Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: No Game is Perfect

2»

Comments

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I have to agree with every issue and in particular the armor one. best game launch I ever was in was LoTRO and worst was probably a tie between SWG and the short lived Auto Assualt.. GW2 is somewhere in between loTRO and swg for me. I am a huge fan of the overall design though, and with  a BTP model can only see it improving over time. It took LoTRO a while to get the best parts of that game in and I am willing to give GW2 a few months  to get it togeher. At least I am not having to pay a monthly while they work on it.

I miss DAoC

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

No mention of all the stolen/hacked accounts either?

There's people with passwords along the lines of 435FD934u8jg8Z0j4g90j4895  that have had their accounts stolen multiple times.

The actual game is also beyond flawed to put it lightly...

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by zellmer

No mention of all the stolen/hacked accounts either?

There's people with passwords along the lines of 435FD934u8jg8Z0j4g90j4895  that have had their accounts stolen multiple times.

The actual game is also beyond flawed to put it lightly...

For the most part, these people get their accounts hacked because they reuse their strong passwords for both the game and something else (guild forums for instance).  The something else ends up having poor security and the password is compromised, then the hacker simply goes and tries to access the game using the same credentials or small variations and sees if they are lucky.

• jakinjakin Member UncommonPosts: 243
    Originally posted by Xasapis

Well, WvW has many issues design wise.

• First of all, the outmanned buff is totally useless as anything besides an indication that you don't have enough people on to do anything constructive in WvW.
    • Then you have the scoring system, which is totally broken. Score is dictated by the server who has a presence 24/7. It doesn't matter what quality of players the server has, if you can cap the majority of keeps during the night and keep them as much as possible during the day, you'll get a huge point bonus.
    • Due to the above problem, the people on the non 24/7 servers will be demoralised and unwilling to upgrade their keeps/towers. What's the point anyway, when whatever they upgrade will be lost, not because they are bad and got owned, but because there was nowhere there to protect it. In the end, you can throw so much gold down a pointless drain.

I'll give you the outmanned buff being rather pointless, but the scoring system isn't a design issue, it's a player comprehension issue.

The "scores" in WvWvW are taken far too seriously - as if they are some kind of scoreboard and the one with the most points is "winning" the match.  That's actually not the case.  The scores are there to figure out who should be matched with who.  If a server has a 24/7 presence they will naturally accumulate more points as they will hold more objectives for longer than a server with only a strong peak population.

In time that 24/7 server will be matched with other servers that accumulate similar point values (presumably because they're 24/7 as well) and they will get the matches they deserve.

The problem with the matchmaking system as designed will come with servers that are on completely opposite activity cycles.  They'll accumulate the same point numbers and thus be matched frequently, but the play will be universally one-sided in each activity time period.  On the other hand, there are three servers in every match - chances are they won't have three equally opposed servers.

If the player population eventually figures out that the only fight that matters is the one that happens when you are online then these complaints will go away.  Sometimes your server will get stomped for a week - it'll happen, and in that time I wouldn't spend great sums on upgrading keeps either.  That's your time to suck back, reload, resupply and get ready for the next match-up by polishing your small unit tactics.

• Mariner-80Mariner-80 Member Posts: 347

My GW2 peeves:

-- Story quests that are insanely difficult with companions along to "help" you that are dumber (and weaker) than the heroes of GW1. How did that happen?

-- Random NPCs wandering about that are all clones of one another. Just look at the people wandering around Divinity's Reach and tell me you don't see the same guy with the vest but no shirt ... everywhere. It's creepy.

-- I think the crafting/discovery system is boring and tedious, though I know many people like it. I normally like crafting, but not in GW2.

-- I dislike the dodge mechanic

-- I dislike jumping puzzles that combine jumping with fighting mobs (as if the puzzle itself wasn't hard enough!)

-- I dislike skills that fire me around the battlefield (and off ledges and into other mobs) like Ricochet Rabbit

-- DEs are supposed to scale to player group size, but a few are all but impossible if you are the only one involved in them. The DEs don't seem to scale down to one player, and many of the skill points/vistas also are not soloable.

I like GW2 a lot. I've had a lot of fun with it, but it loses point in my book for these few things I don't much like.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Yamota

It is about being able to see and do different things. Not just damage but abilities that look and behave differently. Upping dmg or armor is just a number, which is nice, but imo is not enough of a feeling of progression from lvl 50-80.

So, its basically about not having enough abilities?  because I've seen tons of different stuff (some more mob variety would be nice, true).  I for one am happy I dont have 4 action bars full of situational abilities that I may use maybe once every 20-30 mins, if that.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    It seems like the problems the writer has with Guild Wars 2 are very minor... Nothing that would really stop anyone from continuing to play the game.

Smile

• YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29
    First of thing why i sould read this!

This is getting to much

If you like a game then just enjoy .. Why this drama and light to this

And btw some thing important missing in this artical
    We do not call a guy fanboy beacuse he like this game no not realy !
    Let me tell you who are the fanboies

When i write my opnion about a game and i write what i feel even if it is negitive and u see some guys answer you with bad language butting them self as a protactors to this company or this game then they are just fanboies

U can discus with me is fine

Those fanboies are many in gw2 formus
  • chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    I was annoyed at 2 skill pts bugged on a map which meant I cound't clear it. However about 3 days later a patch was released (the kind that has no notes, just 100 files or something) and I tried them again and they worked fine.  So on that note as a player I was pretty happy to see a quick turn around on a semi basic bug.
  • enntenseenntense Member UncommonPosts: 16

You forgot a few things:/  

Cultural armor and weapons...Anyone?  You can spend 20 gold per peice on armor, or spend 2 gold at the auction and get some exotic armor with better stats...oops.  Cultural weapon? 42000 karma..or go the the auction and get a better one for, yes you guessed it, about 2 gold.

Ledgendary weapons that are seemingly impossible to craft, yet do no more damage than the above 2 gold auction purchased weapon..say waht?

How you got to Orr, figured out you could stand in 1 spot and farm a re-occuring event over and over for 2-3 days and buy yourself a total set of exotic gear, with sigils and runes.

How you figured out in WvW that carrying supplies to build rams and doors and cannons with was more important than actually engaging other players in battle, so take all defensive skills, and max your health and valor, beacause all thats important, is not dying.

You found out there were no instanced raids.

You found out all boss strats were the same..run in whack it, get hit hard, run away, run around for a while while you heal, repeat.

And for me..the worst...you found out earned dungeon armor, wasn't any better than all that stuff you bought by farming for 2-3 days...Niether was the pvp gear..

Somethimes I dont want to be de-leveled into a wimp in a lower lvl zone, sometimes I wanna stomp its guts out..not an option.

OO heres a great one thats annoying..Grouping with people who deliberatly chose to do less DPS so they could get more find magic.  They should say that before joining a dungeon.."hey..I'm Loot specced".

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

Well bugs bug everyone... that's normal and hopefuly they will be fixed one day. The rest of complains are kinda "I didn't find any way to change things". For instance, when I cross zone infested with enemies, I usually go straight to closest enemy that is in my direction. This way chance of aggroing another mob is fairly low and you can jump mob from mob easily.

As for armors. I found colors make HUGE difference. If you take an armor and put white and bright colors on it, it can look very paladin-style. If you paint it with blood-red and black, you get kinda scary blood thirsty berserker look. I played with colors a bit and it can really make very big difference. Even to that extent, that two armors of the same design are almost not recognizable.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

Get the cultural armor for the asura or charr and ear/horn problem solved!

But on the real, the bugged skill points bother me. I had to wait a few weeks for the Malchors Leap (bayt) to get fixed before I could complete the zone. But it did get fixed.

My biggest gripe atm is with WvWvW. While I love it, and it brings back the glory days of southshore/tarren mill pvp, I just dont see the long term appeal. As a individual, what should my goals be in wvw? Yea the thrill of victory is wonderful, and the badges that drop lead to something (badge drop rate is horrid), but is that it for the individual?

• neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59

My biggest issues are:

-They continuely ignore balancing the classes, it's incredibly depressing playing an elementalist right now. 

- The zone dyanmic events that are suppose to be one of the best aspects of the game is just zerg rushing a dragon's foot for a few minutes until you get a chest that often has no worthwhile loot.

-As you said, BUGS, not just events, they're everywhere. There is an annoying sound bug in WvW that replaces the sound with a "Woo woo woo" noise and then there are just classical crashes.

-Inherent flaws with WvW, eventually the eternal battlegrounds devolves into AoE and siege spamming while holding onto your 1/3 of the map. You can have the biggest zerg in the world but if you have numerous arrow carts where the other side can't hit them it's impossible to win.

-Most dungeons are just endless corpse runs back to a frustrating boss/event that isn't challenging but more close to annoyingly poorly designed. For instance in AC (the most polished dungeon since it's the only one they let the public test) the scavenger mobs (forget what the creature is called) have a lunging attack that can pin you down and instantly kills you, especially if you're an elementalist lol. But the problem is their animation doesnt jump and land on you, so your character will cease moving and fall on the floor for no apparent reason and then quickly die. very quickly.

-The community is one of the worst aspects. The general population are anti-social mutes or something that never want to talk or group up to do things, and the guild and instance/group system does it's best to DISCOURAGE organized group play. Also if you critique any aspect of the game anywhere you'll be hounded by ravenous fanboys that tout their game as perfect beyond reason.

• DestructhorDestructhor Member Posts: 88
    My issues with the game(bugs aside). I kerp loosing my mouse cursor on screen(make it red and flashy or something ). No way to turn down just particle effects that I can find. Finally explorable mode final bosses, some are just flat out impossible, I lov a challenge but if after readjusting your strategy 10 times you can't make any headway then something is wrong.
  • lacslyerlacslyer Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Tawn47
    Originally posted by lacslyer

Any other game that would have these kind of issues, especially WoW, would get a stupid amount of criticism, yet when GW2 does it then it's ok because they'll get around to fixing it.

And yet here you are criticising it..   GW2 is getting plenty of criticism, like any other game.  I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that GW2 is getting special treatment when the forum is full of (IMO mostly unreasonable) complaints.

I'd go as far as to say that GW2 gets unfairly treated in the opposite direction (but im not going to make a big thing of it - people are entitled to their opinions), so get off your high horse and stop being so biased.

I noticed you only used part of my quote in your reply, whereas the remainder of my comment had to do with criticism coming from people who are paid to post on this site, not from a random person. In that case, I expect the person criticizing to leave their bias at the door, because that's essentially what they're paid for. 

Not sure why you think I'm biased either, as my criticisms of the game are completely warranted. Meanwhile, posters like the OP completely write off those criticisms as 'they'll get around to it' or acting as though they're only minor issues, when they're things that shouldn't be in a finished product. The proof of bias for this game is in this article itself. Known issues and features of the game that should have been fixed prior to release are being looked over as though they're only minor issues, when any other highly publicized game would get criticized for it, especially something like WoW. 

So I'm not sure why you think I'm on some 'high horse' when I simply expect a game as popular and publicized as GW2 is to have some level of expectations when it comes to a AAA game being launched. 

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

Fantastic game but not perfect..

Anets Diminishing return system gaurantees a lot of frustration and non fun gaming experiences amongst those whom playstyles are affected by it..

Meanwhile the bots still run wild and free..

Playing GW2..

• SarethorSarethor Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Originally posted by Tawn47

Any other game that would have these kind of issues, especially WoW, would get a stupid amount of criticism, yet when GW2 does it then it's ok because they'll get around to fixing it.

And yet here you are criticising it..   GW2 is getting plenty of criticism, like any other game.  I'm not sure where you are getting the idea that GW2 is getting special treatment when the forum is full of (IMO mostly unreasonable) complaints.

I'd go as far as to say that GW2 gets unfairly treated in the opposite direction (but im not going to make a big thing of it - people are entitled to their opinions), so get off your high horse and stop being so biased.

I noticed you only used part of my quote in your reply, whereas the remainder of my comment had to do with criticism coming from people who are paid to post on this site, not from a random person. In that case, I expect the person criticizing to leave their bias at the door, because that's essentially what they're paid for. 

Not sure why you think I'm biased either, as my criticisms of the game are completely warranted. Meanwhile, posters like the OP completely write off those criticisms as 'they'll get around to it' or acting as though they're only minor issues, when they're things that shouldn't be in a finished product. The proof of bias for this game is in this article itself. Known issues and features of the game that should have been fixed prior to release are being looked over as though they're only minor issues, when any other highly publicized game would get criticized for it, especially something like WoW. 

So I'm not sure why you think I'm on some 'high horse' when I simply expect a game as popular and publicized as GW2 is to have some level of expectations when it comes to a AAA game being launched. 

This means that your personal expectations aren't aligned with reality.    Every game of this scale/scope has had a 1-n list of issues at launch and it's nigh impossible that will ever change.   Eventually, the company has to release it and continue working to resolve issues.

This article was only biased relative to you (and those of your ilk) because the OP has experience and understands the demands of the industry as opposed to a pie-in-the-sky, unrealistic perspective on launch standards based on immaturity and inexperience.

This doesn't even mention the relative smoothness that went down with the launch compared to UO/EQ/AC/DAoC/WoW....and I'll stop there.

The internet is an amazing platform for some people to showcase their deficiencies as a person.

Regards,
    Sarethor