Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling rapid decay of enthusiasm

123457»

Comments

• ThaVampThaVamp Member Posts: 48

Personally I feel quite the opposite. At early levels I got bored of the classes quite quickly and I made like 6 alts. It wasn't untill lvl 40 that I found out that my guardian was actually quite nice to play, so I've been bleing him up untill now. Since then I've really been into the story and had really great fun. 

I still don't really see me playing this as long as I for example did with WoW. I feel that I bought all the skills I would like to have and since my current build works quite fine, I don't feel no real need to try out other stuff. Then again, I'll probably finish the story line and by then I've been playing for a pretty long time. Quite a good value for a 50 euro game without any aditional cost.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by dariuszp

1. Do ANYTHING for couple of days, day by day for few hours and you will get bored. This is why most people hate their jobs. At least those who have taks that they repeat over and over. 

2. What you are describing is simple "burn out". Take a break, play something else. You eather stop or come back. It's like with favorite song. Listen to that one song again and again and in time you will even start to hate it. Take a break and you will enjoy it again. I have a blast with GW2 probably mostly because I can't play it as often as I want.

3. You have both horizontal and vertical progression. Skills alone is not enough. You need to learn how to use it properly. And then test your skills in PVP. For me PVP is main point of this game. They could remove PVE content and I would never care about that.

4. Game don't lack trinity or real teamwork. It's quite oposite. Every aspect of the game is design for groups. And on top of that you have trinity. But they didn't "fix" your role sofrom the day 1 to last you can only heal a tank or be a punching bag (tank itself). You have active tanking (agro, dodge, shielding etc) and healing is a support. You don't have dedicated healers that can heal you even if someone shoot a rocket in your face like in TOR, WOW or RIFT.

About TOR:

If you like TOR - you don't like MMORPG at all. Tor is linear, solo oriented, very simple and static pseudo-mmo (more like co-op than MMO) and quite boring (99% of content is kill & fetch quests) online game. Oposite of GW2.

This is rich.  If you call TOR a pseudo-MMO, what do you consider GW2?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by NBlitz

For anyone complaining about people not creaming their pants over GW2 and making a post about it on the forums: be happy.

Once people stop making posts about it and simply quit the game without saying as much as a word...is when you should start complaining and asking "Where did everybody go?"

We are not complaining about that - what we do take issue with (just ast TOR, TERA< and TSW players did) is the 'Nagative Nancy's' on this forum. They do nothing but belittle everything and give NO CONSTRUCTIVE criticism at all. It is mostly those posters that are the 'DOOM and GLOOM' experts and the ones posting in threads like these, like you, for example.

The game does have it's negatives and positives - all games designs are compromises based on what the game designers want to put in. If there was a game that has something for everyone, would anyone play it? Probably not - people feel the need to complain.

This is not a fan site though. People are free to post negative and positive opinions. Argue with them, disagree with them as much as you like but what is not cool is to tell them to go away or stop posting.

As long as OP is not being disrespectful or attacking anyone personaly i don't see why he and others are not allowed to post their opinions about the game.

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Thillian
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Thillian
    It was obvious that this game has no lasting potential. Anet knew well why they aren't making this a subscription game. I'm surprised to see that it took the whole month for some people to realize that they weren't actually enjoying the game in the first place, they were basically enjoying the release of a new MMO coupled with the hope and accompanying hype that this is something new that will last for years, which blurred their vision on the game itself. GW2 is easily the most shallow and solo-oriented MMO so far with basically no potential at all, since its core mechanics are lacking any meaningful progression and purpose, even beating SWTOR in that matter.

I can't speak for others, but I did and still do enjoy the game.  Prior to launch, I was very very skeptical about this game.  Some even called me a hater and various other things.

I just really don't enjoy leveling a character past level 10 any more.   To achieve maximum enjoyment, I find my brain needs to sort of shut down while I play (in contrast to my preferred MMOs where I actually need to focus and think).  If my brain starts working, I start thinking and the thinking about what I am playing is where the breakdown occurs for me.  I have to keep it on a visceral level.

You don't like leveling, are you sure you like RPGs then? Because leveling and character progression is the prime feature of RPG.

Is this meant for me?  I like character progression in my RPG.  Leveling tied to character progression?  Great.  Leveling tied to nothing?  Not so much.  (I've stated this earlier in this thread, by the way).

still curious how you don't feel the trait system offers you progression.. higher I get more options in builds I get to play with.. so far with every class I have played I'm completely changing my play style every 5-10 levels... to me that's far and away better than being locked into one role and getting fireball XIV at max level and a talent to only add +5% damage to that fireball... in my opinion gw2 offers plenty of incentive and reasons to want to level your character...

I think I've elaborated pretty in-depth as to why I don't feel it's enough.  I also mentioned previously that I'm not a fan of new abilities simply being "buffed" versions of previous ones (it's a lazy mechanic).

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Elikal

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm.

People (counter-intuitively) expect new games to solve their ennui issues, instead of just compounding them.

"Same peanut butter and jelly sandwich, day after day after day after day....groan..."

"Oooh look, a new brand of peanut butter!  This should solve everything!"

? huh ?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm.

People (counter-intuitively) expect new games to solve their ennui issues, instead of just compounding them.

"Same peanut butter and jelly sandwich, day after day after day after day....groan..."

? huh ?

I equate it more akin to in the past he was able to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches which used "crunchy" peanut butter, but since 2004 manufacturers stopped making crunchy peanut butter because most people don't like how it tastes and therefore all peanut butter since then (except for a few very low quality, bug infested imports) has been the creamy variety.

No matter how much they try to jazz up creamy peanut butter, it will never satisfy what he's looking for.

Food analogies are fun. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Icewhite

? huh ?

Well, to be fair, I don't think most people (I said most) whom frequent this board actually expected GW2 to solve all their problems. 

But I see your point.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

For anyone complaining about people not creaming their pants over GW2 and making a post about it on the forums: be happy.

Once people stop making posts about it and simply quit the game without saying as much as a word...is when you should start complaining and asking "Where did everybody go?"

We are not complaining about that - what we do take issue with (just ast TOR, TERA< and TSW players did) is the 'Nagative Nancy's' on this forum. They do nothing but belittle everything and give NO CONSTRUCTIVE criticism at all. It is mostly those posters that are the 'DOOM and GLOOM' experts and the ones posting in threads like these, like you, for example.

The game does have it's negatives and positives - all games designs are compromises based on what the game designers want to put in. If there was a game that has something for everyone, would anyone play it? Probably not - people feel the need to complain.

Their have been many contructive criticism posts/threads on this forum about GW2.The problem is that most  of the GW2 fans can't handle anything negative said about the game.Don't make out that you except contructive criticism when the evidence point to otherwise.

I could link tons of contructive criticism post and show you how the over the top fans turn it into a learn how to play thread or go back to panda land lol,like every person who has issue with the game comes from WOW.

You don't want anything negative said about the game at all and if that's the case then you are on the wrong site.Perhaps you should head on over to the official forums or guru where 99% of the post are glowing reports.

If it's to hot in the kitchen i get out.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    I liked the old GW skill bar better. This new one isn't  flexible enough. Also too many skills have cool downs. It doesn't take long before all you can do is auto attack.

All die, so die well.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Like me?

A few of my posts about GW2 leading up to its release.

The true test to all this blabla on both sides will come down to when the games have matured a bit. Wasn't everyone foaming at the mouth over SWTOR?

I hope we visit the same topic, 3 months after the launch of each title. That's when the cracks start to show.

"This community brings the goods. I can't wait for the weeks following launch. You'll reap what you sowed."

"Threads like these is why some people "attack" GW2 or its fans with blanket statements."

Originally posted by Gamefun
    I agree, Blizzard is definitely shivering in there boots over Guild Wars 2.

Just like with all the other titles about to launch and their overexcited fans.

Since I'm not wearing ANet-elevating-to-God-status-rose-tinted-glasses I'll have to go with the panda.
    They could've mocappped the shit out of the panda but didn't ^^
    Also not forgetting that the dance differs for both genders, from the get go.
    But nothing big a little cash shop can't fix.

If posts like these make me a "'DOOM and GLOOM' expert", so be it. I can totally live with that. image

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by halflife25

This is not a fan site though. People are free to post negative and positive opinions. Argue with them, disagree with them as much as you like but what is not cool is to tell them to go away or stop posting.

As long as OP is not being disrespectful or attacking anyone personaly i don't see why he and others are not allowed to post their opinions about the game.

The problem is there is nothing CONSTRUCTIVE in the post. Just, 'Ho hum - I am bored' and then moves on to 'If I am bored everyone must be feeling the same thing'.  If you do the same thing day in and day out you will get bored - that is a fact.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

The problem is there is nothing CONSTRUCTIVE in the post. Just, 'Ho hum - I am bored' and then moves on to 'If I am bored everyone must be feeling the same thing'.  If you do the same thing day in and day out you will get bored - that is a fact.

Straight out of the OP,  reasons why he thinks he's bored:

"my story is bug-stuck with level 50"

"oh my, another heart gather some phooey something"  ---> "I sort of miss the more directed, guided, dense approach of real questlines"

"I didn't learn ANY new abilities for ages" ---> "Looking forward to new abilities always was a major drive in MMOs for me."

"Lack of trinity and real teamwork also starts to feel more lacking now that I play a longer time, and I feel like everyone is a soloer and jack of all trades and rarely anyone ever groups or talks."

And this was a SHORT OP! Goodness me.

How much more constructive must one be to not get jumped on these subforums? Did he need to go into detail, what he feels needs to be changed? I'm not sure I would agree with that. That's not his job.

One thing I can conclude is he needs to move on. The direction the game is headed and the design decisions do not mesh with him.

Others who do like the same things as Elikal will read this and go: oh, not my kind of game then.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm. Like I log in less and feel less inclined to continue to play ANY of my chars.

My main is Warrior lv 66, (where on top, my story is bug-stuck with level 50), and I just could not bring myself to play today, despite being bored. I can't even say exactly why.

I just feel "oh my, another heart gather some phooey something". And what DEFINITELY starts to bug me: I didn't learn ANY new abilities for ages. Besides some extras, my chars have the same skills as they had with level 5. Looking forward to new abilities always was a major drive in MMOs for me. And this heart thing... hm. I enjoyed it at first, but now it feels kinda boring. I sort of miss the more directed, guided, dense approach of real questlines, which deliver a story more clear and coherent. Lack of trinity and real teamwork also starts to feel more lacking now that I play a longer time, and I feel like everyone is a soloer and jack of all trades and rarely anyone ever groups or talks.

Sigh.

Not sure. Just a sort of feeling.

EDIT: I never thought I'd say that, but I liked the quests and classes from SWTOR better. Sue me...

To be fun through many levels, new goodies must be evenly split. Ok, at start usually there are more condensed.

Have purchased gw2 aprox 2 weeks before MOP and had a blast in this time, GW2 so far is very positive surprise. Never would expected something like that from non sub based game. And despite playing constantly now MOP with all my 10 (11) alts ... my thoughts wanders from time to time to GW2. For sure when i will have enjoyed enough of MOP I will be back. Still my game list is 1. SWTOR, 2. WOW, 3. Rift or maybe already Gw2 (this I will be able to tell when I had leveled at least one alt to max, in rift have 2 so far).

What worries me at gw2 however is what you said at higher levels. Have so far 8 alts from 10 to 15 level only. But already skills are accumulating without any place to put them. And same problem have kids of friend of mine, both have aprox  60 or 65 single chars .. started new one out of boredom last time was speaking to them.

I had kind'a same problem with TSW ... spells or abilities that were good at lv. 5 stayed with me also after 2 weeks of gameplay. Nothing new or better or at least more fun to use. Of, very few of them.

But I guess same problem will be with MOP. In 5 levels, worth month or so of average time gameplay, only 1 candy? Not my kind of fun. At aprox 87 new spell (for some classes great for some ... well, meh, got new ability) ... and then finnaly 1 single point to spent in talents after months of playing. I would prefer getting to same result investing 5 points with every single level even if result /effect at the end would be the same.

Some could have no problem with this but main enjoyment for me is as for you getting constantly something new or improved at least.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

I am sorry but no where he stated his opinion as a fact. This is the problem here. Fans get too defensive and make up imaginary scenarios in their mind.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Iknow I am only playing about one third of the time I was playing. Down to around 4 to 5 hours a day now. The first couple of weeks after release I was doing 12 hours a day plus

I miss DAoC

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My wife and I are still loving this game. Dont see me playing any other MMO for a long time.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Iknow I am only playing about one third of the time I was playing. Down to around 4 to 5 hours a day now. The first couple of weeks after release I was doing 12 hours a day plus

You make that sound like a bad thing. Go out side and go for a walk. 12hr a day on any game in the end will sap the enjoyment. Down to 5hr a day? Thats like watching 2 full leangth movies. Thats a long time! Try giving the game a rest and come back in a few days.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768

One of the problems I find after reaching level 80 is that the skills 1-5 seem boring as heck, those skills need to be upgraded,  sometimes in a boss fight or Champion fight I wish my 1-5 skills had more impact or damage, seems silly the lack of deeper skills 1-5 (these are the skills you get when you combine weapons for those who dont get what I am talking about).

I believe these skills need a revamp create level I-V for this skills, unlocking level V when you reach level 80 and giving you more power on your attacks or combos etc.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm. Like I log in less and feel less inclined to continue to play ANY of my chars.

My main is Warrior lv 66, (where on top, my story is bug-stuck with level 50), and I just could not bring myself to play today, despite being bored. I can't even say exactly why.

I just feel "oh my, another heart gather some phooey something". And what DEFINITELY starts to bug me: I didn't learn ANY new abilities for ages. Besides some extras, my chars have the same skills as they had with level 5. Looking forward to new abilities always was a major drive in MMOs for me. And this heart thing... hm. I enjoyed it at first, but now it feels kinda boring. I sort of miss the more directed, guided, dense approach of real questlines, which deliver a story more clear and coherent. Lack of trinity and real teamwork also starts to feel more lacking now that I play a longer time, and I feel like everyone is a soloer and jack of all trades and rarely anyone ever groups or talks.

Sigh.

Not sure. Just a sort of feeling.

EDIT: I never thought I'd say that, but I liked the quests and classes from SWTOR better. Sue me...

To be honest, I think this is where your stance on not making MMOs harder clashes with your wanting to have fun for a long time.

When games are easy, they get boring fast. If you want easy games you must accept that you will be bored of them in just a few weeks tops.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Arena Net made a huge misstake by allowing you to get most of your skills by level 50. It is like they ran out of ideas for skills or something because those last levels should give you your most powerful skills but they dont give you shit except some passive trait bonuses.

I doubt they ran out of ideas for skills. GW1 literally has thousands of skills. They limited skills because they wanted to balance it easier.

Be that as it may, and I agree with you, I still think they made a mistake allowing you to unlock them all prior to hitting 80. I know loads of people who are unhappy about progression in the 60-80 range. That said, I am only 35 with my highest, so I am not so worried about it yet.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I have a level 80, 60, 25, 19, and 2.  I don't feel any less desire to log in now than I did on day one.  THERE'S SO MUCH STUFFS TO DO!  MUST PLAY NOW!

Steam: Neph

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by redman875
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Yamota
    those last levels should give you your most powerful skills

I have to wonder - who says?  This is not strictly a defense of ANet, it's just that I see so many people complaining that this or that MMO does not do something exactly the same as another MMO, or worse, the most popular MMO/s.  We'll never break away from WoW clones completely if no one changes anything.

Who says?  Yamota says...and not just him.

Wow didnt create that process of progression and its not limited to themeparks.

Removing rewards for progression was really a dumb move for this game, as was their decision to remove an entire class role and ignore any form of endgame..

People look, play, and feel the same from what...level 5 untill max level?  Yeah sounds fun /s

I think thats pre-mature.  Lets come back 6 months, 1 year from now and see where GW2 is then.  Its community will determine if its 'dumb' or not.  

The gamble is - does an audience exist who likes this particular style of playing/gaming.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This is basically the same topic as this: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365855

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.