Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is doing fine, thank you very much

Comments

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Scalpless

The "game is doing poorly" talk is standard mmorpg.com stuff. After all, if people don't play it ten hours a day like they used to, it must be dying, right? I wouldn't take it too seriously.

This. Every forum on this site seems to be full of this attitude. The attitude seems to be "wait, someone logged out? OMGFAIL".

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

So you sorted by population and scrolled to the high population ones, cool.

WIth the exception of 2 or 3 servers they are ALL high/full in the US.

Even during WOW peak hours.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

I guess you all forgot that GW2 is a BTP game....after you buy the box you don't have to pay to get in the game anymore.

Look at Foresaken World's activity....I'm guessing its way more alive than WoW as well...

Your numbers would be much more impressive if you had to pay a monthly fee, especially seeing as this game doesn't lend itself well to longevity.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Now when the rush to 80 crowd has taken a break I find myself grouping a lot more than few weeks ago, population is so spread out and when you ask to group for champs and puzzles I tend to get respons within seconds, It's great.

What server are you on? i will gladly transfer if response time is in seconds. Because i am getting a little tired of soloing through the zones.

Far Shiverpeaks.

You see now when people are so spread out and the 80s taking a break It's kinda hard to find groups allready fighting champs like you could before so you just jumped in.

Now I see people writing in chat, need help with troll champ or Blood witch is up, It's fun that people actually grouping up more and not join the zerge and move on.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Of course the game is doing well, a game with newbie zones full of active people even during off hours is obviously not about to die.

On my server too, people are very friendly and helpful on chat, in any zone. European server Gandara.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Zeus.CM
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by zonzai
    I must have missed all the GW2 is doing poorly posts. 

http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2#stats

I hear people like to use xFire to keep track of how many hours they played. Well, in GW2 you don't need that. Just type /age and you get hours played across all character and how many days has passed since oyu started playing. Only a veeery small minority of players use xfire.

One could easily make the argument that players who are more likely to use Xfire are more likely to be players who hop from major release to release.

And/or that they are the "blitzkrieg 1-80 in 2 weeks and then quit" types.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Yea its 01:44am here on the east coast and thought I would provide a little respite from all the "game is doing poorly" talk.

imageimage

As you see the game is thriving and doing really well STILL.  The past 2 days I have completed the last of my 1-15 zones for world completion and there are still hundreds if not thousands of general "newbie" questions being asked in those zones.  Which is firther proof that the game is still growing.  Dont despair fans, dont let the haters and detractors change your attitude.

I have to say, Im not trolling, but servers status dont mean active players, the game at the moment is overpopulated by bots, actually you will find that the status dont change at all dont matter what time it is, ¿you know why?, is called bots. I logged yesterday morning, my server were full, but i found just 10 players on the myst, and i cant remember all the bots that i found in the PvE world, it was just insane.  We wont know the truth state of the game if we still have an overpopulation of bots in everysingle server. So ask yourself: Gw2 is really doing fine?

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Eletheryl

I have to say, Im not trolling, but servers status dont mean active players, the game at the moment is overpopulated by bots, actually you will find that the status dont change at all dont matter what time it is, ¿you know why?, is called bots. I logged yesterday morning, my server were full, but i found just 10 players on the myst, and i cant remember all the bots that i found in the PvE world, it was just insane.  We wont know the truth state of the game if we still have an overpopulation of bots in everysingle server. So ask yourself: Gw2 is really doing fine?

Now this is just silly. You're saying that there are more bots than regular players in GW2? Come on, be realistic. That hasn't been the case in any MMORPG. I've seen bots occasionally, but they were only a fraction of the number of players I encountered, at least on my server. I think that other activity measuring tools confirm that GW2 is still doing ok. It's not at its peak of played hours that it had the first few weeks, but that makes sense too.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I just have a few questions.

What happens when server popularity is based on that server's PVP status? Now what happens when you open up server transfers for free? Is it possible that Arenanet wants to maintain control over the flow of transfers between servers and that they are constantly adjusting the thresholds so that one server doesn't become out of balance while another empties out?

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

/Facepalm. You do know posting that up is just as stupid as people posting it up for the opposite that a game is dieing. That 'high' message doesn't mean anything at all. Not to mention you can see bot hordes all around the place often making up a majority of a group trying to do some events which in a twisted way helps GW2 look more popular.

Not saying its doing poorly, but putting those pictures of 'population' is a very silly thing to do when it can easily be adjusted to make it look better then it really is. Maybe if it had the actuall # of players on it would actually be worth a gander whether its the game 'dieing' or 'doing good' but still its not really a good indicator.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by smh_alot
    Originally posted by Eletheryl I have to say, Im not trolling, but servers status dont mean active players, the game at the moment is overpopulated by bots, actually you will find that the status dont change at all dont matter what time it is, ¿you know why?, is called bots. I logged yesterday morning, my server were full, but i found just 10 players on the myst, and i cant remember all the bots that i found in the PvE world, it was just insane.  We wont know the truth state of the game if we still have an overpopulation of bots in everysingle server. So ask yourself: Gw2 is really doing fine?

Now this is just silly. You're saying that there are more bots than regular players in GW2? Come on, be realistic. That hasn't been the case in any MMORPG. I've seen bots occasionally, but they were only a fraction of the number of players I encountered, at least on my server. I think that other activity measuring tools confirm that GW2 is still doing ok. It's not at its peak of played hours that it had the first few weeks, but that makes sense too.

When someone has real stats on the number of bots, instead of anecdotal evidence, then we can say that the bots are having an impact on how busy the game looks. Until then, it's just more noise, like XFire and honestly, like the server status pages.

The only thing that is relevant is whether or not players are having fun. When you login, are there enough people for you to do whatever it is you want to do. It will be fairly obvious when that no longer happens to me, because the people in my office will no longer be talking about GW2.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    XFire
    XFire
    XFire
    XFIRE
    XFIRE

*head asplode*

Originally posted by BadSpock

One could easily make the argument that players who are more likely to use Xfire are more likely to be players who hop from major release to release.

And/or that they are the "blitzkrieg 1-80 in 2 weeks and then quit" types.

Pretty much yes.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

I regularly play on Gandara EU server, anywhere from 6:30pm to 3:00am or later sometimes. No population problems and WvWvW last night was heaving at 3:00am still.

On the subject of bots, I've yet to notice any. I've had 2 emails selling gold and reported about 5 gold sellers in chat since release.

Some servers must be worse otherwise where are all the Youtube videos coming from? I tend to think it's exagerated though unless I've just been lucky with my server choice.

Originally posted by lizardbones

The only thing that is relevant is whether or not players are having fun. When you login, are there enough people for you to do whatever it is you want to do.

15 to 20 players at least in my guild are online every evening, so I really have no problem finding likeminded people to do group content with :)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I find it extremely amusing when people allude to the game's so-called demise. I can't help but wonder if those same people have ever played a dying and/or dead game before. It is logical that people will be playing less a few weeks after a game's release. After waiting years for the game, I dedicated a weekend or two to immersing myself in the world and getting my initial fix. Now that the initial "omg it's finally here" has subsided, I've settled into a comfortable balance between living life and playing the game, as most normal people would do.

I have yet to come across a zone in-game that hasn't been populated by people - no matter what time of the day I've logged on. I have also not run into a single bot, or at least one that I've noticed. WvWvW queues are nowhere near a thing of the past, our full guild still has approximately 100 people online at least on any given week night...I could go on.

Overall, there are no signs that the game is dying. People will leave, others will join. And because there's no subscription fee, people can play other MMO's and come back to GW2 without it being the end of the world. GW2 will be my main MMO, but I'm not about to shun the rest of the industry in favour of it either. And that's perfectly fine because that's what ArenaNet is banking on - at some point, people can hop right back in and it'll pretty much be like they never left to begin with.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I just have a few questions.

What happens when server popularity is based on that server's PVP status? Now what happens when you open up server transfers for free? Is it possible that Arenanet wants to maintain control over the flow of transfers between servers and that they are constantly adjusting the thresholds so that one server doesn't become out of balance while another empties out?

If that were the case you wouldnt have the same servers always showing a lower pop than the rest, and you also wouldnt be seeing all the people who whine about long WvW queues. You also wouldn see any fluctuation in the server status. Youll typically see a few more of the servers drop from high to medium and full to high late at night / early morning, but its usually only for a few hours before the pop picks back up.

Besides, trying to do what youre saying would be idiotic. Number of players on a server doesnt directly correspond to WvW population. Some servers have a much larger WvW crowd than others.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

You know it's Arena.Net who decide when the server browser says "High" or "Full" or "Empty".

Give us actual numbers and you have something to lean on, that's just propaganda.

Yea its 01:44am here on the east coast and thought I would provide a little respite from all the "game is doing poorly" talk.

imageimage

As you see the game is thriving and doing really well STILL.  The past 2 days I have completed the last of my 1-15 zones for world completion and there are still hundreds if not thousands of general "newbie" questions being asked in those zones.  Which is firther proof that the game is still growing.  Dont despair fans, dont let the haters and detractors change your attitude.

Not trolling.... lol. Ive been on 4 different servers and have yet to see this massive number of bots you speak of. Ive seen a few here and there. The only "big" group Ive seen was about 12 of them underwater in WvW. Other than that Ive seen 2 or 3 together in a couple of zones but thats about it. What server are you playing on that theres more bots than players? Oh wait... clearly youre playing on EVERY server. Since you seem to know for a fact that every server is populated with hordes of bots.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

imageimage

Not trolling.... lol. Ive been on 4 different servers and have yet to see this massive number of bots you speak of. Ive seen a few here and there. The only "big" group Ive seen was about 12 of them underwater in WvW. Other than that Ive seen 2 or 3 together in a couple of zones but thats about it. What server are you playing on that theres more bots than players? Oh wait... clearly youre playing on EVERY server. Since you seem to know for a fact that every server is populated with hordes of bots.

I reported 15 bots within 2 hours of gameplay session on Far Shiverpeaks.  I don't think players need to see hordes of bots every where to come to the conclusion that it is indeed serious problem. 

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

You know it's Arena.Net who decide when the server browser says "High" or "Full" or "Empty".

Give us actual numbers and you have something to lean on, that's just propaganda.

You clearly dont have the slightest understanding of how the server populations work.

If a server shows "Full" you cant select that server as your home server. If Anet was controlling the server statuses to try and make it look better they would always be full and every new player would be forced onto the 2 or 3 lower pop servers and they would have jumped up to Full by now. But thats not happening. As the pops fluctuate slightly spots are opening for people to join the higher pop servers constantly. This is also what creates the overflow servers  / queues, which are still going strong on the more heavily loaded servers.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

imageimage

A good game needs no defense. A bad game, has none.  So far GW2 seems to be a good game. It has its share of short falls (what game doesn't?), but over all its entertaining.  Unless you actually enjoy baiting the trolls and haters, wouldn't it be best to let the game speak for itself, and stand on its own merits? 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Marius6870Marius6870 Member UncommonPosts: 46

Umm I hate to bust your bubble, but I play Guild Wars 2, and I don't use Xfire. Using Xfire to try and calculate how well a game is doing is a rather large failure simply because not everyone that plays GW2 uses Xfire like I pointed out. The game servers are almost always full, I see people everywhere, and server pops are high even in the weee hours of the morning. With over 2 million copies+ sold and rising, the game is not a flop, in facts its a rather big success.So for all of you doomsayers out there, please go play your Mist of Pandaria and leave our GW2 alone thanks....

P.S Why do people feel inclined to post that a game is failing these days? Look, if you did not like the game fine, but nobody is making you play it; And trying to make people feel like its a failure so they will stop playing is just a bunch of crap. Please go find a diffrent hobby other then slander thanks.And remember, nobody likes a hater. :P

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Again, it's BTP....servers will be full because of this....servers are full on alot of FTP asian grinders...doesnt mean they are the second coming....just means after paying the original price tag, there is nothing else to lose in logging in...

Numbers don't really matter with this game because of this...

Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

imageimage

I reported 15 bots within 2 hours of gameplay session on Far Shiverpeaks.  I don't think players need to see hordes of bots every where to come to the conclusion that it is indeed serious problem. 

I wouldnt exactly say 15 bots in 2 hours is "a lot" in comparison to actual player population. Do you people think there were only 10 players online in that 2 hours? No. There are thousands. With a few hundred thousand concurrent users online across all servers, several dozen bots per server is a very very very tiny % of the population. Even if there was only 100k online, and 1000 of them were bots, thats still only 1%. No idea how these guys come up with there are more bots than players.

If theyre still holding anywhere near 400k concurrent as they were a month ago, you would need 40k bots just to reach 10%. Spread across about 50 servers (between NA and EU) thats almost 1k bots per server online at once. You wouldnt be seeing small groups of them, you would be seeing dozens at a time anywhere you see 1.

If it were as Eletheryl claims and there were more players than bots (meaning over 50% are bots) you would be looking at more like 200k+ bots, meaning 4-5k per server. Can any of you honestly claim youve seen anywhere near those sort of numbers on any server?

Even if the pop has dropped to half from the 400k they were at a month ago, youre still claiming a couple thousand concurrent bots per server. Its just ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.