Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I had more fun in Guild Wars 1

13»

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    My problem is the lack of real gear progression.  After hitting 80 I bought level yellow 80 gear.  I looked at the orange gear and it wasn't much better and I could just farm gold to buy it from the TP.  I just had and still have no real motivation to continue playing.
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I want to hit 80 so I can have the full range of Trait points available for build theorycrafting.

After that it's going to be maxing out my slots w/ Exotic/Legendaries and the cosmetic grind is a big + to me as I already have 2-3 sets planned out that I want to grind for.

I am not the "hardcore" MMORPG player I used to be. I accept that.

GW2 is thusly perfect for me and my playstyle and life style.

I also love WvW but am saving it (mostly) for once I hit 80 (because I'm a hyper-competitive git) and plan on creating/rolling with a regular 5-person team for structured PvP (tournament mode of course).

All with no monthly fee, AAA quality (all games have bugs at launch, come on now!) and the promise of Arenanet to deliver on content updates, live events (still waiting for live events Anet LIVE TEAM get to it!) and expansion down the road offering (I hope) more weapon sets, more skills, and fun features like housing/guild halls.

It's a MMO, through and through.

I like what's different and unique about GW2 when compared to WoW - something TOR failed at IMO was not being different enough (I went back to WoW for a while after TOR, since TOR = WoW but not as good).

And though I'm a sandboxer at heart, there hasn't been a good one since SWG and SWG was a buggy, broken, unbalanced, steaming pile of mess.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    TwoThreeFour

Daoc had separated pve and pvp
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    TwoThreeFour

Daoc had separated pve and pvp

Okay. Wasn't though the "Darkness Falls" dungeon a major part of the PvE in the game? I am not sure that's why I ask :)

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670

I played guild wars 1 for one month and never touched it again.

Guild Wars 2 is the best mmo i've played in the last 6 years.  I don't plan on going anywhere.   There's way too much to do in this game.  

So i guess my opinion cancels out your opinion about GW1 v. GW2?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Guild Wars 1 was  a co-op game with no jump.  Not an MMO.  The skill sytem was interesting as it was like building a Magic: The Gathering deck.  However, certain builds were better than others thus rendering most skills obsolete.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by Aeolron

GW 1 for me was utterly borring and the worst RPG I had ever played.

Notice there I didn't call it a mmorpg because it isn't a mmo , it was instanced so much , the PvP was a joke and generaly it felt like a unfinished game simple as that.

To me GW 2 is much better , much more depth , although it could us more I agree , and GW 2 is a mmo unlike the first one.

You definitely need to go play some more RPGs if GW1 is on top of you worst list for RPGs. I can think of at least a dozen that beat it to that title.

I don't think we can really compare GW1 and GW2, they are quite different games. They are in the same genre, but structured to where it's almost aruging apples and oranges. Though I do agree on the statement of wanting more skills, though I completely understand why the developers did not want that many skills. From what I heard it was a nightmare to try and balance all of the skills in GW1. On the other hand I did love how would have like 3 common builds for a class, and then you would find that one odd, awesome duck , like the 55 monks if I remember correctly.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How did gw2 screw up progression?

Oh you mean for once its not a EQ inspired raid grinder?

Bots are a problem, but bots are a problem in any popular mmo, look at wow.

They screwed up progression because I didn't care to keep leveling to get more skills, I didn't care to keep leveling to get better gear.

GW2 has to be the most boring MMO I have ever played, every zone feels the same, you have most of your important skills before level 25.

I understand that I have never reached the highest level, 80, but I can't remember a MMO where I had no interest in leveling to max level, except GW2. I felt like I had already seen it all at level 25.

If getting new gear that looks "prettier" is a goal of yours, I won't fault that. But for me I want new gear that is better than what I'm wearing.

Maybe I've been brain washed into thinking that purple is better, but at least in other games I had purples and new skills to look forward to. GW2 feels like a FPS game to me, here you go, you unlocked a grenade launcher, congrats, but it's no different than your hand grenades we already gave you, except they shoot 5% further...

It is your own opinion, many others are actually having a blast, so it is un-logic to call them, for fanbois closing their eyes for reality, when they can basically call you, a hater, with no sense regarding reality.

Games are different and the opinions are also different. Guild Wars 2 is a huge blast for the majority of the players. The fact, that you had a bad experience doesn´t meant that the game is bad, nor, does the shrinkinging numbers in the player-base, since it is also un-logic if you await all people from release to stay. It happens with every game, even WoW.

When new expansion releases, there´s a big fuzz, otherwise, the servers are usually calm and not crowded.

Not to mention the fact, that Guild Wars 2 isn´t even created to be a lon-term mmo.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No not really, df came later. It was an open dungeon, not an instance, it was huge, it wasn't like a wow style dungeon where you progressed through a "story" in it. It was a good source of cash and materials.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

I have more fun playing (when I do play) GW2 then ever had GW1. 1st GW2 is free to play mmo. This is one key factor people leave out and why most play it. "socialize".. this is something that does not happen. Its like your playing a solo game. After 10+ server changes they are all the same. And if the chat is going its only like 5 people and your standing next to over 30 REAL players yet NOTHING.. no talking other then HI. I've tried being stupid to silly to funny .. nothing.

Want to get blocked .. talk about politics or Religion. But its free to play and it is NOT full of adults.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by Zeblade

I have more fun playing (when I do play) GW2 then ever had GW1. 1st GW2 is free to play mmo. This is one key factor people leave out and why most play it. "socialize".. this is something that does not happen. Its like your playing a solo game. After 10+ server changes they are all the same. And if the chat is going its only like 5 people and your standing next to over 30 REAL players yet NOTHING.. no talking other then HI. I've tried being stupid to silly to funny .. nothing.

Want to get blocked .. talk about politics or Religion. But its free to play and it is NOT full of adults.

Perhaps the adults socialize with other adults ...sorry you feel left out

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
  • MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

There are three MMOs I've played for a year, or more, in my life:

Eve Onllne

Guild Wars 1

Lord of the Rings Online

I've played many others for a month, or more.   Many on my list I play for a month or so then quit for quite some time before taking the game up again -- DDO is a great example of that.   But the list also includes UO and EQ2 as well as some other decent to excellent MMOs.

I have put more time into this MMO than most MMOs.   I'm embarrassed to say how many hours I've played.     But it's WAY TOO MANY.   To the point that if I weren't retired and in the start-up phase of my new business, I'd be in trouble with my clients, my staff and my work-load.

So, good for you, you hate the game.   It's an opinion.  And, frankly, one that stinks.

• SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261

I agree with the OP in regards to roles in dungeon and lack thereof.  It's about the only thing I really dislike about the game so far. I've been taking my time with the game and only just reached lvl 45 last night, so I've only gotten to do one dungeon and that's AC. I've ran it several times with friends and pugs and its just chaos.....I guess that would be the best way I could describe it. No one has a role or something of value they bring to the group.....everyone just dps's and occasionally throws down a heal. I don't find it fun or rewarding. I understand Anet wanted to do away with the "trinity" because then it doesn't restrict players from doing content because there isn't a healer or tank around. I thought it was a great idea at first but now I wish they hadn't gone this route. Also there's something missing with the classes....I don't know exactly what it is but I don't feel connected with any of the ones I've played(Ranger, Thief, Elementalist). I don't like the customization and only being able to choose 3 utility skills. Basing your main abilities off your weapon is good but I really wish each class had more utility. I guess I'm just so used to how classes work in other MMO's like AC, EQ,  DAoC, WoW, LotRO and TOR.

I'm not trying to bash GW2 at all.....I really am enjoying the game and its probably good that its F2P and something I can come back to any time I want. The Dynamic events are great and really forces you to work together with other players to get stuff done instead of fighting over quest objectives. Shared resources is another thing I love about the game.....no fighting or racing someone to a node. WvW and sPvP are both great and I really like how Anet wants it to be about player skill and not who has the best pvp gear. There are alot of great things about GW2 but its flaws in class design will probably keep me from playing this game long term.

• dudeduder45dudeduder45 Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by Nadia
    the story/lore was better in GW1 but otherwise i prefer GW2

I agree with this. I also hope anet makes something that i can enjoy as much as DoA in gw1. Once this game has something like that, i'll be happy as a clam

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    GW1 was a lot better. In time, Forbes will be writting articles of the failure of GW2 just like they did with SWTOR. The community should not feed these companies money to make such games with little depth. They will just keep making them if we do.

As altholic started when expansions were all already out so purchased after few days  (as i remembe, have been long) all expansions. After 1 week or so had enough of that terribly boring, jumpless, game. Gw1 could never exist as sub based.

On the other hand GW2 is such great game, that I can barely believe is from same company. GW1 was bad also for that time, as much as i.e. Oblivion.

So far I'm very happy with Gw2. Game have also incredible depth, an incredible number of candy bars at every step. Is very very fun to play.

Said this all my 8 alts are however between 10 and 15 so have to wait little more, at least past half game, for better judgement. Would not like that terrible experience with Aion repeats. Acceptable, actually fun, to level 20, then free fall all the way down to mud. Never ever will return to Aion. But even if I try to compare experience Gw2 is real marvel of gaming.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    I honestly would have been alright with a GW1 without all the restrictions such as private zones, no jumping, restricted exploration, etc. That's what I actaully expected the game to be like. I'll admit to defending the game on the here but only from retarded posts that were quick to judge the game within two days of its release. It has been one month, I powered my way to 80 not because I power leveled / grinded like a mad man, but because it just didnt take that long. Heck, GW1 took me at least 3 weeks to get to 20 in prophecies. I feel like that game isn't done. They need a TON more skills added to each profession and a whole lot more level 80 content to keep people from leaving. NOT LEAVING TO MOP (I fail to see the appeal paying 45 additional dollars for an expansion that is sub-par or mediocre at best and getting zero game time) but leaving in general. Exploration can seriously go to hell because I find zero incentive to go explore a low level zone when there's no reward from doing so. Yes I definitely appreciate how beautiful and well designed the game is but like I said, zero incentive and if the only incentive is the sights, I'd go on vacation instead for that sort of a thing. RELEASE THE SECOND HALF OF TEH GAME ALREADY!!!