Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Why are you not playing Vanguard?

Comments

• NethermancerNethermancer Toronto, ONPosts: 520Member

Terrible free 2 play model

Silius is terrible

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• VercinVercin Frederick, MDPosts: 290Member

I got to level 50 on a cleric back when it released. It  could have been the sucessor to EQ if the engine had not been total crap.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• ProbertProbert Williamsport, PAPosts: 18Member

I played it have on char to max 55 and a few others in mid 30's and subbed before it went F2P, I was excited to play it again when it was going to go F2P. I even got a few my friends back into it after they heard it was going F2P, then it happened and I was very disappointed. It didnt fill right anymore and the pay model is horrible.

I got TSW and enjoying that right now I just dont see myself going back to VG its a great game I really enjoyed it and there is TONS to do. Crafting and Dipo is top notch, but I dont know what it is but it doesnt feel like it did when I was subbed playing with subbed players.

I hope the best for VG cause it should have been the game everybody played after eq1.

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Worcester, MAPosts: 166Member
    Originally posted by Nethermancer

Silius is terrible

It's the most open FTP model on the market except for Aion.

• truthhurtstruthhurts RICHMOND, VAPosts: 74Member
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey
    Originally posted by Nethermancer

Silius is terrible

It's the most open FTP model on the market except for Aion.

EQ2 I think is a tad better, but mostly agreed

• pupurunpupurun spartaPosts: 537Member Uncommon

i ve always wanted to play Vanguard, tried it for 2 times but i never got to play more than 3-4 days. This time was my chance to actually try it for more before subbing.The things that made me NOT sub and actually uninstall it .

1) Long distances between quests,NPC,hubs etc and no mount at early levels.

2) AWFUL+TERRIBLE quest tracking. A map filled with red and green dots.In 2012? I never asked for autopath but this is not acceptable. If i played 1 hour, its certain that 20 minutes was spend into understanding where exaclty is the place the quests were asking us to go.

3)Empty server . Cannot play at US server(which had a little more people) from EU with 260+ ms.  First time i see a game go FTP and not being filled with new players(EU server). No advertisement what so ever.

4)Melee battle animations , look cool, but are so limited. I think out of the majority of melee spells 50% of them have tha same animation, making grinding even more boring.

5)Lack of Global Chat at a FTP is proven that only discourages the nw player from getting into deeper waters and finally allowing himself to actually invest money on a game.

6) Lack of  PvP (at least duel)

7) Choppy performance at all settings (low or high) propably due to map loading in open areas.No wonder why most games are instanced these days. Large worlds are useless( see (1))

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member
    Originally posted by pupurun

i ve always wanted to play Vanguard, tried it for 2 times but i never got to play more than 3-4 days. This time was my chance to actually try it for more before subbing.The things that made me NOT sub and actually uninstall it .

Lol are you making this up just for attention? You do know that Vanguard has Riftways and rentable flying mounts that you control and on top of that you now get a free level 10 mount once you finish the isle of dawn.

Some people like the vastness of Vanguard,sorry you need more hand holding.

2) AWFUL+TERRIBLE quest tracking. A map filled with red and green dots.In 2012? I never asked for autopath but this is not acceptable. If i played 1 hour, its certain that 20 minutes was spend into understanding where exaclty is the place the quests were asking us to go.

Again,sorry Vanguard makes you have to actually think what you are doing and has a bit of discovery,GW2 is what you are looking for.

3)Empty server . Cannot play at US server(which had a little more people) from EU with 260+ ms.  First time i see a game go FTP and not being filled with new players(EU server). No advertisement what so ever.

Really,i am from the EU and i two box to clients on one PC,i never have a problem with ping,get a new server provider.The population has risen ten fold since FTP,their are alway people online even when the americans are asleep.

4)Melee battle animations , look cool, but are so limited. I think out of the majority of melee spells 50% of them have tha same animation, making grinding even more boring.

Hmm,ill give you a 50/50 on this but i really have no problem with it but animations are a talking point that need an upgrade.

5)Chat limitation at FTP is proven that only discourages the nw player from getting into deeper waters and finally allowing himself to actually invest money on a game.

Ill agree with you on thsi,i think it's to restrictive for new players,hopefully they will adress this.Vanguards combat system is actually very deep and rewarding.

http://chrome://newtabhttp//vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Combat

You do know that their is a PVP arena in Vanguard,it's up in the sky and you can port there or fly up their.It's in a level 48 plus area so it's not anything you will see unless you make an epic flying journey across Qalia.

http://chrome://newtabhttp//vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/PvP

7) Choppy performance at all settings (low or high) propably due to map loading in open areas.No wonder why most games are instanced these days. Large worlds are useless( see (1))

Not a problem for me to be honest,chunking takes a couple of seconds especially with an SSD.

I guess the game was just a bit hard for you,it can be a bit mind blowing but lucky for you their are games that cater for the more user friendly crowd.

GW2 is such a game,you really don't have to think much,just follow everyone else lol.

• mikeoffymikeoffy sheboygan, WIPosts: 25Member Uncommon
    I am not playing because when i logged in I could not use any of my gear becuase elite gear is not supported by the free version. I was like WTF. I deleted the game instantly. yes rage quit
  • IAmMMOIAmMMO LondonPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon
    Too old  and waste of time for me as I don't enjoy the mechanics, and I hate the feel that engine gives the game, or any game that engine was used for.
    Originally posted by mikeoffy
    I am not playing because when i logged in I could not use any of my gear becuase elite gear is not supported by the free version. I was like WTF. I deleted the game instantly. yes rage quit

I can understand this,i never agreed with it and hopefully this will be adressed.I'm not blind to the flaws in the FTP system but the poster i quoated was talking 80% rubbish and was basically saying that Vanguard was to hard for him lol.

• mikeoffymikeoffy sheboygan, WIPosts: 25Member Uncommon
    I agreed with all of your comments. 
  • aWRAYaWRAY Elk Grove, CAPosts: 84Member

Actually, I am playing and loving it. One of the few MMO's that actually plays like an RPG. 

Add me on Telon; Voldir 

• Scypheroth87Scypheroth87 Prince Albert, SKPosts: 14Member
    i would love to play this MMORPG...but for some reason i cant get it to run on my PC...dual monitors and a radeon 5770. when i get it installed and updated i click play and the screen flashes and then goes back to desktop...no error or anything...
  • pupurunpupurun spartaPosts: 537Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

Lol are you making this up just for attention? You do know that Vanguard has Riftways and rentable flying mounts that you control and on top of that you now get a free level 10 mount once you finish the isle of dawn.

I was talking about the early lvls. Long distances cost some people TIME. I havent got too much free time to waste it on travelling on open empty spaces.

Again,sorry Vanguard makes you have to actually think what you are doing and has a bit of discovery,GW2 is what you are looking for.

Again, since my time is limited, i DO like some exploration but some of the quests are a bit vague.Not to mention that they DO have a tracking system which of course sucks donkey balls

Really,i am from the EU and i two box to clients on one PC,i never have a problem with ping,get a new server provider.The population has risen ten fold since FTP,their are alway people online even when the americans are asleep.

I meant if i wanted a healthier population i have to connect to the US server from EU and accept the high ping.The EU server has a normal ping which is fine to me BUT there is no population

Hmm,ill give you a 50/50 on this but i really have no problem with it but animations are a talking point that need an upgrade.

agreed about the update

5)Chat limitation at FTP is proven that only discourages the nw player from getting into deeper waters and finally allowing himself to actually invest money on a game.

Ill agree with you on thsi,i think it's to restrictive for new players,hopefully they will adress this.Vanguards combat system is actually very deep and rewarding.

Interesting, thnx for the info

You do know that their is a PVP arena in Vanguard,it's up in the sky and you can port there or fly up their.It's in a level 48 plus area so it's not anything you will see unless you make an epic flying journey across Qalia.

Well i 'd rather have an open world area for pvp or at least a duel mode but certainly not at so late lvls

Not a problem for me to be honest,chunking takes a couple of seconds especially with an SSD.

Might be the reason...still many use those

I guess the game was just a bit hard for you,it can be a bit mind blowing but lucky for you their are games that cater for the more user friendly crowd.

I've played DARKFALL, ISTARIA, AGE OF CONAN, LOTRO ,DC UNIVERSE(another bad game at quest tracking) and tbh almost all mmos out there...even wow for a month(i swear). I dont like hand holding but i DO hate vague quests like "Kill the bad monster that has green colour and lives around the big rock next to the river north of that town you came from" in an area full of round rocks and rivers when north of the hub there is NO ROUND ROCK or river.   :) 

GW2 is such a game,you really don't have to think much,just follow everyone else lol.

GW2 hasn't convinced me yet.Sorry

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I was talking about the early lvls. Long distances cost some people TIME. I havent got too much free time to waste it on travelling on open empty spaces.

Early levels,how early do you want it lol.If you start on the isle of dwan then you really don't need a mount until level ten.If you start on the normal world then their are riftways and rentable flying mounts as i've said already.

Again, since my time is limited, i DO like some exploration but some of the quests are a bit vague.Not to mention that they DO have a tracking system which of course sucks donkey balls

Again, ill stick to my original answer to this.

I meant if i wanted a healthier population i have to connect to the US server from EU and accept the high ping.The EU server has a normal ping which is fine to me BUT there is no population.

Again that's just being picky lol,i don't know anyone who has this compliant,they want to play on a populated server and moving to telon provides that.The ping has never been an issue for me and my whole european guild.

agreed about the update

Interesting, thnx for the info

Well i 'd rather have an open world area for pvp or at least a duel mode but certainly not at so late lvls

Did you read what i said lol and the link.You can duel from level 8 and nothing is stopping you from getting to the arena,it's just an epic journey for an early level player.Best thing you can do is hitch a ride on a ship or boat then rent a flying mount.

Vanguard used to have two full open PVP serverwith no restrictions,they have said that if the population keeps getting better then they will look into another pvp server.You must understand that Vanguard has always been a mainly PVE game.

Might be the reason...still many use those

I really can't recommend SSD enough not just gaming but everyday use of your system.Booting up windows is unreal and loding times in gaming really is fast.One of the best buys i've done for years.

I've played DARKFALL, ISTARIA, AGE OF CONAN, LOTRO ,DC UNIVERSE(another bad game at quest tracking) and tbh almost all mmos out there...even wow for a month(i swear). I dont like hand holding but i DO hate vague quests like "Kill the bad monster that has green colour and lives around the big rock next to the river north of that town you came from" in an area full of round rocks and rivers when north of the hub there is NO ROUND ROCK or river.   :) 

Fair enough.

GW2 hasn't convinced me yet.Sorry

Mate i was a big fan and i was in full beta and attended gamescom three years running but i've since fell out of love with it.Ill jump in now and then but it really does lack any depth.

I tried Darkfall at release but didn't really like but the latest news on the new Darkfall has me very excited to be honest.

• skydiver12skydiver12 burgundPosts: 432Member

Combat system and so one core of the game.

The combat visually is totally out of sync to your skills, also the range of melee and ranged attacks including the server lag results in a random throw of damage numbers popping up and massiv air slashing (like 10 meters away you strike an enemy with your sword).

In short, the combat feels like button smashing and watching health bars, because what happens on the screen (skill / combat animations, mob positions) is totally not resembling what you are currently doing (or being done to).

The animations are not that bad themselves, quite good sometimes.

In short i'm feeling forced to play a number game watching bars, instead of watching (or actively part-taking in the combat) with proper visual indicators. You can't trust mob positions and attack directions that much. = awkward combat feel. I don't care for diplomacy as a grind game instead of an option either.

• WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    In fact yes, why to play Vanguard if i have wow :)

Because WoW sucks imo.. Sry but it does....Don't ask me why I just hate it

• zimikezimike Dayton, TXPosts: 129Member Uncommon

Vanguard was a great game. The only thing holding me back from playing, would be the lack of a sustained playerbase.  

If somehow the population would explode, then I would be back in a heart beat.

I cannot see this game making a comeback. 

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by zimike

Vanguard was a great game. The only thing holding me back from playing, would be the lack of a sustained playerbase.  

Er, you realize that all the devs came back, it went free to play, and has had a huge population boom, right?

And OP I AM playing the game. No reason not to. It's got the best PvE in the industry bar none right now. Amazing dungeons with lots of challenging group content.

• ZefireZefire lol, CAPosts: 676Member
    Originally posted by tuppe99

Installed the game last night and it actually does not look bad at all.

The graphics is not worse that WoW for instance and looking at the Unofficial trailer on youtube that someone on these forums posted the link to, the game looks to be much more like what a lot of people on these forums want.

So, why are you not playing it?

Sometimes I think no game will ever satisfy us MMOers on these forums. Or we all play WoW secretly ;)

because the graphics are bad the animation are bad the art design is bad the performance is bad.

• erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Er, you realize that all the devs came back, it went free to play, and has had a huge population boom, right?

And OP I AM playing the game. No reason not to. It's got the best PvE in the industry bar none right now. Amazing dungeons with lots of challenging group content.

Well your dev team tripled in size that is the truth.  However a huge population boom??  I just looked at the server status for telon it is still sitting at medium.  Better than this time 3 months ago sitting at low.  One server at medium is not huge by any standard.

• shinkanshinkan BestinPosts: 229Member

SOE...

Played it before SOE took over.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Talahasee, FLPosts: 2,556Member
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Well your dev team tripled in size that is the truth.  However a huge population boom??  I just looked at the server status for telon it is still sitting at medium.  Better than this time 3 months ago sitting at low.  One server at medium is not huge by any standard.

For a "dead" MMO not at primetime, that's pretty good.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon
       I am playing Vanguard but is to much to ask that they at least attempt to fix the lag and hitching?  This has been going on for years and it does not seem to matter how good of a computer you have.  It is a disgrace for sony to charge anything for this game unless they fix performance first.  Dont get me wrong I like the game and I put up with the lag even though it is annoying, but they will never get a big player base unless they improve it
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Somewhere Out There, PAPosts: 2,320Member Uncommon
    I gave it a try. It's not bad, but it's not the kind of game you can just dive into, it's more for those that have to the time to really invest into the small things, like a willingness to wander around for hours and still not find the thing you're looking for. Not that there aren't still plenty of gamers out there who like that kind of thing, they're all just busy playing other things :P

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."