Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dynamic Events: competition for tags and mobs

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

So the warm and fuzzy community feeling of doing DEs with a bunch of other soloing starngers in the area seems to have gone already.

The focus now is so much in trying to make gold that DE's are now ultra-competitive AOE fests dominated by the classes with the best and quickest AOEs. I see many people who never stop to rezz anyone and some--those who have re-done a particular event 20 times already--going out closer to the mob spawn points and farming them there before others have a chance to "tag" them.

Nice idea--getting a bunch of solo MMOers working together and helping each other in unofficial raids... too bad they didn't account for human nature image

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see some significant change sometime soon that eliminates DE-generated mob drops altogether and replaces them with some abstracted rewards based on some measure of player activity in the DE area.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Iselin

So the warm and fuzzy community feeling of doing DEs with a bunch of other soloing starngers in the area seems to have gone already.

The focus now is so much in trying to make gold that DE's are now ultra-competitive AOE fests dominated by the classes with the best and quickest AOEs. I see many people who never stop to rezz anyone and some--those who have re-done a particular event 20 times already--going out closer to the mob spawn points and farming them there before others have a chance to "tag" them.

Nice idea--getting a bunch of solo MMOers working together and helping each other in unofficial raids... too bad they didn't account for human nature image

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see some significant change sometime soon that eliminates DE-generated mob drops altogether and replaces them with some abstracted rewards based on some measure player activity in the DE area.

What server are you on that this is happening? Been playing Tarnished Coast with my son a good bit of today and have completely the opposite in our gameplay experience.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'm in Jade Quarry with the MMORPG guild folks.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

Are we playing the same game?

I run a Support Warrior build and as long as I'm active I get Gold easy, even with Buffing, Condition Clearing, and Rezzing.

Originally posted by Stx11

I run a Support Warrior build and as long as I'm active I get Gold easy, even with Buffing, Condition Clearing, and Rezzing.

It doesn't happen everywhere and only some types of DEs lend themselves to this--mostly the "defend" types. I see this happen routinely in my server in all of those particularly in the satrter areas and then again in the 75-80 and 80 areas. Static defense DEs are geting farmed...period.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

It doesn't happen everywhere and only some types of DEs lend themselves to this--mostly the "defend" types. I see this happen routinely in my server in all of those particularly in the satrter areas and then again in the 75-80 and 80 areas. Static defense DEs are geting farmed...period.

Well if it really is a problem we know ANet will adjust things. They've already done it for Dungeons and WvW.

Don't see it as a major or gamebreaking issue though.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

Dont see a way to "fix" this. I agree it does not really make you work with the zerg, its more like anti your allies. OMG why do you kill it so fast. etc.

+ You only need to tag like 5 enemies in most events to get a gold reward. People are doing it for the drops, if you are a causual player that does not really care about the drops or tagging mobs, I am confident that this individual probably gets as much as 2-4 times less loot/money from a single DE. 

Well if it really is a problem we know ANet will adjust things. They've already done it for Dungeons and WvW.

Don't see it as a major or gamebreaking issue though.

Yeah, I'm sure they will.

I think they have a bit already: I've noticed recently that mobs that spawn a ways from the DE area are "immune" until they get really close to the area--closer I think, than they originally were.

But not all... I see this behavior routinely in the "bandit attack" DE chain in the ranch just north of Claypool in the human starter area. The bandits there spawn some way from the ranch and you'll see the teleporting botters and other farmers going after them there.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see some significant change sometime soon that eliminates DE-generated mob drops altogether and replaces them with some abstracted rewards based on some measure player activity in the DE area.

What server are you on that this is happening? Been playing Tarnished Coast with my son a good bit of today and have completely the opposite in our gameplay experience.

Same here. Occasionally i run into idiots who think they won't benefit from having multiple people actually staying up while attacking a champion but for the most part people help each other. 

There is this crowd of people who think it's 2004 still but they are far and few between. And, you don't have to have the highest DPS on the enemy to get gold. you just have to have done a decent amount of damage to the enemy long enough. I did that with every champion or boss, hit it for about a minute and then run around healing and rezzing. I get gold EVERY time.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Yeah, I saw some of those, but on other DE's weeks ago too. Doesn't really matter if you have people who rush ahead to kill, you'll get gold medal for the DE you're in easily enough. Unless it was about the loot drops that you were worried about, but then it's just as easily, either equip your own hard hitting spells or AoE dmg spells or simply look up another DE that's more satisfactorily.

Human nature will always be human nature, but the downsides from it are far less in GW2 than in a number of other MMO's. imo.
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Same here. Occasionally i run into idiots who think they won't benefit from having multiple people actually staying up while attacking a champion but for the most part people help each other. 

There is this crowd of people who think it's 2004 still but they are far and few between. And, you don't have to have the highest DPS on the enemy to get gold. you just have to have done a decent amount of damage to the enemy long enough. I did that with every champion or boss, hit it for about a minute and then run around healing and rezzing. I get gold EVERY time.

Champions and bosses are not usually a problem. Those do get played right and people will help each other and work cooperatively. Maybe because a total wipe is a possibility, people smarten up and play them right.

And it isn't getting gold  or lesser medals for DE contributions that are a problem. Those are relatively easy to get by participating.

It's the DEs that have horde after horde of spawns coming at you that get farmed for the drops from the mobs themselves and where cooperation isn't as evident. That's where the system needs work since people who are there for the drops are just concerned with "tagging" everything so they get a chance at a drop they can sell. Those DEs are not played as intended in many cases--not by all but enough to be a problem. Many still do try to play it right, specially those just going throgh the natural leveling progression in that area. But all it takes is a couple farmers--typically level 80--to spoil it for the rest.

Well-specced and geared level 80s downscaled to level 15 are much, much more powerful than a real level 15. A couple of those with AOE builds and a totally selfish farming approach to the DE can pretty well guarantee you'll get next to no drops from the 100+ mobs you just "participated" in killing.

I think you're not looking hard enough if you're not seeing the gameplay and potential economic problems this causes.

The broken bridge in Kessex Hills (NW part of map, just S of Meadows WP) that gets assaulted by centaurs every few minutes is just plain unplayable for anyone trying to "play" that DE. And it has been that way for at least 2 weeks now. Go have a look at all the bots and farmers there and then come back and tell me we have no problem.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I think you're not looking hard enough if you're not seeing the gameplay and potential economic problems this causes.

The broken bridge in Kessex Hills (NW part of map, just S of Meadows WP) that gets assaulted by centaurs every few minutes is just plain unplayable for anyone trying to "play" that DE. And it has been that way for at least 2 weeks now. Go have a look at all the bots and farmers there and then come back and tell me we have no problem.

You bring up the bridge, which is interesting. Since it's a high action place, I took my son there because of the regular battle and because I'm teaching him basic interaction (he's 5)... part of that was checking he is in the right channel and saying 'ty' when he gets ress'd.

Sounds like your server has a less than stellar community, at least during the hours that you play. Sorry to hear that. :(

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

You bring up the bridge, which is interesting. Since it's a high action place, I took my son there because of the regular battle and because I'm teaching him basic interaction (he's 5)... part of that was checking he is in the right channel and saying 'ty' when he gets ress'd.

Sounds like your server has a less than stellar community, at least during the hours that you play. Sorry to hear that. :(

Sounds like you have a better server in that respect. And hey that's great that you'e playing with your son. I started doing that with mine way back in Asheron's Call and we've been doing it ever since image

He hasn't played GW2 yet though...now he's busy with grad school. Going for his Masters in computer science. Man they grow up fast!

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

GW2 is mostly anti-social, so it's no wonder.

Every man or woman for themselves, because the ones that deal the most damage get the most loot.

You might as well consider every other person playing as bots or NPCS, because that is essentially what they are.  Get what you can, while you can.  A nice variation of a single player game (not really).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Sucks to cause a lot of the crowd is actually bots doing it...
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Srry to say OP but i´ve never experienced that feeling about DEs....

I see ppl supporting...healing...and rezzing other ppl in events...

Playing in EU Server.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    People still rez on my server, but some DEs are farmed and it is a problem, both IMO and accodring to ANet. They need to ramp up the difficulty a bit so that just AoEing everything wouldn't get you very far.
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Rezzing, buffing and general supporting of other players in a DE counts toward total participation level as far as I have noticed. So if you have trouble "tagging" mobs just thrown down some combo fields and AoE-buffs and you should be fine.

Noticed this as well, adapted accordingly. :)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Participation level isn't the problem. Loot is. Mobs only drop loot if you deal enough damage to them.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    I'm in Jade Quarry with the MMORPG guild folks.

wrong server then, I don't see this sh*t when playing.....when dead in a event the tanks even lure the NPC away to give rezzers a chance to revive without themselves dying.

Only saw 1 bot too while leveling (only 39 now)...guess I'm blessed with my server.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I usually rezz people while I play DEs and still always get gold. I do however do some AoE with my dual wielding daggers but I cant say that tagging a mob more or less actually bothers me.

The only way to go here is leading by example and help people out.

I think ANET actually have been boosting how much you get for rezzing during a DE, easier to get gold now when you rezz people than it was a few weeks back, but I am not so sure ANET can do much more here.

Not rezzing people in hard DEs might wipe everyone and fail the event, which might be a pretty bad thing.

Originally posted by Loke666

I think ANET actually have been boosting how much you get for rezzing during a DE, easier to get gold now when you rezz people than it was a few weeks back, but I am not so sure ANET can do much more here.

Since DE mobs are specially spawned just for the event and aren't the normal ones in the world, they could just easily make those DE mobs drop no loot and increase the completion reward silver to compensate... just an idea. I forget how Warhammer Online did it when they invented these dynamic events, but I seem to remember receiving tokens that you could use to buy special equipment instead of mob drops.

And I think you're right, they seem to have tweaked rezz contribution up some.

I find the contrast between this thread and the "so bots are really an issue" amusing. Everyone in that other thread seems to be aware of some DEs getting ruined by heavy farming but in this thread only some of us seem to have noticed.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I've run into this a few times, not doing enough damage to the boss through rezzing too many players. It's true that it sucks and a reason why some players won't rezz you during DE's because it takes too long because in combat and they're afraid to lose the gold reward. If Anet has changed that and added rezzing as working towards the DE goal then that's great. They just need to get it known to the player base that rezzing works towards DE completion more than dealing damage ever could and you'll have a whole new experience.

imageimage