  If you get matched against players with twice the level as you (especially at lower levels), you're also going to suffer horribly since they have twice as many bonuses to choose from in those areas as well.

You're just not going to end up in a fair fight in this game at this point in time... ever.

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by cheyane

I am a housewife whose son insists I cannot play this game because I am too old at 51. I tried and I am presently just learning to play the second tutorial and I suck. 

Some background I am an Everquest player from when it launched in 1999  who has played almost every MMORPG and I have played Starcraft 2 and Dawn of War and Warcraft 3 ,just a bit of the latter. I know my RTS knowledge is quite small but this is just to give you an idea of how I play. I bind all  my skills on a G700 mouse when I play MMORPG and I have pvped mainly in WoW bgs. I enjoy playing support in City of X I played controller with heal secondary of shielding MM or a straight out priest in WoW. I however PvPed in WoW as a shaman and druid.

I enjoyed watching the gamspot DOTA 2 vids and that was how my interest got sparked to LoL. However I am quite afraid my son might be right. I want to try a support role so in your opnion how should I work to my goal and which character should I buy with my points to help me get to a support role and will support be easier for me to play in LoL or should I try ranged dps like ashe.

as with literally everything in life. you will only be as good at something as the amount of time and effort you invest. if you want to get good their are two key things you have to do 1) repeated practice 2) acquire knowledge. everyone meets 1 simply by playing the game on a regular bases. most people lack 2 because all they do is play. you need to be sure your doing things like reading guides, and not just champions but tactics/strategy as well. their are tons of resources for this all over the internet. knowing how something or why something is done is the first step to proper execution.