Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I would play this game if....

Comments

• RozallaRozalla Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Sicc1
    There's plenty of games for people like you. Let us have one.

Exactly

• LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    LOL @ "I love this game" but I wish it wasn't FFA PvP or full loot or sandbox or city building or grindy or skill point based. Jesus, if you don't like what DFUW is going to be just go away. Hello Kitty is -----> that way.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Ork-n-Beanz

See, I played Darkfall for about 2 years, off and on, and as a player who thinks PvP combat is fucking retarded, I did have a good time of it. Provided I had body guards, I could spend hours out in the world PvE'ing and gathering up crafting materials to arm my clan with the best I could provide. I liked that I could plan logistics around stockpiling weapons for a massive invasion of another clan's territory and I liked that it took time and effort to do that type of stuff.

That said, when I didn't have some 10 dudes watching my ass while I stared at a rock for a few minutes and moved to another rock the game was hardly more than an irritation. Half the time, I was just running from one arms deal to the next, and a journey that should have taken just an hour or so would take several, and I'd get killed for the grand total of fuck-all I was carrying, just on the off chance I was carrying something. What they need to do is set up some kind of "This guy's obviously carrying something/nothing of value" appearance modifier, like some kind of backpack inventory modifier (you need a bag to carry even coins, which shows on character skins, and backpacks and bags of varying size to carry much of anything else).

Personally, that one modifier would likely make the game FAR more worth my time to play. If nothing else, most of the time I got killed, hence interrupting what I was doing at the moment (which I cared about FAR more than losing inventory, because of grind), it was because "You never know what someone's carrying so kill them all and see." Fix that, and I'd probably join back up. Or at least make it obvious in terms of "coin purse, small bag, small pack, large pack" for carry weight and an obvious appearance modifier. It'd add a bit of realism (ohes noes!!11!) and mark obvious non-targets or obvious targets. Noone's gonna chase a naked dude with no backpack for the stuff they might swipe cause he might be a hidden crafter. They'd do it just for the kill, and it wouldn't even be an actual fight, so there'd be no point in it half the time anyway.

Second thing that would absolutely draw me to Unholy Wars is a fix to the fuckawful grind. The reason I got killed for "what I might be carrying" was that crafting materials were worth their weight in platinum-plated unicorn virgins born under full moons. Why? Grind. I made more money busting out my gathering skills to max, gathering up materials, and just selling them. Crafters would go ape shit when I'd post a bulk order of just about any crafting material. Crafted gear that wasn't 100 wisdon, maxed durability, and at least r60? Fuck-all. Nada. Nothing. Enchanted gear of just about any level was a slightly different story, just because noone could be arsed save for me and a handfull of others. Shit was irritating and difficult to do, but results were spectactular.

Anyway, they need to do something to make the crafting skills player-skill based, like they did combat, not "I've put together enough chain pants to equip everyone on the server 20 times so now I can work with plate metals." and more of some kind of minigame that got harder and harder as the integrity of the crafted item went up. Skill in the crafting type should modify the game somehow. My thought on the matter anyway. Would eliminate a LOT of the tedium for us crafters and make a skilled crafter more than someone who just had a lot of time/money to blow with a macro system.

Honestly, that's all they'd need to do to make the game attractive to me again, other than that, loved the fuck out of it and still point to Darkfall anytime someone goes "Oh, I'm so good at this hardcore PvP shit e-peen e-peen" on any other game. Cause if it's not Darkfall, it's not Hardcore PvP.

Thats is a great idea and could easily be encoded. The size of the back could be based on the weight you were carrying, more weight = larger bag. I never thought about it because I personally didn't see this as an issue, but . You really should post this on the offical forums or send in a support ticket to AV. Its something worth looking at

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Randayn

there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature.

The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting....

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

Darkfall is not for you... Simple as that.

• Ork-n-BeanzOrk-n-Beanz Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by Ork-n-Beanz

See, I played Darkfall for about 2 years, off and on, and as a player who thinks PvP combat is fucking retarded, I did have a good time of it. Provided I had body guards, I could spend hours out in the world PvE'ing and gathering up crafting materials to arm my clan with the best I could provide. I liked that I could plan logistics around stockpiling weapons for a massive invasion of another clan's territory and I liked that it took time and effort to do that type of stuff.

That said, when I didn't have some 10 dudes watching my ass while I stared at a rock for a few minutes and moved to another rock the game was hardly more than an irritation. Half the time, I was just running from one arms deal to the next, and a journey that should have taken just an hour or so would take several, and I'd get killed for the grand total of fuck-all I was carrying, just on the off chance I was carrying something. What they need to do is set up some kind of "This guy's obviously carrying something/nothing of value" appearance modifier, like some kind of backpack inventory modifier (you need a bag to carry even coins, which shows on character skins, and backpacks and bags of varying size to carry much of anything else).

Personally, that one modifier would likely make the game FAR more worth my time to play. If nothing else, most of the time I got killed, hence interrupting what I was doing at the moment (which I cared about FAR more than losing inventory, because of grind), it was because "You never know what someone's carrying so kill them all and see." Fix that, and I'd probably join back up. Or at least make it obvious in terms of "coin purse, small bag, small pack, large pack" for carry weight and an obvious appearance modifier. It'd add a bit of realism (ohes noes!!11!) and mark obvious non-targets or obvious targets. Noone's gonna chase a naked dude with no backpack for the stuff they might swipe cause he might be a hidden crafter. They'd do it just for the kill, and it wouldn't even be an actual fight, so there'd be no point in it half the time anyway.

Second thing that would absolutely draw me to Unholy Wars is a fix to the fuckawful grind. The reason I got killed for "what I might be carrying" was that crafting materials were worth their weight in platinum-plated unicorn virgins born under full moons. Why? Grind. I made more money busting out my gathering skills to max, gathering up materials, and just selling them. Crafters would go ape shit when I'd post a bulk order of just about any crafting material. Crafted gear that wasn't 100 wisdon, maxed durability, and at least r60? Fuck-all. Nada. Nothing. Enchanted gear of just about any level was a slightly different story, just because noone could be arsed save for me and a handfull of others. Shit was irritating and difficult to do, but results were spectactular.

Anyway, they need to do something to make the crafting skills player-skill based, like they did combat, not "I've put together enough chain pants to equip everyone on the server 20 times so now I can work with plate metals." and more of some kind of minigame that got harder and harder as the integrity of the crafted item went up. Skill in the crafting type should modify the game somehow. My thought on the matter anyway. Would eliminate a LOT of the tedium for us crafters and make a skilled crafter more than someone who just had a lot of time/money to blow with a macro system.

Honestly, that's all they'd need to do to make the game attractive to me again, other than that, loved the fuck out of it and still point to Darkfall anytime someone goes "Oh, I'm so good at this hardcore PvP shit e-peen e-peen" on any other game. Cause if it's not Darkfall, it's not Hardcore PvP.

Thats is a great idea and could easily be encoded. The size of the back could be based on the weight you were carrying, more weight = larger bag. I never thought about it because I personally didn't see this as an issue, but . You really should post this on the offical forums or send in a support ticket to AV. Its something worth looking at

I was thinking more to the effect of having to equip one of the bag types, and then being able to carry more than just your equipment, but that would also work as well. Other than appearance and carry weight maximum, they wouldn't alter run speed, damage resistance, or any other stat. Fairly simple, just another inventory slot and an appearance mod.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature.

Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

And then someone else comes in and says "I'd play if there were bigger/better safe zones".... then someone says "I'd play but I want less of a punishment after death".... Then we have another clone just like all the other games out there that people only play for a month or two before moving on. Bring your viral carebear infection to another game and leave this one alone! lol Can't we have ONE, just ONE different game?

• BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

This is a game aimmed at the hardcore PVP crowd. This is not really meant for the PVE crowd. If your main thing is PVE you will be disappointed. It is nice to be able to play a PVP game where that is the primary focus and not an after thought from a PVE game making PVP 2ndary.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Beacker

This is a game aimmed at the hardcore PVP crowd. This is not really meant for the PVE crowd. If your main thing is PVE you will be disappointed. It is nice to be able to play a PVP game where that is the primary focus and not an after thought from a PVE game making PVP 2ndary.

Darkfall aimed to be a sandbox, not a PVP arena.  Hardcore PvP'rs embraced it and thus vocalized their concerns relating to that aspect.  It became very one dimensional which I don't believe was AV's intent. 

• KshahdooKshahdoo Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Beacker Originally posted by Randayn there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature. The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting.... Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...
    Darkfall aimed to be a sandbox, not a PVP arena.  Hardcore PvP'rs embraced it and thus vocalized their concerns relating to that aspect.  It became very one dimensional which I don't believe was AV's intent. 

Every sandbox game in a savagery setting must be full loot PvP, or it's not a sandbox.

• TopherpunchTopherpunch Member UncommonPosts: 86

I am not sure why the FFA looting is even an issue. You get so much of the same thing it is kind of silly you would even mind it. I mean my first week I had over 20 sets of bone armor. You shouldn't mind because you farm it faster than you would lose it. Although when UW releases there will be a ton of people and gear will be a bit harder to aquire. Crafting is where the game will be for a couple months. But even than you get gear so fast it really shouldn't be an issue for anyone, even the carebears of the world.

Come check out what I have to say on my blog http://civilgamer.com

Also check out http;//agonasylum.com for Darkfall player trading and stories forums

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

The entire point of Darkfall was to cater to the crowd that enjoys playing a game with FFA loot.

As the first responder stated, it would break the balance if the game did not have it.

Darkfall is a game where you lose everything you have when you die if it isn't safe in your bank.

It is a game where you leave the safety of your city and risk everything you take with you.

It is a game where you must learn to accept this fate, as it is inevitable for everyone.

When you die in Darkfall, you are punished. 

The fear of death and loss is what makes this game fun for the playerbase.

You lose your gear when you die, but when you're whole clan is dead, you lose your town.

Loss is what drives this game. Stop making posts about taking it away, and start looking for a new game.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by Murdus

The entire point of Darkfall was to cater to the crowd that enjoys playing a game with FFA loot.

As the first responder stated, it would break the balance if the game did not have it.

Darkfall is a game where you lose everything you have when you die if it isn't safe in your bank.

It is a game where you leave the safety of your city and risk everything you take with you.

It is a game where you must learn to accept this fate, as it is inevitable for everyone.

You lose your gear when you die, but when you're whole clan is dead, you lose your town.

Loss is what drives this game. Stop making posts about taking it away, and start looking for a new game.

It is a game that ended up being just one zerg attacking another with no actual point or goal. The fear of losing anything had died long ago.

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698
    Originally posted by Tymoris

It is a game that ended up being just one zerg attacking another with no actual point or goal. The fear of losing anything had died long ago.

The point or goal was to kill your rivals and take their stuff and rub it in their face.

I don't see how you could say there's no goal. Everyone has a goal in their mind. Darkfall is a game where you make your own goal. That's all.

Of course on the surface and sometimes when you're in the middle of it all it seems to make sense to reduce it to "we're just zerging other clans."

You joined a game that literally sold thousands of copies on that very intention, to kill other clans, what would you expect?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

You and probably a million other people, but AV doesnt want you to play this game they dont want your money and the full loot pvpers dont want you to have access to the world of DF unless they can kill you in it.  So once again it will be niche game that with its relaunch will start big and quickly die down to a couple thousand players just like the original DF. 

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by snapfusion

You and probably a million other people, but AV doesnt want you to play this game they dont want your money and the full loot pvpers dont want you to have access to the world of DF unless they can kill you in it.  So once again it will be niche game that with its relaunch will start big and quickly die down to a couple thousand players just like the original DF. 

And the problem is?  We still have OUR game, while you pout and stomp your feet.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Kshahdoo

Originally posted by Badaboom

Originally posted by Beacker

Originally posted by Randayn there was no FFA loot on toons.  I've played this game a few times and really loved it (and im typically a care-bear pve only player) but didnt mind the pvp aspect of the game because most of the people I ran into in the game were fairly mature. The only thing I didnt like or understand about the game was FFA looting.... Can there not be server where FFA looting is turned off?  I'd join in a heartbeat...

Every sandbox game in a savagery setting must be full loot PvP, or it's not a sandbox.

I'm not really a proponent of doing away with FFA , full loot pvp.  Just adding more elements/sand to the box.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I know I asked for this on this post, but after spending about 10 hours in Darkfall, I understand why there is FFA loot and it makes sense.  I retract my statement and CAN'T WAIT for Unholy Wars!

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    I know I asked for this on this post, but after spending about 10 hours in Darkfall, I understand why there is FFA loot and it makes sense.  I retract my statement and CAN'T WAIT for Unholy Wars!

It can be shocking at first when you die and come back to find you grave picked over, but with a little caution, some banking runs and a keeping a couplel sets of monster dropped gear in the bank things can work.

The weird things about a FFA loot system is it actually helps control the typical gear grind since running around in your fancy armor makes you a target.  Gear is viewed like a resource and you pick and chose what to wear and what to risk breaking or losing.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by rutaq

It can be shocking at first when you die and come back to find you grave picked over, but with a little caution, some banking runs and a keeping a couplel sets of monster dropped gear in the bank things can work.

The weird things about a FFA loot system is it actually helps control the typical gear grind since running around in your fancy armor makes you a target.  Gear is viewed like a resource and you pick and chose what to wear and what to risk breaking or losing.

yeah, it really does add a very interesting twist to the game...you have to actually be responsible and organized.  It's alot of fun.  Everytime I get the chance, Im running back to my bank to store more stuff.  Usually carry bare bones gear and crafting tools on me...that's it.  And I have TONS of gear in the bank....it doesn't appear that will ever be a problem

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

The point or goal was to kill your rivals and take their stuff and rub it in their face.

I don't see how you could say there's no goal. Everyone has a goal in their mind. Darkfall is a game where you make your own goal. That's all.

Of course on the surface and sometimes when you're in the middle of it all it seems to make sense to reduce it to "we're just zerging other clans."

You joined a game that literally sold thousands of copies on that very intention, to kill other clans, what would you expect?

Exactly the part in red.

Shortly after I started playing DF I became a member of a clan that was very good aligned and who's main purpose was to provide a safe haven for newer players and to be anti-griefers, along with the other clans in our alliance. We opened our alliance holdings to all who were peaceful within our walls, regardless of clan (or lack of one), in order to allow new players and vets to come together and provide a good learning environment and help building up their characters to a decent point., have a safe place to gather and bank resources, and very close proximity (like less than 1 minute run) to a dungeon that was perfect for farming and skilling up at low to mid levels. We would have duels and team PvP events constantly going being run by some very experienced players to help teach the new guys better tactics and reward them with some useful equipment along the way.

One of the clans in the alliance was purely newbies and had a rule where once you got your character up to a certain point in your skills, you were required to leave the clan and seek another. Some of these guys who were progressing around the same rank would wind up sticking together when moving to other clans, others who had disagreements would intentionally join opossing clans so they could constantly go after eachother.

As long as you remained peaceful inside our walls, everything was cool, but if you attacked anyone unprovoked we usually ended up going to war with that clan, or simply nailing all of their holdings and stealing their resources all day long for days or weeks. We had our share of griefers who knew we were sheltering newbies, and they attacked constantly hoping for kills against those newbies, but it resulted in lots of great fights. At the same time we also ended up picking up a lot of good guys who were previously griefers, just because its the common thing to do, and out of respect for what we were doing and a chance to fight lots of vets instead of ganking newbies, joined up with us to help repel their former clanmates & allies.

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Exactly the part in red.

Shortly after I started playing DF I became a member of a clan that was very good aligned and who's main purpose was to provide a safe haven for newer players and to be anti-griefers, along with the other clans in our alliance. We opened our alliance holdings to all who were peaceful within our walls, regardless of clan (or lack of one), in order to allow new players and vets to come together and provide a good learning environment and help building up their characters to a decent point., have a safe place to gather and bank resources, and very close proximity (like less than 1 minute run) to a dungeon that was perfect for farming and skilling up at low to mid levels. We would have duels and team PvP events constantly going being run by some very experienced players to help teach the new guys better tactics and reward them with some useful equipment along the way.

One of the clans in the alliance was purely newbies and had a rule where once you got your character up to a certain point in your skills, you were required to leave the clan and seek another. Some of these guys who were progressing around the same rank would wind up sticking together when moving to other clans, others who had disagreements would intentionally join opossing clans so they could constantly go after eachother.

As long as you remained peaceful inside our walls, everything was cool, but if you attacked anyone unprovoked we usually ended up going to war with that clan, or simply nailing all of their holdings and stealing their resources all day long for days or weeks. We had our share of griefers who knew we were sheltering newbies, and they attacked constantly hoping for kills against those newbies, but it resulted in lots of great fights. At the same time we also ended up picking up a lot of good guys who were previously griefers, just because its the common thing to do, and out of respect for what we were doing and a chance to fight lots of vets instead of ganking newbies, joined up with us to help repel their former clanmates & allies.

Yes I know about that clan, it was the EvE Online equivalent actually but I think it didn't end well? I don't mean it's a bad game or something, on the contrary if it wasn't for the hacks and the heavy grind I would still be playing, but it was not a sandbox as it was advertised. Unless your goal was clan warfare the game had very little else to offer.

That's what I didn't like about darkfall really to begin with. It was advertised as a sandbox ffa pvp with full loot. There weren't any sandbox, apart from occasionally killing someone creatively.

If they keep the clan warfare but expand on other activities too it would be a game that really can stand out. Otherwise you just have a medieval fps that you have to grind your skills.

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

ITT: People presuming things they nothing about ina game that wasnt designed with them in mind.

• NemajnebNemajneb Member Posts: 12

You really couldn't have Darfall without FFA loot.  The game is all about power in your holdings and the reason you need to be in the open world is simply to get matts for your gear to be made, make it so there is no FFA loot...and you'd never find people in the ow.  Even boss type mobs are all about the enchanting drops, etc. 

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Yes I know about that clan, it was the EvE Online equivalent actually but I think it didn't end well? I don't mean it's a bad game or something, on the contrary if it wasn't for the hacks and the heavy grind I would still be playing, but it was not a sandbox as it was advertised. Unless your goal was clan warfare the game had very little else to offer.

That's what I didn't like about darkfall really to begin with. It was advertised as a sandbox ffa pvp with full loot. There weren't any sandbox, apart from occasionally killing someone creatively.

If they keep the clan warfare but expand on other activities too it would be a game that really can stand out. Otherwise you just have a medieval fps that you have to grind your skills.

Yeah I found the "sandbox" aspects lacking also. The only thing I found truly sandbox about it was your character building / skills. The world itself had pretty much nothing sandbox about it. The bases / holdings were all pre-determined and everything in them was static. You didnt have a choice of what to build and where, just wether or not to build it and in what order. Same with housing. You had no control over housing eexcept for which preset house you bought in which already existing village. You couldnt "build" anything. It sounds like theyre making at least a little bit of improvement to this with allowing more customization to the holdings

I hope it is much better than the 1st, though I feel unless they add a lot more sand into the sandbox its still going to be very similar. I so wish a company with good devs and some decent financial backing would combine Darkfall + Xsyon and/or Wurm. I mean hell, Wurm was quite impressive for its sandboxiness event hough the graphics and combat were lacking, and that game was made by 1 freaking guy. With AV having a larger staff and apparently more funds now I would think they would be capable of creating such a combination. Obviously not for the launch of DFUW, but perhaps later down the road if this game is succesful.

As for the ending with the clan we had going. Yeah we had a nice run and lots of fun for awhile. But shortly after I worked my way up to becoming one of our generals I grew bored with the game / tired of the exploiting, etc and left, which also meant several of my friends and my brother (all who were officers / generals as well) leaving around the same time,. So the entire thing kind of fell apart very quickly with losing a big chunk of its leadership.

Several of us will be back for UW though. I doubt we will get the old clan going though, or at least not with the same goals in mind as before.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Many other system mechanics within the game would need to be changed to support a PvE server, and would require a significant amount of work and balancing to do.  Wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose of the whole game?

ANd for goodness sakes, it's not hard to figure out what the problem is with people killing each other all over the place.  No, it's not safe areas, althought, I think cities and such should be as close to safe as possible without being coded in as such.  While full loot pushes players to be a bit more opportunistic, is is not a major instigator by itself.  It's not that gamers in general like to kill for no reason, just because they can, even though they do.  Or any other reason you guys can come up with that isn't the problem, which I'm sure, is a lot more than I've listed because people don't have what is called, deductive reasoning.  

It seems to be an elusive ability for most, unfortunately.

The biggest problem is that when you combine all of those things, you create a very dangerous and unstable environment for the gamer.  And not restricting this via code is the biggest issue of them all.  I'm not saying to remove FFA PvP.  I'm saying, create legitimate consequences for killing people.  Ultima Online's system worked for years, before they went to Trammel of course.  There were no loop holes or exploits.  If you attacked an innocent, you were labeled a criminal, thus attackable by all without punity.  If you killed too often, you became a murderer for significant amount of time.  You were attackable by all, you were locked out of your bank, attack on site in all NPC cities and if death happened, you would take permenent stat loss.

Now I would take it a step further and lock out your character for a certain amount of time, based on the severity of your crimes of course.  However, the only way this mechanic would work is if AV allowed us to create multiple characters.  A decision that is baffling me to this day.  Multiple characters allows replayabilty.  But, clearly they went the themepark-carebear route (Which is odd for AV) and they are allowing free respecs (or role changes) at any time, on the fly.  

Anyways, the point is this.  If you place a large enough punishment onto players who murder others without a thought in their mind, you will effectively reduce their willingness to make the game play of others uncomfortable.  You'll go a long way in attracting new players and keeping existing players as well.  If you want to siege and fight in large battles, join a guild/clan and go to war with someone.  There is no reason that you can't cater to both styles of play, unless of course, the obvious happens.  AV is too blind to see the real problem

Also, fix your dumb combat system.  Stop forcing people in and out of multiple view perspectives.  It's not immersive and completely destroys the flow of combat.  Thanks.