Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I had more fun in Guild Wars 1

MorpheusMJWMorpheusMJW Member Posts: 27

Hello all, I haven't logged in Guild Wars 2 in about 1-2 weeks, just because I'm not having fun and had much more fun grinding my HoM, dungeons and PVP in Guild Wars 1 and I feel this is why.

Lack of continuous story : Sure there is story quests and cut scenes, but eventually you do them every few levels and the story is broken up and there is no character development in dynamic events. Also by level 50 each of my story quests kept bugging, over and over and eventually gave up on them.

Basically no roles in dungeons: The one good thing with healers, tanks and dps in other MMOs is that you can be a great healer, or a great dps and be complimented and also there is a sense of pressure and responsibility knowing someone is relying on you to do well, with GW2 that just vanishes, support or control simply isn't need, only dps and dodging, which wrecks all sense of achievement.

Skills are lacking for PvP: GW1, was so phenominal for PVP because you have 8 slots and hundreds and hundreds of skills to chose from, so you don't really know what your opponent has equipped until they use them on you and you react. With GW2, you see a warrior with a hammer, you can automatically narrow down his skill count massively, except for his ulility skills, this isn't a huge issue but still feel PvP is lacking.

Bugs, exploits and hacks: This is the big one for me. Me and my group of friends looking forward to GW2, 2 days in one of us gets their password brute forced, had to wait a week to resume play as we wanted the social aspect. That left us with a sour taste but continued anyway, then wanted to try 100% world completion, until many many skill points were bugged and people recommend switching server to fixed it!? Then there is the WvW botting, gold sellers and orr botters, its just too much.

Generally, everything is too easy: In GW1, a top level dungeon (FoW / UW) is still so hard that, 7 years after it launched, its still not gauranteed that you will finish them, one wipe and thats it. With GW2, checkpoints and everyone ressing, it just lacks a challenge after you have any tactics down.

Anyone feel the same?

Comments

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

GW2 lacks depth. It is the shallowest MMO I have ever played. So boring.

Most, wait, ALL of the mmos I have ever bought had some level of satisfaction when leveling up, except GW2. I never tried GW1 so I can't compare the two, but GW2 compared to just about every non-F2P was a fail... I played STO and champions online longer.

GW2 screwed up progression, the tried and true formula for any mmo. I'll give them credit for trying something new, but what they tried just isn't working. There is still a lot of GW2 fans, but they are dropping like flies, soon everyone but the biggest fanboys will realize that GW2 is the most shallow and hand holding MMO ever created.

I pray for the day that MMO makers turn back the clock and start to make MMO like they used to be, enough with the hamster wheel crap. I want long term progression that matters.

If someone finally makes a sandbox worth playing that is not named EvE, they will have a fan for life in me.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    GW1 was a lot better. In time, Forbes will be writting articles of the failure of GW2 just like they did with SWTOR. The community should not feed these companies money to make such games with little depth. They will just keep making them if we do.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I didn't gw1 bored me silly, gw2 is best themepark mmo since planetside / coh.

I didn't like the lobby like nature of gw1.

Ironically just about all modern themeparks are lobby games like gw1, once you hit endgame, but have the cheek to charge you a sub. - wow, swtor, tsw etc..

Gw2 being the exception, and to a lesser degree rift.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

How do you know the password was brute-forced? ArenaNet themselves have said that hackers rarely brute-force these days. The way people are getting hacked is using the same E-mail & password combination in multiple games, and on forums (some shady). If one of these gets compromised the hacker tries their E-mail and password combination and small variations thereoff all over the place.

If your friend had made a unique (20+ char) password for GW2, odds are he wouldn't have been hacked.

I can imagine the original GW being more fun to some people, but I never got into that game. No jumping when you're used to being able to jump things was enough as a no-go. You can still play GW-PvP and I hope you and your friends have fun with that.

imageimage
    How did gw2 screw up progression?

Oh you mean for once its not a EQ inspired raid grinder?

Bots are a problem, but bots are a problem in any popular mmo, look at wow.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    I had to stop playing GW1 after a week, it just felt so bland and samey.  GW2 is great, for me, I can log on and play whenever, but I dont feel COMPELLED to log on, so in the end, i dont burn myself out like I always do.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

They screwed up progression because I didn't care to keep leveling to get more skills, I didn't care to keep leveling to get better gear.

GW2 has to be the most boring MMO I have ever played, every zone feels the same, you have most of your important skills before level 25.

I understand that I have never reached the highest level, 80, but I can't remember a MMO where I had no interest in leveling to max level, except GW2. I felt like I had already seen it all at level 25.

If getting new gear that looks "prettier" is a goal of yours, I won't fault that. But for me I want new gear that is better than what I'm wearing.

Maybe I've been brain washed into thinking that purple is better, but at least in other games I had purples and new skills to look forward to. GW2 feels like a FPS game to me, here you go, you unlocked a grenade launcher, congrats, but it's no different than your hand grenades we already gave you, except they shoot 5% further...

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

They screwed up progression because I didn't care to keep leveling to get more skills, I didn't care to keep leveling to get better gear.

GW2 has to be the most boring MMO I have ever played, every zone feels the same, you have most of your important skills before level 25.

I understand that I have never reached the highest level, 80, but I can't remember a MMO where I had no interest in leveling to max level, except GW2. I felt like I had already seen it all at level 25.

If getting new gear that looks "prettier" is a goal of yours, I won't fault that. But for me I want new gear that is better than what I'm wearing.

Maybe I've been brain washed into thinking that purple is better, but at least in other games I had purples and new skills to look forward to. GW2 feels like a FPS game to me, here you go, you unlocked a grenade launcher, congrats, but it's no different than your hand grenades we already gave you, except they shoot 5% further...

Define "better".  Is it really better if you do more dmg, but enemies have more HP in higher lvl zones, so your time to kill is effectively the same?

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

GW 1 for me was utterly borring and the worst RPG I had ever played.

Notice there I didn't call it a mmorpg because it isn't a mmo , it was instanced so much , the PvP was a joke and generaly it felt like a unfinished game simple as that.

To me GW 2 is much better , much more depth , although it could us more I agree , and GW 2 is a mmo unlike the first one.

Originally posted by Derros

Define "better".  Is it really better if you do more dmg, but enemies have more HP in higher lvl zones, so your time to kill is effectively the same?

Better = when I equip it I have progressed. I understand in GW2 PVE you slowly get better gear for PvE and WvW,but you can't wear it in sPvP, the best arena to judge how good you are / how good your gear is. In fact GW2 sPvP is the worst BG/WZ type of PVP I think I have ever played in an mmo. Most MMO battlegrounds are a blast at launch, somehow GW2 managed to completely screw that up. I had more fun in War Hammer Online instanced fights, a game released years ago.

Maybe I have worded my arguement wrong, GW2 might have some form of progression, but it is the first MMO where I just don't give a f**k. None of it made me feel like I accomplished anything, nor did it feel like I progressed.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I didn't... Even tho I played since the release and trought the whole life of the game (with few brakes) but still, GW2 kinda brought that weird feeling to me when I first played the game, and it was present trought the first 2 weeks. Something like WOW did back in the days of its release.

But I also dislike the way personal story mode is "chopped"... So I decided to do the rest of my story when I reach lvl 80 so I can continue doing it till the end without any breaks due to level.

PvP needs a little fixing (the sudden leaves in tournaments and arena are drop dead annoying).

Dungeons are really too difficult (I'm not saying that I expect them to be easy). It's just that the dungeons look good and sound good as an idea, but they weren't exactly executed in a best possible way (far from it). Tho they are fixing stuff gradually, even tho it's moronic how they decreased the tokens gained from each run in the dungeons while the level of difficulity kinda stayed the same so people are less and less playing the dungeons. This requires the biggest and the fastest fix (dungeons) if they want to keep people interested enough to do dungeons.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124

Since this is once again just a topic with personal opinions... here's mine:

I played GW1 for 1500 hours. I have more fun in Guild Wars 2 currently than GW1. I'm positive I'll play more hours of GW2 over time and I'll have more fun playing the game as well.

To be honest, I'm having more fun while playing this game than while playing any other MMO I played in the last 10 years (WoW, GW1, LoTRO, AoC, WAR, Aion, DCUO, Champions Online, SW:ToR). And I already have a lvl 80 character with full exotics and a lvl 30 alt. I played +/- 200 hours since launch.

But that's my 2 cents. And since I'm happy playing this game I generally don't go on the forums to express that feeling (unless I have nothing better to do during office time).

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I feel pity for you. You are obviously damaged soul :(

Lol did someone use the can't tell who is best in spvp because they don't have l33t gear argument.

Gw1 was the same

Heres a tip, you can tell who is best by how often they win!
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Obviously you never did an ounce of research on the game and noone's fault except yourself since the qualms you site was stated that's not what the game will feature WAYYYY before launch... like a year before the launch.  Next time actually research into an MMO instead of being the mindless crowd that follows hype.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Ambros123

Obviously you never did an ounce of research on the game and noone's fault except yourself since the qualms you site was stated that's not what the game will feature WAYYYY before launch... like a year before the launch.  Next time actually research into an MMO instead of being the mindless crowd that follows hype.

He gave the game a shot, supported a company trying something new, but he realized after a while that he isn't enjoying himself. He is an ideal customer in many ways;  the market would be far more boring if there weren't people like him who were open-minded enough to try something new that they are not sure whether they will completely like it.

I would even argue that life would be more boring if people weren't open-minded and willing to take a risk and try new things. Thus I think an applause and a  "thank you" is in place rather than scolding him.

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Who woulda thought players actually need a reason to level up. I couldn't even play GW 2 from a single player standpoint because there was no point to playing without progression. At least when I emulate Breath of Fire 2 my characters get tangibly stronger.......lol.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    GW1 was definitely not for me in the long run.  And I don't know what people are talking about, you progress in GW2, ie: your stats get better.  You just don't have hundreds of thousands of HP.  I think people just miss loot rolls and don't want to come out and say it.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

GW1 was about you being better as a player.

GW2 follows the same path.

Many of those that say GW2 has no depth or strategy  will simply not know what to do with that light field that engineer just dropped on top of them and will die to condition damage, many of those that say GW2 has no depth will never throw a fire field on top of that sword/shield warrior or grab that warrior banner to use skill #5 to trigger combo fields.

And saying character progression ends at level 25 (last week was level30), when your elite skill slot opens at level 30, when you access your first grandmaster trait at level 60 (anyone that says that traits like Vigourous Shouts or Automated response don't change how you play don't know what they are talking about) or that runes or glyphs don't change and make your character stronger is BS.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    the story/lore was better in GW1 but otherwise i prefer GW2
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

GW1 was a boring lobby based game with a very empty and lonely world. GW2 is a fully fledged MMORPG with a living world. Apples and oranges except the name.

... every zone feels the same ...

You obviously (and you admit it yourself) want a sandbox so you're biased anyway, but this part of your post is just wrong, and anyone who has played the game knows it.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I want to hit 80 so I can have the full range of Trait points available for build theorycrafting.

After that it's going to be maxing out my slots w/ Exotic/Legendaries and the cosmetic grind is a big + to me as I already have 2-3 sets planned out that I want to grind for.

I am not the "hardcore" MMORPG player I used to be. I accept that.

GW2 is thusly perfect for me and my playstyle and life style.

I also love WvW but am saving it (mostly) for once I hit 80 (because I'm a hyper-competitive git) and plan on creating/rolling with a regular 5-person team for structured PvP (tournament mode of course).

All with no monthly fee, AAA quality (all games have bugs at launch, come on now!) and the promise of Arenanet to deliver on content updates, live events (still waiting for live events Anet LIVE TEAM get to it!) and expansion down the road offering (I hope) more weapon sets, more skills, and fun features like housing/guild halls.

It's a MMO, through and through.

I like what's different and unique about GW2 when compared to WoW - something TOR failed at IMO was not being different enough (I went back to WoW for a while after TOR, since TOR = WoW but not as good).

And though I'm a sandboxer at heart, there hasn't been a good one since SWG and SWG was a buggy, broken, unbalanced, steaming pile of mess.

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I always want a sandbox MMO.

That said I will say I am enjoying GW2. More than I enjoyed GW and I really like that. Anet did manage to make a real honest to gods MMORPG. I applaude them. GW and GW2 are different games and I really don't compare them.

Now if I can only get my hand/eye coordination and Mind Speed up  so I can enjoy WvWvW without it being a cliff jumping contest all the time lol.

Yes, I am PvPing again. Imagine THAT.  WvWvW reminds me so much of DAoC... with much better graphics and less lag ;)

Now if we can only get the Players on my server (Devona's Rest) enthused about WvWvW....

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

GW1 was a boring lobby based game with a very empty and lonely world. GW2 is a fully fledged MMORPG with a living world. Apples and oranges except the name.

... every zone feels the same ...

You obviously (and you admit it yourself) want a sandbox so you're biased anyway, but this part of your post is just wrong, and anyone who has played the game knows it.

GW1 and GW2 are so different that it's hard to compare - but hey the guy said *feels the same* - this is his feel for GW2, you can't tell somebody that what they're feeling is wrong, it's a unique personal experience.

I mean you COULD tell somebody that, but it would be pretty silly, as the feel of something is 100% subjective.

To some people GW2 could feel like Tetris - no matter how absurd that is to most, it could be totally true for one individual, you can't call it wrong because you're not in their body to *feel* that from their perspective.

Ok, then all areas in all MMORPGs look the same. No matter if the theme is cyberpunk (charr), technomagic (asura), high mountains or plains, snow or forest, it all looks and feels the same. In GW2, Divinity's Reach feels like Black Citadel. In WoW, Stormwind feels like Orgrimmar.

Nonsense.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Ok, then all areas in all MMORPGs look the same. No matter if the theme is cyberpunk (charr), technopunk (asura), high mountains or plains, snow or forest, it all looks and feels the same. In GW2, Divinity's Reach feels like Black Citadel. In WoW, Stormwind feels like Orgrimmar.

Nonsense.

It is nonesense - when you are trying to rationalize the *feel* of something - as it may not be based on logic and reason. That's why when somebody says "I feel ....." it is 100% subjective experience that might not make much sense to anybody else.

Saying that (e.g.) a snow covered area feels the same than grassy plains is just nonsense. Apples feel like oranges too, they are both fruits and round, ok?

But I'm done arguing the obvious. There's actually nothing to argue about.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !