Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My top 10 gripes about GW2

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Since I apparently I can't say a single bad thing about GW2 figured I post my top 10 gripes I have with the game in no particular order..

1. Zoom - for whatever reason the camera uses a step zoom which doesn't allow you to place the camera where you want.. you basically have steps and it can only be placed in these steps which can get very annoying especially in tight spaces or when taking screenshots.

2. Story inconsistancy- I have played numerous stories upto level 20ish and I found some are really engrossing intersting and fun.. others are dull and boring.. there's a good mixture but needs a bit more consistancy.

3. Build Manager- Game NEEDS some sort of build manager so you can set multiple trait builds and select between them whenever you want outside combat

4. sPVP Tournaments- I know it's coming but the full fledged tournaments really need ot get in quick

5. Hearts- i don't really mind doing them but feel the game overall would of been a lot better how it was orginially designed with only DE's and no hearts at all

6. Same Server Dungeon Finder- Although it hasnt' been much of an issue since you don't ever need a certain class I still feel a dungeon finder would be a welcome addition to the game.

7. WvW Tutorial- Noticed many people jump in to WvW have no clue what is going on.. yes you got the npc that talks about the zones but think it could really benefit from a more robust tutorial on how everything works

8. DE Variety- I enjoy the DE system but it could benefit from a bit more variety accross the board and hopefully something planned for the near future.

9. Weapon Skills- I don't really mind having them all unlocked so early but would like some sort of system similar to the utility skill system which would allow you to mix and match from a bigger pool of skills.. Loved picking from the huge pool of skills in GW1.. 

10. Crafting Variety- System overall is fine but would like if there was more variety in how you crafted between the professions.. basically cooking is the only odd ball and the rest play out the exact same...

again i could go on for another 50 but those are my top 10 right now.. still game is amazing and having a blast even after almost 200 hours since lauch... back to Tyria:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Since I apparently I can't say a single bad thing about GW2 figured I post my top 10 gripes I have with the game in no particular order..

1. Zoom - for whatever reason the camera uses a step zoom which doesn't allow you to place the camera where you want.. you basically have steps and it can only be placed in these steps which can get very annoying especially in tight spaces or when taking screenshots.

2. Story inconsistancy- I have played numerous stories upto level 20ish and I found some are really engrossing intersting and fun.. others are dull and boring.. there's a good mixture but needs a bit more consistancy.

3. Build Manager- Game NEEDS some sort of build manager so you can set multiple trait builds and select between them whenever you want outside combat

4. sPVP Tournaments- I know it's coming but the full fledged tournaments really need ot get in quick

5. Hearts- i don't really mind doing them but feel the game overall would of been a lot better how it was orginially designed with only DE's and no hearts at all

6. Same Server Dungeon Finder- Although it hasnt' been much of an issue since you don't ever need a certain class I still feel a dungeon finder would be a welcome addition to the game.

7. WvW Tutorial- Noticed many people jump in to WvW have no clue what is going on.. yes you got the npc that talks about the zones but think it could really benefit from a more robust tutorial on how everything works

8. DE Variety- I enjoy the DE system but it could benefit from a bit more variety accross the board and hopefully something planned for the near future.

9. Weapon Skills- I don't really mind having them all unlocked so early but would like some sort of system similar to the utility skill system which would allow you to mix and match from a bigger pool of skills.. Loved picking from the huge pool of skills in GW1.. 

10. Crafting Variety- System overall is fine but would like if there was more variety in how you crafted between the professions.. basically cooking is the only odd ball and the rest play out the exact same...

again i could go on for another 50 but those are my top 10 right now.. still game is amazing and having a blast even after almost 200 hours since lauch... back to Tyria:)

1) Zoom

2) Fast travel cost-sink

3) Zoom 

4) Only 1 style of match in sPVP

5) Zoom

6) Broken DE's. The number seems to increase with level. I know they're working on it, but...

7) Zoom

8) Build Manager. I REALLY liked the system from GW1 and hope they implement something similar

9) Zoom

10) Underwater combat. I'm so VERY tired of endless barracuda swarms

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861

as a gw 2 fanboy, here are my 10 gripes as well:

1) arenanet not being as communicative as they used to be

2) bots/scammers/hacks not being taken care of fast enough

3) needs guild based activities 

4) needs more DE variety and increase the total amount of DE's

5) needs more interesting cosmetic items in the cash shop (like alternate versions of skills or something)

6) no cutscenes

7) dungeon rewards bugs/exploits

8) crappy gold scaling for playing in lower lvl areas

9) need more npcs with interesting things to say or stories to tell.

10) flesh out sPvP more  

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I zoom out just fine.

It's fine... you expect too much out of a MMO.

NO

Have some patience!

NO, Hearts help people not feel lost. People leave if they're lost.

NO!! 

I actually agree with this one...

NO

NO! I like that GW2 is different than GW1... I can play both games and have a unique experience.  Go play GW1

Crafting is fine... 

With 200 hours played the game is fine... stop making lists. I played SWTOR for 3 hours and uninstalled... that game deserves a list.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Z3R01

With 200 hours played the game is fine... stop making lists. I played SWTOR for 3 hours and uninstalled... that game deserves a list.

would of preferred you gave some reasons and not just NO... and swtor needs more than just lists.. i could write a book about how many issues I had with that one:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

My list is short but game changing and labor intensive:

1. Ditch quick travel

2. Add mounts

3. Use a bind system

4. Create fly paths for long distance travels, I see it as a plane ride just staring out the window in awe.

5. Join the zones together in one seamless world

6. Remove the points of interest markers leave the points of interesnt in place

7. Remove the hearts leave the events in place

8. Remove the skill markers leave the skill challenges in place

9. Remove the vista markers leave the vistas in place

You then have the most beautifully renders seamless world ever made (to date).  Arenanet shortchagned themselfs and its customers allowing people to blink all over the world and creating connect the dots puzzles using the zone map basically eliminating any sense of exploaration or discovery.

Originally posted by snapfusion

1. Ditch quick travel

2. Add mounts

3. Use a bind system

4. Create fly paths for long distance travels, I see it as a plane ride just staring out the window in awe.

8. Remove the vista markers leave the vistas in place

You then have the most beautifully renders seamless world ever made (to date).  Arenanet shortchagned themselfs and its customers allowing people to blink all over the world and creating connect the dots puzzles using the zone map basically eliminating any sense of exploaration or discovery.

you know you can turn off all the world completion things like vistas, hearts, POIs, SPs from the map right? I play like that now and find it MUCH more enjoyable.

1. Ditch quick travel

2. Add mounts

3. Use a bind system

8. Remove the vista markers leave the vistas in place

you know you can turn off all the world completion things like vistas, hearts, POIs, SPs from the map right? I play like that now and find it MUCH more enjoyable.

Its not the same.  I could also walk to work get more exercise and experience all kinds of intersting and unexpected things along the way, but thats now how humans work.  If you give someone the path of least resistance they will take it everytime even me.  Thats why I said Arenanet shortchanged themselfs and their customers by giving everyone the option to take the easy road.  Its as if they didnt even have faith in their own product to carry itself without all the convience items of todays ADD gamers.

Its not the same.  I could also walk to work get more exercise and experience all kinds of intersting and unexpected things along the way, but thats now how humans work.  If you give someone the path of least resistance they will take it everytime even me.  Thats why I said Arenanet shortchanged themselfs and their customers by giving everyone the option to take the easy road.  Its as if they didnt even have faith in their own product to carry itself without all the convience items of todays ADD gamers.

so basically every single game that has easy, normal, and hard mode you always only play on easy?

so basically every single game that has easy, normal, and hard mode you always only play on easy?

No in single player games I always play hard mode,  in MMO's everyone takes the easy mode and the path of least resistance, as soon as things get competive the rules change.

• buckleypermbuckleyperm Member Posts: 13

1. Zoom -  agreed

2. Story inconsistancy- only level 13-14 so ill wait and see

3. Build Manager- don't know about NEEDS. but if it had it i'd make use of it

5. Hearts- disagreed i i like this one. i think thereshould be a bit more depth to it though

6. Same Server Dungeon Finder- personelly not there yet but i agree

8. DE Variety- agreed

9. Weapon Skills-agreed

10. Crafting Variety- disagreed but i really haven't crafted much yet 

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I'll throw mine out there as well... GW2 Fanboi btw oO.

1) Build Manager - It's a pain to have to run back to a skill trainer, reset my traits for what I want to do in a specific dungeon and run back constantly. I prefer to optimize my setup for the task at hand, having a build manager with so many different ways to play each profession is a must.

2) Que's for WvW - Way to much time spent queing. By the time I get in I have usually lost interest in WvW.

3) Town Clothes - Two few options. It really would be nice to have a larger variety of outfits like the Pirate and Cook. It's neat to get the extra abillities to play with. Some times it's nice to just good around.

4) Armor/Weapons that act the way the Stores town clothes work - You have one of the most amazing mechanics out there in this game. If you pick up a flaming GS summoned by an elementalist it changes your weapon skills to a unique set you can't get any other way, why are there not more things like this. Items that are permanent that offer unique skills and such. Every sword is the same as every other, why wasn't there a difference in them. Change things up and make the variety of weapons in the game mean something.

5) Dungeon Finder - At this point it seems like one could really help.

6) Dyes character bound - I really wish my dyes were account wide instead of having seperate sets for all my characters. What this means is that I will unlock them all on one character and then say F'it for the rest.

7) Not enough activities like Keg Brawl - I don't really need to expand on this it is pretty self explanatory. There aren't enough activities like this in game.

8) To few stat variety on dungeon armors - It would be better to have the skin then allow the player to choose from multuple stat configurations.

Thats all I have atm, my shows on so I'm out.

No in single player games I always play hard mode,  in MMO's everyone takes the easy mode and the path of least resistance, as soon as things get competive the rules change.

competetive for what? getting 100% map completion? skills little faster? level little faster? doesn't take long to get 80 for most people anyway.. for me I do what is more enjoyable.. when I have those markers on my map it turns into i must get to this SP or this Vista instead of just wandering around and exploring the zones.. with them off the leveling and questing aspects of this game are so much more enjoyable imho.

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

I'm glad you're here to speak for EVERYONE. Has it not occurred to you that perhaps you are just lazy and not everyone is? That you lack the self-control to challenge yourself in some way, and that not everyone does?

You have the option to play the game the way you want, and you are complaining, essentially, that it's just too hard to checkmark those boxes....

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Aerowyn Since I apparently I can't say a single bad thing about GW2 figured I post my top 10 gripes I have with the game in no particular order..   1. Zoom - for whatever reason the camera uses a step zoom which doesn't allow you to place the camera where you want.. you basically have steps and it can only be placed in these steps which can get very annoying especially in tight spaces or when taking screenshots. I zoom out just fine. 2. Story inconsistancy- I have played numerous stories upto level 20ish and I found some are really engrossing intersting and fun.. others are dull and boring.. there's a good mixture but needs a bit more consistancy. It's fine... you expect too much out of a MMO. 3. Build Manager- Game NEEDS some sort of build manager so you can set multiple trait builds and select between them whenever you want outside combat NO 4. sPVP Tournaments- I know it's coming but the full fledged tournaments really need ot get in quick Have some patience! 5. Hearts- i don't really mind doing them but feel the game overall would of been a lot better how it was orginially designed with only DE's and no hearts at all NO, Hearts help people not feel lost. People leave if they're lost. 6. Same Server Dungeon Finder- Although it hasnt' been much of an issue since you don't ever need a certain class I still feel a dungeon finder would be a welcome addition to the game. NO!!  7. WvW Tutorial- Noticed many people jump in to WvW have no clue what is going on.. yes you got the npc that talks about the zones but think it could really benefit from a more robust tutorial on how everything works I actually agree with this one... 8. DE Variety- I enjoy the DE system but it could benefit from a bit more variety accross the board and hopefully something planned for the near future. NO 9. Weapon Skills- I don't really mind having them all unlocked so early but would like some sort of system similar to the utility skill system which would allow you to mix and match from a bigger pool of skills.. Loved picking from the huge pool of skills in GW1..  NO! I like that GW2 is different than GW1... I can play both games and have a unique experience.  Go play GW1 10. Crafting Variety- System overall is fine but would like if there was more variety in how you crafted between the professions.. basically cooking is the only odd ball and the rest play out the exact same... Crafting is fine...    again i could go on for another 50 but those are my top 10 right now.. still game is amazing and having a blast even after almost 200 hours since lauch... back to Tyria:) With 200 hours played the game is fine... stop making lists. I played SWTOR for 3 hours and uninstalled... that game deserves a list.

Aerowyn gave legit reasons why there are aspects of the game that bother her. While I realize she is a big fan of the game, and this post is in response to someone else's, I still believe her to have put a lot thought into this post. I don't understand why people always feel the need to come forth and knock someone for expressing what they think are legitimate opinions based on proper info and/or personal experience. You basically come along and say her opinions are invalid. You might not find the same issues in the game, but that doesn't make her's wrong or invalidate her right to express them.

In as much as you can tell her to stop making lists, I can say stop telling people what they can and can't post.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Thing is mmo is not a single player game.  Even if you personally will have it turned off - it only work for you personally if you play this game like single player game.  If you consider this game as an mmrpg then it does not really matter if you turn it on or off since games still has it, almost everyone has it and they act and do things according to markers and helpers.
     So you're still in an enviroment where those things are turned on and that's what matters - in mmorpg your interaction your interdependability and connection matters.  

On the other hand modern mmorpg's GW 2 included does not work that way anymore - players are like independent atoms that are just next to each other, - and that's why some people call some newest mmorpg a single player games  - so maybe it does not matter.

• KhondorKhondor Member UncommonPosts: 51

I zoom out just fine.

NO

Have some patience!

NO!! 

NO

NO! I like that GW2 is different than GW1... I can play both games and have a unique experience.  Go play GW1

Crafting is fine... 

Very unproductive reply and oh... "Lighten up Francis."

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by 0over0

I'm glad you're here to speak for EVERYONE. Has it not occurred to you that perhaps you are just lazy and not everyone is? That you lack the self-control to challenge yourself in some way, and that not everyone does?

You have the option to play the game the way you want, and you are complaining, essentially, that it's just too hard to checkmark those boxes....

the fact they even have it in game is crazy.  why bother.  offer the same challenge to everyone.  But, just like steven spielberg (with his movies)  ANET tried too hard to cater to the younger, more casual (not in playtime, but how played),  less experienced and/or non-mmorpg crowd.  It's not just ANET though, it's the entire Themepark MMO industry (aside from Funcom...that's why they have a bad reputation IMHO).

It's why horror movies are now all rated PG-13, it's why spielberg movies that were created from books are like Hello Kitty-ized.  It's the reason pop music is tops on the charts....because people like things nice, pretty and dumbed down.  To have to think is a travesty.  BTW, twitch movement does not equate to thought-provoking....twitch is the absense of thought replaced by instinct.

Sorry for the rant...just sick of these "candy land" MMO's coming out lately....it's a sad sign for the genre where the days of EQ1 for sword and elf lovers and AO for sci-fi lovers offered a real challenge and required pre-game strategy (thought).....nowadays, it's click this, that and then this again and you'll win everytime....or twitch alot and circle strafe and you win....preperation is for the birds....

Don't get me started on the actual worlds and the exploration involved....non-exhistent now....GW2 tried but couldn't keep it's hands out of the cookie jar and ended up marking anything significant (cept for those uber hidden caves...I wont go there though) on the map so that the exploration was destroyed.

Sad state for MMO's...switched to Darkfall and will look into Repopulation if it ever comes out...the only two games with any real promise.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262

I zoom out just fine.

NO

Have some patience!

NO!! 

NO

Crafting is fine... 

When you act like this an live in a world where no one can dare look at something objectively because the game you're playing must have zero faults in your perception, it makes it so developers stagnate.

NOTHING is perfect, it can always be improved.  Lists like this provide pro-active feed back to developers (granted they're not going to see it here necessarily) and allow for the product to continually improve.  Don't stick your head in the sand with the fanboyism and be blinded by of fact that everything is flawed, it allows for further improvement.

Originally posted by Randayn

the fact they even have it in game is crazy.  why bother.  offer the same challenge to everyone.  But, just like steven spielberg (with his movies)  ANET tried too hard to cater to the younger, more casual (not in playtime, but how played),  less experienced and/or non-mmorpg crowd.  It's not just ANET though, it's the entire Themepark MMO industry (aside from Funcom...that's why they have a bad reputation IMHO).

It's why horror movies are now all rated PG-13, it's why spielberg movies that were created from books are like Hello Kitty-ized.  It's the reason pop music is tops on the charts....because people like things nice, pretty and dumbed down.  To have to think is a travesty.  BTW, twitch movement does not equate to thought-provoking....twitch is the absense of thought replaced by instinct.

Sorry for the rant...just sick of these "candy land" MMO's coming out lately....it's a sad sign for the genre where the days of EQ1 for sword and elf lovers and AO for sci-fi lovers offered a real challenge and required pre-game strategy (thought).....nowadays, it's click this, that and then this again and you'll win everytime....or twitch alot and circle strafe and you win....preperation is for the birds....

Don't get me started on the actual worlds and the exploration involved....non-exhistent now....GW2 tried but couldn't keep it's hands out of the cookie jar and ended up marking anything significant (cept for those uber hidden caves...I wont go there though) on the map so that the exploration was destroyed.

Sad state for MMO's...switched to Darkfall and will look into Repopulation if it ever comes out...the only two games with any real promise.

GW2 offers more exploration and interesting things to find than any other themepark I can think of in a very long time... also in red is sort of an ironic statement from someone who wants a non-FFA server in DF..

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

GOD PLEASE YES, already put a ticket in requesting it.

Either give us a dungeon finder, or STOP SUPPRESSING MY CHAT WHEN IM ASKING FOR GROUPS LOL

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

competetive for what? getting 100% map completion? skills little faster? level little faster? doesn't take long to get 80 for most people anyway.. for me I do what is more enjoyable.. when I have those markers on my map it turns into i must get to this SP or this Vista instead of just wandering around and exploring the zones.. with them off the leveling and questing aspects of this game are so much more enjoyable imho.

I guess you dont do much WvW.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

GW2 offers more exploration and interesting things to find than any other themepark I can think of in a very long time... also in red is sort of an ironic statement from someone who wants a non-FFA server in DF..

lol...I actually didn't mean I want it to be hardcore PVP'd....im not a PVP'er...I'm playing Darkfall out of desperation, but I do like the game...haven't been ganked yet, but also don't look foward to having it done...but ah well...btw, I actually had someone email me explaining why there is FFA Lootz and it made sense..got in game and it made even more sense.  I have since changed my stance on that.

I want to return to the days (and i mean no offense by this)....to the days where MMO's were made for computer nerds...not FPS players and mainstream gamers...It appears devs are making games to cater to these 2 crowds and have forgotten all about their base...

Instead, it's become a lot of "candy land" games where combat animations mean more than combat preparations...where just like my green piece would pick up a new card to move 2 spaces, the path to endgame is direct and straight ahead.

I am an exploration nut....there is nothing more I like about a game than it's ability to allow me to explore...I use to lose myself flying my yalm through each zone (even if it was too high level for me) just exploring...and AO catered to it quite well.  Darkfall has a GIGANTIC world that I have just started to explore...can't wait to get further.  GW2....not an explorer's wet dream...even if there is one or two locales out there that are explore worthy, the way the zones are setup and the way the game plays out detracts me from ever even bothering to explore...and after have spent at least 20-25 hours exploring 6 or so zones in GW2, I was re-assured that exploring it is a waste of time.

Again, I've tried to play it...tried to like it...but one word defines my feelings for it everytime I play....GENERIC...it's a generic generic game with boring everything.  Ive explained it in detail before, so Im not going to here...plus Im probably being a pain with my post inside your post...Im sorry to get off topic...the one dude's comment rubbed me wrong.  You can blow up my posts anytime Aerowyn....really sorry to blow yours up!

I guess you dont do much WvW.

even if you turned all the completion points off getting to 80 wouldnt take that long if you stuck to a single character.. WvW isn't going anywhere and if you really want to enjoy this aspect of the game I think it's played best turning them off.. now if all you want to do is level fast to play WvW then yes obviously leave them on and rush to 80.. it's all about how you want to play.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

1)Camera sucks.  Move the camera "up" or vertical so the close views actually work and i can play something other than asura. I need to see over there heads..not there asses. Not everyone zooms out to 10k. You can move it side to side, why not vertically?

2) neeed at least 1 more paperdoll or make the clothing one a second armor doll as option.                                                                      

3) build manager for traits as others have said.

4) No utility for utility skills: do utility skills the exact same as weapons. Be able to switch to the alternate bar with a timer.

5) No finishers on 1handers (guardian). Put a finisher on a few of the 1hand weapons. Guardian only has the focus to work with for a finisher in 1handers. 2hander has three finishers...

6) WVW should be 3 month matches once the populations get ironed out. 2 weeks is way to short.

7) 100% magic find does not give you 100% magic find. Label it for what it is or let players know what the cap is.

8) if i have a sheild equipped i should be able to actively block with it using my endurance same as dodging but only 75% damage reduction.

thats all i have. its a great game and i expect it will only get better if people give it a chance. Is it my perfect sandbox? no..Is it the best offering out currently? I think so.

You can blow up my posts anytime Aerowyn....really sorry to blow yours up!

no biggie I try not to hold grudges your opinion is fine as that's how you feel.. i only get heated when people try to pass off complete lies as facts and such.. saying you hate the game or can't find enjoyment in the exploration aspects is obviously just your point of view on the game that I do not share:)