Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too early to call GW2 a flop?

Comments

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

They probably turned some profit... but just turning profit isn't always enough, it is how much profit you turn.  If you invest 1million dollars and make 1 dollar profit in 20 years, it obviously wasn't a good investment. 

GW2 has sold well so far, similar to swtor, as you would expect from big name mmos with big hype in this day and age, (wow blew the genre wide open so much more people are playing mmorpgs these days), but did they sell as well as they'd hoped, we don't know cause we don't work at ncsoft... (get over it, ncsoft is the parent company that completely owns gw2 and could do whatever they want with it.), will it retain enough players to generate good money from the cash shop?  We don't know yet... but the game doesn't have enough depth to keep a large amount of people dumping money into micro-transactions... hell even LoL has a more efficient game design for that, and LoL is a moba, and gw2 is an mmorpg, mmorpgs are meant to have depth... at least they used to be, before the degradation of mainstream culture into the facebook twitter era of mindlessness. 

I will say this... if you will argue that gw2 is not a flop because of sales and b2p model... than on that criteria diablo3 is probably the best game ever made.  Shattered sales records, blizz rakes in tons of money from rmah transactions.... etc etc

But diablo3 is the ultimate proof that even a game with little substance and a horrendous retention rate and plethora of issues, can sell the best.  Doesn't mean it was a good game...

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    I said that 2 years ago
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It's never too early to be wrong.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by mxbx
    The fact is, this is just another in a long line of flops that's failing to live up to the hype.  Does anyone seriously deny that ArenaNet is spiking their sales numbers?  And let's not forget: it failed as F2P right out of the gate, where ToR and many other games managed to run P2P for at least a few months.  How can the ArenaNet fanbois call ToR a failure and GW2 a success when ToR managed to hold subs for months? 

How is that a fact?

How did it fail as F2P right out the gate when it's not free to play? Any game you have to buy and not pay a sub for is F2P in your opinion? TOR is a financial failure, nobody in his right mind is trying to even deny it anymore. If you have information on how GW2 is in the same boat, please let us now instead of just pulling "facts" out of you know where.

imageimage
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sometimes I have a hard time separating the forum crazies from the trolls... a flop? lol
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    A flop ?  No its not even close to being a flop.  Bad game design maybe but not a total flop.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Dont get me wrong i am not a fan of GW2 i think its pretty boring compared to other themepark games out there.. and it realyl didnt bring anything new to themepark games just things done slightly different.

Is it a flop?.. i dont think so they sold enough copeis and people will probally keep gonig back when new stuff is added. Remember there is no sub so all GW2 devs need to do is release paid for exp or DLC every now and then and most people will pop back and buy them,

• FurrballsFurrballs Member Posts: 30
    I dont think you could call it a flop as such, selling 2 million copies of anything is an achievement, retaining that number long term seems really unlikely, it will probably drop back to several hundred thousand regular players much like rift has, I would expect a fair few to return for the next expansion. For me it failed to give that feeling that its a new mmo home that you can stay with for years, sadly only wow or perhaps rift give me that.
  • TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by papaz1

I don't quite understand, why would you call it a flop?

- Lots of boxes sold - check

- Great reviews and reception - check

- Doing well on xfire - check

Add to that no subscription + Anet adding ladders/ranking soon.

What were you expecting?

Is it really doing well on xfire? Given that such threads get locked quickly, it is hard to remember. Last time I checked some people were saying activity was declining similar to what SWTOR did back in the days.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    A flop how, exactly? If you don't like it, then by all means don't, but if you're going to make rubbish claims about spiked sales numbers that aren't remotely based upon fact, then I have to call BS. As far as I'm concerned, a game is considered a flop when it's an event to run across someone whilst exploring the world. That is indicative of an unhealthily low population (games such as Ryzom and Tabula Rasa spring to mind). Guild Wars 2 is nowhere NEAR those in comparison. I still have to queue for WvWvW matches and am constantly doing PvE events with other people. It's only natural that after launch and the years of build up, people will start playing less. I as a person who loves the game am doing that myself.
  • marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Just had a ball running a level 61 storyline with 2 other people.

Calling GW2 a flop is like calling the OP a genius....

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• Ren128Ren128 Member UncommonPosts: 73

In book MMO isn't a flop, unless the company goes tits up (bankrupt) and the servers go off-line so people can't play it anymore. Either that or they add P2W cash shop (which it didn't have at launch) which changes totally the game dynamics.

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

NCSoft is a public company, they will release revenue figures in Jan/Feb that will cover the quarter that Guild Wars 2 launched in.

Until then, we can't say whether it is a success or a flop.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Originally posted by bubaluba
    I said that 2 years ago

Who cares that you were incorrect already 2 years ago?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

What were you expecting?

Is it really doing well on xfire? Given that such threads get locked quickly, it is hard to remember. Last time I checked some people were saying activity was declining similar to what SWTOR did back in the days.

Depends on how you want to see it.

Sure the numbers went down from a peak of 92K hours and 14K users to 35K hours and 9K users. You might look at this is and say GW2 is dying.

Or you can look on how WoW:MoP peak is 66K hours and 10K players, how WoW pre GW2 was on 50K hours and after GW2 but before MoP it was on 25K hours and 6K users.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

What were you expecting?

Depends on how you want to see it.

Sure the numbers went down from a peak of 92K hours and 14K users to 35K hours and 9K users. You might look at this is and say GW2 is dying.

Or you can look on how WoW:MoP peak is 66K hours and 10K players, how WoW pre GW2 was on 50K hours and after GW2 but before MoP it was on 25K hours and 6K users.

Or you could just simplify it and say that xfire has successfully predicted MMO populations. Whether it was WoW, Gw2, or SWTOR.

Statistics are fun!

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    People posting about populations...I thought I read somewhere that what is shown on the World Selection screen is how full the server is, accounts-wise.
    Which would explain why people are seeing servers being shown "full" 24/7.
  • Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

Im having fun with GW2 and there's always a lot of ppl around to play with, either PVE, sPVP or WvWvW. That has to be a good signal.

I haven't had annoying bugs at all. PVE may not be the best but is still fun. Dynamic events could be more "Dynamic" really and not so repetitive but some of them are quite fun. sPVP and specially WvWvW are pretty fun IMO. Haven't played tounaments so I can't evaluate that, but overall I found the game pretty good.

In SWTOR, I dunno other serers but in mine, Anchorhead, I hardly saw ppl around, maybe only in the very begining. Right after the server looked like always quite empty. And that is very frustrating in an MMO. When group finder came out my server was already so dead that it didn't help much. 

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

What was that company after,what is casual game? product for people who dont play much?

now if they dont play much,is that a flop or not?

Let's internet

Originally posted by NBlitz
    People posting about populations...I thought I read somewhere that what is shown on the World Selection screen is how full the server is, accounts-wise.
    Which would explain why people are seeing servers being shown "full" 24/7.

I suppose one way to check it is by logging in during expected low-activity hours and check if the servers are still "full" during those hours.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Originally posted by Djildjamesh

GW2 was not disigned to be a lasting MMO  (Meaning you buy it, play for 1-5 months - > put away)  < ArenaNet's own words.

THAT'S why they gave it a BTP modell and that's why there isn't any raiding modell in game.

Too many of you seem to forget that. GW1 was made with that same ideal (and that wasn't even an MMO).

This game is a huge succes and the numbers show.

Could you show me this quote from anet please?

It´s written in my collector´s edition book - ''making of GW2''

And i'am at my work atm

Originally posted by ForumPvP

What was that company after,what is casual game? product for people who dont play much?

Mike O'Brian aims to make Guild Wars 2 the number one MMORPG on the market; i.e. beat WoW.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

NCSoft may have other goals, and so may other key people within Arenanet, so I suppose it depends on who you ask.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Lol at this thread

Err yes its way to early
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Facti is... people came into GW2 expecting WoW mechanics and completely ignorant to the the design of GW2.  You don't go walking into the Panda Express expecting to find a cheeseburger on the menu.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

Mike O'Brian aims to make Guild Wars 2 the number one MMORPG on the market; i.e. beat WoW.

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

NCSoft may have other goals, and so may other key people within Arenanet, so I suppose it depends on who you ask.

Well Mike can keep day dreaming. He painted a bull's eye on his back with a comment like that. GW2 beat WOW...lol. Ok what ever Mike.

This discussion has been closed.