Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] Torchlight 2: Kudos on a Job Well Done

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Runic Games' Torchlight II is the second big action RPG to be released in 2012. We've been putting TL2 through its paces and trying -not- to make comparisons to that other ARPG that released in May. See what we think of Torchlight 2 before adding your ideas to the comments.

In a year that I would call an ARPGer’s delight with both Torchlight II and Diablo III coming out, the comparisons between the two are very common. To my mind, however, while the two share certain genre-wide features, there is enough different to make owning both worthwhile.

So what makes Torchlight II such a great game? Let’s take a look.

Read more of Suzie Ford's Torchlight 2: Kudos on a Job Well Done.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Hmmm, a con is almost to m much loot.. Never think I would see the day when too much loot is a fault.

All in all I'm loving this game, more so than d3.. They looting system is less of a headache for me and it just moves faster without the need for run speed stuff..

Old blizz north still has it, and I hope TL 2 sells enough to help fund there mmo..
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Using a respec in this game will secretly label you as a 'cheater' online, sharing the same exact title with people who hack character lvls and items. Then you get persecuted by the online community for having this title 

for not wanting to waste your time remaking bad characters

and you will make bad characters, the tooltips are so poorly labeled and the game mechanics can be vague at times. not to mention the many useless skills

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Great game

Possibly the best game this year
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    No Battlenet-type thing killed it for me. I like games for the community and trading. A community sucks when anyone can easily manioulate their character into a beast via hack.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

Suzie...

I tend to enjoy reading your reviews as I feel they are as straight forward and honest as they come.  

I do have one criticism, and I am nitpicking

Under con, you list the art style.  Something like this is purely subjective.  Torch features that "cartoony", storybook flair and I personally feel its handled consistently throughout (UI, animations, textures, geometry, etc...).  Yes, I agree, it may turn someone off from the game.  But, someone else may find it charming - and is no different than any other "art style" we see in games.

In fact, you even give the game an "8" for its aesthetic and mention you find it appealing.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Come on, it is a fun game for the first week or so then it just becomes boring.  Yeah it is probably better than DIII, but then what isn't?  So giving the game a 10 for longevity is laughable, more like a 5 at best.  There is really nothing to keep you playing the game continuously.  Diablo II was a better game than this.  Why is it no one can even come close to what that game achieved, it is not rocket science?

When you give games that are just good a high score like this, you make your rating scale a joke.  Next time be at least a little bit critical. 

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Great game, I love it.  Only thing that I don't like so much is the "steam punk" style. But that's just me, :)
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I love when people complain about having to re-level character builds...

One of the biggest cons in D3 were the meaningless builds that destroyed replay value.

Why do you guys think D2 was played as long as it was? re-leveling new builds.

Honestly TL2 would be the new king of ARPG if it had ladders and pvp options.

Sadly it doesn't so D2 is still the better game.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Cons Almost too much loot - - - So if it's ALMOST too much, then it's nearly just enough. Art style not for everyone --- Thanks for pointing out the obvious with EVERY game. Some bugs in coop -- At least one of these isn't opinion and obvious one that everyone knows.

In all honestly, with your struggle to find any cons, those bugs in co-op must be a big deal to bring the game down 1.4 points from 10, 'cause that's the only REAL con I see here.

The way it reads, I would expect a 9.5 or something.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

[Deleted because I somehow posted a second time with the quote of my first message.]

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by Aviggin

Cons Almost too much loot - - - So if it's ALMOST too much, then it's nearly just enough. Art style not for everyone --- Thanks for pointing out the obvious with EVERY game. Some bugs in coop -- At least one of these isn't opinion and obvious one that everyone knows.

In all honestly, with your struggle to find any cons, those bugs in co-op must be a big deal to bring the game down 1.4 points from 10, 'cause that's the only REAL con I see here.

The way it reads, I would expect a 9.5 or something.

THIS ^

2/3rds of the cons frankly sound like nitpicking at subjective matter of taste. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66
    You don't hear this "art style" moan in borderlands reviews. Where cartoony is an excuse for lack of detail game looks like done in 2005. When the game is good an art style is the last thing that bothers you when you play it ^_^ and I don't like T2 visiuals and it goes back to Fate but that never stopped me to enjoy it a lot.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

While I have my own personal tastes when it comes to art/style... The first question I ask, does it accomplish what its attempting to do well and why/why not?

Here, the art is "cartoony" but its executed very well.  Animations, GUI, models, textures all play up the aesthetic.  So yes, if "cartoony" isn't your thing, it may impact your enjoyment of the game. However, that notion is true to any art style.  

TSW is a good example.  The game is moody, eerie and in a modern day setting.  Funcom does succeed.... mostly.  The animations and some of the particle effects are either poorly done or over done.  So there, I would argue the art is inconsistent (though I still enjoy the game very much).  Another good example would be when SOE decided to make SWG flashier will all sorts of "magical" particle effects.... just didn't work for me visually.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

nm

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Come on, it is a fun game for the first week or so then it just becomes boring.  Yeah it is probably better than DIII, but then what isn't?  So giving the game a 10 for longevity is laughable, more like a 5 at best.  There is really nothing to keep you playing the game continuously.  Diablo II was a better game than this.  Why is it no one can even come close to what that game achieved, it is not rocket science?When you give games that are just good a high score like this, you make your rating scale a joke.  Next time be at least a little bit critical. 

Amen. I wonder if the rating is placing it up against other games of this genre only. As a a middle of the road mmo would more depth than this type of game could ever have.

I hate cartoon graphics but the art style wouldn't keep me from playing this game as much as the dreadfully shallow type of game it is.
    Once you finish the game story.

There is a random map generator where you can use custom rules.

There's also facilities to use user made maps.

It's going on steamworks too.

So yeah its got more replayability than your typical arpg.
  • NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520
    Torchlight 2 is the BEST hack and Slash i have ever played period.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Oh and now I've played through it, and started 3 more playthrough for the other classes, although the story Is weaker, I think in most areas its a better game than diablo 2 never mind diablo 3.

The randomness and the amount of secret stuff, Easter eggs, puzzles etc.. is great.

The pet makes things better too, no more constant boring back to town trips.
    Nether:
    Agree. And free content updates, torched2 and steamworks support coming also.

I love gw2, but tl2 is goty for me.

Makes you wonder why blizzard north got shut down.
  • gimmesomegimmesome Member Posts: 362
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    *snip*

I love gw2, but tl2 is goty for me.

Makes you wonder why blizzard north got shut down.

Yes.    TL2 is def. game of the year for me too.         

All I know is, I'm happy Blizz North got shut down now that I see what happens when a group with that sort of talent is free from the Blizzard-chain.      D3 is a good example of what Blizzard thinks of it's customer$ now.    We are all just dollar signs to them.

Torchlight 1/2 was made for those of us that just want a good game to play with our friends, without having to commit a credit card number to an account in order to log in to play.   

Torchlight 2 is the best ARPG I've ever played.   Ever.   

There's a good chunk of blizzard north worked on gw2 too.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256

The lack of Real Money Auction House has killed it for me.

(lulz)

• crazynannycrazynanny Member Posts: 173

Want to highlight one thing. Torchlight predecessor is game series called FATE, NOT D2. Google it and you'll see same pet system, fishing and fame. Don't want to take away credit from Blizz North guys as TL 1 & 2 are fun and polished games but it's Runic under previous name ?Encore Software? who made tons of work for TL series.

TL 2 is a fun game for more casual players. Played it enjoyed it but I'll be back with D3 after 1.05 patch.

The 3 bosses of runic are the sheafer brothers from diablo 1 & 2, and the guy behind fate, where the pet comes from I agree.
  • Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Come on, it is a fun game for the first week or so then it just becomes boring.  Yeah it is probably better than DIII, but then what isn't?  So giving the game a 10 for longevity is laughable, more like a 5 at best.  There is really nothing to keep you playing the game continuously.  Diablo II was a better game than this.  Why is it no one can even come close to what that game achieved, it is not rocket science?

When you give games that are just good a high score like this, you make your rating scale a joke.  Next time be at least a little bit critical. 

Amen. I wonder if the rating is placing it up against other games of this genre only. As a a middle of the road mmo would more depth than this type of game could ever have. I hate cartoon graphics but the art style wouldn't keep me from playing this game as much as the dreadfully shallow type of game it is.

What the hell? You compare depth in two completely different genres? 

Yo dude you are sooo right Skyrim is so much deeper than Kirby...

*Rolls eyes*

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing