Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it too early to call GW2 a flop?

mxbxmxbx Member Posts: 42
The fact is, this is just another in a long line of flops that's failing to live up to the hype.  Does anyone seriously deny that ArenaNet is spiking their sales numbers?  And let's not forget: it failed as F2P right out of the gate, where ToR and many other games managed to run P2P for at least a few months.  How can the ArenaNet fanbois call ToR a failure and GW2 a success when ToR managed to hold subs for months? 

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Yes, it is too early.  I won't make excuses for it, and I'll call it like I see it.. but really, impossible to say, yet.  If you don't like it, thats fine, but we need some numbers, or its just a matter of opinion.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by mxbx
    The fact is, this is just another in a long line of flops that's failing to live up to the hype.  Does anyone seriously deny that ArenaNet is spiking their sales numbers?  And let's not forget: it failed as F2P right out of the gate, where ToR and many other games managed to run P2P for at least a few months.  How can the ArenaNet fanbois call ToR a failure and GW2 a success when ToR managed to hold subs for months? 

the fact is, you actually need something to prove "facts". you dont just pull em out of your ass ^^

"A fact (derived from the Latin factum) is something that has really occurred or is actually the case."

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• saxifrsaxifr Member UncommonPosts: 381

I do believe people were saying that Tor is crap looooooong before gw2 came out.

I also believe they were losing subs for months, as well.

RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Both games will have a significant number of players at any given time imo. No game can live up to overhyped expectations.

Wait a year and maybe better two when both games will iron bugs, get more content and then maybe we can talk about failures.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    The fact is? You are lost my friend....

Originally posted by saxifr

I do believe people were saying that Tor is crap looooooong before gw2 came out.

People were saying TOR was crap before TOR came out, even..

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

LOL....just LOL.....

Guild Wars 2 has a BTP model since GW1...it´s not designed to hold subs whattsoever.... never pretended or wanted to.

If GW2 is BTP (and not FTP as you said) it´s due to a promise made by ArenaNet to their fanbase to keep that bussiness model.

get over it....

.....and no...GW2 doesn´t  have Raids,nor trinity.....FFS......  image

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

From a financial stand point it probably isn't, depending on how much profit they were looking to make. It would be interesting to see what last quarter's report projected.

From a personal stand point it tops my list of flops, if I go by play time.. This is the shortest time I've played an mmo. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

It is a flop to me, so no, it's not too early to call it a flop personally.

Might be a tad early to call it a financial or retention flop though.

Had it been P2P, the servers would already be emptying out though.

bcbully beat me to it.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Give it a couple more months
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

GW has a VERY BIG fanbase...both in USA & EU.... empty servers any soon? Doub it.

Originally posted by Zzad

GW has a VERY BIG fanbase...both in USA & EU.... empty servers any soon? Doub it.

B2P will buy it some time.

Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by saxifr

People were saying TOR was crap before TOR came out, even..

As they did about GW2.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

[mod edit]

Seriously?

1) How does one spike sales numbers? By selling boxes? Derp.

2) Failed F2P? Oh you mean the B2P model that they introduced 7 years ago with GW1. Derp derp.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288
    From my perspective as a hardcore PvP'r, the game is a total flop. The PvP in this game is just horrid for a myriad of reasons. 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think it would be difficult to call GW2 a flop considering their business model.  I would deem it more a success.  A Buy the Box business model's goal should be to have a player buy the box and play for a limited amount of time maxamizing profit due to lower costs of bandwidth.  Then leaving the player satisfied enough with their experience to buy the next box.  Its a very sound and honest formula.   The real question is can they cover their development expenses.  If they tried really hard and spent almost a hundred million to sell only 2 million boxes, that would mean they are in the black.  In this business model I would imagine breaking up development costs of only around $20 million in development per box tops would be more ideal when they are successfully having several million purchase the box at initial retail pricing.

Its possible that people are just playing less (in some cases) precisely because it is B2P.  There's no pressure to play as much as possible, before the month's up.  Look at how suddenly TOR lost players, at the end of the month.  I always thought it was odd that people would play a game more, that they planned on quitting, but it does seem to sometimes be the case.  Maybe even often.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

This is the internet. Anyone can call any game a flop whenever their heart desires to. They can base that opinion on whatever they deem appropriate. So, declare away. I like to laugh :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    If not enough people are buying stuff from the shop or buying new box copies then the game is a flop.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I took the game to level 40 and left it, I don't know why, maybe because it's just feels like the same ole same ole. I will come back to GW2 whenever I get the itch to. So I guess it was a flop for me in which it didn't hold my attention after 1 month.

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

OMG its a flop....

And the world will end in few months too.

• DekahnDekahn Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Hit 80 feels like a game id play on xbox, personally to me it was a flop.  That ofc being my opinion.

Well financially it looks like some analyst projected sales of about 3.12 million.  If this is the overall concensus, it looks like GW2 has about 1.1 million to go to hit that number.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/guild0-wars-2-thanksgiving-in-tyria/

Originally posted by Vhaln

Its possible that people are just playing less (in some cases) precisely because it is B2P.  There's no pressure to play as much as possible, before the month's up.  Look at how suddenly TOR lost players, at the end of the month.  I always thought it was odd that people would play a game more, that they planned on quitting, but it does seem to sometimes be the case.  Maybe even often.

I think a sub fee makes people have to make a tough decisions about the game and maintaining a sub. It also promotes trying to get as much out of it as possible as soon as possible when your having to pay a monthly fee to access the game.

If the game is just OK and something they would not want to play that often, a lot of people decide to just move on and cancel the sub. GW2 is still on my hard drive and I even logged in the other night to try a different class, it only lasted a couple of heart quests before I got bored and logged back out, but the point is I might log in every once in a while, but if it was P2P I would of canceled the sub and never looked back.

This discussion has been closed.