Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game did you buy your first video card for?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Dark Age of Camelot, back in 2002 because it was only guaranteed to work on about 10 tested video cards so I went out and bought one of them. (my current "Hercules" graphics card was not working on it)

I must not have ever had one of the ten...That game always ran terrible on my PCs.

yeah, I wouldn't have known except I called tech support and they gave me a list of the video cards to purchase, and I went with one of the mid-range ones and had decent performance.  (except for that famous lag spike you'd get when the zerg would suddenly get on grid or something, but on the plus side, you always knew it was coming)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    ATI RAGE Pro 3D came with Computer and then bought a Voodoo 3 3000 PCI eventually for Quake World Team Fortress :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    I think it was an early Geforce card,  but my gateway PC with ME (anyone remember that shit?) wouldn't run a newly released Neverwinter Nights (Bioware) so I had to buy a new card.
  • darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

Voodoo for Quake. In related news I upgraded to windows 95 to be able to play the Mech Warrror games

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I think I bought a card for Myst, on Windows 3.1. I'm not sure I needed the card, but I wanted to upgrade something. I think my next significant video card purchase was a Diamond something for one of the MechWarrior games. I never did buy a Voodoo type card and I think my next significant purchase after that was for WoW. Between MW and WoW, I was doing mostly programming and web development instead of playing games, so I didn't pay that much attention to the cards I was buying.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by Ghern

I bought my first Voodoo card to run Quake II.

Good times.

+1

• GotterdammerGotterdammer Member Posts: 36
    Mine was a Riva TNT2 to play the original Half-life. Loved that card to death.
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

Voodoo3 2000 PCI!

I bought it for the Star Wars Pod Racing game, back in 1998(?). If memory serves me correctly,  that video card lasted me until 2004; it even played Final Fantasy XI flawlessly.

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90
    I bought my first computer in 1998 to play Ultima Online after a friend of mine got me hooked on it.  I had some sort of ATI graphics card, don't remember what it was.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I can't remember the game or the card exactly but I do know the first card I bought was an EGA card so I could try out some of them thar new fangled 16 color games. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• FausteluneFaustelune Member Posts: 9
    A Voodoo 3 to play Diablo 2 in Glide mode!
  • BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Bought a video card A voodoo to play some EQ1.
  • farorefarore Member UncommonPosts: 89
    A diamond viper v550 to play star wars rogue squadron
  • Mikey_HazardMikey_Hazard Member Posts: 84
    Omikron: The Nomad Soul

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    My first video card was purchased to run Earth and Beyond. IIRC it was an ATI Radeon All in Wonder. Cant recall what series number it would have been at that time.
  • RattusRattus Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I can't remember the card but I bought it for Grand Prix Legends. Sometime around 98-99.
  • PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Voodoo for Quake
  • CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532
    Everquest in '99.  I saw that using MB graphics meant I could barely move and mobs were often 20' in front of where I saw them.  It was an nVidia/GeForce 16MB as far as I can recall, something like that.
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    Ti400 for EQ and SWG way back when video cards were first coming  out to replace the old on board video motherboard with a 16-bit 286 CPU.
  • DragimDragim Member UncommonPosts: 867

I didn't buy it, as I was 14 at the time, but in 1999, Everquest, I convinced my parents they needed a new card to make our computer run faster (so EVERYONE who uses it could enjoy the upgrade).

It still took a minute to transition zones though :-/.

---------------

Me buying my own graphics card?  I would say Eve Online/Planetside since they came out about the same time.  I remember my computer did not meet the minimum requirements graphics card wise, so I went out and bought a new one for $200 (thing WAS a beast.)

Then most recently...buying a whole new computer in general...for..well...any game that comes out and I want to run :P

I am entitled to my opinions, misspellings, and grammatical errors.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by Mikey_Hazard
    Omikron: The Nomad Soul

that's awesome

• Cosmonaut79Cosmonaut79 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    EQ1.  I remember playing on my old system and everything was fine.  Then one day they released a graphic update and suddenly all of my toons were naked.  I was still kind of a pc noob back then.  It took me a while to figure out my onboard graphics weren't enough for the game anymore!
  • Lady_VixenLady_Vixen Member Posts: 9

Diamond Monster 3D video card (Original Voodoo?) for playing Quake back in the late 90's.

My first PC game, though, was Leisure Suit Larry in the Lando f hte Lounge Lizards, which was back in the late 80's.  25 years ago. 

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by bakabröd
    mine was for unreal 1.

Same deal for me

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo