Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling rapid decay of enthusiasm

Comments

• After playing every significant mmo to release in the past 2 years and many that released prior to that... GW2 was the final straw. It made me realize that the current mmorpgs, I cannot find rewarding. It's due to the superficial rewards that they throw at you the entire time you play. Pretty pixels of ponies and armors and other meaningless candies. You can "achieve" them solo, or in group. But no one cares. No one cares if you got a nice new sword or the ability to make your pants pink.

In other genres the reward can come from teamwork, cooperation and achieving goals. And then when you, my teammate, achieved something... we achieved something. And that something was success. It was achieving an objective together. We know how hard it was and how fun it was. We don't need a shiny gold sticker to tell us we did well.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Originally posted by Deznts

After playing every significant mmo to release in the past 2 years and many that released prior to that... GW2 was the final straw. It made me realize that the current mmorpgs, I cannot find rewarding. It's due to the superficial rewards that they throw at you the entire time you play. Pretty pixels of ponies and armors and other meaningless candies. You can "achieve" them solo, or in group. But no one cares. No one cares if you got a nice new sword or the ability to make your pants pink.

In other genres the reward can come from teamwork, cooperation and achieving goals. And then when you, my teammate, achieved something... we achieved something. And that something was success. It was achieving an objective together. We know how hard it was and how fun it was. We don't need a shiny gold sticker to tell us we did well.

Very vague...

What genre doesn't have some kind of reward?  As a gamer I made a o_0 face when I read this.

Especially team based games.... 

Personally I wish GW2 had gruesome fatalies =/

• Originally posted by Angier2758

After playing every significant mmo to release in the past 2 years and many that released prior to that... GW2 was the final straw. It made me realize that the current mmorpgs, I cannot find rewarding. It's due to the superficial rewards that they throw at you the entire time you play. Pretty pixels of ponies and armors and other meaningless candies. You can "achieve" them solo, or in group. But no one cares. No one cares if you got a nice new sword or the ability to make your pants pink.

Very vague...

What genre doesn't have some kind of reward?  As a gamer I made a o_0 face when I read this.

Especially team based games.... 

Personally I wish GW2 had gruesome fatalies =/

Shooters come to mind. Racing, sports. Sure there are others. That was off the top of my head.

And Age of Conan has the gruesome fatalities. You can even be victim to them. Ever seen your character's stomach from a lateral dissection perspective? nom nom nom I'm hungry now

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

This is the result of listening to the "consumer voice" when the consumer is a bunch of entitlement ultra casuals.

You're not the only one.  We'll be seeing a crap ton more of these posts over the next 2-3 weeks, as people realize that "lateral progression" is not progression and does literally nothing to hold people's interest.

Getting super cool looking armor sets means nothing if you have nowhere to go use those super cool looking armor sets.  What do they expect you to just run around and slaughter random mobs while fapping to how super ultra cool you look?

Its ridiculous. And don't even try to bring up the extra boring keep swap WvWvW.

Can't believe they didnt learn that lesson from warhammer.

There has to be a reason to owning a keep other than just having it.  It needs to give stat bonuses or some kind of benefit somehow or people will get bored with keep swapping for no reason.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Dont worry people, better games are comming.image

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This thread is so good, I almost didn't want to post, but this right here. So much useless stuff (character and cash wise) is dropped, it's really incredible. After dipping into panda land, I made the comment in guild chat "It seems like weapon drops for disenchanting has dropped." No, it's just that so much drops in GW2. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    ^ this guy even play gw2 or is this just what tsw fans tell themselves to sleep at night?

another funny post....if I knew how to show how many hours Ive clocked, you'd see that I've played pretty extensively.  Please explain to me how I might be incorrect?  And please don't mention the "secret locations" that everyone uses....these "secret locations" are nothing more than the carbon copies of locations that aren't "secret"...

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

GW2 is the result of players getting exactly what they wanted.

players wanted fast levelling...done

players wanted no raidcentric gear grind...done

players wanted a free game...done

players wanted  three team based pvp...done

players wanted unique gameplay...done

players wanted outside boss events that anyone could take part of..done.

on and on and on.

the truth is simple. there is a subset of player that will never be happy with any offering they get, no matter how much effort was put into it. The age of fasle entitlement is upon is.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    It was obvious that this game has no lasting potential. Anet knew well why they aren't making this a subscription game. I'm surprised to see that it took the whole month for some people to realize that they weren't actually enjoying the game in the first place, they were basically enjoying the release of a new MMO coupled with the hope and accompanying hype that this is something new that will last for years, which blurred their vision on the game itself. GW2 is easily the most shallow and solo-oriented MMO so far with basically no potential at all, since its core mechanics are lacking any meaningful progression and purpose, even beating SWTOR in that matter.

REALITY CHECK

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Reizla

Perhaps we should lay GW2 aside for a week or 2, play something else and check back later on..?

This is exactly what makes this game so sweet.  No monthly charges.   You can put it down play other games and come back later to play it.

Just keep your fingers crossed of not being hacked by someone in China.....LOL

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

is it just me or are SWTOR players/Bioware employees on a anti-gw2 campaign here?  :)

Originally posted by outfctrl

how do you get hacked? are there really people falling into those phishing mails or clicking on dubious external links on forums?  Played dozens of MMO's over the years, NEVER been hacked.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Thillian
    It was obvious that this game has no lasting potential. Anet knew well why they aren't making this a subscription game. I'm surprised to see that it took the whole month for some people to realize that they weren't actually enjoying the game in the first place, they were basically enjoying the release of a new MMO coupled with the hope and accompanying hype that this is something new that will last for years, which blurred their vision on the game itself. GW2 is easily the most shallow and solo-oriented MMO so far with basically no potential at all, since its core mechanics are lacking any meaningful progression and purpose, even beating SWTOR in that matter.

I can't speak for others, but I did and still do enjoy the game.  Prior to launch, I was very very skeptical about this game.  Some even called me a hater and various other things.

I just really don't enjoy leveling a character past level 10 any more.   To achieve maximum enjoyment, I find my brain needs to sort of shut down while I play (in contrast to my preferred MMOs where I actually need to focus and think).  If my brain starts working, I start thinking and the thinking about what I am playing is where the breakdown occurs for me.  I have to keep it on a visceral level.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619
    Originally posted by Muke

is it just me or are SWTOR players/Bioware employees on a anti-gw2 campaign here?  :)

Originally posted by outfctrl

how do you get hacked? are there really people falling into those phishing mails or clicking on dubious external links on forums?  Played dozens of MMO's over the years, NEVER been hacked.

Well, check out the account issues it their forums.

Hell, I bought the game and 2 days later I am getting emails from arenanet that someone in China is trying to access your account.

People are getting banned left and right saying they are botting too

Originally posted by grimal

I can't speak for others, but I did and still do enjoy the game.  Prior to launch, I was very very skeptical about this game.  Some even called me a hater and various other things.

I just really don't enjoy leveling a character past level 10 any more.   To achieve maximum enjoyment, I find my brain needs to sort of shut down while I play (in contrast to my preferred MMOs where I actually need to focus and think).  If my brain starts working, I start thinking and the thinking about what I am playing is where the breakdown occurs for me.  I have to keep it on a visceral level.

You don't like leveling, are you sure you like RPGs then? Because leveling and character progression is the prime feature of RPG.

REALITY CHECK

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

You don't like leveling, are you sure you like RPGs then? Because leveling and character progression is the prime feature of RPG.

Is this meant for me?  I like character progression in my RPG.  Leveling tied to character progression?  Great.  Leveling tied to nothing?  Not so much.  (I've stated this earlier in this thread, by the way).

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    If you have over 200 hours anyone would lose enthusiasm maybe you should go outside or go read a book. Take a break from it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by ChrisReitz
    If you have over 200 hours anyone would lose enthusiasm maybe you should go outside or go read a book. Take a break from it.

Nah not true at all. Some games fall off at that mark though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115

The whole point of the game is that you can be part of any group at any time. When you do event more then likely there will be more then eight people their. I think what you said was faulty all together. Just cause it doesnt have a healer doesnt mean the game doesnt have rewards and no one "notices" your new sword... When you go dragon haunting their is atleast 20 people near you. The only part of the game that will need you actually to make a group is the dungeons. Trust me everyone notices COF armor Twilight weapons and so on.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Now, just announced GW3!
    In development. This will be the game of the future. GW3 will be the game that plays itself. Don't have time to commit to a full MMORPG? Don't have time to invest in your character to make it better? We will take care of that for you! You don't even need to DL the client, Just send us your $60 bucks and we'll publish your character's progress on Twitter and Facebook!
    How easy is that?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Is this meant for me?  I like character progression in my RPG.  Leveling tied to character progression?  Great.  Leveling tied to nothing?  Not so much.  (I've stated this earlier in this thread, by the way).

still curious how you don't feel the trait system offers you progression.. higher I get more options in builds I get to play with.. so far with every class I have played I'm completely changing my play style every 5-10 levels... to me that's far and away better than being locked into one role and getting fireball XIV at max level and a talent to only add +5% damage to that fireball... in my opinion gw2 offers plenty of incentive and reasons to want to level your character...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

still curious how you don't feel the trait system offers you progression.. higher I get more options in builds I get to play with.. so far with every class I have played I'm completely changing my play style every 5-10 levels... to me that's far and away better than being locked into one role and getting fireball XIV at max level and a talent to only add +5% damage to that fireball... in my opinion gw2 offers plenty of incentive and reasons to want to level your character...

Leveling in GW2 is tied to nothing. They could just remove it completely and people would hardly notice the difference. You could just open new skills and areas over time, like you do in non-rpg action games or even shooters, you wouldnt need level scale, everything would have constant difficulty -- like it has now. Your character is not really progressing. Therefore, GW2 can hardly be called an mmoRPG, it's rather an mmo-Action Game.

REALITY CHECK

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Leveling in GW2 is tied to nothing. They could just remove it completely and people would hardly notice the difference. You could just open new skills and areas over time, like you do in non-rpg action games or even shooters, you wouldnt need level scale, everything would have constant difficulty -- like it has now. Your character is not really progressing. Therefore, GW2 can hardly be called an mmoRPG, it's rather an mmo-Action Game.

so those trait points and SP I get must be my imagination.. good to know...also get to 40 then go to a level 1-15 zone you ARE much stronger than you were when you were level appropriate for the zone.... scaling makes you weaker but you can still mow down things

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by rungard

GW2 is the result of players getting exactly what they wanted.

players wanted fast levelling...done

players wanted no raidcentric gear grind...done

players wanted a free game...done

players wanted  three team based pvp...done

players wanted unique gameplay...done

players wanted outside boss events that anyone could take part of..done.

on and on and on.

the truth is simple. there is a subset of player that will never be happy with any offering they get, no matter how much effort was put into it. The age of fasle entitlement is upon is.

wow...everyone is a comedian on this forum post....

Who are these "players" you refer to?  I didnt want fast leveling, abolishment of raids, free game (you get what you pay for, everytime!), 3 team PVP, outside bosses that can be zerged by anyone in the vicinity?  Also, unique gameplay can apply to many very bad games.  I want QUALITY gameplay...

I think you are in the age of "false representation"

Im so sick of the mainstream destroying the MMO genre with these assumptions.  I actually bought Darkfall yesterday (dont pvp or anything like that), but it's the only game out there with some allowance of freedom....so Im moving there....played 8 hours straight yesterday....don't plan on coming back to the themepark world until Devs wake up and realize that we're not toddlers who need everything on E-Z mode....

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Elikal

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm. Like I log in less and feel less inclined to continue to play ANY of my chars.

My main is Warrior lv 66, (where on top, my story is bug-stuck with level 50), and I just could not bring myself to play today, despite being bored. I can't even say exactly why.

I just feel "oh my, another heart gather some phooey something". And what DEFINITELY starts to bug me: I didn't learn ANY new abilities for ages. Besides some extras, my chars have the same skills as they had with level 5. Looking forward to new abilities always was a major drive in MMOs for me. And this heart thing... hm. I enjoyed it at first, but now it feels kinda boring. I sort of miss the more directed, guided, dense approach of real questlines, which deliver a story more clear and coherent. Lack of trinity and real teamwork also starts to feel more lacking now that I play a longer time, and I feel like everyone is a soloer and jack of all trades and rarely anyone ever groups or talks.

Sigh.

Not sure. Just a sort of feeling.

EDIT: I never thought I'd say that, but I liked the quests and classes from SWTOR better. Sue me...

1. Do ANYTHING for couple of days, day by day for few hours and you will get bored. This is why most people hate their jobs. At least those who have taks that they repeat over and over. 

2. What you are describing is simple "burn out". Take a break, play something else. You eather stop or come back. It's like with favorite song. Listen to that one song again and again and in time you will even start to hate it. Take a break and you will enjoy it again. I have a blast with GW2 probably mostly because I can't play it as often as I want.

3. You have both horizontal and vertical progression. Skills alone is not enough. You need to learn how to use it properly. And then test your skills in PVP. For me PVP is main point of this game. They could remove PVE content and I would never care about that.

4. Game don't lack trinity or real teamwork. It's quite oposite. Every aspect of the game is design for groups. And on top of that you have trinity. But they didn't "fix" your role sofrom the day 1 to last you can only heal a tank or be a punching bag (tank itself). You have active tanking (agro, dodge, shielding etc) and healing is a support. You don't have dedicated healers that can heal you even if someone shoot a rocket in your face like in TOR, WOW or RIFT.

About TOR:

If you like TOR - you don't like MMORPG at all. Tor is linear, solo oriented, very simple and static pseudo-mmo (more like co-op than MMO) and quite boring (99% of content is kill & fetch quests) online game. Oposite of GW2.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by NBlitz

For anyone complaining about people not creaming their pants over GW2 and making a post about it on the forums: be happy.

Once people stop making posts about it and simply quit the game without saying as much as a word...is when you should start complaining and asking "Where did everybody go?"

We are not complaining about that - what we do take issue with (just ast TOR, TERA and TSW players did) is the 'Negative Nancy's' on this forum. They do nothing but belittle everything and give NO CONSTRUCTIVE criticism at all. It is mostly those posters that are the 'DOOM and GLOOM' experts and the ones posting in threads like these, like you, for example.

The game does have it's negatives and positives - all games designs are compromises based on what the game designers want to put in. If there was a game that has something for everyone, would anyone play it? Probably not - people feel the need to complain.

This discussion has been closed.