Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Origins Of Malu: You Control the World

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Origins of Malu is one of those games that has been moving along in development very quietly, slipping under the radar of many fans. After reading our exclusive preview of Origins of Malu, that will likely change in a big way. Read on and be impressed!

You may not have heard of Origins of Malu before, but something tells me that after this preview, you’ll be keeping an eye on it. Do you miss Star Wars Galaxies? Do you miss science-fiction MMORPGs that let you be a crafter and make your entire game focus around that? Do you miss making your own houses, towns, and shops? Do you wish more games allowed players to make their own factions and vie for control of territory as opposed to just grinding rep with some NPCs? Do you wish more games would allow players to truly change the world based on their actions? Well, then you’ll want to pay attention to Burning Dog and their independent project, Origins of Malu. Because if they pull off half of what they’re attempting, there will be a lot of happy gamers out there.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Origins of Malu: You Control the World.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Take my money!
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I can't wait to try this one out!!! It sounds amazing..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Pretty cool. Looking forward to it.
  • drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Been following this one for awhile. Great concepts. Need to see them in action. Not enough in game footage released to get excited over.
  • SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54

Dunno, it sounds good, but graphically it looks like a ripoff of WoW. Again, graphics don't make a game good, but it also doesn't help it when they look like a child drew the game you're making with crayons.

Not looking for super realism either, but i always felt SWG was a good mix between how a game should look & realistic expectation.

I'll keep my eye on this one, but i won't expect much until I can touch it.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by SneakyRussian

Dunno, it sounds good, but graphically it looks like a ripoff of WoW. Again, graphics don't make a game good, but it also doesn't help it when they look like a child drew the game you're making with crayons.

Not looking for super realism either, but i always felt SWG was a good mix between how a game should look & realistic expectation.

I'll keep my eye on this one, but i won't expect much until I can touch it.

From what I read it sounds very good, then I looked at the screen shots, or I hope concept are and my heart sunk.  I don't care how good a game is if it looks like something from wow and is too cartoon looking well then it will not matter.  I would like to see moore screen shots because what I saw was enough to make me go uggg.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Sounds interesting. I'll have to add this to my radar.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ArteanArtean Member UncommonPosts: 215
    Got to agree with some above - while the concept indeed sounds interesting, the graphics look plain horrid.

When in doubt, troll.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I play Wurm Online because of its feature set. Oom sounds like Wurm Light to me, which is just the kind of game I'm looking for. Wurm has taught me that there are other ways to create immersion without having to use realistic,or even good, graphics.  

Joined - July 2004

• ZtyXZtyX Member UncommonPosts: 368
    I'm ready for Origins of Malu! :)
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

It's funny. A lot of sandbox lovers seem to think, Minecraft has acceptable graphics but as soon as somebody mentions WoWs graphics people cringe.

Weird people

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    I'll support it.. This and Darkfall have my support..
    Originally posted by remyburke
    I play Wurm Online because of its feature set. Oom sounds like Wurm Light to me, which is just the kind of game I'm looking for. Wurm has taught me that there are other ways to create immersion without having to use realistic,or even good, graphics.  

Wurm doesn't have child-like graphics.

Again, we're not looking for amazing or realistic here. We just want something NOT for children. It has gotten old, and even when WoW first released people hated the "Time Machine" that was WoW's graphics.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    Hope this comes together sooner rather then later (I desperately need a new FUN game to play!)!
    Originally posted by Starpower

It's funny. A lot of sandbox lovers seem to think, Minecraft has acceptable graphics but as soon as somebody mentions WoWs graphics people cringe.

Weird people

http://www.minecrafthelp.kk5.org/communities/0/004/008/716/710/images/4541526699.png

Minecraft ^

WoW v

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080630/world-of-warcraft_l.jpg

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Why there is no forum section on such a promising title? We need more sandbox.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 828

This sounds pretty decent but looks too cartoony/WoW-ish for my tastes. I still think The Repopulation is going to be a far superior sandbox. The Repopulation devs have even mentioned on the official fourms that a JTL-ish space expansion is the first planned expansioin for the game. And The Repopulation doesn't look cartoony. 

/endgameplugthreadhijack

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552
     I don't care about graphics in the least. The faction system sounds incredible and exactly what I have been wanting from PvP for ages. If the gameplay is up to par with this then I will be set for life. Sounds great and looking forward to more info from this in the future. Thanks Bill!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by remyburke

Wurm doesn't have child-like graphics.

Again, we're not looking for amazing or realistic here. We just want something NOT for children. It has gotten old, and even when WoW first released people hated the "Time Machine" that was WoW's graphics.

Not everyone shares your opinion.  Graphics have just a small part of what a game is.  You don't have to have great graphics for any game if the gameplay is fun and immersive.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Weird people

http://www.minecrafthelp.kk5.org/communities/0/004/008/716/710/images/4541526699.png

Minecraft ^

WoW v

http://img2-2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080630/world-of-warcraft_l.jpg

Thanks for proving my point

• montinmontin Member Posts: 218
    If it happens then I'm going to give it a look. Fingers crossed it makes it to release and doesn't die from lack of funding prior to that point.
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Dblstandard
    I love the ideas but the problem is budget.  There have been so so many games promising something simimlar the last 10 years and they have all failed from budget.  From Wish, DnL and so on if they do not have the money no one will play.  Sad as it is without a AAA budget of $25+ million no one is going to play your game which means no support, no timely updates, and no long term players.

It's only sad because people perpetuate the notion that it's sad.

Just because nobody has done it right doesn't mean that nobody ever will.  Money doesn't make a great game (as seen from SWTOR and recent games spending over 100m).  Good ideas and good execution make a good game.

Writing off an entire game before you can even play it or see it just because they didn't spend millions of dollars is a bit short sighted.  I would almost wager more good cheap games have ever been made than expensive ones.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Weird people

Really most people don't, but minecraft makes up for it.  First thing I did is download mods and a high resolution texture pack.  Even then it's hard to get immersed, just easy to have fun.

Consider that many people see minecraft as a testbed, not something they'd accept as the real deal in mmo form.  And many people into minecraft (it surprises me that according to my teacher gf it's very popular amongst middle schoolers) are not mmo gamers in general.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

When an article starts off comparing some random prospect to SWG, I'm immediately wary for BS.  There have been a number of claims to being  "the next SWG" and none come even close.  No reason to think any different here.

Call me hopeful but doubtful.