Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Torchlight 2: Kudos on a Job Well Done

Comments

• romanator0romanator0 Member Posts: 2,382
    Originally posted by Z3R01
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Come on, it is a fun game for the first week or so then it just becomes boring.  Yeah it is probably better than DIII, but then what isn't?  So giving the game a 10 for longevity is laughable, more like a 5 at best.  There is really nothing to keep you playing the game continuously.  Diablo II was a better game than this.  Why is it no one can even come close to what that game achieved, it is not rocket science?

When you give games that are just good a high score like this, you make your rating scale a joke.  Next time be at least a little bit critical. 

Amen. I wonder if the rating is placing it up against other games of this genre only. As a a middle of the road mmo would more depth than this type of game could ever have. I hate cartoon graphics but the art style wouldn't keep me from playing this game as much as the dreadfully shallow type of game it is.

What the hell? You compare depth in two completely different genres? 

Yo dude you are sooo right Skyrim is so much deeper than Kirby...

*Rolls eyes*

To be completely honest, some of the Kirby games do have some depth and Skyrim is actually quite shallow mechanics wise.

But I agree about the whole TL2 vs MMO thing. Bit of a stupid comparison to be blunt, TL2 should be compared to games that are at least in the same genre.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

I'd score it higher on gameplay but much lower on longevity.  Open servers, lack of a chat room, inability to chat with players already in a game, hacked characters, community that goes bananas over people respeccing make the longevity score about a 5 or 6 for me.

The value on this game is pretty good but the limited longevity hurts it.

I'd give this game a 6.5/10,  D3 is currently a 7.5/10 and D2 was a 9.75/10.

Originally posted by Asamof

Using a respec in this game will secretly label you as a 'cheater' online, sharing the same exact title with people who hack character lvls and items. Then you get persecuted by the online community for having this title 

for not wanting to waste your time remaking bad characters

and you will make bad characters, the tooltips are so poorly labeled and the game mechanics can be vague at times. not to mention the many useless skills

It's actually ridiculous how bent out of shape they are now that people have found ways around being flagged for respeccing.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well they COULD artificially give Torchlight 2 more longevity by FORCING players to play casual mode, then normal mode before they can play something fun.

They COULD Increase longevity by basing the entire bloody game around a real money auction house, then having miserly loot drop rates so those not prepared to use said ah have to repeatedly grind sections of the game to progress
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

You have no idea what you are talking about, do you?

- Loot variety.

- New Game Plus.

- Fully randomized game world and dungeons.

- FULLY modable game with mod tools AND integration of steam workshop. 

That's like saying Elder scrolls franchise has no longevity. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Well, except for the fact that the monster draw distance is pathetic (fixed by modders), half the skills are useless, skill tooltips being vague at BEST, the game being plagued with slowdown issues in big fights (not for everyone, but it is a prevalent bug), and the engine not being optimized for multi-core systems in 2012, the game is fine.

Oh, and respeccing a character because you picked a bad skill due to the aforementioned piss-poor tooltips / descriptions labels you as a 'cheater'. Sorry, but having to replay half the game multiple times because of a lack of simple respec functionality is NOT fun. It's an archaic mechanic which belongs in the past. Thankfully, modders have already found a way around it. 

The game is decent don't get me wrong, but it has plenty of issues to sort through. I do have faith in Runic to get things balanced / fixed.

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Rednecksith

Well, except for the fact that the monster draw distance is pathetic (fixed by modders), half the skills are useless, skill tooltips being vague at BEST, the game being plagued with slowdown issues in big fights (not for everyone, but it is a prevalent bug), and the engine not being optimized for multi-core systems in 2012, the game is fine.

Oh, and respeccing a character because you picked a bad skill due to the aforementioned piss-poor tooltips / descriptions labels you as a 'cheater'. Sorry, but having to replay half the game multiple times because of a lack of simple respec functionality is NOT fun. It's an archaic mechanic which belongs in the past. Thankfully, modders have already found a way around it. 

The game is decent don't get me wrong, but it has plenty of issues to sort through. I do have faith in Runic to get things balanced / fixed.

You see if you take the time to test the skills, you will not need to cheat. You wait until you have 3 skill points, after that you put these 3 points in the skill you want to try. If you dont like it you go respec these 3 last points in town and try another skill until you are satisfieed.

For me people who complaint about that sort of things are simply too lazy to read and try the skill or are people who want to be the best without the constraint of taking decison by themselves.

Seriously even if you screw up with 1 or 2 points, that not the end of the world. If you put your points in every skill you see, well dont blame the game mechanics.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Tl2 is just loads of fun.
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Come on, it is a fun game for the first week or so then it just becomes boring.  Yeah it is probably better than DIII, but then what isn't?  So giving the game a 10 for longevity is laughable, more like a 5 at best.  There is really nothing to keep you playing the game continuously.  Diablo II was a better game than this.  Why is it no one can even come close to what that game achieved, it is not rocket science?

When you give games that are just good a high score like this, you make your rating scale a joke.  Next time be at least a little bit critical. 

ummmmm. the game is able to be completely modded. that includes making levels for others to play. not a 10, maybe an 8 or 9 cause not everyone will care about modders

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by Silok

You see if you take the time to test the skills, you will not need to cheat. You wait until you have 3 skill points, after that you put these 3 points in the skill you want to try. If you dont like it you go respec these 3 last points in town and try another skill until you are satisfieed.

Except every skills get additional effect at 5, 10 and 15 points spend. And then after spending 15 in skill A you discover it's not really good compared to skill B with 15 points. Reroll? I'd expect such attitude from more hardcore D3, rather casual TL2. Put option there, for some meaningfull amount of gold and done. No one force you to use it if you enjoy rerolling, just don't force others to do it.

• zaylinzaylin Member UncommonPosts: 794

Originally posted by Asamof

Using a respec in this game will secretly label you as a 'cheater' online, sharing the same exact title with people who hack character lvls and items. Then you get persecuted by the online community for having this title 

for not wanting to waste your time remaking bad characters

and you will make bad characters, the tooltips are so poorly labeled and the game mechanics can be vague at times. not to mention the many useless skills

I thought the same thing til i played around with some of the skills together, you just have to find the synergys and what works best for you,and is most fun.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'd score it higher on gameplay but much lower on longevity.  Open servers, lack of a chat room, inability to chat with players already in a game, hacked characters, community that goes bananas over people respeccing make the longevity score about a 5 or 6 for me.

I'd give this game a 6.5/10,  D3 is currently a 7.5/10 and D2 was a 9.75/10.

This is the kind of post I would expect direct toward Diablo 3, not Torchlight 2.

I will give it to you about all the online problems they have, it really is lacking. You can tell they don't want the hassle of hosting proper servers and chat rooms they would go along with them. But then you say hacked characters and insult the community cause they want people to play the game the way its meant to be played. I for one don't want to play with anyone who can't play the game the right way, which is why I kick and block anyone who has cheated on the game. If the game had proper online mode and closed/open servers this wouldn't be a issue.

As far as longevity goes its like any other hack n slash game. Its all about finding the best loot and becoming the most powerful. Add in this game can be modded and there will be loads of content in a few months. Just cause it doesn't have   any lasting power for YOU, doesn't mean it doesn't have any for others. I do have to laugh a little though that you rate D2 as high as you do. I guarentee if you go back and play it you will rate it around 7-8.

I am having a huge blast in TL2. Loads more fun than D3 and almost surpassing D2. I would give it a rating of 9. It would be higher if they didn't take the lazy way of how they did their online.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

For me people who complaint about that sort of things are simply too lazy to read and try the skill or are people who want to be the best without the constraint of taking decison by themselves.

Seriously even if you screw up with 1 or 2 points, that not the end of the world. If you put your points in every skill you see, well dont blame the game mechanics.

No offense, but that is just wrong. Being called a cheat because he wants to respec his character? You cannot be serious can you? If so, wow just WOW. Runic needs to change that like now. Respeccing a character is NOT a cheat. If their intention is for you to make another character, then remove respeccing. But adding the option, then labeling the players who use it as cheaters and having the community look down on these people is just bad.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Best game of the year. This is what games are about not digital item sales .... This game is pure fun and fun was the goal. I hope everyone gives it a chance and makes the 20 dollar purchase. Much cheaper than Diablo 3 which is inferior to Torchlight 2.

Torchlight 2 gives you freedom to play the game you bought however you like to! I would never pay for Diablo 3 and be unable to play offline and also get a cash grab item shop for real life money thrown in my face. YUCK! Buy this game you won't regret it and you will be support game developers who make games to be fun, not solely for money grabs.

10+

Originally posted by crazynanny

Except every skills get additional effect at 5, 10 and 15 points spend. And then after spending 15 in skill A you discover it's not really good compared to skill B with 15 points. Reroll? I'd expect such attitude from more hardcore D3, rather casual TL2. Put option there, for some meaningfull amount of gold and done. No one force you to use it if you enjoy rerolling, just don't force others to do it.

Well maibe if you drop this attitude that you should have the best built, and use the skill you like, you will not have to reroll. Never taugh about that? In any case you want the best built? Just do so internet research , im sure you will find plenty of infos"

Now the trick i gave you was to test the skill you prefer and who match you're play style, but now i know you dont have one you just want the best built... You dont need to spent 15 points to know if you like a skill or not.

''I'd expect such attitude from more hardcore D3, rather casual TL2.'' What that even supposed to mean? D3 is for hadcore and TL2 is for casual? just lol.

Now you right no one force me to use it and i dont reroll either, i dont try to be the best out there i enjoy the builts i create cause they fit my play style. I take the time to read the skill and try them and i dont care if the b skill at the end is stronger than the skill c.

There is enough game out there where you dont have to customize you're own character, where everyones is the mighty powerful hero.. no one force you to reroll either, again just cheat if you're not happy with you're built. Yes there are mod who give re-spec potions with out being flag only you will know that you have cheat.

Originally posted by mackdawg19

No offense, but that is just wrong. Being called a cheat because he wants to respec his character? You cannot be serious can you? If so, wow just WOW. Runic needs to change that like now. Respeccing a character is NOT a cheat. If their intention is for you to make another character, then remove respeccing. But adding the option, then labeling the players who use it as cheaters and having the community look down on these people is just bad.

If you use the console or a mod to change the mechanics of the game that the dev implent, this is cheating. Yes im serious if you dont know what means cheating i cant help you. In TL2 you can only respect the 3 last skill point you spent, so if you use anything unofficial to full respect like these respect potions, you ARE cheating, yes i can use caps lock too.

btw if you take the time to read, i didnt call the man a cheat. I simply state a fact. Anyone who take the time to test the skill and read them and choose visely, they will not have to cheat. If someone just want the best built and re-spec by using a mod just to do more dps at the end, again this is cheating.

Runics doesnt have to change anything, the game is great has it is. Yeah that my opnion.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

too lazy to read everything but for the person that says using respec labels u as a cheater learn to think outside the box.

make a respec potion on a level 1 character transfer that to yourself. and look u respec without cheating!?

or u can use hex editor and editor ur save file delete the last two lines that says u are a cheater and look ! u didn't  cheat again!

To be honest if you are using something that was not intended for the players to get normally u are cheating regardless. 

• BlarklarkBlarklark Member Posts: 6
    Looks like fun!..  Its like a mix between Diablo and the early World of Warcraft 3 game ;).  I've been playing torchlight 1 and getting the plot down :)
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Qombi
    Even better you can get 4 copies for $60 on steam, give them to your mates, have fun in your own server all for the same price as rmah3
  • tauthetauthe Member Posts: 5
    Saw them at pax it was awesome, really cool features, can't wait to have fun with it. the sound of the guys pets make me want to go and play.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

It took me 30-40 hours to get bored from TL2. THis is not bad value for money by any means as the game costs 15 pounds. But I am back to Diablo 3 and I am enjoying that much more than TL2 and I have played D3 for 200-300 hours now and will probably play a lot more.

No closed servers + no near infinite xp progression killed TL2 for me. I know people get labeled as cheaters but that iss still not good enough. No point to trade as people can simply create items and no point to PvP if people can edit/create their items/ chars.

I know D3 is still no where near as good D2 but it is getting there with every new patch. Also D3 is the second best ARPG after Diablo 2 which actually feels more like a Diablo game. TL2 is definitely not the successor of D2. Even their skill trees are not as good as D2's. Boring classes and no Diablo atmosphere doesn't help either.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by fivoroth

It took me 30-40 hours to get bored from TL2. THis is not bad value for money by any means as the game costs 15 pounds. But I am back to Diablo 3 and I am enjoying that much more than TL2 and I have played D3 for 200-300 hours now and will probably play a lot more.

No closed servers + no near infinite xp progression killed TL2 for me. I know people get labeled as cheaters but that iss still not good enough. No point to trade as people can simply create items and no point to PvP if people can edit/create their items/ chars.

Yeah it's fun for a week or two but gets boring quick.  I'm still waiting for a company to make an ARPG that has ALL of teh great things from D2 and removes the junk. (And no POE does not do this).  TL2 is very lacking, even compared with D3.

• KolimakoKolimako Member Posts: 4
    better 2D egp game after Diablo...nothing to say anymore! thx developers!
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by crazynanny

Want to highlight one thing. Torchlight predecessor is game series called FATE, NOT D2. Google it and you'll see same pet system, fishing and fame. Don't want to take away credit from Blizz North guys as TL 1 & 2 are fun and polished games but it's Runic under previous name ?Encore Software? who made tons of work for TL series.

TL 2 is a fun game for more casual players. Played it enjoyed it but I'll be back with D3 after 1.05 patch.

FATE was a ripoff of Diablo 1  (minus pets/fishing/fame)

FATE and TL1 and D1 seem more similar than TL2  (going deeper and deeper into a dungeon)

TL2 is a much better game than TL1 (in my opinion)

• FuriantFuriant Member UncommonPosts: 30
    When you design a game mechanic and provide gameplay surface (NPC, UI, etc) for it, then when a player interacts with it, they are playing your game as intended, not cheating.