Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Origins Of Malu: You Control the World

Comments

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193
    I already see myself surrounding someone's town with mountains and then bringing rivers down each to create a lake in the middle, drowning everyone and everything.  And I laugh.  Hurray.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
         Looks like an interesting game, but I have no interest in paying a monthly sub ever again....There are just way too many free options out there.
  • larrypsylarrypsy Member UncommonPosts: 34

Looking forward to this adventure.

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Kickstarter! 
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Adding this to my list of games to keep an eye on. Sounds and looks good, so far. Graphics quality is really not very important to me.
  • SkelarSkelar Member Posts: 14

Ah sweet, I saw these guys at PAX and even got to speak with some of their developers. Awesome to hear even more about this faction system of theirs as well as crafting, but I'm surprised they didn't talk about combat at all. Seemed like that was what they were showing off most at PAX. They had a couple of interesting things, chargable spells and dodging. The spells were something like spells with cast timers from other games, except you could cast the spell before the timer had completed. So more time meant more power. Was confusing at first considering we didn't have much time to learn the controls. I had to play the demo twice before I understood it. Then the dodging seemed pretty cool as well. Spells would home in on your like other games, but if you dodged out of the way it would fly right past you. I also saw spells crashing into trees when I ran behind them.

Well, that's enough rambling from me for now I guess. I'm pretty excited about this one so hopefully we'll keep hearing more. This is the first major article I've actually seen for it. Wonder how long it'll take before we hear about beta.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Sweet! I was just writing yesterday about how this gem was getting little to no attention!

Smile

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I play Wurm Online because of its feature set. Oom sounds like Wurm Light to me, which is just the kind of game I'm looking for. Wurm has taught me that there are other ways to create immersion without having to use realistic,or even good, graphics.  

Wurm doesn't have child-like graphics.

Again, we're not looking for amazing or realistic here. We just want something NOT for children. It has gotten old, and even when WoW first released people hated the "Time Machine" that was WoW's graphics.

For me the style graphics look more of ryzom than wow, and cartoon style is not only for children. This is an art style from everyone, you like it or dont, but dont talk for everyone just because you dont.

So what I'm getting from some of these comments is that graphics that are not completely realistic are cartoony, cartoony graphics are child-like, and cartoony graphics are WoW-like... Sounds like a bunch of over simplification to me. So I'm going to do what no one has so far, I'm going to defend the graphics for the sake of the graphics instead of touting that gameplay is more important.

First off, the graphics look considerably better that WoW. Just compare the WoW screenshot in the comments to the screenshots in the article. The blood elf character is a far simpler model than the little guy with the green glowy thing in the the bottom screenshot. The terrain in the WoW shot is a bland solid texture, just compare it to the terrain of the screenshots in the article. And finally the water in the WoW shot lacks the kind of luminescence that the article screenshot has. Origins of Malu looks significantly better than WoW.

As for child-like, well I'm going to dismiss that outright. The art style has a bit of a surreal look to it in my opinion, which in my mind, does not mean child-like. (Even considering it surreal I still think I looks more real than WoW...) So yeah, it's not a graphics card killer, but why does every game have to be in order to say the graphics are good? These graphics are good, I like them, and I think they fit well.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Just another self deluded developer in love with their own product. DF, MO, Earthrise..?

Once the guy stop making a game for his own enjoyement, only then he should speak about a budget he needs or not.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

reminds me of, well, a lot of games i love.

i'm a hype victim one too many times for me to go off the deep end about this but it's on my radar for sure.

i also agree with the many above who see a lot of wurm in this (which is a good thing)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Just another self deluded developer in love with their own product. DF, MO, Earthrise..?

Once the guy stop making a game for his own enjoyement, only then he should speak about a budget he needs or not.

Hope you realize that the entire team working on this game is on a volunteer basis.

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         Looks like an interesting game, but I have no interest in paying a monthly sub ever again....There are just way too many free options out there.

They have not actually decided on this matter, I think MMORPG label is only a guess of theirs.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Theocritus

No one force you to pay a sub fee, like you said there is many free game out there. I prefer paying a sub fee, 15$ a month is nothing for a real mmorpg that i can like.

If the game is cool i will gladly pay them 15$ month in fact i will probably pay more for great mmorpg but not for the kind of shallow mmo ( i dont even dare put rpg after mmo) we have these day.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Shubawkss

Hope you realize that the entire team working on this game is on a volunteer basis.

That is what I said.

• WigBurldWigBurld Member Posts: 14
    For more info on Origins of Malu, check out this article!
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Sounds pretty interesting.  Definitely peeked my interest.  WOW graphics don't bother me, but as some others have mentioned, I also felt that SWG struck a nice balance in terms of graphical style.

But even if it had WOW graphics, imagine WOW with these game mechanics...to me it sounds good.  But I will believe it when I see it.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I play Wurm Online because of its feature set. Oom sounds like Wurm Light to me, which is just the kind of game I'm looking for. Wurm has taught me that there are other ways to create immersion without having to use realistic,or even good, graphics.  

Wurm doesn't have child-like graphics.

Again, we're not looking for amazing or realistic here. We just want something NOT for children. It has gotten old, and even when WoW first released people hated the "Time Machine" that was WoW's graphics.

What I'm saying is, I don't care what style the graphics are, as long as the game has the sandbox feature set I'm looking for and I still feel immersed.

Joined - July 2004

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Dunno, it sounds good, but graphically it looks like a ripoff of WoW. Again, graphics don't make a game good, but it also doesn't help it when they look like a child drew the game you're making with crayons.

Not looking for super realism either, but i always felt SWG was a good mix between how a game should look & realistic expectation.

I'll keep my eye on this one, but i won't expect much until I can touch it.

From what I read it sounds very good, then I looked at the screen shots, or I hope concept are and my heart sunk.  I don't care how good a game is if it looks like something from wow and is too cartoon looking well then it will not matter.  I would like to see moore screen shots because what I saw was enough to make me go uggg.

What is it about people that when they see something colorful, it's immediately "WoW graphics"? Are people's perceptions seriously that narrow and limited?

Has your only exposure to colorful, lively color palettes been WoW, and so that's the only thing you have to compare anything and everything to?

What is so "bad" about things being colorful?

Would you never travel to a place like in this picture because "zomg it has real life WoW graphics"?

GW2 has colorful, vibrant colors as well. Does that make it "WoW-like" and not worthy of being taken seriously? Apparently not with the love-fest around that game.

Frankly, I don't see WoW in these screenshots at all. Then again, I don't immediately think "WoW Graphics!", shut my mind and have an aneurism he moment I see anything that isn't entirely colored in muted shades of brown and green.

Frankly, the art style and color palettes remind me far more of Saga of Ryzom than WoW anyway.

In any case.. the game looks very cool, they have some very intriguing concepts and I'm very interested in checking it out!

Another duplicated post.

I'm editing. Not replying. Wow.

This comment software is seriously broken. Why is "editing my post" creating a duplicate?
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    play wakfu is you want to control some of the world (aquired taste of gameplay). 
    Originally posted by Rhoklaw
    The only thing that worries me about this game is the combat. When he said FPS is being incorporated, I completely lost interest cause to me, that instantly means cheaters ala Darkfall Online. Doesn't matter if only one person cheats, the fact the possibility is there for people to cheat is enough to turn me away. It doesn't even have to be FPS anymore as people are now finding ways to cheat in just about any MMO, such as GW2 with the teleporting hack. People never cease to amaze me with their need to completely !@#% games up cause they can't play games as they were intended to be played.

Uh... I don't see what that has to do with FPS, lol. I think there have been people trying to cheat and hack MMOs since they were first invented.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Hats off to the guys.  A 'real' MMO won't be made by the big players as it just doesn't fit their model.  The first time an indie company makes a game that grabs a ton of subs/cash with a big sandbox type game, then big players may change course.

Yea...the graphics are kinda cartoony for me (still look professional) but I wouldn't care if the game had all these features. 

Question: Why is it that I see a massive percentage of MMO fans wanting this type of game but no company wants to touch it? Only other gamers who have the technical skills attempt to make it.  Really does my head in.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    I want to make a rivel flow into somebodies house so when they come back online they will be like, wtf.