Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

one thing i think "they lied"

jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

is the actual content that wasnt released but appears in map.

means, when i open the world map, the world is huge. but, the actual relased/playable map is only about like what? 60-70% of entire world map? of course u only find out that u cant really go to those "locked"/"unleased" area cos it's only comes in future expansion. they are just there now on map, to confuses u! :/ i am very unhappy about it.. 

design and relase the game, dont play those kind of tricks :/ when wow opens, there's 2 huge lands, only zone that closed at like what? silithus and the world of tree map, every expansion they add new lands, and open up old maps in the old land. i would be pissed off if vanilla wow released with outland, notrthland,pandaland shown but locked.

pls release the game content that we can see and can play, dont play silly trick like this and make us think " wow, there's so much more to come". i rather wait for suprise and see anet release something like "we add on another 30% of maps for you to play" in their website.  

Comments

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I simply don't get why you can think that they lied about this? Because they didn't. You just don't like it

Its fair game that you don't like it, but it was not hidden and it didn't came as a surprise that a world based on GW1 did include a new interpretation.

And they announced early that the game would grow over time adding new zones, in the already known world.

So OP pls don't make a headline that is NOT true. Instead try something like " i feel cheated when.....".

i would though advice you to look forward to things to come instead, because most of the areas you see that we can't get to yet was in GW1 and as such players are looking forward to get back to those places also, and for sure ArenaNet looks forward to bring us there. 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by jackwu10

means, when i open the world map, the world is huge. but, the actual relased/playable map is only about like what? 60-70% of entire world map? of course u only find out that u cant really go to those "locked"/"unleased" area cos it's only comes in future expansion. they are just there now on map, to confuses u! :/ i am very unhappy about it.. 

design and relase the game, dont play those kind of tricks :/ when wow opens, there's 2 huge lands, only zone that closed at like what? silithus and the world of tree map, every expansion they add new lands, and open up old maps in the old land. i would be pissed off if vanilla wow released with outland, notrthland,pandaland shown but locked.

pls release the game content that we can see and can play, dont play silly trick like this and make us think " wow, there's so much more to come". i rather wait for suprise and see anet release something like "we add on another 30% of maps for you to play" in their website.  

And yet the total playable area is prolly twice the size of WoW and 10 times the size of Rift.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Personally I don't mind the presence of unexplorable areas at all. It just shows that they have a grasp of the total world land mass and you get an idea on how far they can go in terms of expansions.

On the other hand, for the real explorer out there (and not the ones that go to the tourist attractions aka POIs), the game has way too many invisible walls for my liking.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

And yet the total playable area is prolly twice the size of WoW and 10 times the size of Rift.

Are you seriously comparing mmorpgs that feature mounts with one that doesn't? Don't you think there is a very specific reason GW2 has no mounts, compared to the other two you mentioned? (ie, faster running/mount speed make the world _feel_ smaller than it actualy is).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Most games leave some are for patching in a few new zones later, nothing really strange there.

Only time it really annoyed me was in AoC where there was very few playable countries on the map and even the ones playable only had really small parts of it. I just dont see why they bothered using such a large map and only have so little of it playable.

I dont see how ANET lied about anything here, I never seen them saying that 100% of the continent should be playable from launch. In fact Jeff Grubb said they left some areas for later 2 years ago.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

[md edit]

The areas you can't visit on the map are potential future content areas.  They did the same with the original Guild Wars.  I don't remember well, but I'm pretty sure they never uncovered the entire map in the original game.  It isn't "unfinished" or "promised land" that was removed.  They have the option to create more land in an expansion pack, or simply use the rest of the map that hasn't been uncovered.  

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

So you want what... black holes ? Border ? Or what ? Every playable area is marked by level range. It's easy to notice this things. Also world overall is quite big and you have always more than one area for your lvl range.

So... image

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

They didn't lie, you're just ignorant to the size of Tyria apparently. Most of us knew that the game world is much, *much* bigger than what would be accessible upon release.

Leading up to release, there were even entire threads of people who had scoured the DAT file to present us with, not just roughly mapped in areas surrounding the initial release content, but also maps of locations on the opposite side of the world. 

Anyone that assumed the entire map was accessible, despite the countless world zone maps that displayed exctly what would be available at launch, was simply uninformed or drew seriously flawed conclusions.

By your words it sounds as if they're not entitled to provide any indication of existing lands unless you can actually access them  from the start, and that's just silly. 

Not to rain on your parade, but in this case you might want to get even more angry because there are rough maps of the whole world available, and you can't play in those zones either.

People seriously need to stop blaming others for their own shortcomings.  You failed to do research or comprehend the context of mapped areas, and instead of taking that on your shoulders you assume they 'LIED' to you. That's nothing but pathetic.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Let's hope the OP never looks at a map of our solar system :P
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Luckily the "they lied" is in quotes. They didn't lie, you feel like they lied, big difference. There is room for expansion, what's wrong with that?

imageimage
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I think every time you hit a boundary in gw2 you should get chased and absorbed by a big bubble which knocks you out and returns you to lions arch.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    there is a dead end road in Lions Arch that has some guys guarding a big gate. I bet that gate will be open before too long

I miss DAoC

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I think every time you hit a boundary in gw2 you should get chased and absorbed by a big bubble which knocks you out and returns you to lions arch.
    ROTFLMAO

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• BetakodoBetakodo Member UncommonPosts: 333
    For lies see the Manifesto video. Events are nothing like they describe, it's just a bunch of puppets dancing and repeating themselves every 10 minutes.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    open world, so you want an massively detailed world... without very small loading screens every single huge area... but you do want normal people with a normal pc to be able to play it? and you dont want to have an ms of 20k and an fps of 1?

i suggest you build an timemachine and fly into the future :D

For lies see the Manifesto video. Events are nothing like they describe, it's just a bunch of puppets dancing and repeating themselves every 10 minutes.

your doing it wrong -_-
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

is the actual content that wasnt released but appears in map. means, when i open the world map, the world is huge. but, the actual relased/playable map is only about like what? 60-70% of entire world map? of course u only find out that u cant really go to those "locked"/"unleased" area cos it's only comes in future expansion. they are just there now on map, to confuses u! :/ i am very unhappy about it..  design and relase the game, dont play those kind of tricks :/ when wow opens, there's 2 huge lands, only zone that closed at like what? silithus and the world of tree map, every expansion they add new lands, and open up old maps in the old land. i would be pissed off if vanilla wow released with outland, notrthland,pandaland shown but locked. pls release the game content that we can see and can play, dont play silly trick like this and make us think " wow, there's so much more to come". i rather wait for suprise and see anet release something like "we add on another 30% of maps for you to play" in their website.  

It isn't. If I had to guess, the total explorable landmass is prolly the size of 1-1.5 times a Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms. Each GW2 zone is the size of an average WoW zone. Good usage of available space though.

@OP: yeah, I found that disappointing too when I first found that out, that so much of the worldmap was unexplorable, much more than I'd expected. But it is as it is, I guess. We'll hopefully see that filled in follow up expansions.
    Originally posted by timeraider

open world, so you want an massively detailed world... without very small loading screens every single huge area... but you do want normal people with a normal pc to be able to play it? and you dont want to have an ms of 20k and an fps of 1?   i suggest you build an timemachine and fly into the future :D   For lies see the Manifesto video. Events are nothing like they describe, it's just a bunch of puppets dancing and repeating themselves every 10 minutes.   your doing it wrong -_-

This isn't entirely true. I mean, WoW is massively detailed too as a world, with a high content density, yet it managed to use a different world design architecture that allows seamless traveling between zones. From what I've seen, ArcheAge that has a huge and highly detailed world allows the same seamless traveling. It's just different design choices that each company made.
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886

Umm....the only thing they lied about were minigames (and Im not cool with that anet :// )

Not world content

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Originally posted by Pigozz

Umm....the only thing they lied about were minigames (and Im not cool with that anet :// )Not world content

Minigames! I was already wondering where they were. From what I could recall, there was talk of like 50 minigames, all kinds of, that'd be available for players to play. I know they were good for it, enough minigames in GW in all kinds of events. Yet I hadn't seen many of them while playing, nor heard anything about them anymore for the past couple of months.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
      OP, I hope you realize that every MMORPG out there has unused space that the developers are not currently using. That space will be used for future updates, events etc. Every game company does this, A big example if you need one is WoW. If you open their map there are places that you would figure you can go to if you kept swimming / flying etc. However you quickly get a "turn around or you will fall, or you start getting fatigued when you leave the "game world". I assume that future expansions will open up that unused space, better get your wallet ready.
    I think a key measurement is amount explored at max level, and how much of that explorable content is still playable.

In wow at max level perhaps 15% of meaningful content has been visited ( you don't really explore) by the time you hit max level.

In rift I would estimate about 10%. Although thur next expansion appears to be massive so that could well change.

In GW2 it seems to be around the 40-50% mark.

All 3 ignore repeatable zones. So you have to say gw2 world size feels big enough so it is right that Anet focused their resources in other areas.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Sry re wow and rift it's % left not visited.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127

damn, u guys need to calm down, chill mate~

maybe u guys took it the wrong way. or maybe i didnt explained well.

what i am saying it, if u look at http://www.guildhead.com/map.

ok cool, u see what? half detailed map, half unknown map. the first few day when i saw this, i told myself, maybe it's just that not enough ppl upload datas, so there's no info yet. but then i realised that, those areas are not accessible atm, of course i was kinda upset, and thinking, ok? so this is unfinished game or what? how long do i have to wait?

and all i was saying is that, maybe anet should plan the release, like release a circle of area, everything in that circle is accessible, then expan the dircle , and expand again.  rather then, release entire huge world map with empty blocks in bwteen, and start filling in gaps at later stage.

so chill. 

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Other than the annoyance of wasting time trying to find a way into the zone when there isn't one, I don't get the issue.

If GW2's map was a diminuitive little thing like DDO was at launch, I'd be upset.  But the traversable map is MONSTROUS, and the idea that all those chunks here and there might open up in the future is just pure geekgasm.