Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monthly updates are smaller and smaller

Comments

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by smh_alot

Heh. Well, since you already openly and honestly admitted (for which my respect btw) that nothing would make you happier than see Funcom cease to exist and that all your posts and actions would be in the line of supporting that goal, I can't say that I'm really surprised that that's what you thought. :-)

However, my post was both a reply on the OP's reply where he questioned why another poster responded upon his post(s) like that as well as a comment on the issues in the OP, as the quoted posts show.

Don't really see anything wrong with that.

The whole point of a discussion is not to question people's motives, it is to discuss what  is being said.  If people want to look at past postings of others and try to work out where they are coming from, then fine.  But to post about the OP as some sort of justification for somebodies opinion being less than valid, without actually stating your own motives is nothing more than a dig.  You are trying to devalue somebodies opinion by drawing the focus away from the topic and question motives. When you yourself do not express your own motives.

Originally posted by MagikrorriM
    How would mmo devs put out monthly content? Maybe plan ahead, people seem to forget 7 years worth of content has already been planned, 10 years worth of research is going into the game as well. Why do people disreguard that fact, a monthly content schedule is something that can't be achieved on the fly.
    How can it be 7 years worth of content, if people have completed the game and are waiting on new content to be added?  It took them that time to make the game.   Could only have a small amount of content.  I would think if they plan to release on a monthly basis they would have at least 12 months of content planned.  But at the same time, what state of evolution that content might be in I don't know.

Nobody has yet stated how many gameplay hours the updates have introduced. From the sounds of it the game as a whole looks to only have 30-40 main quest hours if people have completed the game in a month.  Looks to me like something like Borderlands 2 is a bigger game.  Probably is an indictment of the current MMO industry, when a single player game has a lot more content.

Monthly updates should average within the realms of 1-5 hours of gameplay I would imagine.  Which does kind of raise the question, why bother?  A 3 monthly update might be a better way forward. But you would need to renegotiate that with the user base.   I kind of think Funcom have dug themselves a big monthly hole and as the OP mentioned a pattern is forming.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by fallenlords

Heh. Well, since you already openly and honestly admitted (for which my respect btw) that nothing would make you happier than see Funcom cease to exist and that all your posts and actions would be in the line of supporting that goal, I can't say that I'm really surprised that that's what you thought. :-)   However, my post was both a reply on the OP's reply where he questioned why another poster responded upon his post(s) like that as well as a comment on the issues in the OP, as the quoted posts show.   Don't really see anything wrong with that.

The whole point of a discussion is not to question people's motives, it is to discuss what  is being said.  If people want to look at past postings of others and try to work out where they are coming from, then fine.  But to post about the OP as some sort of justification for somebodies opinion being less than valid, without actually stating your own motives is nothing more than a dig.  You are trying to devalue somebodies opinion by drawing the focus away from the topic and question motives. When you yourself do not express your own motives.

? My motives are very simple, and that's digging at the heart of a discussion, at what a topic's really about, and shedding my light or opinion upon it all, not only the surface. And using logic and reason while at it. Your agenda is very clear, like you said yourself you want to do everything in your power (for whatever silly reason) to 'get back' at Funcom for what they did to you, namely destroy your gaming fun years ago, but motives and what someone's point is in their posts aren't always so clear. I replied on both posters' comments that I quoted, but I must say, you're getting kinda annoying in your own personal ranting crusade, so if you have a problem with my commenting on other posters' post, kindly fuck off or put me on your own ignore list, bc I don't see any reason to stop doing how I've been posting all the time -_-

Anyway, this is where I'll stop continuing this dialogue with you that's going nowhere, just like other times. I'll stick to the OP and other posters' posts.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I unsubbed, but it had nothing to do with he development content, and everything to do with the gameplay not being fun after the first few days.

You make me like charity

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Nobody has yet stated how many gameplay hours the updates have introduced. From the sounds of it the game as a whole looks to only have 30-40 main quest hours if people have completed the game in a month.  Looks to me like something like Borderlands 2 is a bigger game.  Probably is an indictment of the current MMO industry, when a single player game has a lot more content.

Oh, come on man. We all know of your bright crusade against funcom, trying to troll every topic in the forum since early beta.

And such statements, that you want to sell people as "fact", are nothing more than a clear indicator, what credibility your posts have. I mean, 30-40 hours of questing? Seriously, you did some better trolling in the past my friend. If you only follow the game strictly and do the quests in every zone, you wont be done until a minimum of 100 hours. And these 100 hours are quite low, because there are some Investigations that will take an hour or two to solve them without google and spoilers.

I know there are people who completed every zone in a month, but these people were playing 150hours in this month. And these are the same people that cry at the GW2 and MOP Forums 1-2 weeks after release cause they rushed again through the game. No game would help them in their demise.

Its clear for everyone here, that you never ever played this game and you are just repeating some rumors and building your little tower of lies here. 30 -40 hours....omg /facepalm

Hodor!

Originally posted by gwei198

And such statements, that you want to sell people as "fact", are nothing more than a clear indicator, what credibility your posts have. I mean, 30-40 hours of questing? Seriously, you did some better trolling in the past my friend. If you only follow the game strictly and do the quests in every zone, you wont be done until a minimum of 100 hours. And these 100 hours are quite low, because there are some Investigations that will take an hour or two to solve them without google and spoilers.

100 hours if you do quests in every zone.  So if you don't do quests in every zone and follow just the main questline the content is probably 30-40 hours.  I mean 100 hours of content is more like 3-4 months worth of gameplay.  Yet a lot of people blitzed through TSW in less time than it takes to complete a single player game like Skyrim. 

Still my question hasn't been answered how many hours of gameplay have the updates added?

For your information I played the game in beta, I was promised closed beta access due to sub with AOC.  But if that was closed access I will eat my hat.   I found it dull to be honest, the first cut scene made me feel suicidal and overall I saw no innovation that had been promised.  I was also looking forward to it being release on Xbox 360 as the first MMO - but again just another lie perpetrated by my least favorite company.  Who had peaked my interest over a long period of time only to be shot down in flames a few months prior to release.

? My motives are very simple, and that's digging at the heart of a discussion, at what a topic's really about, and shedding my light or opinion upon it all, not only the surface. And using logic and reason while at it. Your agenda is very clear, like you said yourself you want to do everything in your power (for whatever silly reason) to 'get back' at Funcom for what they did to you, namely destroy your gaming fun years ago, but motives and what someone's point is in their posts aren't always so clear. I replied on both posters' comments that I quoted, but I must say, you're getting kinda annoying in your own personal ranting crusade, so if you have a problem with my commenting on other posters' post, kindly fuck off or put me on your own ignore list, bc I don't see any reason to stop doing how I've been posting all the time -_-

Anyway, this is where I'll stop continuing this dialogue with you that's going nowhere, just like other times. I'll stick to the OP and other posters' posts.
    Digging at the heart of the discussion, only when you perceive somebodies motives to be less than friendly towards Funcom.  In a discussion people come from varying viewpoints, to move the discussion away from what is being discussed to question almost the moral standpoint of the participant.  Is just a covert way of trying to deflect the discussion away from what is being discussed.  Trying to make a persons viewpoint invalid due to their current standing.  

In this instance the OP is stating the monthly updates are getting smaller and smaller.  The defence against this argument is to bring into question the persons motives.   Not to actually address the concerns raised by the OP.   In replies to me you keep making it abundantly clear that I don't like Funcom, as if I need to be reminded of that fact ... but then it's not me your are reminding is it?  It's the other readers of the posts, to whom you wish to make any point I make seem invalid because of my dislike of Funcom.  But yet again not really making your stance clear, though I think there is a term for a fan that can see a company do no wrong regardless of their actions. 

The end of a good discussion always normally sees somebody throwing the baby out with the bath water.

100 hours if you do quests in every zone.  So if you don't do quests in every zone and follow just the main questline the content is probably 30-40 hours.  I mean 100 hours of content is more like 3-4 months worth of gameplay.  Yet a lot of people blitzed through TSW in less time than it takes to complete a single player game like Skyrim. 
    Yeah, you can do Skyrim in 20 hours if you want. But no sane person would do that. So I dont get it, why people always want to do MMORPGs the easiest and fastest way. But no one would cry about Skyrim having not enough content.
    TSW has a good amount of content ready. You cant please the locusts. See to the GW2 channels for that. Rushing to 80....wäähh no content!!111
    Still my question hasn't been answered how many hours of gameplay have the updates added?

I would say if you count only the quests, it would be 25-30hours, if you dont spoiler or google them.

Plus the nightmares which take quite long to finish with a new group. Consider it some more dozens of hours. But ok, they are only new difficulties. Plus you got the new lair missions, which make the puzzle piece farming for the world bosses a lot easier and not so grindy (although its still grindy, i have to admit)

And you cant really measure the things like the barber and face-lifter.

The content updates until now were not bad. Nothing groundbreaking, but ok. If they keep it up with their monthly patches, they would be the only developer who delivers that ammount of content subsequently. Compared to a developer like Bioware or Blizzard, which have not only more human ressources, but also much more budget, this is truly a good effort.

Hodor!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by gwei1984

Yeah, you can do Skyrim in 20 hours if you want. But no sane person would do that. So I dont get it, why people always want to do MMORPGs the easiest and fastest way. But no one would cry about Skyrim having not enough content.
    TSW has a good amount of content ready. You cant please the locusts. See to the GW2 channels for that. Rushing to 80....wäähh no content!!111

I would say if you count only the quests, it would be 25-30hours, if you dont spoiler or google them.

Plus the nightmares which take quite long to finish with a new group. Consider it some more dozens of hours. But ok, they are only new difficulties. Plus you got the new lair missions, which make the puzzle piece farming for the world bosses a lot easier and not so grindy (although its still grindy, i have to admit)

And you cant really measure the things like the barber and face-lifter.

The content updates until now were not bad. Nothing groundbreaking, but ok. If they keep it up with their monthly patches, they would be the only developer who delivers that ammount of content subsequently. Compared to a developer like Bioware or Blizzard, which have not only more human ressources, but also much more budget, this is truly a good effort.

I think that's a bit optimistic.  It's somewhere more like 10 hours at a casual pace.  People simply aren't going to pay a monthly fee for tiny updates.  At least not in the numbers needed to keep the game alive.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by jayfeeler69
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL

July update: 6 quests (7 if you count the one removed during beta)

August update month late: 4 quests

September update on time: 2 quests

Not to sound alarmist but anyone notice a trend?

Im thinking two quests a month is going to be the norm. It is sad as 2 quests literally takes a max of one hour to do. Im a lifetimer (thankfully?) so I dont have to worry about a sub, but if I did pay a sub Id have unsubbbed on the lack of developed content per month. Is is too much to expect them to make one quest a week for  a total of 4 every month?

Well, first of all -  Update 1.3: 'The Cat God' contains a lot more than just two quests.  For a more accurate list of what this update contains, here's the actual link to it:  http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/update_notes_issue_3_the_cat_god_game_update_1_3

Secondly, as a 'lifetimer', it's true you really don't have anything to worry about... which doesn't match your posting history.  Hmmm... anyway, it's also been revealed that additional content from update 1.3 is already in place but not 'turned on' yet... apparently they have something big building up toward Halloween... but then, as a 'lifetimer' you'd know that already, right?

Way to ignore what I posted to directly attack me. A halloween event is not content in the typical sense. Will new players be able to run it in december? Nope. So its not content. So we got 2 quests for a monthly update.

I have no care or say on the TSW, however you are absolutely wrong on your definition of content.

If you can run the October event during the event timeframe, it is content. Content is not in any way shape or form defined by how long it stays around. There are games which have once only quests, so because your character can never go back and do them after the first time they're not content? Yes, they are in content and yes in every MMO special holiday content is...... content.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

I've done every single mission on my way through the areas, while running some dungeons while doing so aswell.

The time it took me to complete all this is actually quiet close to some 100 hours, but I did this in two weeks of holiday playing for some 6-8 hours a day.

You simply cannot judge the amount of content offered in TSW by looking at people like me, who have/had lots of time to play. If you've got lots of time, then you're not blizzing through the content at all, you just spent the same amount of gametime in less days/weeks/month.
    For a casual gamer, who only plays some 2 hours a day, it'll take atleast two month to do all the quests available.

The question is, who's the targeted audience of the game? The casuals or the "hardcore" in regards to hours/day played.

For players like me, the game has definately too little content, but that's the case with every RPG. I've played through Borderlands 1 (first release without addons) to lvl 50 in some 14 days aswell. I've leveled to LvL 70 in WoW:BC in two weeks, I've leveled to LvL 50 not skipping any quests in SWTOR in 14 days, etc etc etc.

Having too little content is a general problem with level-based themeparks (and TSW is actually level-based in some way aswell, 100% skillwheel being max level if you want to). Even a casual with 2 hours/day spent ingame will churn through the content faster then the devs can create new content.

The only thing that extends the content is the dreadful endgame-grind. And in TSW you'll look at farming 1870 bullions, which will take some two month alone, if you're running only two or three nightmares every day.

Anyways... the only solution to fix the problem of there being too litle content is to have a sandbox, where players can create their own content, but that doesn't attract too much players either, as most sandbox-gameplay evolves around grinding aswell.

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I think that's a bit optimistic.  It's somewhere more like 10 hours at a casual pace.  People simply aren't going to pay a monthly fee for tiny updates.  At least not in the numbers needed to keep the game alive.

Well, there have been 10 investigations since vanilla, 3 action missions and the auxiliary mission. As i said, i dont calculate that you google your investigations, cause thats some sort of lame, you know. So I dont think you can do these 14 missions in 10 hours.

Hodor!

Originally posted by smh_alo

[mod edit]

See now we start to get to the crux of the matter.   The discussion in effect is moot if the person discussing is in your viewpoint is a 'chronic hater' and they should move on with their life as 'mature' people do.   So you are judging the person, not what is being discussed.

I notice you answered the OP's question, but not without bringing into doubt their character first.  Now I understand why. 

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    I don't play this game, but I'd take small 1 month updates over what most MMO's throw out these days.
  • augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

They just announced that they've hired back 3 people, and feel that they are on track to keep up with monthly updates.

I think the OP is overlooking that the fact that they've been working hard to get out systems like the trading house, lfg and auxiliary weapons.  With that stuff largely done, and with part of the team being hired back, they should have no problem adding more "content" to the game each month.  I know from twitter that they've been recording VO work for future missions.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by smh_alo

Fucking BS. Chronic haters simply annoy the hell out of me, I wish they'd grow up and move on with their life as most balanced, mature people manage to do. In any case, I replied on the OP's question in my 1st post here, I'm not surprised that you chose to ignore that little part of my post.

Damn, I did it again, replying on your post. Gonna stop here, seems you'll go on forever otherwise.

See now we start to get to the crux of the matter. The discussion in effect is moot if the person discussing is in your viewpoint is a 'chronic hater' and they should move on with their life as 'mature' people do. So you are judging the person, not what is being discussed.

I notice you answered the OP's question, but not without bringing into doubt their character first. Now I understand why.

Wrong on 2 accounts. I replied on the OP, who got indignant bc another poster attacked him. I didn't attack him or 'bring into doubt his character', that had already been done by another poster. I replied the OP why it's not that strange that that other poster questioned his motives, bc he had seen what I and others saw as well: all the posts of that recently created poster were all either bashing or trolling TSW.

Secondly, my stance towards chronic haters shouldn't be a surprise, since it has come up a few times in my discussions with you. Which is why you probably chose to pick that part from my post and thus do your usual derailing of a thread or debate. Chronic haters, regarding any game btw, remind me of that story where a 19th century spoilt rich kid whines and goes in a tantrum bc his toy got broken, while outside starving kids do everything to survive on the streets. Hating and campaigning against banks or for politics or the manyh injustices in Africa or child labor etc, do as you must. But against a game or game company as some do? [mod edit]
  • GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by augustgrace

They just announced that they've hired back 3 people, and feel that they are on track to keep up with monthly updates.

I think the OP is overlooking that the fact that they've been working hard to get out systems like the trading house, lfg and auxiliary weapons.  With that stuff largely done, and with part of the team being hired back, they should have no problem adding more "content" to the game each month.  I know from twitter that they've been recording VO work for future missions.

Exactly.  That they've begun hiring back people is excellent news. 

Wrong on 2 accounts. I replied on the OP, who got indignant bc another poster attacked him. I didn't attack him or 'bring into doubt his character', that had already been done by another poster. I replied the OP why it's not that strange that that other poster questioned his motives, bc he had seen what I and others saw as well: all the posts of that recently created poster were all either bashing or trolling TSW.
    You see that wouldn't even occur to me, to check the previous 'form' of somebody I am having a discussion with.  I wouldn't even view that as relevant.    Bashing or trolling in a sense from your perspective appears to be saying anything negative about Funcom or their games.  I post a lot of negative stuff about Funcom, but it doesn't mean from time to time I might not post a point of relevance.  But by the sounds of it, any point I have to make is probably not viewed with any relevance because I have been labeled.  Why I replied to you was because I had noticed a similar pattern in other discussions. 
    Secondly, my stance towards chronic haters shouldn't be a surprise, since it has come up a few times in my discussions with you. Which is why you probably chose to pick that part from my post and thus do your usual derailing of a thread or debate. Chronic haters, regarding any game btw, remind me of that story where a 19th century spoilt rich kid whines and goes in a tantrum bc his toy got broken, while outside starving kids do everything to survive on the streets. Hating and campaigning against banks or for politics or the manyh injustices in Africa or child labor etc, do as you must. But against a game or game company as some do? [mod edit]
    You are quite covert I will admit that, for want of a better word.   How it goes from a simple discussion about questioning somebodies character to starving children, banks, politics, child labor is quite beyond me.   Next thing you will be comparing me to some long dead or living Dictator. Again trying to devalue opinion by making comparisons against things that have no relevance to this particular forum or discussion.
    [mod edit]
    Too easy isn't it, point the finger at somebody saying something negative.   Call them a troll, question their motives, question their character and then for good measure drop in a comment on the discussion itself after the fact. As I mentioned before it's an underhanded way of derailing a thread and to question what somebody has said, without actually having a discussion.  Another ruse appears to be trying to end the dicussion by saying it's now derailed, yet the people initially derailing the thread where those calling into question the OP's character. Which was not a relevant factor.

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

I love fallenlords.

Also yea, seems the updates are getting smaller. It's a simple fact. Look at the numbers.

• jayfeeler69jayfeeler69 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by GR3NDEL
    Originally posted by augustgrace

Exactly.  That they've begun hiring back people is excellent news. 

Likely to help with a f2p conversion, after all Bylos gave the kiss of death by stating no f2p soon. Every experienced mmo gamer knows that when a dev denies f2p when the game is sinking is lying.

Likely to help with a f2p conversion, after all Bylos gave the kiss of death by stating no f2p soon. Every experienced mmo gamer knows that when a dev denies f2p when the game is sinking is lying.

The game isn't "sinking". They said in an interview with Eurogamer the game is profitable now. But of course, you could say they're lying which would just begin a senseless argument on no merit. Sticking with what was said, myself.

Originally posted by Rawiz

I love fallenlords.

Also yea, seems the updates are getting smaller. It's a simple fact. Look at the numbers.

Disagree. This upcoming patch is adding a new system to the game (the theatre), the games first raid and some more missions along with bugfixes and such. The one before had less content IMO. If we could get a new game system and endgame activity along with some missions or a new weapon every month (weapon as in weapon type with it's own skills like the Rocket Launcher. They already hinted at a new weapon coming soon) I'd say my $15 is put to good use. 

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Go ahead and quit/not play.  I'll be running NY raids and running around Tokyo myself.  =)
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    Go ahead and quit/not play.  I'll be running NY raids and running around Tokyo myself.  =)

How is a single boss in a half hour cs going to keep you engaged as a raid? Are you even going to bother running it twice? This is the reason TSW is falling, the game is simply not replayable unless you love gear grind

Originally posted by Draron

The game isn't "sinking". They said in an interview with Eurogamer the game is profitable now. But of course, you could say they're lying which would just begin a senseless argument on no merit. Sticking with what was said, myself.

Their quarterly reports state otherwise, again you are taking a pr mans words for truth