Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: How much $ have you spent on gems?

NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
Seeing posts on the official GW2 forums, I see a lot of posts of people saying they bought gems, some of them have bought over $150 in gems. It got me curious how much real money folks have spent on gems to date?

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    None yet, but I intend to once I can play the game again lol (only extra bag space and character slots though, I'll earn the rest through grinding).
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    None yet, but I intend to once I can play the game again lol (only extra bag space and character slots though, I'll earn the rest through grinding).

You can't play anymore? o_O

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

My gaming pc died... I am soooo bored on this old dinosaur I'm using right now.  Hopefully I can buy the parts I need within the month, because I do NOT want to miss the GW2 Halloween events.

Oh dear, they haven't started yet have they?

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

My gaming pc died... I am soooo bored on this old dinosaur I'm using right now.  Hopefully I can buy the parts I need within the month, because I do NOT want to miss the GW2 Halloween events.

Oh dear, they haven't started yet have they?

Oops, that sucks. Sorry, hope you get a good PC back soon :)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Many dye packs, some bag slots, transmutation stones (love these things) and upgraded from basic box set.
  • warchantwarchant Member Posts: 69

60 bucks.

That's 4 months of sub in ohter mmo's, most of which are dramatically less desirable to play than gw2 imo.

Expanded bank, bag slot then exchanged left overs for gold (what a rip off tbh!) and bought bags. it was worth it all in all to have unencumbered gathering and storage on demand.

My intention is to stop with the store right there. If I am still into the game in a year or so I may expand some more and gets bags for newer toons (if I needed) in the same fashion, we'll see how it goes.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    0€. I got 600 gems with gold though.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

40$

Bags/bank space, some gems to gold conversion, dye packs, couple of Mystic Keys...

Might pick up some more pretty soon here and expand my inventory on my main now that I've finally settled on one (and probably some more dye packs)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    £8.50

Bank space

Spent what was left over on a key.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

So with a normal subscription MMO you'd have brought in $3120 from these people. If you assume best case scenario and they've all just subbed up for month 2 at $15 it would be $3900.

With GW2 model and this poll and assuming dead center in each choice as the average spent and assuming $300 for the 251+ you end up with: ~$4340 or 1.4x as much money spent over if 100% of the people subbing for a second month in a sub based game.

Yes B2P as the future sounds great for gamers...

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
    around 20 extra inventory space and char slot..

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

So with a normal subscription MMO you'd have brought in $3120 from these people. If you assume best case scenario and they've all just subbed up for month 2 at $15 it would be $3900.

With GW2 model and this poll and assuming dead center in each choice as the average spent and assuming $300 for the 251+ you end up with: ~$4340 or 1.4x as much money spent over if 100% of the people subbing for a second month in a sub based game.

Seems almost everyone who purchased, bought bag/bank space. Those are really a one-off and I can't see the same spend occuring month after month.

You make some poorly based assumptions.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    While I didn't spend any $$ on gems, I do like the idea of trading my gold to people who do spend money.  I've traded gold to buy plenty of gems to work with for quite awhile.  The gem conversion isn't quite so hot right now, but when the game came out it was at about 1600 gems for 4 gold (for a couple weeks post launch).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Stuff like this is why I laugh when people claim this game is B2P.  GW1 was, but not this one.

You make me like charity

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Stuff like this is why I laugh when people claim this game is B2P.  GW1 was, but not this one.

May I ask what's your reasoning behind this? I mean, I'm no GW2 fanboy, I must admit that I am actually a bit bored with it. I just find it too... plain?

I pre-purchased GW2 the first day it was available, I loved GW1. I've got to level 60 in GW2 and have transformed 1 Gold to Gems and bought Black Lion Keys. That's it. The cosmetics at this point are such a disappointment that I wouldn't pay for them, unlike in GW1... Now, if they turned that "retro" ranger outfit cosmetic to wearable by all classes, I would intantly throw ten (10) €uros to the game and grab one for my mesmer lass.

EDIT: I see no reason to buy additional bank space, repair golems or any of that waste. You can sell all loot to Hearts persons, and send all collectables to bank.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by jacklo

Seems almost everyone who purchased, bought bag/bank space. Those are really a one-off and I can't see the same spend occuring month after month.

None of the assumptions are the least bit poorly based. To assume that a company which makes money off a store won't continue to come up with things for people to spend money on would be the poor assumption.

Given how many people I saw running around in game with the ridiculous sunglasses and boxing gloves, I would also say people aren't just spending money on bag/bank space.

You'll also notice in my assumption I helped the B2P model by assuming a 100% continue to play rate which raises how much the subscription type of game costs. In reality you at best end up with a 50% rate on the first month if not lower which further increases the cost difference between the two models.

But be that guy who just says anything anyone says is just wrong if it is at all critical of the game they love.

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

how that? in gw1 you have also to buy extra storage space , costumes etc etc..

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

Laugh all you want, it actually doesn't come down to personal opinion.  The game is B2P, that's a fact.  You could buy the same exact sorts of things in GW1, and as far as I know, you couldn't earn most of them through in-game play like you can in GW2.  At least make a good point if you're going to sneer at a game.

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78
    Not one red cent. The game only held my interest for about 3 weeks =/

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Just been converting in game gold. I've expanded my bank x3 and bought some minis and some other stuff haha.
  • shadow9d9shadow9d9 Member UncommonPosts: 374

0.  Upgraded the bank twice via gold in game... and still have plenty left.  Game is kind of boring now though...

I will never pay a dime through microtransactions ever.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    $0, and I don't see that changing any time soon. Why would I waste real money when I can just use gold?
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    None yet, but i intend to. I like having the option of supporting the devs of great games like this one. I am just in a position right now where i can't afford to do much of anything but when it's all said and done i will. I notably need bigger bank spaces hehe.  Little things i collect. I have too much cooking prep ingredients for example.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I like the game, I don't see anything wrong with spending £8.50 every month or two, its less than what other mmos force you to pay.
  • jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570
    Originally posted by jacklo

None of the assumptions are the least bit poorly based. To assume that a company which makes money off a store won't continue to come up with things for people to spend money on would be the poor assumption.

Given how many people I saw running around in game with the ridiculous sunglasses and boxing gloves, I would also say people aren't just spending money on bag/bank space.

You'll also notice in my assumption I helped the B2P model by assuming a 100% continue to play rate which raises how much the subscription type of game costs. In reality you at best end up with a 50% rate on the first month if not lower which further increases the cost difference between the two models.

But be that guy who just says anything anyone says is just wrong if it is at all critical of the game they love.

I don't mind being critical, there's plenty I don't like about GW2.

To jump in and make assumptions based on a poll with only 50 or so votes, seems a bit premature.

My argument still stands and it doesn't matter whether it's GW2 or not, you're talking about the whole B2P model.

The vast majority have spent nothing, some chose to make things easier by buying something they may see as essential, in this case bank and bag space.

If a gamer has disposable income he wants to dispose of to increase his enjoyment, how is that bad for gamers?

It doesn't lessen my enjoyment of the game.

So be that guy who in the absence of a reasonable argument, stoops to the safety zone of calling me a fanboy.