Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What game did you buy your first video card for?

mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
It probably doesn't completely depend on your age but could be when you started to take gaming more seriously. Can you even think that far back? I had a flashback to when I was a novice to computer upgrades but very much into PC games. I believe it was Lego Island that forced me into buying a *gasp* graphics accellerator card in order to play the game. image

Comments

• ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210

I recall mine being a Voodoo, I think it was a Voodoo3 video card for Asherons Call.

Z.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Wow.  I don't remember.  Maybe The Seventh Guest?
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Was definitely a Voodoo but I'm not sure what for... Unreal Tournament maybe?

That was like.. '99 or so.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607
    One of the Wing Commander games if I recall correctly. 
  • GhernGhern Member UncommonPosts: 134

I bought my first Voodoo card to run Quake II.

Good times.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Bought a Voodoo 3 so I could play Everquest back in 1999.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Half life
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Dark Age of Camelot, back in 2002 because it was only guaranteed to work on about 10 tested video cards so I went out and bought one of them. (my current "Hercules" graphics card was not working on it)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    mine was for unreal 1.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    First real graphics card I bought for a game was a Matrox Millenium, with a whopping 4 Meg of VRAM. I needed it to make Tie Fighter run better. That was in 94 or there abouts.
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    It probably doesn't completely depend on your age but could be when you started to take gaming more seriously. Can you even think that far back? I had a flashback to when I was a novice to computer upgrades but very much into PC games. I believe it was Lego Island that forced me into buying a *gasp* graphics accellerator card in order to play the game. image

Well it's hard to say i was taking gaming seriously way before that, i begin with The Coleco Gemini and begin my way there with console gaming. For Pc i begin with game like police quest, king quest, hero quest and of course Larry.

So now for the question i think my first serious pc built with a good 3d card was when D2 got out approx. The card was a nvidia Geforce 2 MX 400. But i didnt buy it for only D2, there was a lots of new 3d games like Vampire the masquerade and The Sims. Some FPS too like Soldiers of fortune. I remember seeing all these game in some magazine so i bought a new pc for them.

O i almost forgot yeah before that i had a voodoo card but it was part of a pc i bought from a friend but that dont reallly count because i didnt choose what will be in the pc.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Voodoo 2 for Falcon 4.0 with 12(!) MB VRAM
  • DanbaccaDanbacca Member UncommonPosts: 247

1998 Monster Truck Madness 2 it was  Canopus 3DFX card. It worked with the video card you already had by using a pass through cable

Good times.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by Ghern

I bought my first Voodoo card to run Quake II.

Good times.

Ditto.

Can't remember if it was 3Dfx, TNT(nVidia) or S3.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    GW1.  The integrated card made the graphics look like origami.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

The first "3D" card I had was an S3 Virge... commonly known back then as a "3D Decelerator" card, since games using the 3D features actually ran slower (and often looked worse) than they did with regular software 3D rendering.

First actual 3D card was a 3dfx voodoo that I got mainly for Quake 2.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• SneakyRussianSneakyRussian Member Posts: 54
    Vodoo something for Everquest 1 :)!
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Diamond M Voodoo 1 around 97/98 for Quake. Ran Unreal stuff later on a V3.

Funnily though I always remember Comanche Max Overkill and Strike Commander more as a "wow god like graphics!!" moments lol.

I also recall being quite excited about the 0.5MB upgrade I got for my Amiga 500. Made the old C64 I had seem soo obsolete!

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Quake 1, the first 3D hardware accelerated game. I bought a Monster 3D (voodoo 1 chip).
  • SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    First video card I ever "bought" was an ATI Radeon 9600XT which I stuck in a stock Sony Vaio.  I just wanted some better framerates in the games I played, so I didn't purchase it for a specific game.  I will say that it made EverQuest a heck of a lot more playable.  I stuck the same card into my first gaming PC which I built for EQ2, so I guess we'll say I bought it for EQ2.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Quake 1.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Dark Age of Camelot, back in 2002 because it was only guaranteed to work on about 10 tested video cards so I went out and bought one of them. (my current "Hercules" graphics card was not working on it)

I must not have ever had one of the ten...That game always ran terrible on my PCs.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Voodoo 3 to run Freespace.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    I bought a Diamond Monster  II 12mb (was a lot of money at the time too) specifically for Quake 2. I played it professionally and if you didn't have a 3d video card, you were at a serious disadvantage.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by cura

AFAIR i bought Voodoo1 for Quake. EDIT: i also had S3 Virge but i didnt buy it for any particular game.

To spice things up ill ask what game did you buy your first sound car for. For me it was original Sound Blaster for Battle Isle. Next i bought Monster Sound 3d for Unreal 1. That card costed me fucking pile of money but i never regreted it hehe. Its 3d sound on headphones was unmatched. I have a feeling it could compete with todays x-fi's and such.

I still have never bought a sound card or had 5.1 sound.