Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My top 10 gripes about GW2

13»

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

The only group mobs you can't kill solo as a max exotic decked lvl 80 in any zone are the gold ones. Anything else you can clear on your own and thus get only the success path. Sure, in the lower populated servers it is possible to see a dynamic event failure, if there is absolutely nobody around to interract with it. I wish they would create alternative success paths instead of a linear A-B-C-D path, where A is absolute failure and D is absolute success.

Yes, you can place town clothes in the town slot. Apparently you can also cheat durability costs by switching to town clothes just before dying (also fall damage gives no durability losses). However, if I have equipped,say exotic karma set A which I consider best stats set for the slot with also a decent look, but I would also like to occassionally change my look to cultural armor set B, under the current system I can't do it unless I a. equip the inferior armor or b. destroy the A set and replace it with B set looks.

I didn't notice any performance drop myself, but the difference in texture quality, both on character and environment, was quite noticeable. Unless we enbrace and demand improvements and scalability in our games, we'll only end up playing with graphics the 7-8 years old consoles can handle. If a mmorpg, which is supposed to be a multi-year experience, starts its life with an already outdated engine, how will it look in a couple years from now?

My only solution to the auto attack problem is that it doesn't work, period. Which basically means that I spam the key and hope that the server acknowledges that a target is in front of me. A player is not a mob that will sit neatly in front of you, but he'll spin around and inside you and unless I keep spamming that key, the game won't attack. Other games without collision detection have solved this issue more gracefully, so I hope Anet will also catch up.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by snapfusion

No in single player games I always play hard mode,  in MMO's everyone takes the easy mode and the path of least resistance, as soon as things get competive the rules change.

competetive for what? getting 100% map completion? skills little faster? level little faster? doesn't take long to get 80 for most people anyway.. for me I do what is more enjoyable.. when I have those markers on my map it turns into i must get to this SP or this Vista instead of just wandering around and exploring the zones.. with them off the leveling and questing aspects of this game are so much more enjoyable imho.

I agree. They should remove those markers.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Emrendil
    Originally posted by snapfusion

No in single player games I always play hard mode,  in MMO's everyone takes the easy mode and the path of least resistance, as soon as things get competive the rules change.

competetive for what? getting 100% map completion? skills little faster? level little faster? doesn't take long to get 80 for most people anyway.. for me I do what is more enjoyable.. when I have those markers on my map it turns into i must get to this SP or this Vista instead of just wandering around and exploring the zones.. with them off the leveling and questing aspects of this game are so much more enjoyable imho.

I agree. They should remove those markers.

You also get a gold star next to your name once you complete 100% map completion.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Z3R01

With 200 hours played the game is fine... stop making lists. I played SWTOR for 3 hours and uninstalled... that game deserves a list.

WOW a whole 3 hours and you think you know the whole game. It takes you 3 hours to get off the starting planet and choose a Class Spec, then another 5 - 6 hours to get your ship. You cant make a list for game with 3 hours of game play thats like writing a review for a book when the only info you have is from the short paragraph you read on the back of the book.

How long should i suffer through a game... something that's supposed to entertain me before i can give up?

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

my top 10

1) WvWvW zergs. it's a clusterf$%# and nobody can deny it.

2) level 80s in the same WvW as me :( (i want brakets, at least like 2 or 3)

3) players not loading when in large WvW battles. Seriously wtf, all i see is a crap load of red names but no players modles loading. Sometimes i'll go entire minutes seeing only red names floating arround.

4) repair costs. Not a huge problem right now because i'm at low levels but i can see this being a huge problem at end game.

5) no trinity. it's pretty boring always being the dps no matter what class you are. call me old fashined but i like to switch roles from time to time.

6) no class icon when you have an enemy targeted. this is a piss off. i know they did this just to complicate things more but it's pretty much only annoying.

7) the hearts when you cure/remove a condition...hearts? really? why not fluffy bunnies? or even bette: rainbow unicorns...

8) 80 levels.....why? you stop getting anything cool at arround level 40 and are totaly bored of levelling by level 60. why so many usless levels?

9) arrow carts are OP....jk it's the only way low level chars can kill anything in WvW.

10) wtf is wrong with the mouse camera in this game? it is so damn sticky i feel like throwing my mouse every 5 minutes.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

5) no trinity. it's pretty boring always being the dps no matter what class you are. call me old fashined but i like to switch roles from time to time.

This is a learn to play issue. I had the same problem, not trying to troll you. I expirimented with builds and you really can make a support based character.

for instance on my guardian i have hi support specced with high healing. i have a setup where my boons last a really long time, i have 2 sets of almost constant aoe healing, with the ability to give aoe might and retaliation.

while none of these are "cast heal" they definitely make a difference and i can still contribute pretty good to damage. I also have a sigil on my mace that removed boons from enemies and another sigil that gives a 30% chance of healing nearby on my hits.

i was a nonbeliever before in the dungeons and you can check my posts, but ive figured it out and it really does work well. You have to put some thought into your setup for teamplay.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Xasapis

*snip*

I didn't notice any performance drop myself, but the difference in texture quality, both on character and environment, was quite noticeable. Unless we enbrace and demand improvements and scalability in our games, we'll only end up playing with graphics the 7-8 years old consoles can handle. If a mmorpg, which is supposed to be a multi-year experience, starts its life with an already outdated engine, how will it look in a couple years from now?

My only solution to the auto attack problem is that it doesn't work, period. Which basically means that I spam the key and hope that the server acknowledges that a target is in front of me. A player is not a mob that will sit neatly in front of you, but he'll spin around and inside you and unless I keep spamming that key, the game won't attack. Other games without collision detection have solved this issue more gracefully, so I hope Anet will also catch up.

I can guarantee GW2 will age much better than TSW in the graphics department... Fantasy type games with a cartoony(wow) or more artistic(GW2) artstyle have much longer shelf life in the graphics departments.

No clue why your auto attack doesn't work I'd submit a bug report.. I swap my auto from a couple differn't attacks all the time and have no had a single issue with it not auto attacking once I target something.. do you have the upgrade to lock targets option unchecked by any chance?

EDIT 

just saw this posted on another thread maybe this was your issue?

how it was explained on forums

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/engineer/Engineer-Kits-Auto-attacks-Fixed

engineers weapon kits (like Flamethrower) used to not have an auto-attack set. You would have to manually spam the 1 key, or Ctrl + click on the first ability to toggle it, EVERY time you switched to a weapon kit.

That is now fixed and this removed a lot of the awkwardness engineers had to deal with.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by rungard

This is a learn to play issue. I had the same problem, not trying to troll you. I expirimented with builds and you really can make a support based character.

for instance on my guardian i have hi support specced with high healing. i have a setup where my boons last a really long time, i have 2 sets of almost constant aoe healing, with the ability to give aoe might and retaliation.

while none of these are "cast heal" they definitely make a difference and i can still contribute pretty good to damage. I also have a sigil on my mace that removed boons from enemies and another sigil that gives a 30% chance of healing nearby on my hits.

i was a nonbeliever before in the dungeons and you can check my posts, but ive figured it out and it really does work well. You have to put some thought into your setup for teamplay.

yea i swap builds around almost every couple levels.. not always swapping roles but playstyes all the time.. but you can easily build support focused builds with numerous classes...  Much more flexible than a trinity based system IMHO once you unlock a good amount of traits and can play with numerous builds that is..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

If you dont mind could you PM your build? My secondary is a Guardian and I would like to see what you have done.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

1. lack of meaningful or long term gear progression.  This was a design choice, but I lost all motivation when I bought my yellow gear so cheaply.  And orange gear wasn't significantly better.  I'm someone who doesn't mind running dailies to get nice upgrades though. 

2. Lackluster WvWvW and gold sink nature

3. Dungeon finder

4. Poor communication from ANet (pretty standard for most MMO devs)

5. client side code written to easily exploit

6. Lack of Trinity.  Only did one dungeon and didn't really like the chaotic nature.  I'm sure I could grow to appreciate it.  But I'll take long waits as dps for a trinity system over a system I don't enjoy at all.  I think the solution to trinity dungeons is to have them be atleast 6 players, or 4 dps per tank/healer pair.  Also, give real incentives to the underpopulated classes.

I really enjoyed leveling in GW2 and part of my boredom just comes from where I'm at in my personal life.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

This is OT but, after I read the title I was for some unknown reason expecting to see a song simmilar to the 12 days of christmas only made out to be the 10 gripes of gw2. I have no idea why, but I thought it was important enough to post... anyway.

Come on, you know you want to make that list, dress the drag and break into song and dance.

Originally posted by Wakygreek

This is OT but, after I read the title I was for some unknown reason expecting to see a song simmilar to the 12 days of christmas only made out to be the 10 gripes of gw2. I have no idea why, but I thought it was important enough to post... anyway.

Come on, you know you want to make that list, dress the drag and break into song and dance.

haha maybe closer to christmas Ill consider it:P

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Here's my list:

1.  Broken Skill Challenges.  I've run into a couple of these, and so has my wife....in different areas.  Nothing ticks me off more in this game than this.  This is the main means of power progression for your character so it sucks bigtime when the challenges don't work.

2.  Broken DE's.  Besides the broken challenges, broken DEs are the bane of GW2, IMO.  The way I understand it, DE's are supposed to be the bread and butter of the game so they should work.  Period.  I do realize that we are very early after release but IMO there are too many broken DEs and Skill Challenges to be acceptable.  Please, Anet, make this your top priority.

3.  Weapons skills.  Don't get me wrong, I think weapons-based skills are pretty genius.  I just think there are too few per weapon.  I think it would be great if there were unlockable weapons skills (using skill points, maybe), just like there are unlockable utility and elite skills.  Which brings me to:

4.  Utility/Elite skills.  Not nearly enough of these either.  Having played GW1 for so long, I got pretty used to the idea of unlocking many, many skills that I could use to enhance my character and have a unique fighting style.

5.  Build Manager.  C'mon Anet. You guys set GW1 up so we could save our build templates and with a couple of clicks, swap builds.  Please, please, please implement this in GW2 asap!

6.  Armor sets.  While I think much of the armor is cool, there needs to be much more variety.  I can't stand that my female human necro from GW1 looks so much more badass than my male Norn necro in GW2.  Or that my necro looks like a purple/green/black version of a mesmer or an ele.  If I wanted to pick one of those professions, I would have.

7.  Lack of bank space.  This doesn't affect me as much as it does my wife as she shares an account with both my kids but it's still kind of irritating to me.  I think, say, 50 slots to start would have been fine, vs. the 30 we get is just not quite enough, especially since they are shared by all characters on the account.

8.  Vistas.  Some vistas are pretty cool to get to because of the challenge in figuring out how to get up there.  Some are way too easy.  To me, enjoying the vista is the payoff for accepting the challenge of getting there.  Kind of like mountain climbing.

9.  Crafting.  While I like to craft, it can get kind of annoying that you have to farm so much (or spend gold) to get materials.  Especially if ppl in your guild aren't able to give you mats they don't need because they are busy when you want to craft.  At least at the lower levels (say up to 75 crafting level) I think you should be able to buy the basic mats from a vendor.  Like the master craftsman.  Maybe that would "dumb it down" too much for some people, though.

10.  WvWvW queues.  How f'ing annoying to have to sit there and wait for an hour or more to play WvWvW.  That's why I don't play if often even though I love it.  Oh well, maybe by the time I'm lvl 80 and want to play it regularly the queue issue will be addressed.  We'll see.

I absolutely love GW2 but there are definitely some issues.  Some are just design issues that I happen to disagree with and that's fine.  If I want a game that fits my every whim, I'll have to make it myself!  :)  However, some are issues of just being broken.  These need to be fixed soon.  None of it is game breaking for me, and I know Anet is working hard to address these issues.  They are just very annoying in an otherwise outstanding game.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Since I apparently I can't say a single bad thing about GW2 figured I post my top 10 gripes I have with the game in no particular order..

5. Hearts- i don't really mind doing them but feel the game overall would of been a lot better how it was orginially designed with only DE's and no hearts at all

again i could go on for another 50 but those are my top 10 right now.. still game is amazing and having a blast even after almost 200 hours since lauch... back to Tyria:)

Can agree on all acounts but 5. Not sure if will still playing without them. Now at least can know where to go to find work .. otherwise would need just randomly to wander. Exploring is fun, but not wandering. So hope hearts stay.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

7) 100% magic find does not give you 100% magic find. Label it for what it is or let players know what the cap is.

I think it pretty clearly says "increases your chance by X%"

So if a mob has 5% chance to drop a magic item, if you increase your magic find by 100% the mob will have a 10% chance to drop an item...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by BadSpock

7) 100% magic find does not give you 100% magic find. Label it for what it is or let players know what the cap is.

I think it pretty clearly says "increases your chance by X%"

So if a mob has 5% chance to drop a magic item, if you increase your magic find by 100% the mob will have a 10% chance to drop an item...

I agree - people need to understand math better.