Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 is EXCELLENT!

SnivonimSnivonim Member Posts: 2

Let me preface by saying I was NOT a GW1 fan - I played for about an hour before putting it away. 

Guild Wars 2 on the other hand is a beautifully rendered, extremely well thought out, MMORPG.. oh, and did I mention it is free-to-play?

IS it perfect? It is literally impossible to please all of the people people all the time.  Some people won't like it, possibly because it isn't exactly like their favorite game, or therer is too much of a learning curve or whatever. WoW of course designed their game to the lowest common denominator of gamer; a genuine attempt to please at least as many of the people as they could and thus generate as much as profit as they could. The business was outstanding success. The game on the other hand was/is linear, boring, and imho - BUTT UGLY. But enough WoW-bashing..

Regardless of what your fave game was in the past (mine was DAoC) GW2 is a truly fresh and compelling game. The action is  non-stop there is tons to do, the combat is extremely cool and varied, and the crafting system is different and quite deep.

On a development note I also must give ANET massive kudos for delivering the first game that I have seen released that  out-of-the-box  has not been down for a protracted amount of time for patching. GW2, to the best of my knowledge, has not in fact been down once since it's release. When new patches/builds are ready, they give you a warning before they boot you out of the game for just a few minutes,  and then you log back in, auto-download the new patch and pick up where you left off. This is a trmendous improvement from past games I've played (DAoC notably was horrible about patching) where games could be down for hpours, even days, during prime-time, and especially when they were first releasaed crawling with bugs..

Am I a fan? I sure am.. now!

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Why did you call the game free to play? You didn't pay a box price?
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Why did you call the game free to play? You didn't pay a box price?

Because they actually mean "free-to-continue-playing".

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Snivonim

Let me preface by saying I was NOT a GW1 fan - I played for about an hour before putting it away. 

Guild Wars 2 on the other hand is a beautifully rendered, extremely well thought out, MMORPG.. oh, and did I mention it is free-to-play?

IS it perfect? It is literally impossible to please all of the people people all the time.  Some people won't like it, possibly because it isn't exactly like their favorite game, or therer is too much of a learning curve or whatever. WoW of course designed their game to the lowest common denominator of gamer; a genuine attempt to please at least as many of the people as they could and thus generate as much as profit as they could. The business was outstanding success. The game on the other hand was/is linear, boring, and imho - BUTT UGLY. But enough WoW-bashing..

Regardless of what your fave game was in the past (mine was DAoC) GW2 is a truly fresh and compelling game. The action is  non-stop there is tons to do, the combat is extremely cool and varied, and the crafting system is different and quite deep.

On a development note I also must give ANET massive kudos for delivering the first game that I have seen released that  out-of-the-box  has not been down for a protracted amount of time for patching. GW2, to the best of my knowledge, has not in fact been down once since it's release. When new patches/builds are ready, they give you a warning before they boot you out of the game for just a few minutes,  and then you log back in, auto-download the new patch and pick up where you left off. This is a trmendous improvement from past games I've played (DAoC notably was horrible about patching) where games could be down for hpours, even days, during prime-time, and especially when they were first releasaed crawling with bugs..

Am I a fan? I sure am.. now!

And you think Anet isn't catering to as many people as they can and please them? how do you think GW2 is going to sell million of boxes if they don't design their game to please everyone? after all Mike O Brain the head honcho of GW2 claims that he wants to beat WOW and be number one. So i find this comment regarding 'WOW designed for lowest common denominator' quite ironic.

Fans of one mainstream MMO designed to please the masses flaming another MMO designed for masses....that is rich.

• leftyZXleftyZX Member UncommonPosts: 9

I played for about an hour before putting it away. 

yea....right..... cool story bro

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I Must agree...GW2 is an Excellent Game!

imageimage

imageimage

...and it will get better & better over time...this is just the begining^^

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    [mod edit]
  • Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by Scellow

Not so great mate

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2

You probably work for A.NET like all other who . naah i leave ..

It doesn't tell us anything yet.  All games have an initial surge of people playeing every available second because its new and shiny..  then we settle into a more relaxed and reasonable amount of playtime (especially when our partners start complaining!).

I have to respectfully disagree with other posters who say Xfire stats are meaningless..  whilst there could of course be a difference between people who do and don;t use xfire, I find it hard to imagine that these two groups of people behave radically different with regard to MMO's.  Xfire can be used to detect trends so long as we accept there is a higher margin of error than a truly random sample of players.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Tawn47

I have to respectfully disagree with other posters who say Xfire stats are meaningless..  whilst there could of course be a difference between people who do and don;t use xfire, I find it hard to imagine that these two groups of people behave radically different with regard to MMO's.  Xfire can be used to detect trends so long as we accept there is a higher margin of error than a truly random sample of players.

This. Xfire stats aren't an oracle and has only a limited reliability. That doesn't mean that it's totally worthless though when it comes to spotting trends, especially when you combine it with stats from other sources like Raptr etc. If the trend in both Xfire and Raptr for a game are the same (and for WoW incl WoW census, and for EVE incl the PCU stats), then common sense should conclude that a trend apparently isn't just an Xfire thing and only limited to that tool and the Xfire playerbase.

If stats are too way off from one tool to the next, then it's also obvious that a figure shouldn't be trusted like that.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Um... yes you can make a point of that all, but at the same time they have (and still have) quite a lot of issues that do kind of demean that whole point. They fix stuff relatively quick though there is a LOT of stuff that wasn't really implimented well and bugs out and well, gg its not going to reset you might as well pray they need to suddenly kick you off for a build, which is also a flaw of being spontanious with it. The fact they refuse to really release information unless you actively check twitter or facebook (or aka, your advertising for them) is a really poor method for giving players information on a game. 

Sorry, just had to mention that, I just completely dislike seeing stuff praising an element of the game I see as exposing the posative and not mentioning the negative which I feel is much more prevelant then their good traits. While they have fixed up enough to make it much better, the launch itself was far from perfect, being one of the rougher starts for an big name MMO in some time. 

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Not so great mate

Second MMO only to WoW on a freshly released expansion MoP is not so great? It doesn't make the game any better or worse, but it's doing great.

imageimage
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

There are definitely less players playing than at launch, but i still cant go anywhere and do an event without a zerg being present.

it makes sense, theres a bunch of new games out.  

when i stop seeing the zergs in pve and pvp, then there might be a case.

The game is excellent though. People have such high expectations and a sense of entitlement these days so you have no chance of pleasing those people. You give them gold and they were expecting platinum. Not much you can do about that.

• slingblade25slingblade25 Member Posts: 33

Fear is the only rational explanation for obsessively hating on something so much. Anyone saying this game isn’t doing well is trolling.

I agree OP the game is fun and there is plenty to do. IMO the best part of this game is the WvW pvp.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by redman875

Originally posted by Caliburn101
    Not so great mate   http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2     You probably work for A.NET like all other who . naah i leave ..

Xfire stats are irrelevant - they are representative of people who use Xfire.

I have Xfire for some other games but not for MMOs - it's pointless imo.

Regardless of whether it shows 'win' or 'fail', Xfire is at best an indication of a certain segment of a subdivision of MMO gamers playing - to say nothing of the profile of such gamers.

Check the figures for other MMOs and you will find a pattern of usage similar to this in most cases - even where the MMO is generally regarded as successful.

Using Xfire figures to frame your entire conclusion is ridiculous until you can demonstrate the degree to which it represents the entire GW2 community..... which you can't.... because it doesn't.

Oh... well...xfire stats only become irrelivant when its not supporting your mmo-political-view.  Before Xfire was so accurate and agreat indicator when GW2 was looking better than wow.  All of a sudden, people realize the gam is shallow and stop logging in, xfire shows this, xfire becomes a bad indicator because it can no longer be used by fanbois to support their arguments.

You need to have some super thick fanboi blindfolds on to not see this game has peaked long ago, and if they dont actually add an endgame asap, its going to be the big flop it would have been had they charged a sub for it.

See, the problem here is that it's only extremes that I can see in those discussions. But no, Xfire isn't some fullproof oracle-like measuring tool nor is it completely untrustworthy. No, GW2 isn't some 'WoW killer' nor is it some major flop.

Seriously, can over 90% of people on this site only think in extremes and black or white? Cause it feels like I'm alone sometimes representing some middleground and 'truth lies somewhere in the middle' path.

I thought we all are of a mature, sensible age here, but discussions on this site are often juvenile in their extreme black&white thinking.

GW2 has 2 million sales, good critics AND user ratings, AND still lots of people playing and enjoying it. Doesn't sound like an MMO flop at all, but no, it doesn't beat WoW's 9 million subs just like that (did people SERIOUSLY expect that?)

If you wanna use Xfire as measuring tool - purely bc of lack of better ones - try using Raptr too and server status. At least you'll be able to compare, AND you can determine if a trend is only in Xfire or other player activity tools too, that should shut some ppl up about it. But still keep in mind what they measure and what they don't.

I really, deeply wish people wouldn't be so lazy to only talk in either extremely good or extremely bad about a game they like or dislike, and regard it all more sensible >.>
  • NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by redman875
    Originally posted by Caliburn101

Not so great mate

Xfire stats are irrelevant - they are representative of people who use Xfire.

I have Xfire for some other games but not for MMOs - it's pointless imo.

Regardless of whether it shows 'win' or 'fail', Xfire is at best an indication of a certain segment of a subdivision of MMO gamers playing - to say nothing of the profile of such gamers.

Check the figures for other MMOs and you will find a pattern of usage similar to this in most cases - even where the MMO is generally regarded as successful.

Using Xfire figures to frame your entire conclusion is ridiculous until you can demonstrate the degree to which it represents the entire GW2 community..... which you can't.... because it doesn't.

Oh... well...xfire stats only become irrelivant when its not supporting your mmo-political-view.  Before Xfire was so accurate and agreat indicator when GW2 was looking better than wow.  All of a sudden, people realize the gam is shallow and stop logging in, xfire shows this, xfire becomes a bad indicator because it can no longer be used by fanbois to support their arguments.

You need to have some super thick fanboi blindfolds on to not see this game has peaked long ago, and if they dont actually add an endgame asap, its going to be the big flop it would have been had they charged a sub for it.

This. It seems like so many people say xfire is bullocks when it does not back their view. Even I did it back when I had a touch of SWTOR fanboi-ism going (incidentally, xfire showed the SWTOR trends pretty much perfectly, and GW2 looks pretty similar if not showing a steeper drop in playtime/numbers). But let's face it, it *does* serve to indicate trends, and the trend for GW2 is downward, pretty significantly downward. 

Let me say, I *love* GW2, and am having a blast. But I am seeing my server get quieter and quieter, at least from my perspective. I want to have a healthy server and a fun game, and rather than look at xfire stats and discredit them, I am hoping Anet is looking at them and getting to the bottom of why people *are* leaving, and do what it takes to make it fun for as many people as possible. 

Do I want the game to appeal to everyone? Hell no. But do I want it to appeal to enough people that it grows and thrives, oh yeah. Don't get me wrong, I do not think GW2 is "dying" or going to be a true F2P game anytime soon, or ever, but the xfire stats *are* a pretty good indicator to how things trend, whether you want to believe them or not. 

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

It's too early to start playing around with Xfire numbers. Hours played will always diminish rapidly shortly after release.

The game list - http://beta.xfire.com/games (you will need to click the "Show all games" link) shows GW2 is still number 5 against some very heavy hitters. It would be number 4 if it wasn't for the release of MoP, which may itself have sucked a few GW2 players away. For how long remains to be seen.

This discussion has been closed.