Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too early to call GW2 a flop?

Comments

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

What was that company after,what is casual game? product for people who dont play much?

now if they dont play much,is that a flop or not?

Mike O'Brian aims to make Guild Wars 2 the number one MMORPG on the market; i.e. beat WoW.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

NCSoft may have other goals, and so may other key people within Arenanet, so I suppose it depends on who you ask.

Well Mike can keep day dreaming. He painted a bull's eye on his back with a comment like that. GW2 beat WOW...lol. Ok what ever Mike.

LOL no kidding. Mike, tell that to the 2,000 ahead of me in the que to log into MoP.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    As far as being a true MMO with lasting power that shows all the monthly fee games how it's done I would say GW2 is a giant flop. As far as getting your $60 worth from a singleplayer standpoint I'd consider the game a success.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

What was that company after,what is casual game? product for people who dont play much?

Mike O'Brian aims to make Guild Wars 2 the number one MMORPG on the market; i.e. beat WoW.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

NCSoft may have other goals, and so may other key people within Arenanet, so I suppose it depends on who you ask.

Well Mike can keep day dreaming. He painted a bull's eye on his back with a comment like that. GW2 beat WOW...lol. Ok what ever Mike.

To use a music analogy back in the early 1960s there had been many people that had claimed many a new act would be bigger than Elvis . These of course all failed .

Untill of course a small band from Liverpool came along whos manager  made the same claim . Everyone laughed at him . They arn't laughing anymore .

I don't think GW2 will be the mmo equivelent of the Beatles to WoWs Elvis but you can be certain one day something will be .

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I certainly don't think it's a flop. They sold a lot of copies - and they've managed to convince a LOT of players that limited progression and having most things handed to you on a silver platter is the way to go. It looks like a major victory for the casual fans - made by what seems like casual fans themselves.

Considering the genre - and the history of RPGs - I think that's a pretty impressive feat, for any developer.

As for "changing the MMO scene" - I sincerely doubt it. To me, they completely failed to provide a meaningful and perpetually interesting long-term home for MMO players. So, that particular scene isn't changing.

That said, they may have created a new scene - a scene for people who're not really interested in comitting themselves and who're not really interested in setting goals for themselves.

I'd call it the "fast food" MMO scene, for people who just want a quick fix - without paying a subscription or feeling obliged to buy something in a store. A short-term subgenre, if you will.

But a flop? No, I wouldn't say that.

• ShenjShimpoShenjShimpo Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by mxbx
    The fact is, this is just another in a long line of flops that's failing to live up to the hype.    

the fact is that u should keep it shut  if u dont have a clue 

all servers are full the games is a major success

u dont like the game keep this opinion for yourself..just because YOU say its flop doesnt make gw2 one no matter how hard u want it to..u can keep dreaming cause the game is not a flop....go bak to wow and keep it shut thx.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    If a supposed AAA MMO can't hold the attention of even the casual fans for more then 2-3 months then it is a sure sign of a flop regardless of copies sold. Diablo 3 sold record breaking amounts in it's first few days and it's considered one of the biggest flops ever. A flop has absolutely nothing to do with money made and everything to do with overall gameplay.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by ZigZags

LOL no kidding. Mike, tell that to the 2,000 ahead of me in the que to log into MoP.

If there were no overflow servers I bet I would see a number just like that or bigger during GW2 launch.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by roo67

To use a music analogy back in the early 1960s there had been many people that had claimed many a new act would be bigger than Elvis . These of course all failed .

Untill of course a small band from Liverpool came along whos manager  made the same claim . Everyone laughed at him . They arn't laughing anymore .

I don't think GW2 will be the mmo equivelent of the Beatles to WoWs Elvis but you can be certain one day something will be .

well.compared to WoW,WoW is hardcore sandbox game,its really weird like "its really hard to make goals in ice hockey ,Anet - lets remove those goals and it will be better"

in WoW theres plenty of these goals which are now removed in GW2.

I dont think that Elvis ever died,this genre is Elvis,but removing vital parts from it will kill it at some point.

Let's internet

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    How can gw2 floppin' be a fact? Now Im not a fan of the game either, but I have enough insight to realize that this is a game theyve worked with so hard (esp their attention to detail), There is no this or that when it comes to salesnumbers, and theyre doing more than just fine.. heck theyre making loads of their ingame cash shops. Yes, certain of GW2 systems are too kids friendly and might not be the game for some of you, but it certainly is a great game nonetheless.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by roo67

The manager was cocky and got lucky. Good for him. That is why you don't make claims like that because luck won't favor you everytime. It is better to keep mouth shut and just do what you do the best. 

• Ngeldu5tNgeldu5t Member UncommonPosts: 608
    How is GW2 a flop?The game sold millions of copies and is  B2P and doesn't require a sub so I don't see your point here,I guess it's just another anti GW thread.

In the land of Predators,the lion does not fear the jackals...

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by SuperDonk
    Originally posted by Zzad
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

It is a flop to me, so no, it's not too early to call it a flop personally.

Might be a tad early to call it a financial or retention flop though.

Had it been P2P, the servers would already be emptying out though.

GW has a VERY BIG fanbase...both in USA & EU.... empty servers any soon? Doub it.

B2P will buy it some time.

Do you really want to be Uncle Owen?, cause if memory serves me he got fried :s

• ShubawkssShubawkss Member Posts: 55
    A wow clone, are you fucking serious? lol.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    If a supposed AAA MMO can't hold the attention of even the casual fans for more then 2-3 months then it is a sure sign of a flop regardless of copies sold. Diablo 3 sold record breaking amounts in it's first few days and it's considered one of the biggest flops ever. A flop has absolutely nothing to do with money made and everything to do with overall gameplay.

The way GW2 is bleeding numbers i would tend to agree, can't help but wonder if the core game design isnt part of the problem though, and i don't mean the lack of a 'trinity' either, GW2 would probably have made a half decent SPRPG, but as a MMO it has some pretty severe flaws, the main one currently being that its easily hacked due to client side vulnerabilities, but i've also been hearing that at 65+ there appears to be problems with DE's and Dungeons, that are broken, hours after the weekly server maintenance. The game may have been released too soon, and Arenanet may have cut too many corners by having so much reliance on client side resources, if so, Arenanet may have made a mistake that will be difficult, if not impossible to resolve. The onus is really on Arenanet now to make good on their game. Falling player numbers are probably going to be the only indication though of how well or not, Arenanet manage to address these and other issues with the game.image

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

The way GW2 is bleeding numbers i would tend to agree, can't help but wonder if the core game design isnt part of the problem though, and i don't mean the lack of a 'trinity' either, GW2 would probably have made a half decent SPRPG, but as a MMO it has some pretty severe flaws, the main one currently being that its easily hacked due to client side vulnerabilities, but i've also been hearing that at 65+ there appears to be problems with DE's and Dungeons, that are broken, hours after the weekly server maintenance. The game may have been released too soon, and Arenanet may have cut too many corners by having so much reliance on client side resources, if so, Arenanet may have made a mistake that will be difficult, if not impossible to resolve. The onus is really on Arenanet now to make good on their game. Falling player numbers are probably going to be the only indication though of how well or not, Arenanet manage to address these and other issues with the game.image

Just a question: when is the weekly server maintenance?

Most of the DEs and skill challenges have been fixed on the 25th patch.

And let me guess those "bleeding numbers" you speak of are basedon Xfire...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Just a question: when is the weekly server maintenance?

Most of the DEs and skill challenges have been fixed on the 25th patch.

And let me guess those "bleeding numbers" you speak of are basedon Xfire...

I'd wish. Unfortunately in my server all Orr main group events are broken and won't fire up. That means that all Orr temples are NPC controlled for example.

All the latest patch did was solve some skill challenges that would bug on certain servers.

I'm sure that eventually those problems will get resolved. For now however I'm expecting for a server reset or a patch (which means a server reset), so as to access the karma armor vendors.

I can't even hop into another server without the issue, since that would mean that I'd be locked out of WvW for the day.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795
    So servers are full and the game is a flop suddenly? oO I guess some people already call Elders Scrolls mmo a flop based on screenshots so I shouldn't be surprised.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

It is not a flop but it is not also "the" MMORPG some of us are waiting for. It is a fun, solid ThemePark which you can play for a few months but nowhere near those classics which can hook you for years. The PvP is simply not developed enough and they made a misstake by separating it completely from the PvE world.

The PvE on the other hand is great up to the end game where it kind of dies of. So again this makes the game fun for a couple of months but then there is little point to play it until the next expansion hits, which might be what Arena Net intends.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Zzad
    The fact is, this is just another in a long line of flops that's failing to live up to the hype.  Does anyone seriously deny that ArenaNet is spiking their sales numbers?  And let's not forget: it failed as F2P right out of the gate, where ToR and many other games managed to run P2P for at least a few months.  How can the ArenaNet fanbois call ToR a failure and GW2 a success when ToR managed to hold subs for months? 

LOL....just LOL.....

Guild Wars 2 has a BTP model since GW1...it´s not designed to hold subs whattsoever.... never pretended or wanted to.

If GW2 is BTP (and not FTP as you said) it´s due to a promise made by ArenaNet to their fanbase to keep that bussiness model.

get over it....

.....and no...GW2 doesn´t  have Raids,nor trinity.....FFS......  image

That is where you are wrong. GW 2 is BTP+CashShop which means they need people playing the game to get money from the Cash Shop. So even though I dont expect it to keep alot of people playing the game, and probably ArenaNet does not either, it is not entirely Buy To Play.

• andypandyrandypandyr Member UncommonPosts: 89
    My oh my .. when are these stupid threads going to stop .. " sigh "
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    The fact is, this is just another in a long line of flops that's failing to live up to the hype.  Does anyone seriously deny that ArenaNet is spiking their sales numbers?  And let's not forget: it failed as F2P right out of the gate, where ToR and many other games managed to run P2P for at least a few months.  How can the ArenaNet fanbois call ToR a failure and GW2 a success when ToR managed to hold subs for months? 

No, dear random user, the fact is GW2 is a success. Proof: sale numbers, good population across all servers, WvW is very popular - queue any time of a day or week, loyal and huge playbase. Also, perfect business model allows it to keep it alive for a long time, just like GW1.

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124

I can't believe such obvious troll posts like the OP aren't immediatly removed from the forums.

His first line he's already stating his personal feelings for facts... how can you take the guy serious or expect some descent discussion to originate from the OP.

• MimzelMimzel Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Brixon

OMG it's b2p, even if it sucks ass (which it doesn't), how can it be a flop? For the cost of the box, you can play this MMO forever without sub fees. Sure it may not appeal to everyone, what game does? It would be great to have more MMO's like this.

I'm suprised game companies are still trying to make MMO's anymore. Since no matter what they make, they can't win. Good luck waiting for the holy grail of gaming.

I couldnt resist... A big problem is the strong copycat tendency in the mmorpg genre. It's not my problem that developers think there is a tried and tested recipie for MMORPG's, and the players are bored out of their skull because of it.

It is only a matter of time before a development company delivers a huge success because they can and do think "out of the box". Unfortunately, the amount of time it will take has proven to be extremely long...

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Mimzel
    Originally posted by Brixon

OMG it's b2p, even if it sucks ass (which it doesn't), how can it be a flop? For the cost of the box, you can play this MMO forever without sub fees. Sure it may not appeal to everyone, what game does? It would be great to have more MMO's like this.

I'm suprised game companies are still trying to make MMO's anymore. Since no matter what they make, they can't win. Good luck waiting for the holy grail of gaming.

I couldnt resist... A big problem is the strong copycat tendency in the mmorpg genre. It's not my problem that developers think there is a tried and tested recipie for MMORPG's, and the players are bored out of their skull because of it.

It is only a matter of time before a development company delivers a huge success because they can and do think "out of the box". Unfortunately, the amount of time it will take has proven to be extremely long...

Just like it's a matter of time before we get that "ideal" or "right" president canidant?  Not gonna happen, will always be the lesser evil syndrom.

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450

I'm not a fanboy of any game and I say it how it is.  I haven't logged into GW2 for some time now because I found the whole thing repetitive. Each time I walked into a new zone, I thought, "here we go again, x vistas to visit, x hearts to complete etc, rinse and repeat" it just feels like a meld of things chucked together with no soul.

Being as inquisitive as I am, I rolled a panda in MoP (haven't played for a few months) and am loving it - lots of feeling, pandas are fun, game has gripped me. 

I can't see me playing GW2 again as I found it dull. Those rating it so highly, check back in a few months. I think it'll be half-dead.

This discussion has been closed.