Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why WoW has been continually successful - "It's the content stupid!"

13»

Comments

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Hm this is funny.

Everyone claims only kids play WoW but i play since release and in every guild i have been in, the majority of the players were from 25 to 50 yy old, many married with other guild members and the few kids that actually played it were quite well behaved, and usually were the children of some of the players in said guild.

Now granted, i probably only met like an 1% of the playerbase in my lifetime, but so has everyone else so my view is as valid as everyone else so.... now i claim only grown ups play WoW, cause in my chats it´s full of nice people.

Generalizing ftw.

People tend to sterotype that the average player is an immare high schooler who has yet to grow into their balls because of all the immature conduct they see rampant when in fact all these "kiddo" behavior is really done by adults.  Internet brings uninhiberation in people, people are real brave over the internet due to lack of any real confrontation when in the real world they worold they would never do that.

In short people are real asses in general and immaturity runs rampant even in the adult crowd.  Look at EVE, you had the most aholes, immaturity(seen countless high schooler smack talking), and rude people there and yet by far that is prolly the most adult crowd of all the MMOs.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by eddieg50

And that is why they have 11 million players now.

heh looking at the results of MoM I  bet they don't have half of that now even counting the Chinese players

I miss DAoC

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Content is nice. Being able to access that content is priceless. Many games have "endless" content for the rate casuals consume the content but most of them fail at the accessibility or hope of accessibility. There are lots of reasons for this, population levels, barrier to entry for the content (stay with the herd or be left behind till the next expansion is a common problem), grind time to advance, among other issues. Really though, WoW gets a lot of things right. It isn't just the content but the entire package.

Obviously the game is not for everyone and getting the package correct the way WoW does is not easy or we'd see more successes. Blizzard is generally good at mass appeal; it is what they do so it is understandable that WoW is the biggest MMO.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

The reason why you keep reading these regurgitated lines is many people have played WOW and came to the same conclusion I have, it is  a game that is very good at attracting younger gamers. Does this mean that a 42 yr old may want to play it? YES especially if he has teens who play, it is a great way to bond with your kid. It is unlikely a younger player is going to be attracted to a game like Eve, or TSW or fallen Earth or an older game like Anarchy online , Ryzom or even games like Vanguard where Diplomacy or the crafting system is to much for their instant grat brain.

Blizzard had great strategy, "lets attract younger players, they have a lot more spare time to play, they will either pay for a sub themselves or get money  from their parents"  And that is why they have 11 million players now.

Hey I perfectly understand, what person over the age of 25 would want to admit to playing WOW especially after they listen to world chat.  I played WOW and after a little while I felt kind of embarrised by it, so I can certainly understand

Oh, i am sorry, i thought we were actually having a grown up exchange of opinions rather than a junior psychology lesson and a 101 in sterotyping?

Sorry to skew your vision, but i am a 42 year old man who plays the game for his own entertainment and i bond with my kids the old fashioned way, you know, actually talking to them and spending time with them, but that's just me.

I guess that i am just one of those people that is secure enough in his own maturity to not let myself become embarrassed by a few other people acting up and if i started to worry about what other people thought about my personal choices at my age i would never get anything done, but i also understand that there are people who do put a lot of stock in what others think of them and feel much better when they melt into the crowd and i'm sure that is fine too :).

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by gexz7
    Fact in the USA we have no Zoos with Pandas and when we do, we borrow them from one country, China.  Second Pandas are mythical and spiritual to the Chinese people and have been for over two million years.  Many gold farming companies are in China, what better way to keep this group entertained then to insert cultural and historical references?  Therefore, the next time you call us racists maybe you ought to evaluate the true context of racism.  Its not racist to promote a belief of a people and according to your theory since here in America we have racists or hate groups we should have a ton of movies and games with Martin King Luther or Malcolm X.  True story we have none but we do have folks who are racists, racism never promotes a happy feeling in anything certainly not a game. 

Panda as referred to by the Chinese means large bearcat, 

My friend you are insane for thinking that somehow this expansion is racist, maybe you are the racist. Kung Fu Panda probably did badly in China because it was comical, desecrated a fighting tradition and attempted to Americanize a cultural reference adored by its people, and was a Childs movie that at 2% still was viewed by 20 million Chinese people!

well done... applause

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Shadoed

The reason why you keep reading these regurgitated lines is many people have played WOW and came to the same conclusion I have, it is  a game that is very good at attracting younger gamers. Does this mean that a 42 yr old may want to play it? YES especially if he has teens who play, it is a great way to bond with your kid. It is unlikely a younger player is going to be attracted to a game like Eve, or TSW or fallen Earth or an older game like Anarchy online , Ryzom or even games like Vanguard where Diplomacy or the crafting system is to much for their instant grat brain.

Blizzard had great strategy, "lets attract younger players, they have a lot more spare time to play, they will either pay for a sub themselves or get money  from their parents"  And that is why they have 11 million players now.

Hey I perfectly understand, what person over the age of 25 would want to admit to playing WOW especially after they listen to world chat.  I played WOW and after a little while I felt kind of embarrised by it, so I can certainly understand

Oh, i am sorry, i thought we were actually having a grown up exchange of opinions rather than a junior psychology lesson and a 101 in sterotyping?

Sorry to skew your vision, but i am a 42 year old man who plays the game for his own entertainment and i bond with my kids the old fashioned way, you know, actually talking to them and spending time with them, but that's just me.

I guess that i am just one of those people that is secure enough in his own maturity to not let myself become embarrassed by a few other people acting up and if i started to worry about what other people thought about my personal choices at my age i would never get anything done, but i also understand that there are people who do put a lot of stock in what others think of them and feel much better when they melt into the crowd and i'm sure that is fine too :).

You told me your age in another post, I believe you  LOL. It looks like I hit a nerve there, dont worry just having some fun. People take these posts on mmorpg.com way to seriously.  Yes I still believe based on my and others experiences that WOW attracts and does a good job of keeping a younger population and that adults do play and apparantly have fun also, but Panda's really , I can see the brain trust at Blizzard thinking "we have the US , how can we get young Asians to play WOW------Alltogether now   PANDA'S"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

??Originally posted by gexz7
    Fact in the USA we have no Zoos with Pandas and when we do, we borrow them from one country, China. Second Pandas are mythical and spiritual to the Chinese people and have been for over two million years. 

WTF?

Are you Chinese? If not please don't make up shit, because that my friend is pretty racist.

I've been Chinese for the last 35 years and I've never heard of pandas being "mythical" to us.

Dragon is mythical to us. Chinese are "Sons and Daughters of the Dragons".

Panda is merely an animal that eats our bamboo.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

played wow till january ,i quit after what 7 years or so ,i just wwhen to gw2 .initial thaught .more of the same!boy was i wrong!

phi brain puzzle alone will keep you entertained for a while!like the little guy first is a trainers phi brain puzzle to give you an idea of what to expect!then you get a bit harder phi brain puzzle in the reactor area you basicly find the matrix key then charge it then go in the locked area .you die you have to redo the wholle mess to go in again!this is at level 15 ish!

i tested other starting zone surprisingly it looks like the other zone are harder to find those phi brain puzzle but make no mistake they are there .and if there is an end game in this game it is or will be in this form .why?the paying of hight is a huge thing i dont mean a small step some place you dont see the actual path  you have to take to go down .but you know there is one cause you see a path on the other side.this is the training area!but at end game?i suspect these will or are impossible to find . i think i found one but its a vine so twisted and all i will have to wrap my mind on the concept tried it a few time but the effect of turning and jumping on a vine got me dizzy ,i had to rest lol!never met such good fun and challenge in games!there is a vine bridge,that bridge as  subtle air flow on it and if you dont pay attention you will die.when you see it just stay there for 2 minute count how many die trying to cross that .the mechanic is actually simple but very effective at keeping you at bay and if arenanet really push these phi brain puzzle like changing them into raid pvp stylle content ?outch outch outch.the reactor is full of ice golem to go up ,if you were to have foe at the top in pvp and allie at bottom both needing to reach each others start area ,this could end up in mayhem very quick!that is one exemple among the multitude.ya you guessed it gw2 is very very fun!and contrary to wow fairly inexxpensive

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I will admit I did play WoW.  I also did enjoy playing the game for a little while. 

I think WoW's success comes from one major factor that previous MMO's did not capture.

WoW grabbed the young generation with their cartoon like graphics and their rewarding for minimal effort challenges.  Little kids were drawn in to play the game because they loved the cartoon graphics the game offered,

Now once the children played, they got hooked even more because they were good at the game.  They could easily pick up a glowing item on the ground, turn it in and be rewarded with a shiny new sword!  (Yes there were more difficult quests... but not really, you get rewarded for almost nothing). 

Little kids got lured into the MMO with the graphics and hooked because they felt like they were accomplishing something.  Now they start telling their friends and they can all get together and play with each other EVEN AT HOME !!! 

As with many MMO, they also captured the older generation who had been playing MMO's but was looking for a change. 

So congratulations to Blizzard for that.

However, there were some negative side effects.  This generation got older and is now the market for modern MMOs.  These children, now young adults are still addicted to this feel good receive rewards for doing nothing type games.  (Some of these players are now finally seeking more of a challenge but it cannot be found anywhere)  Every game tries to clone EQ2 and WoW.  It draws in many MMOers with hopes of the finding the next great MMO, but all are upset to see the clones.

WoW's succeeds still because many people figure they might as well play the real thing and not the knock-off version.

Now people like me and the older generation (not necessarily older but the generation who were fortunate enough to experience the real fun in previous MMO's prior to WoW)  are unable to find a game that brings back the good memories we all had in the late 90s and early 2000s prior to the children MMO's that are no being produced.

All current MMO's want to continue and build on WoW's success so they try to copy 98% of the game, and add one little 2% twist to their version.  They hope to capture this WoW generation and then continue by capturing the NEW children that will be the next generation of MMO's.  However, as I stated before nobody is playing the knock off versions, they are playing the real thing.

And the players who started MMO's are left waiting for the next MMO that will implement our preferences, this generations preferences, and the next generations preferences... which I do not see in the near future.

However, for me I do not see a good MMO that I really want to play, so I will continue to try these PvP MMO hoping to have that balance of risk vs reward restored once again until I find that MMO that stops promoting the foodstamp/welfare system WoW offers.

[mod edit]

Gay...

STOP BUYING WORLD OF WELFARE AND ALL OF ITS CLONES!!!

No, I actually did play then... I just only found it to be entertaining for about a month, then the remainder of my time on there I just went [mod edit] arena 2v2 and 3v3. 

But the majority of my post is stating that WoW grabbed the current MMOers at the time, but they also grabbed the children.  [mod edit]

If you actually read it you will see that I am actually congratulating WoW for what they did... but at the same time thanking them for ruining future  MMO's. [mod edit]

This was the typical 2v2 competition.  Typically this would have been the only challenge I would have in my 1v2 arena because there was another warlock. 

Ok ok ok... when you mod edit my stuff can you at least make the sentence you consider hateful to not come off as child molester like....

Really you take out the words and make my sentence end with they grabbed the children.

Not to mention your edits make me come off worse than the unedited version.

Gotta remember I can't use the Q or W word.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

This generation got older and is now the market for modern MMOs. These children, now young adults are still addicted to this feel good receive rewards for doing nothing type games. (Some of these players are now finally seeking more of a challenge but it cannot be found anywhere) Every game tries to clone EQ2 and WoW. It draws in many MMOers with hopes of the finding the next great MMO, but all are upset to see the clones.

WoW's succeeds still because many people figure they might as well play the real thing and not the knock-off version.

Now people like me and the older generation (not necessarily older but the generation who were fortunate enough to experience the real fun in previous MMO's prior to WoW) are unable to find a game that brings back the good memories we all had in the late 90s and early 2000s prior to the children MMO's that are no being produced.

All current MMO's want to continue and build on WoW's success so they try to copy 98% of the game, and add one little 2% twist to their version. They hope to capture this WoW generation and then continue by capturing the NEW children that will be the next generation of MMO's. However, as I stated before nobody is playing the knock off versions, they are playing the real thing.

And the players who started MMO's are left waiting for the next MMO that will implement our preferences, this generations preferences, and the next generations preferences... which I do not see in the near future.

This guy knows what's up.

This discussion has been closed.