Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal story poll

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I like it and hope to see more personal stories type things in future MMOs. Not everything has to be about Xp / gold to be fun and interesting.
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

[mod edit]

Rift had no personal story, it was the story of your faction, that's it.
    ToR was a story about your profession, very few choices affected how it played out.
    TSW is a story about the world, its inhabitants and how they've been affected by what's going on.
    GW2 is much more of a personal story than any of those options, far more choices with more consequences before they all come together towards the very end, you could roll several alts of the same race and have very different stories.

Delivery - I have to say TSW wins hands down for me, well written and mostly well voice acted.
    SWTOR - Too much story that continually took me out of the world, caused a big disconnect between the MMO and the RPG for me, didn't even finish one character.
    GW2 - Major plus is that it doesn't take up lots of play time, you stay firmly rooted to the MMO, a lot of it isn't very well written or well voice acted at earlier levels, the story gets much more enthralling later though the voice of Trahearne is enough to send anyone to sleep. I got really in to it on my lvl 80 sylvari Necro, enjoying the human story now.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

[mod edit]

Obsolete for who? When you say obsolete, what replaced the raiding? Usually when something is obsolete, it's becasue it's been replaced by something better. GW2 doesn't replace raiding. It gives an alternative for those who have no intention of raiding. But for a demographic of peopel who just want that option removed for everyone in the game? I'm willing to bet that number is not as great as you think.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

GW2's personal story has a lot more branches than SWTOR did but I think TOR's was higher quality overall.  So it's a trade off.

You can't even compare it to something like Tera which doesn't even make a serious attempt at a personal story.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by mbd1968
    Is it really a personal story, if you have two characters of the same race isn't the story the same? How can that be personal?

Precisely, which is why I consider "personal developer-crafted stories" to be an abomination for MMORPGs. Single player games are for such stories, for MMORPGs I strongly prefer to learn about the world I "live in" and watch it evolve rather than having some form of "personal" story that is repeated for every person who makes the same "choices". 

This is why I'd say that TSW blew this game away.  The story was less about your character and much more about what's going on....there were certain cutscenes where the npcs talking didnt even look my toons way....

After hearing there is a personal story in GW2 about your missing parents I amost tinkled myself...200,000 more toons will here from the same person that their parents are missing?  Maybe they never had parents?  Maybe it's Brave New World....maybe GW2 story (for everything, including personal) is childish/immature, amateurish and hurried to the production line with no sense of progression...just mumbo-jumbo, generic storylines and cliche phrases strewn together like vomit.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Think games have really hard time to make a good story when most movies and books fail miserably.

There was few games that had fabulous story but GW2 is not one of them.   GW2 story is just standard fantasy story.

If story is supposed to sucker me in for long-time it have to be really good and mature (or really funny comedy wise which might be even harder). 

Even praised TSW and Swtor did not provide it for me.    

Few mmorpg's had few good quest stories ( yes I actually read them if they are written good and not just few sentences "help. kill 5 bandits". but that's that.

• jimbiojimbio Member Posts: 11
    i liked the personal story but there were some npcs with weired voices in the german translation :)
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I'm quite hapy with the personal story so far. I don't find the voice acting terrible and the story is better than most of the crap in SWTOR many people seem to be swooning over. Those stories were either dumb or really over the top with the exception of bounty hunter which was the only story that was good of all the classes, and I forced myself to play them all. The choices were an illusion in SWTOR, in GW2 you get to make actual choices that change your mission completely, though afterwards the choice won't have much, if any, influence.

In GW2 I'm nearly done with the human story and going through Charr and Asura. Level 30 and 20 on those and it's okay so far. I can't say there were 3 classes in SWTOR with decent story and the whole illusion of choice there is frankly upsetting.

So I'm really wondering if GW2 is sub-par, then what games are par and above par? It must be TSW, right? I haven't played that one.

imageimage
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

[mod edit]

Rift had no personal story, it was the story of your faction, that's it.
    ToR was a story about your profession, very few choices affected how it played out.
    TSW is a story about the world, its inhabitants and how they've been affected by what's going on.
    GW2 is much more of a personal story than any of those options, far more choices with more consequences before they all come together towards the very end, you could roll several alts of the same race and have very different stories.

Delivery - I have to say TSW wins hands down for me, well written and mostly well voice acted.
    SWTOR - Too much story that continually took me out of the world, caused a big disconnect between the MMO and the RPG for me, didn't even finish one character.
    GW2 - Major plus is that it doesn't take up lots of play time, you stay firmly rooted to the MMO, a lot of it isn't very well written or well voice acted at earlier levels, the story gets much more enthralling later though the voice of Trahearne is enough to send anyone to sleep. I got really in to it on my lvl 80 sylvari Necro, enjoying the human story now.

very much agreed.. GW2 also was the only one where choices I made actually made a big difference in the events that played out.. maybe I ended up in the same place but the events leading to that where completely changed depending on the choice I made. How the choices during CC work and choices in the story sequences themselves honestly GW2 is the only one I could really consider a "personal story"

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

" honestly GW2 is the only one I could really consider a "personal story""

You mean Trahearne's personal story, right?:P

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

the personal story is easily the worst part of GW2.

Stupid storyline and terrible dialogue, VO can be hit or miss for most part.

TSW and TOR did a better job in terms of the whole instanced story experience tbh.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    But......

Personal story just isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

There are much more important things to get right, like your pvp not being a clusterf***, and end game not solely consisting of constantly grinding the same dungeons over and over
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    wish there had been a option something along the line of " yeah it's ok". I don't think the voice acting is any better or worse than any other games I have played that uses it but none of them will win any academy awards. I like the choices you get asked to make alomg the way but think overall SWToR's cutscenes were a tad better

I miss DAoC

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Also I wore out my space bar on swtor.

I would have worn it out on gw2, but thankfully gw2 let's you level how the hell you like.

Tsw story I DID like, tsw would have made a superb coop rpg, where you can invite 3 other players to your game left 4 dead style, they could have really gone to town on the graphics, tension, world changing etc.. then and given it some great atmosphere.
  • tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Personal story is for games where you're the hero. It belongs in games like Dragon Age, etc. I mean come on. Really? Personal story, in an MMO. I'm just going to go blow my brains out right now I guess. 
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    I have read better fan fiction. The personal story is by far the worst part of GW2. Sure there are choices, but it doesn't matter when the whole story itself is lackluster and filled with cliches. It really isn't worth the time to do it other than for the rewards.
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

Slyvari Ranger going the Whispers path was awesome! Humorous and clever. 8/10 through L50 step.

OTOH, Human Necro on Vigil path, boring, pedantic, stereotypical. 3/10 through L64 step.

So storylines are not even remotely created equal.

• tabindextabindex Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

[mod edit]

There's no hate towards GW2 there. It's simply disbelief in how far things have gotten out of hand in games that used to be about dynamic, living worlds. First the instanced dungeons showed up, giving each group a "personal hour long replayable story", now (swtor, gw2, tsw) it's become personalized to the individual and it's considered a "revolutionary" feature of the game.

• Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

The results of your choices may have been signficant but the choices themselves were terrible plot devices.  They were unessecarily black and white and I'm yet to have an option that I would ever consider.

On top of the black and white, I'm not even sure why I'm the person making the decision half the time.  

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by tabindex
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

[mod edit]

There's no hate towards GW2 there. It's simply disbelief in how far things have gotten out of hand in games that used to be about dynamic, living worlds. First the instanced dungeons showed up, giving each group a "personal hour long replayable story", now (swtor, gw2, tsw) it's become personalized to the individual and it's considered a "revolutionary" feature of the game.

So personalized to the gamer is bad? I think you live in the past too much and remember it as better than it was.

In GW2 the personal story is not the main part of the game at all. Its not the game revolves around your personal story. Its a side story to be done when you and if you want. Knowing the subject matter at hand allows you to post about it in an informed way. Your post makes it sound like GW2 is all about the personal story and nothing about the rest of the game.

• Originally posted by mbd1968
    Is it really a personal story, if you have two characters of the same race isn't the story the same? How can that be personal?

Two characters of the same race do not have the same story.

Its based on race and the answers you give to various questions.   I think later on the story converges more and more as you get to 80 such that the final few missions are the same or similar for each person.

• buckleypermbuckleyperm Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Zzad

I´m trully enjoying my Elementalist Asura personal story! to the point of "Yes, its awesome"

It´s a great addition to the game & it´s cool that some friends can join me to give a helping hand when needed since some quests are kind of hard...

I also love the branching in the story line..it gives so much sense of replayability...

How would have been if i chosed to strike a fight instead of alerting everyone? How would it be if i chosed to be in another order? Now i want to play all posibilities!!!

Only thing i really miss is a bigger impact on my "home" area....but i guess that will be adressed in future patches & expansions...

what he said....

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by mbd1968

No.  Stories don't consolidate until the 60's as far as I can see...

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

First off, I want to say GW2 is a lot of fun and I'm enjoying my time mostly in WvW with the regulars from my guild and server who are always in there win or lose. When I wait in q, which is not that often on my server, I enjoy the pve. The pve is fun for me. When I played MoP for the past few days, I found myself wanteing to dodge and fire off skills on the move, but couldn't do so. 

However, I couldn't care less about my personal story. It is more like an annoyance for me to stop what I'm doing having fun out in the world or pvping to go back and find out what happens to my character. I know that everyone will have their own krewe and personal story and a lot of people will make the same choices as me, so it's not really a *personal* story anyway, is it?  

It's fine if it's an optional feature of the game for people who like it. I would just as soon disable my personal story so I don't see that green marker on my map all the time. Is there a way to disable it?

I admit I'm more of a sandbox guy, so to me the best personal stories are the ones you make for yourself with other players. 

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I haven't cared for the personal story at all on two of my three characters, not against instancing per se but the stories haven't even been slightly compelling- I suppose TSW has spoiled me for that.