Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is getting a bit more boring, every day i play....

Comments

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by tank017

when u play 5-8 hours a day what does one think will happen?

you'll get bored,sooner rather than later.

This is more like a Captain Obvious thread, 100 hours repeating the same single entertaining activity will result in less fun, especially if it's played hardcore 4+ hours/day style.

To play a game for a very long amount of time one needs to become either consumed by a very long grind (considering the game features no difficult gear treadmill, this is the "end game" many feel missing which would actually be a complaint in case it was there as this "meaningful" treadmill would simply get diminished with newer tiers of gear, different appearances may not be enough of a carrot for many but at least it doesn't become useless later on).

If you don't become fully addicted to a single feature then the game has to feature enough variation to keep you entertained - in this case there's basic PvE (DEs), exploration, WvW, sPvP, Keg Brawl, crafting, dungeons, playing the market and *gasp* attempting to play together with guildmates or friends. It suffers the basic themepark lack of variation as most of these are combat-based with different objectives.

Please understand that in this day and age, someone playing the same game for over a month is definitely not the norm - people just mostly hop around games. GW2 will eventually shine on this as it doesn't ask for a fee when you decide to pick it up again, it's going to be all about their updates quality.

• SilverchildSilverchild Member UncommonPosts: 118

If I wanted to be forced to repeat boring tasks again and again, just to get a new shiny "reward" once in awhile... oh wait, I already do that, and its called a job.

When I come back from work I want to relax and have fun playing a game. I log in and do pvp tournaments with my guild. No stupid grind, no bullshit, just fun.

People have been playing CS/dota/LoL for years without any progression. Why would GW2 be any different? People need to realize that chasing the carrot is not the only reason to play.

• EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

The 1st week i was so excited and i was playing 5-8 hours per day....

Now, after few weeks, i find myself bored and only playing 2h max and not every day....

I realised, that GW2 is not meant to be a "Main" mmo, just a casual backup game.

I feel Guilds are just chatboxes and nothing more, like most f2p games out there.... 

You did something for 5-8 hours a day for a week and got bored of it?????  OMG HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?!?!?!??!?!?

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Mysticwoot
    Originally posted by Urko
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I still play as much as I can afford to beside work and family. Opinions vary, as well as play styles.

Thankfully, there's pandaland for you to grind for the next tier of raid gear in... ;-)

You really need to stop assuming that anyone who dislikes GW2 is a WOW fanboy. You make rest of the fans look bad with this attitude.

Most usually are.

Then maybe Mike O Brian should have not made GW2 for masses? he clearly stated that he wants to beat WOW and be number one. So what were you expecting in terms of players who are going to play GW2? stop getting all worked up over it because Anet is clearly targetting WOW playerbase and they would love to have them in their game.

Source?

The only thing I remember them saying is that they wanted GW2 to co-exist with p2p MMOs. 

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

And.....crickets.

Funny how facts can really mess up the speculation banter. lol

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Why is this community so stuck clinging to a notion that no raids is better better than a game with raids? Really? If you don't like them, don't do them. What's the big deal? So WoW and Rift have raids. You don't want to raid so that makes GW2 better simply because it lacks them? That's totally ridiculous. I've heard the argument about gear chasing and that argument is ridiculous too. It's always the same. They get the best gear so they can ROFLSTOMP other players. In case you missed it, Raiders in raid gear haven't been able to ROFLSTOMP other players since vanilla WoW. Once resil hit PVP gear, that argument went out the window. Rift has the same thing. PVP gear is for PVP. So then back to PVE. Raid gear is only good for progression raiding. If you don't progression raid, then having or not having the best gear is pointless. My Rift character has a combination of crafted, Expert dungeon epics and Planar gear. Guess what? It's more than enough to outgear anything PVE in the game outside of progression radis. Expert dungeons? I can keep up with progression raider's DPS. Once you get to a certain point with gear, and it's easy to get. Then Progression raid gear is just overkill and has little value in anything but the hardest raids. The progression raid geared player can 2 shot a level 50 standard zone mob....So can I. So what if his did more DPS than mine, I still killed it just as quick.

Now, as far as PVP goes, the GW2 argument is even more ridiculous. The argument I hear all the time is that WoW PvPers win because they got the gear. Well, How do you think they got that gear in the 1st place? They sure as hell spent a ton more time than those who didn't get it. And guess what? With progression PVP, they have to have skill before they can get the top gear. And once they all get the top gear, gear is no longer a factor in PVP. So it all boils down to skill. The gear just means the PVPer had the commitment to get it and developed the skills to use it. Someone without gear dabbles in BGs every now and again and bitches that he lost because of gear. Well, that's only part of it. Let's take those same 2 players and put them in GW2. Who's gonna win? Yeah, the same guy who was committed to spending hrs and hrs and hrs honing his PVP skills. Not the guy who queues up for WvW in between his personal story and hearts and DEs. Oh, but now, it's fair because there is no gear right?

If players make the same commitment in WoW as they make in GW2 to be the best, then they'd have had the gear in WoW in the 1st place. So now they come here bitching because they lacked the commitment to get good and now want the game to either hand them something, or to take it away from someone who would earn it. PFFT. Ridiculous.

• goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394

I'll abstain from discussing, again, my opinion of the game... But I do want to say that the burnout argument is tired.

EQ, FFXI, WoW, EQ2... these games kept me interested for 50+ hours a week for months (WoW/FFXI) to years (EQ/EQ2). When a game is great, there is no burnout. That was back when I had much more of a social life, a part time job and high school/college; those games were so addictive that I made the time to play them that much.

• DaemonweaverDaemonweaver Member UncommonPosts: 124

I am still having a great time. Play at least 8hrs a day, still got loads to do, jump in and out of WvW when want a break from exploring and dungeoning. Hit lvl 80 weeks a go and still so much I have not seen and done.

I guess for me at least I have another couple of months of gameplay at 8hrs + before I see any chance that I might need to look for something else. I find my time in game so packed I have not even done 1 match of sPvP but I hope to start this month or at least by beginning of next month.

Of course this is all my opinion and every one has different tastes, having got my necro to 80 in full exotics I now started an Azura guardian, which is awesome fun and am trying to time manage between the 2. I have to say though Gws2 is very much a game that needs to be savoured and experienced, if you are just going to rush it and fall into the WOW kiddies speed farm trap (thank god Anet nerfed it) then GWs2 will get boring very quickly. However for those that are prepared to play the game properly, without cheating, glitching and exploiting their way to the top end gear the fun just keeps on coming.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by grimgryphon
    Originally posted by Mysticwoot
    Originally posted by Urko
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

I still play as much as I can afford to beside work and family. Opinions vary, as well as play styles.

Thankfully, there's pandaland for you to grind for the next tier of raid gear in... ;-)

You really need to stop assuming that anyone who dislikes GW2 is a WOW fanboy. You make rest of the fans look bad with this attitude.

Most usually are.

Then maybe Mike O Brian should have not made GW2 for masses? he clearly stated that he wants to beat WOW and be number one. So what were you expecting in terms of players who are going to play GW2? stop getting all worked up over it because Anet is clearly targetting WOW playerbase and they would love to have them in their game.

Source?

The only thing I remember them saying is that they wanted GW2 to co-exist with p2p MMOs. 

“We’re in it to win it this time,” said O’Brien. “We were number two to World of Warcraft with Guild Wars, now we want to beat them.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaudiosi/2012/04/23/arenanet-founder-mike-obrien-will-be-satisfied-when-guild-wars-2-is-the-most-successful-mmo-period/

And.....crickets.

Funny how facts can really mess up the speculation banter. lol

No surprise really. Fans love to ignore posts like these ;)

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

sPvP/tPvP has kept my attention!  I like the game but PvE has lost my interest.  I guess RL is my main mmo right now and gw2 is my second.

Some of these games people are getting bored with; SWTOR, GW2, TSW, Tera - have the potential to become great in a year or two.  Gaming is a personal journey, just have fun.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    I can understand the burnout. While it may seem like there is a lot to do, there really isnt. DEs seem repeditive, and not that much different than WAR, the hearts are no more different the combo quest hub reputation builders. The scenery is pretty, and the hidden stuff is cool, except they tell you that its hidden..
    Like it was mentioned, there doesnt feel like much progression. its not about new items, its about feeling like you worked toward something. Mmos these days feel more like crappy action games with no penalty for playing badly. No corpse runs, hell you can even self rez in this game. And there is no reason to get to know anyone else. No over arching story... Theres no reason to play this game story wise. Sure you create a story... But why? Ac is a great example of a game to buy because of the story. You brings you in..

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Why is this community so stuck clinging to a notion that no raids is better better than a game with raids? Really? If you don't like them, don't do them. What's the big deal? So WoW and Rift have raids. You don't want to raid so that makes GW2 better simply because it lacks them? That's totally ridiculous. I've heard the argument about gear chasing and that argument is ridiculous too. It's always the same. They get the best gear so they can ROFLSTOMP other players. In case you missed it, Raiders in raid gear haven't been able to ROFLSTOMP other players since vanilla WoW. Once resil hit PVP gear, that argument went out the window. Rift has the same thing. PVP gear is for PVP. So then back to PVE. Raid gear is only good for progression raiding. If you don't progression raid, then having or not having the best gear is pointless. My Rift character has a combination of crafted, Expert dungeon epics and Planar gear. Guess what? It's more than enough to outgear anything PVE in the game outside of progression radis. Expert dungeons? I can keep up with progression raider's DPS. Once you get to a certain point with gear, and it's easy to get. Then Progression raid gear is just overkill and has little value in anything but the hardest raids. The progression raid geared player can 2 shot a level 50 standard zone mob....So can I. So what if his did more DPS than mine, I still killed it just as quick.

Now, as far as PVP goes, the GW2 argument is even more ridiculous. The argument I hear all the time is that WoW PvPers win because they got the gear. Well, How do you think they got that gear in the 1st place? They sure as hell spent a ton more time than those who didn't get it. And guess what? With progression PVP, they have to have skill before they can get the top gear. And once they all get the top gear, gear is no longer a factor in PVP. So it all boils down to skill. The gear just means the PVPer had the commitment to get it and developed the skills to use it. Someone without gear dabbles in BGs every now and again and bitches that he lost because of gear. Well, that's only part of it. Let's take those same 2 players and put them in GW2. Who's gonna win? Yeah, the same guy who was committed to spending hrs and hrs and hrs honing his PVP skills. Not the guy who queues up for WvW in between his personal story and hearts and DEs. Oh, but now, it's fair because there is no gear right?

If players make the same commitment in WoW as they make in GW2 to be the best, then they'd have had the gear in WoW in the 1st place. So now they come here bitching because they lacked the commitment to get good and now want the game to either hand them something, or to take it away from someone who would earn it. PFFT. Ridiculous.

+1.  Never understood the arguement either.  Somehow I think a lot of those that "love" GW2 are actually what an outsider would call a raid-addict.  They can't play a game with raiding because they'll get overly addicted, so their ideal is a game without it so they can play it casual.

I never raided so it's a nonissue with me.  But those that keep bringing it up? Methinks she doth protest too much.

• tumpaitumpai Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by PsyMike3d

The 1st week i was so excited and i was playing 5-8 hours per day....

Now, after few weeks, i find myself bored and only playing 2h max and not every day....

I realised, that GW2 is not meant to be a "Main" mmo, just a casual backup game.

I feel Guilds are just chatboxes and nothing more, like most f2p games out there.... 

Welcome to MMORPG's.

Why havnt people figured out that they will get bored with every MMO they play?

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

I realy dont get gamers now a days.   I was pretty obsessed with UO when i was a kid but I still played other games.  You guys act like your suppose to marry a game and be monogamous. 

Me personaly i have a harem of games. Was getting a lil bored with gw2 started playing this zombie shooting fps. Had a itch for some gw2 after a week and 1/2 hiatus and its like our honeymoon all over again.

Being a gamer is about playing games to have fun or kill time. You guys nit pick at games way to much. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

The point is and you missed it, most RAIDS ARE THE ENDGAME. If you want to play the end game, YOU HAVE TO RAID - PERIOD. What is so hard to understand about that.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by abeltensor
    There is a reason you and alot of other people, my self included, are getting extremely bored with this game.  It is by nature extremely boring. There is no endgame.  (thats correct.)  Every class is a Healer/DPS/Tank so wheres the skill when all people do is zerg all the PvE content.  Even in a 5 man group there are no defined roles to play.  No one takes the blame or all the glory.  Everything about this game is hand-holding.  You enter a new zone, You find the scout then head for the heart thats near your level.  You kill stuff or play a silly minigame, then you explore a bit, but its not really exporing because its all marked on your minimap.  When you are tired of that, you do your Personal story which isnt that personal because by around lvl 35 everyone has the same storyline with minor details changed. Rinse and repeat.  I absolutely hate the post WoW MMO era.  Pre-wow, it took hours to get one level, getting a reward ment working for it, quests were special events that you did to get unique items and even learning new skills was a mystery in the begining.  Now everything is on rails.  Theres no running across the direlands to get to BSD like in AC or going on a 4 hour epic corpse run because you died to a bunch of level 50 brownies in a zone 3 hours away from your bind point like in EQ.  with the linear leveling system that GW2 has in place, you essentually hit the climax of the game around lvl 5 when you obtain your skills and then everything else just is an after thought.       IMO, After vinilla wow, the genera known as the MMO died.  All we have left are large chat rooms with detailed graphical UIs and even then with the new phasing enviroment and other features of that nature, the social aspects of these games get lost in translation so to speak.  The devs who are making these games are missing the point by pushing so much on the idea that they need capture a causal audiance of players because MMos by definition are not causial games.  You are supposed to get invested in the character you created.  You are supposed to put a lot of time and effort into playing these games to achieve the smallest of achievements.  Devs seem to think that if they make things more convieniant then the game will be better.  This is false, Extremely false.  

Thats your opinion not many share that point of vieuw rofl.
    Dont generalise and no end game ? seriously ? stop reading after that sentence btw lolz

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Lol im making a video on endgame for GW2 just like my other 2. People need to stop equating endgame=Raiding/Gear grind.

Endgame is a whole lot broader then just that. I think that's where the problem comes in with these games. People have the wrong definition of what end game really is. And naturally expect soon as they hit cap to go off on a magical raid grind fest and look uber. When they don't get that boom this game sucks I have nothing to do. When in reality they problably got 100 things to do just not what they used to.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Silentstorm

Lol im making a video on endgame for GW2 just like my other 2. People need to stop equating endgame=Raiding/Gear grind.

Endgame is a whole lot broader then just that. I think that's where the problem comes in with these games. People have the wrong definition of what end game really is. And naturally expect soon as they hit cap to go off on a magical raid grind fest and look uber. When they don't get that boom this game sucks I have nothing to do. When in reality they problably got 100 things to do just not what they used to.

You can't just make something up and call it endgame. Especially when that content is just an afterthought in better games - in addition to actual endgame that people expect, and indeed, WANT.

Oh, I'm not "used to" farming some platforming sections? Well shit, I don't WANT to get used to something like that -.-

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

You see what you did there you called it (making something up) Which means YOU in particular dont know the true meaning of endgame. The true definition of end game is what happens at the end of character progression. That encompasses everything at that point. Now what each person likes is totally different. So what YOU actually want to do for endgame may not be what the game completely offers. Now in this case I don't recall this game every promoting it be a omega raiding game. They went as far as saying raids consists mainly of five people/pvp/world map completion/ and character achievements. How in the world did anyone buy the game knowing that. Can even act 1% shocked now that you actually are faced with the very thing they said from the beginning.

Which leads me to believe alot of people didn't read or listen or only read and listen to what they wanted to. And not the truth of what was being said. I am not shocked I have no super raid big baddy to chase. Or shocked the story quest actually end because frankly i knew that from the minute i swiped my credit card.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

This thread here is a great example that we are all different. Just came from another thread where GW2 is the best ever and saying the tons of people playing is getting better in all zones from 1-80 and pvp wvw blah blah.... lol and duh its a unknown server being talked about.

If it helps I have not played in about 2 weeks. For ME getting new dyes are nice but like most mmos the lack or items kills it for me. I love though being able to change the look of your armor so it looks like lvl 60 and up. This is the 1st mmo I had to stop because I was lvling way to fast. 

But its free 2 play. A one time fee does not = monthly pay.  For me again I just wish the chat was better. Tried over 10 server changes and just gave up. From morning till nite only 1-5 people talked. And on all those it had to be stupid chat or they get up set.

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    I suggest getting a life. No game is supposed to replace it.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Endgame always seems to be what starts the fires for MMOs these days.

The only consistent thing I got out of all of this is that:

If the endgame isn't something I like, then that means it must be bad/doesn't exist.

This sounds cliche, and it sounds derogatory, but maybe it would be better to just look for something that fits your definition of endgame, rather than trying to force a square peg into a circle.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    " If the endgame isn't something I like, then that means it must be bad/doesn't exist."
    What if what people are trying to say is: if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Going by that I can totally see it. [imo]GW2 in its obsession with being different, falls flat on its face.[/imo] Instead of *tweaking* what needed tweaking in the formula and adding elsewhere it was needed.
    The square peg is now just a different shape (not a circle obv) for the sake of being "different".
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    " If the endgame isn't something I like, then that means it must be bad/doesn't exist."
    What if what people are trying to say is: if it isn't broken, don't try to fix it.

Going by that I can totally see it. [imo]GW2 in its obsession with being different, falls flat on its face.[/imo] Instead of *tweaking* what needed tweaking in the formula and adding elsewhere it was needed.
    The square peg is now just a different shape (not a circle obv) for the sake of being "different".

how do you figure? endgame is actually very similar to all other themepark MMOs you can do dungeons, do PVP, do PVE quests, craft.. basically everything you can do in any other MMO just without the raids. Also got the added benefit of going for map completion and jump puzzles as well

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Nah, they actually changed exactly what needed to be changed for me. Not everyone will agree with that though. I mean I imagine some felt the same way you did when they came out with Color Televisions.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

how do you figure? endgame is actually very similar to all other themepark MMOs you can do dungeons, do PVP, do PVE quests, craft.. basically everything you can do in any other MMO just without the raids. Also got the added benefit of going for map completion and jump puzzles as well

WvW is better than other theme park battlegrounds. Spvp is better than other theme park arena pvp.  Best designed theme park game world.  Best pve with the implementation of dynamic events.  It does away with a lot stupid mmo mechanics and is very casual friendly.  Most of the people complaining about this game are hardcore, sandboxes and traditionalists.