Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why WoW has been continually successful - "It's the content stupid!"

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Draemos

it's actually the engine.  The modability of the UI, the smoothness of the gameplay, the responsiveness of the combat system, the flexibility and crispness of game AI and design systems, the arts styles way of maintaining a somewhat modern look.  WoW has went through several content droughts.

I would call it good programming and design, but it is basically the same as you said, yes.

I dont feel that Wos content in itself is better than thta of many other games, but Blizzard have programmers far better than the average MMO.

If Wow had the guys who programmed Everquest I just dont see it getting more than 20% of its current subs.

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

easy to figure out why.

kids control 80% of game market.

kids love cartoon and fast win

wow give them both to them

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Why WoW has been continually successful - "It's the stupid people!"

Seriously though, there are a number of reasons contributing to it's success, not just one.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• gexz7gexz7 Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by nsignific

I just realized something right now.

It's astonishing.

A lot of you actually believe that ASIANS care about shit like Pandas and asian settings enough to make them buy into things :) HONESTLY, I only now realized how incredibly insane some of you are (I'm sorry if that's offensive, but the racist bullshit I just witnessed is far more so).

Do you people really believe they made Kung Fu panda for the Chinese? I mean, can you swear to God and claim that you believe that? Really? REALLY??

P.S.: sidenote, Kung Fu Panda made only 2% of it's box office in China. Bottom line, Pandaren are not in there to cater to the asian playerbase, get it into your thick heads already.

Fact in the USA we have no Zoos with Pandas and when we do, we borrow them from one country, China.  Second Pandas are mythical and spiritual to the Chinese people and have been for over two million years.  Many gold farming companies are in China, what better way to keep this group entertained then to insert cultural and historical references?  Therefore, the next time you call us racists maybe you ought to evaluate the true context of racism.  Its not racist to promote a belief of a people and according to your theory since here in America we have racists or hate groups we should have a ton of movies and games with Martin King Luther or Malcolm X.  True story we have none but we do have folks who are racists, racism never promotes a happy feeling in anything certainly not a game. 

Panda as referred to by the Chinese means large bearcat, 

My friend you are insane for thinking that somehow this expansion is racist, maybe you are the racist. Kung Fu Panda probably did badly in China because it was comical, desecrated a fighting tradition and attempted to Americanize a cultural reference adored by its people, and was a Childs movie that at 2% still was viewed by 20 million Chinese people!

• KingGatorKingGator Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Rusque

Mods please pardon the James Carville reference, it's not directed at anyone.

For the longest time people have attributed WoW's success on marketing and catering to casuals. With the release of MoP and with so many big games that came out prior that just didn't have staying power, I think the pattern has become much more clear.

It's the content. The amount of content more specifically. WoW doesn't cater to casuals, though it's bar to entry is quite low, that bar has great range for it's highest level of gameplay (many will argue, but that's not this thread). WoW caters to content locusts. When the content locust article came out and pointed to this group of people who run to every new game, hype it, and consume it within days or weeks, it showcased how new games seemed like they didn't have enough content.

But if we really look at WoW, both currently and historically, it's been about longevity of content. Oftentimes there are artificial limiters (like dailies) but Blizzard found a way to cater to the locusts way back in 2004 (probably without knowing it at that time, but has since perfected it).

Content locusts not only consume as quickly as they can, they are determined to consume everything (or most of it). So if you have raid content, they want to finish it. But not just finish it, they also want to do it on hardmode. But then they also want the achievements. But then they also want to gear the legendaries. But then they also want to get rare mounts and pets. And so on.

Blizzard has stuffed WoW with so many different types of content, that the locusts can't just show up, finish everything in 2 weeks and then go on to the next. Much of it may be easy to complete (hence the idea that WoW caters to casuals), but there's just so much of it so as to appease the locusts.

Basically, WoW answers the questions, "So what's next?" In so many other games, people run to the forums and say, "I'm max level, I've done this and this, what else is there to do? So and so failed."  But in WoW, there is almost no end to the available content, which is why there is more burnout. I know, on these forums especially, that many here simply don't like WoW's questing or combat style or some combination of things.

MoP is very close to Burning Crusade level change. WotLK and Cata were simply refinements (or for some, dumbing down) - but BC was essentially modern WoW while Vanilla was Everquest+. BC brought arenas, "welfare" pvp epics, badge gear, heroics. It is one of the most highly praised expansions and most people's favorite.

MoP, while not as drastic, is functioning in a similar manner - again creating more content for the ever hungry locusts.  Pet battles, both pve and pvp are basically an entire game in and of itself. It has much more depth than people are giving it credit for and you will see that people are going to take it quite seriously, and the rarer pets spawn at certain times of day or year or under specific conditions - that's awesome. 

They revamped the talent and glyph system and some classes have completely new resource management. For any casual player, WoW has more entertainment value than any other game, you can play it forever and still have more content to do. But that's why it's also a hit for the locusts, they just can't consume it all in a time frame that would make it look like it's failling.

You really see drops in WoW population after certain mile markers, 3 months, 1 year, 2 years, few months before next expansion. Other games have been showing huge drop offs in 2-4 weeks. Again because people can chew through content like crazy. Now, none of this means that WoW isn't slowly fading, but some of the things which people generally despise (raids, dailies, grinding) are actually what create longevity of content. With nothing to work towards, people just leave.

Da locusts, gotta feed em.

He's totally right swtor didn't fail because it used mmorpg combat and maintained the trinity, that is what mmorpg players like. Need proof? Basically the only successful mmorpg right now is WoW.  Swtor failed because they delivered garbage content post 50 and class balance in pvp is broken. People like classes, roles, tab targeting and mmorpg style combat, if you want an fps game planet side is coming for your soon, but that is not an mmorpg. 

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I say it is several things

First it is the engine, WoW wil run on virtually any comnputer from a hand me down 4th generation laptop on up

Second WoW took EQ1 and eliminated a lot of the suckier parts, at least in the initial levelling

WoW made playing MMO's easy. I have  a neighbor who is horrible at games. She has to go into god mode to play any single payer FPS, RPG, or RTS. But as long as she stands where her hubby tells her to and spams the keys he tells her to she can raid in WoW with the best of them. She loves MOP and is mad at me for making fun of her newest character, she even made a panda character for her 8 year old son to play.

I miss DAoC

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Many of the things people are saying here are correct.  One thing blizzard has done really well is appeal to Teen agers of which make up a huge amount of WOW's population. The kids are great at talking their parents into giving them the bucks to play it, it really is a great game for the 8-17 yr old set
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Many of the things people are saying here are correct.  One thing blizzard has done really well is appeal to Teen agers of which make up a huge amount of WOW's population. The kids are great at talking their parents into giving them the bucks to play it, it really is a great game for the 8-17 yr old set

Can i see your stats for that?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Shadoed

yes we know. first the cool ppl jumped to war. after rift and then swtor. now all the cool and mature ppl playing gw2, leaving the 9? million of 8-17yrs old playing wow...we got it man

just a question. those 2-3 millions subs that lost wow were 8-17 or mature ppl? cause if there is a descent % of 8-17 that stopped wow, you can guess what they are playing now, right ?   :)

I will show you my stats if you show me your college transcripts, birth certificate and tax returns for the last 6 years :) It should be fairly obvious, look at the chat, check the guilds and see how many ask for players 18 and over please (not many), when you group talk to your fellow groupies and you will see their maturity level.   Hey dont get me wrong there has to ba a place for young kids and teens to play an mmo and WOW has provided it for them, However being older I naturally like to play with adults

I will show you my stats if you show me your college transcripts, birth certificate and tax returns for the last 6 years :) It should be fairly obvious, look at the chat, check the guilds and see how many ask for players 18 and over please (not many), when you group talk to your fellow groupies and you will see their maturity level.   Hey dont get me wrong there has to ba a place for young kids and teens to play an mmo and WOW has provided it for them, However being older I naturally like to play with adults

I see chat every day, i am in a guild that asks for 16yo and over with most of our guild being 20's & 30's which can be vouched for having met a few myself and i can tell you now that i have never seen an 8-17yo drink like the guys from Norway.

As for one of your other notes there, age is no measure of maturity in any way what so ever, so we can scratch that before we even start.

Smack talk the gameplay all you like, although why people feel the need to try and prove to themselves so hard that this game is so bad still amazes me, but the subscription alone makes this a much less attractive prospect for younger players than say, GW2 for example.

I would still love to see your 'proof' or 'facts' behind your statements, but as with everyone else that drops the same old rhetoric into any and all posts on this forum i don't expect that there is any to be had.

I see chat every day, i am in a guild that asks for 16yo and over with most of our guild being 20's & 30's which can be vouched for having met a few myself and i can tell you now that i have never seen an 8-17yo drink like the guys from Norway.

As for one of your other notes there, age is no measure of maturity in any way what so ever, so we can scratch that before we even start.

Smack talk the gameplay all you like, although why people feel the need to try and prove to themselves so hard that this game is so bad still amazes me, but the subscription alone makes this a much less attractive prospect for younger players than say, GW2 for example.

I would still love to see your 'proof' or 'facts' behind your statements, but as with everyone else that drops the same old rhetoric into any and all posts on this forum i don't expect that there is any to be had.

Kind of sensitive LOL,  Nothing wrong with being a fanboy as long as you show some objectivity and you are not showing very much. That is great that you are in a guild that wants players older than 16 they are few and far between. Let me ask you a question, how old are you?   It does not take a wizard to figure out who on wow is 12 and who is 35, it just takes common sense.  If you think that WOW came out with a Panda expansion to attract 25 yr olds and up then you need to rethink your comments. Like I said great game for young players and teens- simple easy content, colorfull graphics like a cartoon, super easy combat, what is not to love if you are 12.  I am not talking smack just making honest observations

Originally posted by papardelios
    Originally posted by Jackdog

I say it is several things

First it is the engine, WoW wil run on virtually any comnputer from a hand me down 4th generation laptop on up

Second WoW took EQ1 and eliminated a lot of the suckier parts, at least in the initial levelling

WoW made playing MMO's easy. I have  a neighbor who is horrible at games. She has to go into god mode to play any single payer FPS, RPG, or RTS. But as long as she stands where her hubby tells her to and spams the keys he tells her to she can raid in WoW with the best of them. She loves MOP and is mad at me for making fun of her newest character, she even made a panda character for her 8 year old son to play.

and i guess GW2 is more difficult and if she was creating an asura character  to her son, would be more serious, right?

what a crap...

try googling worlds youngest WoW player, there are a lot of player younger than him. I promised him I would teach him to circle and side strafe so he can kick mommy's tail in PvP, LOL

I mean seriously it's not just WoW. NO MMORPG is hard, I mean it's not chess and even a FPS or RTS takes more more skills and planning. In a MMORPG you just repeat the same thing over and over. MMORPG's are not meant to be strategy or twitch games they were intended to be social RPG

With most you don't even need to move in PvE, a few of the newer games you do need to try and dodge a bit but it still ain't FPS style combat

BTW on the first part you highlighted I was referring to the computer specs, raid hubs with exclamation marks and doing away with 4 hour corpse runs ala EQ1, and guilds having to stake out a mob waiting for it to spawn for 4 or 5 days . It was meant as a complimentt

I miss DAoC

• kxmodekxmode Member UncommonPosts: 36

NO MMORPG is hard

Have you ever played EVE Online or Anarchy Online?

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Draemos

it's actually the engine.  The modability of the UI, the smoothness of the gameplay, the responsiveness of the combat system, the flexibility and crispness of game AI and design systems, the arts styles way of maintaining a somewhat modern look.  WoW has went through several content droughts.

And the fact that the support is actually reasonability responsive and the fact that the dev staff do listen and take polled opinions seriously (maybe a bit too much in some case).

Not just WoW, majority of the game that Blizzard made has been a hit. It is the company, not the game the won.

WoW itself is getting old, and it is natural for things to wither and die. However I got a feeling that whatever is coming up next (Titan) probably won't fail either because of their practice of doing things the right way - as long as they can maintaina nd improve on that, that is.

Kind of sensitive LOL,  Nothing wrong with being a fanboy as long as you show some objectivity and you are not showing very much. That is great that you are in a guild that wants players older than 16 they are few and far between. Let me ask you a question, how old are you?   It does not take a wizard to figure out who on wow is 12 and who is 35, it just takes common sense.  If you think that WOW came out with a Panda expansion to attract 25 yr olds and up then you need to rethink your comments. Like I said great game for young players and teens- simple easy content, colorfull graphics like a cartoon, super easy combat, what is not to love if you are 12.  I am not talking smack just making honest observations

Not so much sensitive, you just get a little tired of reading the same regurgitated lines over and over again regardless of what the thread is actually about and with never anything but 'my next door neighbour said' to back it up.

If you really need to know, i am a 42 year old father of 5 (kids in teens to 20's) and i also have a brother of 39 who plays as well as a father of 62 who plays as well. I have already said that my guild is for over 16's only and the main membership is in their 20's and 30's who i keep in touch with either in person or over various social network sources. So in 'my' experience the game has a mature in age average user base.

As for the 'Panda' expansion, well that has to do with both pandering (<<<see what i did there) to the asian market a little as well as riding on the back of the disney success, but if you think that Disney only makes films to appeal to children these days then you may need to rethink some of your comments.

I am not arguing that the content is hard, or the graphics are lifelike or even that the combat is so complex that it takes a rocket scientist to formulate a rotation, but i am saying that this does not make the game a child only zone because if that was the case then there would be hardly any 'adult' players in the MMO market at all and i don't thnk you are claiming that now are you?

The thing to remember after all is that these things, WoW or otherwise are there to entertain people pure and simple and no matter what your age if you enjoy that entertainment then you will continue to play, watch or take part in it.

As for objectivity, you are seriously going to call me on that?

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Hm this is funny.

Everyone claims only kids play WoW but i play since release and in every guild i have been in, the majority of the players were from 25 to 50 yy old, many married with other guild members and the few kids that actually played it were quite well behaved, and usually were the children of some of the players in said guild.

Now granted, i probably only met like an 1% of the playerbase in my lifetime, but so has everyone else so my view is as valid as everyone else so.... now i claim only grown ups play WoW, cause in my chats it´s full of nice people.

Generalizing ftw.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Yeah... Ive been  drowning in content. The last 8 months leading up to MoP has been flooded with content patch after content patch. Blizzards amazing.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hmm do I detect sarcasm.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Oh the kids okay wow thing us nonsense yeah

Teenage boys want to play at wannabe gangsters in grand theft auto or whatever, they don't want to play a nerd game like gw2 or wow, not enough t&a or gratuitous violence.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Oh the kids okay wow thing us nonsense yeah

Teenage boys want to play at wannabe gangsters in grand theft auto or whatever, they don't want to play a nerd game like gw2 or wow, not enough t&a or gratuitous violence.

Best argument to date :)

• jiveturkey12jiveturkey12 Member CommonPosts: 1,262

Or how about because they made a game that was Hyper-Marketable???

How easy is it to tell your friends your playing "Everquest" or Age of Conan"?? What about, O hey im playing EQ or Im playing AOC"??

Now say "Hey im going to go play WoW, you know, WORLD OF WARCRAFT! It rolls off the tounge and although it sounds nerdy, its nothing overly specific to fantasy, its just saying there is a World of War and you get to craft that war by your actions.

Blizzard made a great creative and fun loving world that the whole family could enjoy, and sorry you guys but WoW WAS GOOD when it came out.

Originally posted by kxmode

NO MMORPG is hard

Have you ever played EVE Online or Anarchy Online?

played Anarchy Online at release and off and on afterwards for a couple of years. Eve off and on since beta. I don't remember AO requiring any real amount of skill but I loved it's skill system. EvE was just a huge time sink once I got the hang of playing the market. The original SWG had a good dodge system for it's melee toons that used a bit of skil as do many classes in otehr MMO's but noting like what a good FPS requires. Time sinks is the big thing in most MMO's, just large investments of time repeating the same actions over and over. Don't get me wrong I love my MMORPG's but what I enjoy about them is the exploration and socializing with my guildies on vent and mumbles

When I think of computer games requiring skill and strategy I think of FPS style games that need good reflexes and the old Avalon Hill War and stragey games. At least in GW2 you can't just stand in one spot and survive...well maybe Guardian you can. There may be a couple other MMO's I have not played where that applies also. But even they do not require the motor skills of a good multiplayer FPS

mainly I was referring to as a false claim of skill in MMO's is  the concept of raiding. I have raided in EQ2, LoTRO, and SWToR and all I have ever seen is the same old mobs that do the same old thing week in and week out. Once you know the strategy of how to do the raid it is just a matter of repeating that over and over. No skill required, just a bit of self discipline, follow the raid leaders directions, and hope the great god of the random number generator smiles on you

I miss DAoC

Not so much sensitive, you just get a little tired of reading the same regurgitated lines over and over again regardless of what the thread is actually about and with never anything but 'my next door neighbour said' to back it up.

If you really need to know, i am a 42 year old father of 5 (kids in teens to 20's) and i also have a brother of 39 who plays as well as a father of 62 who plays as well. I have already said that my guild is for over 16's only and the main membership is in their 20's and 30's who i keep in touch with either in person or over various social network sources. So in 'my' experience the game has a mature in age average user base.

As for the 'Panda' expansion, well that has to do with both pandering (<<

I am not arguing that the content is hard, or the graphics are lifelike or even that the combat is so complex that it takes a rocket scientist to formulate a rotation, but i am saying that this does not make the game a child only zone because if that was the case then there would be hardly any 'adult' players in the MMO market at all and i don't thnk you are claiming that now are you?

The thing to remember after all is that these things, WoW or otherwise are there to entertain people pure and simple and no matter what your age if you enjoy that entertainment then you will continue to play, watch or take part in it.

As for objectivity, you are seriously going to call me on that?

The reason why you keep reading these regurgitated lines is many people have played WOW and came to the same conclusion I have, it is  a game that is very good at attracting younger gamers. Does this mean that a 42 yr old may want to play it? YES especially if he has teens who play, it is a great way to bond with your kid. It is unlikely a younger player is going to be attracted to a game like Eve, or TSW or fallen Earth or an older game like Anarchy online , Ryzom or even games like Vanguard where Diplomacy or the crafting system is to much for their instant grat brain.

Blizzard had great strategy, "lets attract younger players, they have a lot more spare time to play, they will either pay for a sub themselves or get money  from their parents"  And that is why they have 11 million players now.

Hey I perfectly understand, what person over the age of 25 would want to admit to playing WOW especially after they listen to world chat.  I played WOW and after a little while I felt kind of embarrised by it, so I can certainly understand

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Hm this is funny.

Everyone claims only kids play WoW but i play since release and in every guild i have been in, the majority of the players were from 25 to 50 yy old, many married with other guild members and the few kids that actually played it were quite well behaved, and usually were the children of some of the players in said guild.

Now granted, i probably only met like an 1% of the playerbase in my lifetime, but so has everyone else so my view is as valid as everyone else so.... now i claim only grown ups play WoW, cause in my chats it´s full of nice people.

Generalizing ftw.

well, when WoW first came out quite a few of the players were fairly young..  they got older, of course there are still young players joining the game, but i don't think WoW is the only game to have young players, or rude ones for that matter. My own experience is that i have encountered more friendly people in WoW than not. But i can't really say i've played any game that had a predominantly young/rude etc playerbase..  though i havent played all the games out there yet image

This discussion has been closed.