Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Marvel Super Hero Squad Online: Hero Up!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Marvel Super Hero Squad Online is one of those terrific cross over games that appeal to both adults and kids. We've been working on "hero-ing up" with a resident Mini-me and have our first ever review of Marvel Super Hero Squad Online. Check it out!

I have to admit, I was extremely excited to be assigned to review Marvel Super Hero Squad Online. Sure, most people get stoked about the huge budget big name games, but I was all about this one. Now let me explain: I’ve played a number of “kid” MMOs over the years. There are some great ones out there with a surprising amount of depth. I also have three boys, ages 13, 11 and 4 who are all hugely into video games and anything superhero related. And finally, I’m a huge Marvel fan myself. Even if I don’t really read the comics much anymore, I keep up with what’s going on in the universe as much as possible and I love the movies. For the purposes of this review, I’ve enlisted the help of my four year old. Trust me, he didn’t mind. He’s been watching the Super Hero Squad TV show through Netflix on his tablet for the past couple of months and has been on a full on superhero kick lately. 

Read more of Richard Cox's Marvel Super Hero Squad Online: Hero Up!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I can't seems to try this game properly, i get fatal content errors left and right when i play it.

EDIT: finally got past the endless fatal content crashes, still a few remaining but they aint as common now that the whole game is downloaded.

The game still has very annoying sound bugs, like, if you are in a mission with other players and that you skip the scoring at the end and quit the mission, you would still hear the sound of the scoring rolling, like trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... until i get into another mission and press Start Mission.

Another sound bug is that the game eventually lose its voices, nothing speaks anymore until you basically restart the game, very annoying due to the fact that the voice is a good clue of the bosses moves.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I actually enjoy this game, but in spurts. It gets redundant, but I started playing at the begging of my nephew, and the hours flew by. He and I were slamming missions like kid-friendly vodka shots, and as I got money for more heroes to play and level, that "collector" fever kicked it. But I find it burns me out pretty quickly, which is fine since it's not really meant to be a long-term distraction for anyone but the childrenz.

Just the same, the game is more fun than I thought it would be, even as an occasional side distraction, and it's probably one of the few (if not only) video games you'll actually enjoy playing with your little ones.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Since the show was cancelled a while back in surprisedthis got a lookin.

I will show it to my 4 yr old.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325

I started writing a review for this a month or two ago, but never finished and published it. Maybe I'll get to it eventually, but since I and my four year old daughter aren't playing this much I probably won't.

The short of it from my point of view as a parent is that this game is too shallow. I would rather have a game which isn't just a total waste of time. Adult MMO's have quests in which the players help the NPC's or paticipate in some larger story. While these quests usually amount to killing stuff, in Super Hero Squad the story and helping others have been thrown aside and all you do is basic missions of defeating enemies. I think that watching TV is better than this.

I got to this game because my daughter occsaionally asks for Spiderman or Batman content, and I eventually found this game and thought it would help give her a fix of at least Spiderman, but of course Spiderman is double the cost of the other heroes, which I feel it a cynical money grab.

My daughter still enjoys the memory game occasionally, and I think it's well done, apart from the fact it switches from full screen to windowed mode.

In terms of mechanics and graphics Marvel Super Hero Squad works well, but I wish that someone would create a game like this which is more like a good traditional MMO, with voiceovers and character interaction, perhaps crafting, etc. I don't mind having to sit with my daughter to play it, I just want to feel that there's some actual content.

• InHidingInHiding Member Posts: 3
    I love this game, and I try to play it every day. I'm also 15. What I discovered is that kids games are generally more fun then "adult" games. Developers feel as though they need to reward kids more-- and the game reflects that. Every time i end a mission I'm greeted by clapping, fireworks, glitter, confetti, cheering, and my hero dances and claps. It's great. There's plenty of "cool" stuff for teenagers in this game, namely Ghost Rider, who is the epitome of bike logos gone wild. Also, there's content nearly every week, which is sorely lacking in other games. People familiar with the Marvel Universe will recognize less known heroes and try to guess what heroes are coming next. It's really a game for Marvel fans, made by Marvel fans. If you look past the initial "kid-friendly" vibe and realize that this game was made by adults for fans, then it makes the game even more enjoyable. What other Marvel game has Hope Summers? :D