Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MOP sales down?

Comments

• ShenjShimpoShenjShimpo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by wowclones
    Originally posted by wolffin

The fourth expansion for Blizzard Entertainment’s massively popular online game has sold between 600,000 and 700,000 copies at retail since its launch earlier this week, Lazard estimates.
    Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#ZivfOz2qSZMIYOuz.99

"at retail" thats not counting digital sales

I lol'ed , still laughing

still doesnt change the fact that MoP is a failure compared to other blizzard EXP sales 

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by ShenjShimpo

The fourth expansion for Blizzard Entertainment’s massively popular online game has sold between 600,000 and 700,000 copies at retail since its launch earlier this week, Lazard estimates.
    Read more at http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#ZivfOz2qSZMIYOuz.99

still doesnt change the fact that MoP is a failure compared to other blizzard EXP sales 

Just becuase something does not sell as well as another does not make it a failure.  It is a failure if it didn't meet expectations, and then it only failed to meet expectations, overall it may still be a successfull sale. 

We know they hoped to sell more than the other expansions, what game company wouldn't.  But we also know they had declining subs.  It was probably not their expectation to actually outsell the previous expansions. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • BenedictXVBenedictXV Member Posts: 104

I found stuff on here pretty funny.

Some people seems really happy to see a good game studio fail at some point? No one is a prophet in his own time as they used to say. These kinds of threads should be closed as soon as they pop. They generate way too much hate and stupidity to be allowed.

On a personal note, some of you, when you get to the point where you run out of arguments, attack on the quality of the language and grammer. May i say that this is EXTRA lame and childish you can't always win an argument on a forum, attacking someone on his or her language skills is just showing everyone else how you don't have anymore arguments and you don't accept it.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449
    Why would you even post this? Some people are so quick to try to bash wow that they make themselves look like complete imbeciles.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Well WoW lost4 xpac sales and $60 a month from this household. For what it's worth my teenage kids and teir friends dont play  because "WoW just aint cool no more" theyre into LoL these days

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Well today I walked into five stores all big box ones, EB games , gamestop , walmart , ect and I have noticed TONS of MOP expacs just sitting  there ,I was like hmmm thats strange because the previous expacs were gone in a day or two now hell the one EB games I went too had 10 collectors versions still sitting there and at the other stores were alittle higher and some alittle lower , but not by much.

Even the reps at these places said that the game is not selling well at all , I think that the giant is taking a dive, and if that is'nt proof goto your retailer and check , still have some in stock yep! Hell I had a hard time trying to get borderlands 2 , took me five days to land me a copy!

P.S and the giant takes a dive!

This is so easy to understand if you aren´t a moron.

MoP is the first expansion that was sold digitally on battlenet.   Why in the world would anyone go to a store and buy a box when they can download it a month in advance and log in at midnight?   yes, there are people who like a box,  and yes there are people who like the collector´s edition stuff like the music cd etc.

But Blizzard made it absolutely easy to just buy the DD... it was plastered everywhere.

Cata, nor any other expansion did not have DD available directly from Blizzard.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Zeppelin4
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/

Take it for what its worth.

That report is total sensationalism. It's counting retail sales since release. So it's not counting Digital sales or pre-purchases. Lets get all the numbers when we play with them huh?

No amount of "wishful" thinking willmake up the 60% loss. 20% maybe pushing it but still this and all other indicators point to pandaland being a dissapointment by Blizzard standards.

We also must not count out the lack of "official" blizzard media release that has came within days after every expansion and yet this one we havnt seen one.

Actually no, the last two expansions the ´first day sales´  numbers were released about 10 days after launch.

But again..  this is the first expansion with DD.  The number of people who want a physical box pales in comparison to the amount of people who want to log in at 12:00 am.   Everyone did DD and a ton of people did the DD collector´s edition.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Azrile
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/

That report is total sensationalism. It's counting retail sales since release. So it's not counting Digital sales or pre-purchases. Lets get all the numbers when we play with them huh?

No amount of "wishful" thinking willmake up the 60% loss. 20% maybe pushing it but still this and all other indicators point to pandaland being a dissapointment by Blizzard standards.

We also must not count out the lack of "official" blizzard media release that has came within days after every expansion and yet this one we havnt seen one.

Actually no, the last two expansions the ´first day sales´  numbers were released about 10 days after launch.

But again..  this is the first expansion with DD.  The number of people who want a physical box pales in comparison to the amount of people who want to log in at 12:00 am.   Everyone did DD and a ton of people did the DD collector´s edition.

So by some miraculous reasoning we are to be convinced that 8 years of prior history can be summed up by 60% of the players buying the DD version?

HAHAH classic.

Serious though, all indicators is only aproximately 20% (and that is a very liberal estimation) went the DD route and that WoW is still losing subscribers.  Even the guys at my local gamestop said there wasnt enough fan interest to do a midnight release. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

lol at the P2W business model plug.

The article and writer are such a tool.   I don't doubt a few fans will find a P2W game they enjoy more and stay, but is an absolute retarded statement that millions are leaving because of them.    It is a simple fact that WOW is just getting old.  

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by ShenjShimpo

without any data on the amount of digital sales, there is no evidence to suggest that is the case. Personally i think its highly likely that the doomsayers will once again be made to look incompetent .. again..  venturebeat, not exactly known for the accuracy of their work are they, and once the figures are out, it will highlight just how incompetent their investigatory work is, which seems to be at the level of copying things off of urinal walls. Last time i was passing a public WC, it had WOW killed GW2 scrawled on the walls in crayon... i wonder if venturebeat have read that yet image

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Link:

It looks like it’s going to take more than kung fu fighting pandas to save Azeroth.

Sales of the World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria expansion have been disappointing, according to analysts at investment bank Lazard Capital Markets. The fourth expansion for Blizzard Entertainment’s massively popular online game has sold between 600,000 and 700,000 copies at retail since its launch earlier this week, Lazard estimates.

Historically, each new World of Warcraft expansion has outsold its predecessors, Lazard said, but sales of Pandaria are down 60 percent from the previous expansion pack, Cataclysm, which has sold 3.3 million units since its launch in December 2010. While these figures don’t take digital market performance into account, Lazard analysts believe Pandaria’s digital sales won’t make up for its poor retail performance.

A drop in subscription numbers is a possible explanation for Pandaria’s struggles. Back in August, publisher Activision Blizzard revealed World of Warcraft lost over one million subscriptions in the last fiscal quarter.

About 25 percent of Activision Blizzard’s revenue comes from World of Warcraft, along with 50 percent of its operating income, which has analysts concerned about the game’s continued longevity.

Because you know, the game is going to shut down tomorrow, what with all the people leaving...*sigh*

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Given the numbers are true... thats... pretty huge, a lot bigger of a drop then I expected. I wasn't execting it to reach cataclysm numbers, but thats very low.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Link:

It looks like it’s going to take more than kung fu fighting pandas to save Azeroth.

When you are at the top of mountain, you can not go any higher, do you? Would be silly expecting some game for be there for 20 years. But I think Blizzard is far from real trouble. They did, imo of course as usually, few very big mistakes, but overall what they do is usually for best.

Not sure why you people are so obsessed with fall of other games or anything else for that matter. Obviously they can be happy only when somebody/something is not doing well. Strange way to enjoy life.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

They have to release their numbers soon as stock holders want to know if they need to sell or buy more stocks.

The latest trend is WoW is in major decline and MoP had a rough life from the moment it was announced.
    You where against it or loved it and it splitted up the playerbase in 2 camps.
    This was a bad sign way before MoP was released.

60% less sales then Cataclysm seems about right if you look at love / hate the panda xpac

We have to wait and see what the real numbers are, but Blizzard made alot of people quit out of pure greed.
    Death servers and a 200 page thread of people begging blizzard to assist their realms
    CRZ and Horde camping out the few alliance left in WoW.
    Pokemon battles
    Pandabears
    Dumbing the game down with erach patch
    10 months of no contend updates....
    20%/50% bots in every battleground for years on end.

We can go on and on about many things BLizzard choose to ignore, and they keep ignoring it.
    And people vote with their wallet.
    8 years i played WoW uninstalled in Cataclysm and never looked back.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Well today I walked into five stores all big box ones, EB games , gamestop , walmart , ect and I have noticed TONS of MOP expacs just sitting  there ,I was like hmmm thats strange because the previous expacs were gone in a day or two now hell the one EB games I went too had 10 collectors versions still sitting there and at the other stores were alittle higher and some alittle lower , but not by much.

Even the reps at these places said that the game is not selling well at all , I think that the giant is taking a dive, and if that is'nt proof goto your retailer and check , still have some in stock yep! Hell I had a hard time trying to get borderlands 2 , took me five days to land me a copy!

P.S and the giant takes a dive!

This is so easy to understand if you aren´t a moron.

MoP is the first expansion that was sold digitally on battlenet.   Why in the world would anyone go to a store and buy a box when they can download it a month in advance and log in at midnight?   yes, there are people who like a box,  and yes there are people who like the collector´s edition stuff like the music cd etc.

But Blizzard made it absolutely easy to just buy the DD... it was plastered everywhere.

Wrong!

I bought Cata digitally. From my battle.net order history:

"5/11 2010   Wrath of the Lich King to Cataclysm (Digital Purchase)   34.99 €"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Netspook

Wrong!

agree Cata was available digitally before Cata launched

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2847880

IRVINE, Calif. -- October 4, 2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft®: Cataclysm, the highly anticipated third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game*, will be released starting on December 7, 2010. The expansion will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 and Macintosh® at a suggested retail price of $39.99 and will also be offered as a digital download from the Blizzard Store.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Netspook

Wrong!

agree Cata was available digitally before Cata launched

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/press/pressreleases.html?id=2847880

IRVINE, Calif. -- October 4, 2010 Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that World of Warcraft®: Cataclysm, the highly anticipated third expansion for the world's most popular subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game*, will be released starting on December 7, 2010. The expansion will be available on DVD-ROM for Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 and Macintosh® at a suggested retail price of $39.99 and will also be offered as a digital download from the Blizzard Store.

I also bought cata direct from the blizzard store download.  Truth is time will tell.  Everything is speculation.  This is only an estimate of retail boxes to start.  Second 2 years ago the retail to download % of sales was very different from today.

I also went to Amazon and found something very interesting.  Mists collectors edition was number 6 on best sellers for pc video games and regular expansion edition(39.99) was not in the top 100 at all.  What this tells me is that very few people at all are buying retail boxes unless they want the collectors edition.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    not sure why this is surprising for anyone, after 8 years of the same old same old people just get tired of a game

I miss DAoC

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323

I can't understand why a big name company like Lazarus would go out of it's way to blatantly troll like this.

Maybe 3-4 years ago the announcment would of made sense, but now?  Digital sales are huge, and putting out an article like this with that knowledge makes no sense to me.  Given that Blizzard also went out of their way to push digital sales by making it a simple click on your already active account.  You had to do nothing other than click a button, no signing up no inputting cc details..nothing.

700k box sales proves absoloutely nothing except the decline of box sales overall.   When Blizzard release the actual sales figures it will blow the Lazard annoucnment out of the window, it won't change the fact that it was an obvious attack on the company though.  I do wonder how such dirty tricks will play out in future games.

I think it will be down from previous expansions since pretty much all mmo titles are seeing a loss of players now but this article is complete nonsense.  Digital sales will vastly outnumber box sales, quite why an "expert" doesn't know this is beyond me.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

I have upto Lich King on my US WoW account and up to BC on my European accounts yes plural I have 2 in Europe. The thing that is preventing me from playing is that I have to buy Cata if I want to advance and I do not want to do that. I just want to play  Mists and level to the end but no they want me to pay for Cata and this is why I am not buying Mists.

I am okay with the sub just the box costs for earleir expansions are putting me off and if I want to play my 64 priest on the European servers I have to buy Lich and Cata and that my friend is too much for me .I like the way Everquest 2 does it where you buy the last expansion to play all.

Chamber of Chains
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Fact: MoP is smacking GW2 across its face with its giant pen fifteen.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• amber-ramber-r Member Posts: 323
    Originally posted by cheyane

I have upto Lich King on my US WoW account and up to BC on my European accounts yes plural I have 2 in Europe. The thing that is preventing me from playing is that I have to buy Cata if I want to advance and I do not want to do that. I just want to play  Mists and level to the end but no they want me to pay for Cata and this is why I am not buying Mists.

I am okay with the sub just the box costs for earleir expansions are putting me off and if I want to play my 64 priest on the European servers I have to buy Lich and Cata and that my friend is too much for me .I like the way Everquest 2 does it where you buy the last expansion to play all.

You realise you can buy Cataclysm for £5 from amazon right?

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

Wow didn't rush to china, Its just china approved mop faster then they had any other expansion. Yea sales are a bit down u can say, The thing is most people i know got digital copy, 

There seem to be a hell of a lot of people running around in pandaria , And with cue times on the most heavily populated servers i find it hard to belive only 600 k copies sold, 

So time will tell  but I have trouble believing that mop hasn't sold over a million copies, In europe people where complaining about cue times on forums and stuff so i find it extremly hard to believe wow wont match cata numbers at least. 

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by cheyane

Wrong.

Everyone who have the basic game, gets Lich King at no additional cost now, just as they did with TBC earlier. In other words, TBC AND WotLK are included in the battle chest now.

I don't have a link to the announcement, but if you check the Table of Features on their EU site, you'll see that for yourself.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

An update to the original story in the link:

"Update: Analysts at investment bank Brean Murray, Carrett & Co. are also weighing in on World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria’s financial impact, and they’re painting a rosier picture. They believe the expansion pack will be a key driver of publisher Activision Blizzard’s third quarter 2012 revenue growth.

“We think recent reports of weak retail sales for Mists of Pandaria may fail to reflect a channel shift toward a greater percentage of digital sales,” they said.

“More than 1 million people bought premium subscriptions, which bundled a year-long subscription with a copy of Diablo III. We look for the premium subscribers to not only pick up the expansion but for a significant portion of them to download it through the Battle.net platform, which should offer high margin revenue.”

Brean Murray estimates 4.5 million units of Mists of Pandaria will be sold in the third quarter despite competition from free-to-play titles and NCSoft’s massively multiplayer online role-playing game Guild Wars 2, which has sold over 2 million copies. It also expects subscriber numbers to increase from 9.1 million to 9.8 million by the end of the third quarter."

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/27/world-of-warcraft-mists-of-pandaria-performance-disappointing/#7QSW17czQFH28uPJ.99

Looks like things might not be as bad as some people hoped it would be.  I haven't bought a PC game in a store in years and no one I know who plays WoW bought MoP in one, either.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.