Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game did you buy your first video card for?

Comments

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by bakabröd
    mine was for unreal 1.

Same deal for me

Geez hehe umm gotta think about that one LOL

had alot of floppy drive games hahaha but the first TRUE game I had on the PC was the fist Resident evil game with my 3DFX Extreme Voodoo haha I think I still have it somewhere :P I believe thats my first one , then of course was quake and unreal

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Was a Voodoo Card, and I bought it for that old Mechwarrior rip off it was called like Heavy Metal or something like that.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    I think I purchased a Voodoo card for one of those Descent games.  I miss that zero-gravity tunnel shooter.
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Lady_Vixen

Diamond Monster 3D video card (Original Voodoo?) for playing Quake back in the late 90's.

Yep, bought the very same one for Quake 1. Diamond Monster 3D, the add-on card with the famous Voodoo I 3dfx chip. Must be 1997 or so. 

Though, even before that, I got a Diamond FireGL. That card was meant to be used for stuff like CAD and 3D applications, but, wow, did it make the space sims look good! Though I have to say it was awfully expensive. I remember playing Wing Commander 3 or some such space combat game with that, and being really impressed.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Zeymere

I recall mine being a Voodoo, I think it was a Voodoo3 video card for Asherons Call.

Z.

VooDoo came to mind as well. For me it was 2x VooDoo2 (serial setup) in my old 386DX. Combined they had 24Mb memory which was more than the 8Mb I had on board *ROFL* Bought these cards for Quake II at the time iirc

But my 1st real card for a computer game would have been a EGA card (16 colors and it was a lot back then :D) for my old 8088 in 1991 to play Heroes of the Lance (AD&D Dragonlance RPG game)

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Everquest 1, nvidia riva TNT i believe it was.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Quake II. I got a Voodoo II card as backup to my regular card, I think I had a Matrox at the time (or was it a ATI Rage II?, cant remember).
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Here's another thing, though: Back in the early 90s, the purchase that showed that you were "serious" about PC gaming was not the video card (didn't need it, really). It was actually the sound card. I remember buying my first true sound card back in the very early 90s. It was either a Sound Blaster 1.5 or a 2.0. 

The traps in Prince of Persia sounded wicked with that! :)

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Quake 2, and I remember sitting around the monitor with friends, and saying "this is the future of gaming, I cant imagine games ever looking better than this!".

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by solarine

Here's another thing, though: Back in the early 90s, the purchase that showed that you were "serious" about PC gaming was not the video card (didn't need it, really). It was actually the sound card. I remember buying my first true sound card back in the very early 90s. It was either a Sound Blaster 1.5 or a 2.0. 

The traps in Prince of Persia sounded wicked with that! :)

Wolfenstien 3D with a sound card.. "Coming to get you" scared the **** out of me the first time I heard it!

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    A Voodoo card for Everquest in 1999 :)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    A Voodoo for Quake 1. I remember the old Voodoo ad's they were in pretty bad taste. One was of a car accident and showed a mnagled body with the Voodoo guy asking the cop whether eyeballs rolled or bounced when they were knocked out of a skull

I miss DAoC

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Guild Wars 1. NOT 2. That's what my second one was for....
  • fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. My computer couldn't run it so when we were kids my friend and I would go to the local university, even though we weren't students, and install it in thier computer labs to play and play with each other lol. Eventually I got a better card so I could play it on my computer from home. It only needed 32mb of VRAM and my computer only had 16 lol.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I never had one game I bought video card for.  

It have not bad resistance to getting worse performance / having to cut on details / avoiding games that are not playable for me as hardware getting older.

After some time when I can't stand it anymore - I just buy new / uppgrade.  

There was no one game that I was doing it for I think, at least I can't get any title out of my head. 

I think that games I most craved for usually did not have big hardware requirements.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Star Trek Voyager Elite Force.  Long time ago.
  • jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    Bought a Voodoo 3 so I could play Everquest back in 1999.

same here. had a heck of a time locating one, had to go to three gamestops (was eb games, at the time). and i remember being so pissed it cost 100 dollars. (my current card cost 400, lmao)

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Age of Conan...before that I used integrated graphics, which worked just fine for Anarchy Online

• TuxedoSLYTuxedoSLY Ultima Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 93

Some type of Nvidia card, can't remember which, to play the original Neverwinter Nights. It chugged along so terribly and I wanted to play it so badly I scrounged up, begged, pleaded, and finally got a new GFX card and it ran much much better.

Great topic, BTW!

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

+500KB for Settlers and The Black Eye @Amiga.
    And I bought a Competition Pro, because Quickshot sucked.. though they rocked at Decathlon and Winter Games.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Diamond Stealth 2d/3d and a Monster 1 3dfx card with the piggyback cable, all for Quake 1 :)

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    Everquest...

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II  I bought a Voodoo3 for it; well I actually got the card more for Rogue Squadron, but it sure helped.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• PhlaccPhlacc Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by nsignific
    Quake 1, the first 3D hardware accelerated game. I bought a Monster 3D (voodoo 1 chip).

That was mine also. Oh man, I forgot all about the Monster card (3DFX Chipset), back when Creative Labs made video cards. I was so excited to get it. Oh wait, was probably the Monster II Card. I think the first game I tried out the card was Quake 2 and Half-life.

Man, that really opened up video games for me. The first time that I saw Glide (3DFX openGL drivers) was a big WOW factor for me.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Had accellerated 2d (YES: 2d) back in the windows 386/3.0/3.1 and 3.11 for workgroups era.

The first card I bought specifically for a game (replacing my ATI Rage Pro) was a dual Voodoo2 SLI pack. That particular 3D-fx solution (SLI: Scan line interleave) kept me from ever buying a Geforce1 because it just outperformed the nVidia upcomer :-)

The game: Half-life OP4 and of course Counter Strike beta 0.65

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)