Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOP sales down?

Comments

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Originally posted by Ginaz

An update to the original story in the link:

"Update: Analysts at investment bank Brean Murray, Carrett & Co. are also weighing in on World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria’s financial impact, and they’re painting a rosier picture. They believe the expansion pack will be a key driver of publisher Activision Blizzard’s third quarter 2012 revenue growth.

“We think recent reports of weak retail sales for Mists of Pandaria may fail to reflect a channel shift toward a greater percentage of digital sales,” they said.

“More than 1 million people bought premium subscriptions, which bundled a year-long subscription with a copy of Diablo III. We look for the premium subscribers to not only pick up the expansion but for a significant portion of them to download it through the Battle.net platform, which should offer high margin revenue.”

Brean Murray estimates 4.5 million units of Mists of Pandaria will be sold in the third quarter despite competition from free-to-play titles and NCSoft’s massively multiplayer online role-playing game Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 2 million copies. It also expects subscriber numbers to increase from 9.1 million to 9.8 million by the end of the third quarter."

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#7QSW17czQFH28uPJ.99

Looks like things might not be as bad as some people hoped it would be.  I haven't bought a PC game in a store in years and no one I know who plays WoW bought MoP in one, either.

Anyone who's serious about WoW enough to buy a 1 year sub isn't likely to want to go to a store to buy MoP and not get to play i right at  release. It's laughable to suggest that anything but the vast majority of sales of MoP will be digital.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Don't worry guis, mop released in China so even if it sells a lot we have a new excuse to claim it's doing badly!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Ginaz

An update to the original story in the link:

"Update: Analysts at investment bank Brean Murray, Carrett & Co. are also weighing in on World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria’s financial impact, and they’re painting a rosier picture. They believe the expansion pack will be a key driver of publisher Activision Blizzard’s third quarter 2012 revenue growth.

“We think recent reports of weak retail sales for Mists of Pandaria may fail to reflect a channel shift toward a greater percentage of digital sales,” they said.

“More than 1 million people bought premium subscriptions, which bundled a year-long subscription with a copy of Diablo III. We look for the premium subscribers to not only pick up the expansion but for a significant portion of them to download it through the Battle.net platform, which should offer high margin revenue.”

Brean Murray estimates 4.5 million units of Mists of Pandaria will be sold in the third quarter despite competition from free-to-play titles and NCSoft’s massively multiplayer online role-playing game Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 2 million copies. It also expects subscriber numbers to increase from 9.1 million to 9.8 million by the end of the third quarter."

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#7QSW17czQFH28uPJ.99

Looks like things might not be as bad as some people hoped it would be.  I haven't bought a PC game in a store in years and no one I know who plays WoW bought MoP in one, either.

Stores don't tend to stock PC games anymore, at least here in the UK, so its either online mail order, or digital, and who has the patience for mail order? and yes, i bought digital, did an upgrade to my account from the launcher. MoP is probably the first expansion to be mostly digital imo, i fully expect digital sales to be the primary source in future for MMO's anyway, i would lay heavy odds that future expansions of GW2 will be available as a digital 'upgrade' directly from Arenanet too.image

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265

I for one love Pandaria and pre-ordered digital download, hence I and many others most likely don't show up on any sales listing... It is so much awesome fun, and I seriously couldn't care less what the population is on the game other than perhaps getting longer queue timers, but then again in a five man group wouldn't it stay the same anyway? If you lose as many tanks as healer and dps... 

Pandas rock, they are just so cute and the land is beautiful... I hate the new talent system but I'm always willing to deal with battle systems I hate for a game that I love for example Final Fantasy 8... even bought Final Fantasy 12, but the battle systems aren't my cup of tea, just the storyline is... 

Now, if only they could just add more features more talent points and guild advancement, instead of oversimplification *sigh*. 

Overall though, the launch was polished and smooth, and I'm having a great time, as are my guildmates ). 

Only problem, terrible timing on Brewfest, really? No time to get 90, and missing precious days that I can't kill Coren Direbrew because he's a 90 fight... 

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by ohpower

OK little additional facts

1 the actual source is Banque Lazard, which not is not above error but certainly reliable. These guys are investment banks, not your average mmorpg fan/"journalist". They tell people where to put their money, and don't give a **** about the actual future of the game apart from its financial reports, so I think they can be trusted. (And they very certainly aren't your average consultant: they are the real deal)

This.

Funny not one of the poster that keeps debating back and forth dares to quote and challenge this fact.

Maybe because it is fact, and therefore undebatable, unlike half of the spin about accuracy of statistics herp derp that people keeps on debating back and forth on.

Even if they can't be trusted (maybe they are not a very good investment bank), you can be reasonably certain that they didn't make up statistics just to troll WoW or they are GW2 fanbois or something. They are all about making money on investments, and they are stating their projection that they can't see a good investment in Activision/Blizzard's stock price at the moment.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Thing is many more people would have bought MoP if they dint go to an 8 year old style.
    I still hear people in my guild saying it a joke and panda's aint comming they are fooling us again like in April !! :)

Now they are at a point of no return, they choose that turn without listening to their playerbase.
    Arrogance is bliss.

Without panda's it would have sold more..
    Without panda's they could have let me return, and my guildies..
    Without panda's they dint split up their playerbase in half of who like and dislike panda's.
    Without panda's it woulnt have gotten the name kiddy pokemon and pandalands.

Over time MoP might sell a little better, but many people turned away from WoW when they announced Mist of Pandaria.

Dont get me wrong, my wife LOVES it :) !!!
    But i cannot buy MoP and hear that awfull sound of kung fu panda's
    Or spend another 300 euro to move to Outland with 6 hours queue where most of the EU playerbase moved to from their ghostown's

If this expansion fails, they cannot blame it on age, they may blame their Ghostcrawler who said we need panda's ingame.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Thing is many more people would have bought MoP if they dint go to an 8 year old style.
    I still hear people in my guild saying it a joke and panda's aint comming they are fooling us again like in April !! :)

Now they are at a point of no return, they choose that turn without listening to their playerbase.
    Arrogance is bliss.

Without panda's it would have sold more..
    Without panda's they could have let me return, and my guildies..
    Without panda's they dint split up their playerbase in half of who like and dislike panda's.
    Without panda's it woulnt have gotten the name kiddy pokemon and pandalands.

Over time MoP might sell a little better, but many people turned away from WoW when they announced Mist of Pandaria.

Dont get me wrong, my wife LOVES it :) !!!
    But i cannot buy MoP and hear that awfull sound of kung fu panda's
    Or spend another 300 euro to move to Outland with 6 hours queue where most of the EU playerbase moved to from their ghostown's

If this expansion fails, they cannot blame it on age, they may blame their Ghostcrawler who said we need panda's ingame.

For me anyone who does not buy MOP cus of panda's are missing out, the leveling experience (just dinged 87) is the best it has ever been, sure it's more on rails than it's ever been but so far it's been a joy to level, cannot speak for end game or this dailey grind I have been hearing about but I feel if millions did not come back for MOP cus of pandas then they've missed out.  You do have to get Blizz humor to appreciate it but it's hella fun for sure. 10/10 for the leveling experience.  This expac might go down as the best expac you've never played.

Originally posted by nsignific
    Don't worry guis, mop released in China so even if it sells a lot we have a new excuse to claim it's doing badly!

Asia dont buy expanions :P
    They download it
    They buy a timecard
    pay 1 cent per hour
    and are counted as subscriptions

Thats why you still see 9.1 million subs
    While in reality its just not even close
    Even if they log in once 1 month they are counted as a fully payed subscription.

When i was still playing WoW 7 months ago in Europe on Bladefist server we had 30 people in Stormwind...
    Many servers are death and deserted and many people moved to Stormscale / Outland / Ravencrest / Silvana etc etc

Blizzard refused to assist death realms....
    Many people refuse to pay 20/25 euro per character...
    I have 10 characters and all profesions on max, so when i server change i need them all.
    thats 10x20 euro - 200 euro for me alone then i have my wife with all profs on max.
    that would be 400 euro...
    Retarded prices if you ask me, no discount for old players from 2004
    No discount for transfering multiple chars
    No nothing

Just pure greed

Any company needs money i know that, but the way blizzard earn their money is showing no love for loyal players or any helping hand to deserted realms.

Cross realm zone;s is the worste thing ever for low populated zone's, people now need to share their low populated zone's with bots from high populated realms and Horde gankers who outnumber Alliance on 80% of all servers.

They are choking on their own decisions and are paying a high price for it.

Many reasons to not buy MoP makes it alot easier for people who where in doubt to buy MoP.
    They dont give those players a reason to play anymore.

Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by Mothanos Thing is many more people would have bought MoP if they dint go to an 8 year old style. I still hear people in my guild saying it a joke and panda's aint comming they are fooling us again like in April !! :) Now they are at a point of no return, they choose that turn without listening to their playerbase. Arrogance is bliss. Without panda's it would have sold more.. Without panda's they could have let me return, and my guildies.. Without panda's they dint split up their playerbase in half of who like and dislike panda's. Without panda's it woulnt have gotten the name kiddy pokemon and pandalands. Over time MoP might sell a little better, but many people turned away from WoW when they announced Mist of Pandaria. Dont get me wrong, my wife LOVES it :) !!! But i cannot buy MoP and hear that awfull sound of kung fu panda's Or spend another 300 euro to move to Outland with 6 hours queue where most of the EU playerbase moved to from their ghostown's If this expansion fails, they cannot blame it on age, they may blame their Ghostcrawler who said we need panda's ingame.
    For me anyone who does not buy MOP cus of panda's are missing out, the leveling experience (just dinged 87) is the best it has ever been, sure it's more on rails than it's ever been but so far it's been a joy to level, cannot speak for end game or this dailey grind I have been hearing about but I feel if millions did not come back for MOP cus of pandas then they've missed out.  You do have to get Blizz humor to appreciate it but it's hella fun for sure. 10/10 for the leveling experience.  This expac might go down as the best expac you've never played.

Ive leveld since 2004 brother :)
    And i realy disliked panda;s the moment they announced it ;)

You remember the forums and the playerbase who splitted in half ?
    Seemed 50% like it and 50% hated it.

My guild who had a healty 300 man size where losing members from 2011 Q1 to 2011 Q3, last time i loged in we had 8 people online...

The sounds of panda's and their animations are not my style at all, without panda's i would have bought it 1000%
    Blizzard made that decision of not buying their product realy easy.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    It depends on taste doesn't it. Many left wow because of the on- rails approach and the self deprivation in the form of humour- a bit like bad films that fall back on spoofs as a last resort. Focus on mini pet. Battles is bizzare as a first class game play element for some- il play an avatar playing an avatar?? Again panda and humour, won't appeal to all. On top of that get past your paltry 5 level levelling experience and you are back to the same old game.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Asia dont buy expanions :P
    They download it
    They buy a timecard
    pay 1 cent per hour
    and are counted as subscriptions

Thats why you still see 9.1 million subs
    While in reality its just not even close
    Even if they log in once 1 month they are counted as a fully payed subscription.

When i was still playing WoW 7 months ago in Europe on Bladefist server we had 30 people in Stormwind...
    Many servers are death and deserted and many people moved to Stormscale / Outland / Ravencrest / Silvana etc etc

Blizzard refused to assist death realms....
    Many people refuse to pay 20/25 euro per character...
    I have 10 characters and all profesions on max, so when i server change i need them all.
    thats 10x20 euro - 200 euro for me alone then i have my wife with all profs on max.
    No discount for transfering multiple chars
    No nothing

Just pure greed

Any company needs money i know that, but the way blizzard earn their money is showing no love for loyal players or any helping hand to deserted realms.

Cross realm zone;s is the worste thing ever for low populated zone's, people now need to share their low populated zone's with bots from high populated realms and Horde gankers who outnumber Alliance on 80% of all servers.

They are choking on their own decisions and are paying a high price for it.

Many reasons to not buy MoP makes it alot easier for people who where in doubt to buy MoP.
    They dont give those players a reason to play anymore.

Lies... It is 9 cent an hour.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Mothanos Thing is many more people would have bought MoP if they dint go to an 8 year old style. I still hear people in my guild saying it a joke and panda's aint comming they are fooling us again like in April !! :) Now they are at a point of no return, they choose that turn without listening to their playerbase. Arrogance is bliss. Without panda's it would have sold more.. Without panda's they could have let me return, and my guildies.. Without panda's they dint split up their playerbase in half of who like and dislike panda's. Without panda's it woulnt have gotten the name kiddy pokemon and pandalands. Over time MoP might sell a little better, but many people turned away from WoW when they announced Mist of Pandaria. Dont get me wrong, my wife LOVES it :) !!! But i cannot buy MoP and hear that awfull sound of kung fu panda's Or spend another 300 euro to move to Outland with 6 hours queue where most of the EU playerbase moved to from their ghostown's If this expansion fails, they cannot blame it on age, they may blame their Ghostcrawler who said we need panda's ingame.

My guild who had a healty 300 man size where losing members from 2011 Q1 to 2011 Q3, last time i loged in we had 8 people online...

The sounds of panda's and their animations are not my style at all, without panda's i would have bought it 1000%

Well you cannot please all of the people all of the time, most dejectors of the pandas were simply jumping on the band wagon as it was the cool thing to do, acting like they were too mature for panda's yet showing the exact opposite in there actions and posts.

My guild (stormscale) did the opposite, I stopped playing wow in January when I was done with the content and came back for MOP by Guild that struggled to run two 10 man raids in Cata now have a dedicated 25m group a dedicated 10man and 10man B team.

If blizzard at some point in the future allow you to try out MOP for free then please swallow your bitterness and give it a try... it might just surprise you.

Ive been against Panda's the moment Cris Metzen announced it.
    No amount of contend can make me come back, not even free transfers.

Seems many people are sharing my point of vieuwm its not about pleasing evry1.
    I wasnt happy in TBC with squidfaces either, or Bloddelf comming to our Horde.
    But it wasnt on a scale what they did with Panda's.

Panda's and the way they move / make sounds / fight is way to childish.
    And there are so many rolled panda's that you cannot enter a dungeon or battleground or raid without seeing many of them.

It totaly ruined my WoW expirience when playing.
    it was the end of the line for many players.

If MoP sells not well i realy hope some heads are gone roll.
    These people who made millions of people quit need to be kicked out of the door before they ruin the game even more.

1st on the list is Ghostcrawler, he need to go asap.

WoTLK jeff kaplan in the lead 12.7 million players
    Cataclysm Ghostcrawler in the lead 9.1 million players
    I dont even wanne gues what is left now...maybe down to 8 million this year.

And lets not talk about EU for the sake of it, as international servers in EU are80% ghost towns.

WoW made a few very bad turns, no matter how we look at it.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Basically, you are complaining because you are addicted to the game.  Take a break from WoW.  Take a break from all MMOs. Play like a normal person when you come back and make only one character.  It isn't Blizzard's fault that you feel the need to move ten characters around to different servers so often.

Also, your complaints don't seem to be relevant to the original discussion topic of this thread.

I hope that this thread has been debunked as useless information.  The cited news article does not account for digital sales, which makes the numbers completely worthless.  I'm no fan of WoW, but I was genuinely curious if this expansion had failed already.  It looks like we have to wait for more solid numbers from Blizzard.

How can someone hate pandas is beyond me. The animals, I mean.

Also in context of WoW;  I just don't get it. Maybe teenagers who are afraid to be linked to a game with presumed "childish" content - yet they were fine with gnomes, elves, cow people, men in drag, etc...

I honestly can't understand that. After years & years of WoW, these people are shocked to see a bear race? Really?

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Well you cannot please all of the people all of the time, most dejectors of the pandas were simply jumping on the band wagon as it was the cool thing to do, acting like they were too mature for panda's yet showing the exact opposite in there actions and posts.

My guild (stormscale) did the opposite, I stopped playing wow in January when I was done with the content and came back for MOP by Guild that struggled to run two 10 man raids in Cata now have a dedicated 25m group a dedicated 10man and 10man B team.

If blizzard at some point in the future allow you to try out MOP for free then please swallow your bitterness and give it a try... it might just surprise you.

He's not being bitter at all , he is stating his opinion of what he thinks of MOP, and he's not the only one considering that afew older games have seen a spike in population recently, when asked which game they came from, about 80% of them told me WoW because of how the content was made in the first place.

Not everyone wants a easy experience in leveling , hell anyone could level to cap in WoW , and I think it's funny seeing the age rating being at 12+ just made me LOL pretty hard, my opinion is the reason why the game isn't selling well is they are catering to little kids now and to be honest , raiding in WoW is actualy very very easy compared to other games, maybe more and more people want a challenge and not given everything to them on a silver platter!

Iam not bitter :) !!!
    Iam disaponted in Blizzard for many reasons ;)

But who woulnt be ?

I came from EQ to WoW in 2004 made it to rank 13 and never stopped playing, maybe a few breaks here and there.

What bothers me is the greed blizzard is showing.

No free transfers out of death servers
    No tittle or mount or pet for veteran players
    No discount for people sticking with their game for almost a decade.

And now MoP...

People warned Blizzard the moment they where discussing panda's in real ife i thin kthey are cute man i realy do :)
    But putting themn ingame is a totaly diffrent story !!!
    Its hard to stop laughing with 20 of these kung fu style bears around you making funny sounds -_-

It ruins any sense of adult playingstyle.
    And thats my major bottleneck there, my expirience is not fun with these sounds around me :)

And yes maybe i was a addict ? but who aint these days with all these epic games ? :)

Quited WoW in May or Aprill and never looked back.

So did many of my friends and on Vent we still see a few officers but thats it, our 300 member guild is death and burried within 6 months time.

Originally posted by syntax42

Basically, you are complaining because you are addicted to the game.  Take a break from WoW.  Take a break from all MMOs. Play like a normal person when you come back and make only one character.  It isn't Blizzard's fault that you feel the need to move ten characters around to different servers so often.

Also, your complaints don't seem to be relevant to the original discussion topic of this thread.

I hope that this thread has been debunked as useless information.  The cited news article does not account for digital sales, which makes the numbers completely worthless.  I'm no fan of WoW, but I was genuinely curious if this expansion had failed already.  It looks like we have to wait for more solid numbers from Blizzard.

Considering he is upset with the way Blizzard treats their customers I agree with him, and then you attack him because he plays to much? What are you spying on him or something? It took a friend of mine in cata to reach cap on 4 toons a month, just a easy ass mmorpg thats becoming a joke because we have these fanbois who are so intoxicated in this game that they think blizzard is the best! HA , a company that has 8 million players and they have a cash shop, charge you for transfers , even though games like Rift make it free, charging people for stupid things and charging a $15.00 fee per month.

Maybe you need to take a break from WoW , and maybe all the other mmos. I just find it funny that people will complain about companies like EA Games , SOE , NC Soft and afew others because they charge a monthly fee ( Or used too ) and leave Blizzard out of the fray, considering that Blizzard is the one that milks their customer base the worst.

Hows that for off topic?

Its hard to stop laughing with 20 of these kung fu style bears around you making funny sounds -_-

Quited WoW in May or Aprill and never looked back.

Wait... are you playing or not?  You are laughing at pandas around you in the game, but you claim to have quit.  If you have a subscription, you obviously never quit.

If the game ruins your sense of adult playing style, then it is time to move on.  The game isn't for you.  Stop complaining about it on a thread that was created for discussing the sales numbers of the expansion.

My wife had a beta invite for MoP, i quited in aprill / may or something and waited for GW2 and played Rift / TSW / WoT to pass the time.

No i dint bought MoP not played it on live.

There are many leveling guides you can buy for a few euro's it takes 2 weeks to level to max on a easy pace.
    Proffesions at max are easy to do also, within 2 days you can max 1 profession out, take into account me and my wife played WoW since launch thats 8 years back ;)

Also leveling in WoW is made so easy compared to farming out remaining exp in Vanilla.
    You had to grind every level as you where running out of quest real fast in each qquest hub, take into account you dint get exp in pvp back then also ;)
    AV weekend brings you from 70 to 85 in less then half a day if your lucky with wins.

Leveling with BoA's made sure you can level like a rocket these days and most my chars i made way back in time and only needed a few levels with each expansion.

It aint Aion we are talking about ;)

Originally posted by Aeolron

It took a friend of mine in cata to reach cap on 4 toons a month, just a easy ass mmorpg thats becoming a joke because we have these fanbois who are so intoxicated in this game that they think blizzard is the best! 

If it is that easy to level, then Mothanos has no reason to complain.  Instead of paying for transfers, making new characters must be the way to go.

I don't play WoW, so I wouldn't know.  I was genuinely interested in the original topic of this thread, but I see it isn't going to be discussed further.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Good

Blizzard wanted to focus on the Asian market, so they get what they deserve.

Westeners do not like cuddly or cute characters in their games, that is a fact.

If instead of Pandas we had Nagas, maybe I would have bought MOP, even though I am pretty happy with GW2 so far.

Ah yes i could do that, but dont you get attached to your characters ? your Avatars ?
    If you create a characters and play hours and invests hours in that you get attached to it, not to mention the memory's with some characters :)

Any mmo player knows and feels this right :) ?

Originally posted by Aeolron

It took a friend of mine in cata to reach cap on 4 toons a month, just a easy ass mmorpg thats becoming a joke because we have these fanbois who are so intoxicated in this game that they think blizzard is the best! 

If it is that easy to level, then Mothanos has no reason to complain.  Instead of paying for transfers, making new characters must be the way to go.

I don't play WoW, so I wouldn't know.  I was genuinely interested in the original topic of this thread, but I see it isn't going to be discussed further.

Even if it's on digital sales or retail outlets , lets be honest here, in the past even when Cata was out, you were hard pressed to find a copy ANYHERE you went , basicly had to wait a week! Now since MOP was released, I have walked into afew places big box stores , and what do I see? Tons and Tons of copies of MOP including a boat load of CE, back when that was unheard of, and if you can't see that as a issue then I don't know what will.

disregarding digital sales at the moment , because we have no numbers or facts or that so all we can do is speculate, but taking from what these retailers say and what their stocks produce I would say yes , the game Is'nt selling well at all.

Also , it's alittle harder to level up in Rift then in WoW I know because I played both games from both betas onward , and I also played games with extreme leveling difficulty , Example , EverQuest, and to Mathonas , he's right , that is stupid exspensive to pay for a transfer of 10 characters and honestly is a highway robbery. Don't mind these guys too much , you just hit the nail on the head!

Originally posted by Mothanoss around you making funny sounds -_-

And thats my major bottleneck there, my expirience is not fun with these sounds around me :)

The gnomes, the blood elves, the dancing cat forms/ghost wolves/bears, etc. didn't tip you off as to what to expect from WoW? That didn't bother you?

Rhetorical.

Of course it did, I remember teenages crying about how ridicoulous and childish gnome warriors are, how stupid and immature "furries" are (tauren, worgen), etc.