Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOP sales down?

Comments

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by Mothanos

My wife had a beta invite for MoP, i quited in aprill / may or something and waited for GW2 and played Rift / TSW / WoT to pass the time.

No i dint bought MoP not played it on live.

There are many leveling guides you can buy for a few euro's it takes 2 weeks to level to max on a easy pace.
    Proffesions at max are easy to do also, within 2 days you can max 1 profession out, take into account me and my wife played WoW since launch thats 8 years back ;)

Also leveling in WoW is made so easy compared to farming out remaining exp in Vanilla.
    You had to grind every level as you where running out of quest real fast in each qquest hub, take into account you dint get exp in pvp back then also ;)
    AV weekend brings you from 70 to 85 in less then half a day if your lucky with wins.

Leveling with BoA's made sure you can level like a rocket these days and most my chars i made way back in time and only needed a few levels with each expansion.

It aint Aion we are talking about ;)

If it's so easy to level then why bother transferring your characters at a cost of £200 a time? if it is as easy as you say it is then just make new characters on the realm you want to move to.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Iam not bitter :) !!!
    Iam disaponted in Blizzard for many reasons ;)

But who woulnt be ?

I came from EQ to WoW in 2004 made it to rank 13 and never stopped playing, maybe a few breaks here and there.

What bothers me is the greed blizzard is showing.

No free transfers out of death servers
    No tittle or mount or pet for veteran players
    No discount for people sticking with their game for almost a decade.

And now MoP...

People warned Blizzard the moment they where discussing panda's in real ife i thin kthey are cute man i realy do :)
    But putting themn ingame is a totaly diffrent story !!!
    Its hard to stop laughing with 20 of these kung fu style bears around you making funny sounds -_-

It ruins any sense of adult playingstyle.
    And thats my major bottleneck there, my expirience is not fun with these sounds around me :)

And yes maybe i was a addict ? but who aint these days with all these epic games ? :)

Quited WoW in May or Aprill and never looked back.

So did many of my friends and on Vent we still see a few officers but thats it, our 300 member guild is death and burried within 6 months time.

Not that I am a panda fan or anything but if spacegoats didnt ruin the sense of "adult playingstyle" I dont see how panda do it.

The fact that they dont close down dead servers suck though, they put a lot of work into weird fixes like cross server dungeon PUGs and multiserver zones instead of doing the logical thing.

Originally posted by Aeolron
    Originally posted by syntax42

I have 10 characters and all profesions on max, so when i server change i need them all.
    thats 10x20 euro - 200 euro for me alone then i have my wife with all profs on max.
    that would be 400 euro...
    Retarded prices if you ask me, no discount for old players from 2004

Basically, you are complaining because you are addicted to the game.  Take a break from WoW.  Take a break from all MMOs. Play like a normal person when you come back and make only one character.  It isn't Blizzard's fault that you feel the need to move ten characters around to different servers so often.

Also, your complaints don't seem to be relevant to the original discussion topic of this thread.

I hope that this thread has been debunked as useless information.  The cited news article does not account for digital sales, which makes the numbers completely worthless.  I'm no fan of WoW, but I was genuinely curious if this expansion had failed already.  It looks like we have to wait for more solid numbers from Blizzard.

It took a friend of mine in cata to reach cap on 4 toons a month, just a easy ass mmorpg thats becoming a joke because we have these fanbois who are so intoxicated in this game that they think blizzard is the best! 

If it is that easy to level, then Mothanos has no reason to complain.  Instead of paying for transfers, making new characters must be the way to go.

I don't play WoW, so I wouldn't know.  I was genuinely interested in the original topic of this thread, but I see it isn't going to be discussed further.

Even if it's on digital sales or retail outlets , lets be honest here, in the past even when Cata was out, you were hard pressed to find a copy ANYHERE you went , basicly had to wait a week! Now since MOP was released, I have walked into afew places big box stores , and what do I see? Tons and Tons of copies of MOP including a boat load of CE, back when that was unheard of, and if you can't see that as a issue then I don't know what will.

disregarding digital sales at the moment , because we have no numbers or facts or that so all we can do is speculate, but taking from what these retailers say and what their stocks produce I would say yes , the game Is'nt selling well at all.

Also , it's alittle harder to level up in Rift then in WoW I know because I played both games from both betas onward , and I also played games with extreme leveling difficulty , Example , EverQuest, and to Mathonas , he's right , that is stupid exspensive to pay for a transfer of 10 characters and honestly is a highway robbery. Don't mind these guys too much , you just hit the nail on the head!

It depends where you are with regards to finding the expansions on shelves, the last two expansions cataclysm and WOTLK were all over the game store shelves here in Scotland at release and afterwords. Even when StarCraft 2 released I walked in to a normal store a week after release and bought the collectors edition for £50.

I was in a store yesterday and they did have lots of MoP game boxes out but I saw nothing different from the last two expansions, they had also sold out of collectors editions.

The whole argument is pointless until Blizzard release info anyway and even then if the numbers are decent people will still say they are lying.

WoW has lost about 2-3 million subs from it's total since WOTLK/Cata release so it would make sense that sales of this expansion should be lower than those previous.

Originally posted by SlickShoes

If it's so easy to level then why bother transferring your characters at a cost of £200 a time? if it is as easy as you say it is then just make new characters on the realm you want to move to.

Uhm, I can actually understand that. Dont you feel something for your characters? I actually like mine and just making new all the time takes that away.

I mean, come on? You have to agree that the sum is one of the worst overpriced thing in MMOs ever. In GW2 you can just do it for free, but since Wow dont have those mechanics and do it for hand a fee is fine, but it should be 5 bucks or so. Dont tell me it is so complicated that it takes a employee days to transfer a character and cost Blizzard loads of money.

Originally posted by Loke666

Uhm, I can actually understand that. Dont you feel something for your characters? I actually like mine and just making new all the time takes that away.

I mean, come on? You have to agree that the sum is one of the worst overpriced thing in MMOs ever. In GW2 you can just do it for free, but since Wow dont have those mechanics and do it for hand a fee is fine, but it should be 5 bucks or so. Dont tell me it is so complicated that it takes a employee days to transfer a character and cost Blizzard loads of money.

Yes it is expensive, but people are paying it constantly which is why WoW will keep charging for it. They are making money from you being attached to your characters.

I can understand some attachment to a main character but the amount of hours I would have to put in to have 10 characters all at max level with max professions boggles my mind. Sure if the guy is on a totally dead server he should be able to move them all for free but if I was faced with pay £200 to move my characters or just start again I would probably choose neither and go find a new game to play.

I don't think £20 is too bad to pay in a one of scenario when you feel you have to move your server for some reason but if they make it free or cheap to just jump between servers then it leads to a different set of problems.

I thought Guild Wars would be charging for transfers? Currently it is free but as far as I was aware it would end up costing gems to transfer? ( i know you can earn them in game as well as buying in the cash shop )

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    What I find interesting is that Blizz is not boasting about how many boxes they have sold.  I mean Blizz loves to gloat,  but with MoP we get nada.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Yes it is expensive, but people are paying it constantly which is why WoW will keep charging for it. They are making money from you being attached to your characters.

I can understand some attachment to a main character but the amount of hours I would have to put in to have 10 characters all at max level with max professions boggles my mind. Sure if the guy is on a totally dead server he should be able to move them all for free but if I was faced with pay £200 to move my characters or just start again I would probably choose neither and go find a new game to play.

I don't think £20 is too bad to pay in a one of scenario when you feel you have to move your server for some reason but if they make it free or cheap to just jump between servers then it leads to a different set of problems.

I thought Guild Wars would be charging for transfers? Currently it is free but as far as I was aware it would end up costing gems to transfer? ( i know you can earn them in game as well as buying in the cash shop )

Yes and no. GW2 will let you play at other servers for PvE but nor for WvWvW but the system isnt up yet so right now you have a free transfer every day. So you could get stuck on a server for massive PvP there, but that is not as bad as getting stuck on one for good.

Of course if they would charge such a silly sum for transfering anyways I would be rwather loud and angry, and in GW2 you can pay stuff like this with ingame coinage.

I dont think a free character transfer every month and then charging a huge sum if you want to move more would make people jump around, now they are taking a huge sum and at the same time creating the need to move by not merging servers.

I smell Activision behind this.

Originally posted by Loke666

Yes and no. GW2 will let you play at other servers for PvE but nor for WvWvW but the system isnt up yet so right now you have a free transfer every day. So you could get stuck on a server for massive PvP there, but that is not as bad as getting stuck on one for good.

Of course if they would charge such a silly sum for transfering anyways I would be rwather loud and angry, and in GW2 you can pay stuff like this with ingame coinage.

I dont think a free character transfer every month and then charging a huge sum if you want to move more would make people jump around, now they are taking a huge sum and at the same time creating the need to move by not merging servers.

I smell Activision behind this.

It makes them money currently so they won't change it, they are probably rubbing there hands at people like this guy with 10 characters he feels tied to that will actually fork out the cash to move all of them to a new server.

The players should just not pay the money, personally I would pick one character and move it, I can earn that £20 back in an hour or so of work. 

Transfers being free currently in GW2 are not free forever they are there to fix something that is currently not working correctly so it's not really comparable to straight up payable transfer. I understand that you can pay with in game coin but to buy 1800 gems for the transfer would still cost a fair sum, still it's nice to have options.

I agree that the price of a transfer in WoW is very high it's really up to the players to NOT pay it and quit the game if they feel that way rather than continuing to subscribe to dead servers.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    I am still waiting for an official statement regarding sales. Don't believe others.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by IPolygon
    I am still waiting for an official statement regarding sales. Don't believe others.

somehow I don't see Activision/Blizzard admiting the sales of MoP really sucked. However you can bet your ass if they had sold  2 million or more it would been on the front page of every game site including this one long before now

I miss DAoC

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Originally posted by Jackdog

somehow I don't see Activision/Blizzard admiting the sales of MoP really sucked. However you can bet your ass if they had sold  2 million or more it would been on the front page of every game site including this one long before now

They have to tell their investors at some point.
  • AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

I have 10 characters and all profesions on max, so when i server change i need them all.
    thats 10x20 euro - 200 euro for me alone then i have my wife with all profs on max.

Basically, you are complaining because you are addicted to the game.  Take a break from WoW.  Take a break from all MMOs. Play like a normal person when you come back and make only one character.  It isn't Blizzard's fault that you feel the need to move ten characters around to different servers so often.

Also, your complaints don't seem to be relevant to the original discussion topic of this thread.

I hope that this thread has been debunked as useless information.  The cited news article does not account for digital sales, which makes the numbers completely worthless.  I'm no fan of WoW, but I was genuinely curious if this expansion had failed already.  It looks like we have to wait for more solid numbers from Blizzard.

It took a friend of mine in cata to reach cap on 4 toons a month, just a easy ass mmorpg thats becoming a joke because we have these fanbois who are so intoxicated in this game that they think blizzard is the best! 

If it is that easy to level, then Mothanos has no reason to complain.  Instead of paying for transfers, making new characters must be the way to go.

I don't play WoW, so I wouldn't know.  I was genuinely interested in the original topic of this thread, but I see it isn't going to be discussed further.

Even if it's on digital sales or retail outlets , lets be honest here, in the past even when Cata was out, you were hard pressed to find a copy ANYHERE you went , basicly had to wait a week! Now since MOP was released, I have walked into afew places big box stores , and what do I see? Tons and Tons of copies of MOP including a boat load of CE, back when that was unheard of, and if you can't see that as a issue then I don't know what will.

disregarding digital sales at the moment , because we have no numbers or facts or that so all we can do is speculate, but taking from what these retailers say and what their stocks produce I would say yes , the game Is'nt selling well at all.

Also , it's alittle harder to level up in Rift then in WoW I know because I played both games from both betas onward , and I also played games with extreme leveling difficulty , Example , EverQuest, and to Mathonas , he's right , that is stupid exspensive to pay for a transfer of 10 characters and honestly is a highway robbery. Don't mind these guys too much , you just hit the nail on the head!

It depends where you are with regards to finding the expansions on shelves, the last two expansions cataclysm and WOTLK were all over the game store shelves here in Scotland at release and afterwords. Even when StarCraft 2 released I walked in to a normal store a week after release and bought the collectors edition for £50.

I was in a store yesterday and they did have lots of MoP game boxes out but I saw nothing different from the last two expansions, they had also sold out of collectors editions.

The whole argument is pointless until Blizzard release info anyway and even then if the numbers are decent people will still say they are lying.

WoW has lost about 2-3 million subs from it's total since WOTLK/Cata release so it would make sense that sales of this expansion should be lower than those previous.

I'll clarify my statement slick just for you :)

What I meant by that was NA , more so in Canada then anything, because around these parts those expacs go like hot cakes, and considering that NA 's population is triple then the UK's it's not a good thing that MOP is still on shelves is what I am getting at, but in your case even if there are expacs on the shelf that early on the previous expacs further stregthens my point that the game isn't doing well anymore , and you just proved that in other countrys people are fed up.

I'll clarify my statement slick just for you :)

What I meant by that was NA , more so in Canada then anything, because around these parts those expacs go like hot cakes, and considering that NA 's population is triple then the UK's it's not a good thing that MOP is still on shelves is what I am getting at, but in your case even if there are expacs on the shelf that early on the previous expacs further stregthens my point that the game isn't doing well anymore , and you just proved that in other countrys people are fed up.

We need Blizzard to release sales figures first but to expect it to be the same or more than Cata is just crazy the game has about 3 million less players overall than when the last expansion released so I would expect sales of MoP to be down by at least half a million.

Ofcourse people are fed up the game is about 8 years old, I have played it for about 6 years on and off and some of those breaks I have taken have been more than year, I can't even imagine how burnt out someone must feel to play the same game for 8 years solid.

All I was saying in my last post was that every WoW expansion is on UK shelves right after release so this one seems no different. The population of NA is also much more than triple that of the UK there are 62 million in the UK and around 350 million in north america.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Why believe any doomsayers till we know how the digital sales went.  As many have said unless you wanted the physical CD or the music/Art DVD there was no incentive to not buy digitally.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

when blizzard broke sales records - it was announced a week after release

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html

Dec 7: Cata release

Dec 13: Cata sales PR

May 15 Diablo 3 release

May 23: Diablo3 sales PR  -- 8 day wait

Blizzard will probably make an announcement this week

They have to tell their investors at some point.

they will wait for the quarterly report if sales are bad, however if sales are spectacular they would have already been releasing press reports bragging

I miss DAoC

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Deathenger

Last I checked xfire, they still havent recovered from the loss of players when GW2 released even after MoP.

I dont think that article can really accuratly represent digital sales from the WoW main site so I'm sure its much higher than that. On active subscribers alone, even if they only sold MoP to half their subscribers it should still outsell GW2

WOW is back up to the #2 spot on Xfire, and hours played is almost double of GW2

Well since Wow has over 4x the subs you would think it would be over 4x the hours played right? Maybe its not going so well for Wow these days based on those numbers. Time will tell since the expansion just launched. Lets see those hours played in a month. 

GW2 is B2P and does not have subs.

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Every game that they released broke some kind of a record and yet they posted a week after the release. So you really have no ground with statements like this.

Whether MoP is a flop or not, we will find out about probably this week.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

another analyst says MOP will see 4.5 million units by Q3

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/

Update: Analysts at investment bank Brean Murray, Carrett & Co. are also weighing in on World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria’s financial impact, and they’re painting a rosier picture. They believe the expansion pack will be a key driver of publisher Activision Blizzard’s third quarter 2012 revenue growth.

“We  think  recent  reports  of  weak  retail  sales  for  Mists  of  Pandaria  may  fail  to reflect a channel shift toward a greater percentage of digital sales,” they said.

“More than 1 million people bought premium subscriptions, which bundled a year-long subscription with a copy of Diablo III. We look for the premium subscribers to not only pick up the expansion but for a significant portion of them to download it through the Battle.net platform, which should offer high margin revenue.”

Brean Murray estimates 4.5 million units of Mists of Pandaria will be sold in the third  quarter despite competition from free-to-play titles and NCSoft’s massively multiplayer online role-playing game Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 2 million copies. It also expects subscriber numbers to increase from 9.1 million to 9.8 million by the end of the third quarter.

GamesBeat has contacted Blizzard about this story and will update if there is a response.

edit:

personally, i think this analyst is overreaching

Blizzard Q3 ended Sept 30 - 2 days ago

Originally posted by fixif

Every game that they released broke some kind of a record and yet they posted a week after the release. So you really have no ground with statements like this.

Whether MoP is a flop or not, we will find out about probably this week.

I don't think this one broke anything except their winnng streak, you don't go atround bragging about your current product did worse than the last

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Nadia

another analyst says MOP will see 4.5 million units by Q3

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/

Update: Analysts at investment bank Brean Murray, Carrett & Co. are also weighing in on World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria’s financial impact, and they’re painting a rosier picture. They believe the expansion pack will be a key driver of publisher Activision Blizzard’s third quarter 2012 revenue growth.

“We  think  recent  reports  of  weak  retail  sales  for  Mists  of  Pandaria  may  fail  to reflect a channel shift toward a greater percentage of digital sales,” they said.

“More than 1 million people bought premium subscriptions, which bundled a year-long subscription with a copy of Diablo III. We look for the premium subscribers to not only pick up the expansion but for a significant portion of them to download it through the Battle.net platform, which should offer high margin revenue.”

Brean Murray estimates 4.5 million units of Mists of Pandaria will be sold in the third  quarter despite competition from free-to-play titles and NCSoft’s massively multiplayer online role-playing game Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 2 million copies. It also expects subscriber numbers to increase from 9.1 million to 9.8 million by the end of the third quarter.

GamesBeat has contacted Blizzard about this story and will update if there is a response.

Sundays XFire numbers were the equivelent of last Mays numberswhich were around 63K. For comparison January 22 2012 was the last ime WoW broke 100K.

historical data https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AimCXydAYDLYdHUwWGhfWXg2S3pVWFY5QjcxOWlLRUE#gid=0

you can also look at the web site traffic data here

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/blizzard.com

and here

http://www.quantcast.com/blizzard.com

I don't see any significant bump in web site traffic to back up a increase in public interest. On the other hand it does not take a rocket scientist to guess when Diablo III was released

every one is entitled to their opinion of course

I miss DAoC

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

It's been a week and still no official "first day" sales numbers.

I think this is the first real evidence that something might be wrong.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Zeppelin4

Take it for what its worth.

Link:

It looks like it’s going to take more than kung fu fighting pandas to save Azeroth.

Do not worry. Go instead to play game you enjoy if you do hate pandas or Blizzard.

So far game is a blast as all expansions. And have never heard about some company going only up. When you are at the top (and nobody long long long below) is hard to stay at very top. But for sure you are still the best.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

To me this speaks volumes

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/12/13/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-sales-explode

The artical is dated december 13 th 2010 exactly 6 days after Cataclysm was released . Blizzard couldn't wait to release the sales figures to the worlds press .

MoP was released 8 days ago so logically Blizzard should know what the release day sales were .

Thus far there has been no similar announcement . I suspect if sales had been impressive Blizzard would be singing the fact from the rooftops by now . 

Every day that now passes without an announcement from Blizzard makes it more likly the figures have been disapointing .

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by roo67

To me this speaks volumes

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2010/12/13/world-of-warcraft-cataclysm-sales-explode

The artical is dated december 13 th 2010 exactly 6 days after Cataclysm was released . Blizzard couldn't wait to release the sales figures to the worlds press .

MoP was released 8 days ago so logically Blizzard should know what the release day sales were .

Thus far there has been no similar announcement . I suspect if sales had been impressive Blizzard would be singing the fact from the rooftops by now . 

Every day that now passes without an announcement from Blizzard makes it more likly the figures have been disapointing .

That is the problem with cheering on your numbers when they're good, it becomes very apparent when they aren't good.

They've done that before, when they were having problems in China and their subscribers where shrinking. They were quiet for the longest time and then finally they got the game approved back into China, momentarily hit a new high and screamed it from the rooftops.

I know that no company wants to show how well it is really doing, the main fear being that if they show the declines or show that they are doing badly it might drive off more people. But I would just love for a company to come out that kept a daily update of their subscribers and their peak concurrent users for the day. A flat out honest company with nothing to hide.