Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game makes me want to give up on life.

MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

I feel like shouting obscenities and throwing things in response to this "MMORPG."  Doing that would probably have the same effect as writting any sort of coherent review.  The fact that this game exists, that there are people who play it regularly, is already proof enough that nothing can be done.  Yes, the game is being remade, but into what?????  If square enix thought FFXIV as it is now is worthy of being an MMO then who knows what they are cooking up now. 

I need a second to think this brough.  BRB.

Comments

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Kind of at a loss for words right now. Ummm, kk, what?

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    You're about 2years late on this review. Or did you just start playing?

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

meltdowns just don't get any better than this

:)

sz

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    You're about 2years late on this review. Or did you just start playing?

And about 12 years too old for this amount of melodrama.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by Magiknight

I feel like shouting obscenities and throwing things in response to this "MMORPG."  Doing that would probably have the same effect as writting any sort of coherent review.  The fact that this game exists, that there are people who play it regularly, is already proof enough that nothing can be done.  Yes, the game is being remade, but into what?????  If square enix thought FFXIV as it is now is worthy of being an MMO then who knows what they are cooking up now. 

Well you could go watch all the different developer videos as well as check out the website they are fairly clear as to what they are trying to acomplish.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Not gonna lie thought this was in regards to the devs trying to turn this around. Instead I got a post of someone wanting to give up on his life because of a video game. Disappointed.
  • tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by SaunZ

meltdowns just don't get any better than this

sz

LOL!!!

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782

Thank you for the responses everyone.  They were very interesting.  So I've been playing the game for a few weeks now so I think I can write about my experience in the game. 

Intro:  The game starts with an interesting cutscene.  Basically a caged monster gets out of control and kills some people so you and a few NPCs have to stop it.  This is a growing trend in MMOs.  You are treated to an action scene and join some  NPCs.  The point is to point out something wrong in the world that needs your attention and introduce you to who your NPC friends are.  Once this is established you are guided from location to location by a friendly NPC who lets you know what everyone in town can do for you (because it's all about you) and where you can go kill stuff.  This is all very linear and could not be simpler.  It serves as a good introduction to what the game is about.  Simplicity is holy. 

Races:  It really doesn't matter what charcter you pick.  The different races are just for show and stats differences are minimal.  Because everyone knows that everyone is just as intelligent and just as strong and just as agile as everyone else.  Nevermind differences between males and females.  Once again, simplicity is holy.  Lets not get too complicated and have to make choices.

Combat:  Lots of swinging and casting.  Everytime you attack or are attacked you obtain skill points.  As you level up you automatically obtain skills that do lots of damage or create an effect.  To use these skills you needd skill points.  So fighting is kind of like using a budget that changes very fast.  Damage is converted to skills points which are then converted to more damage (or an effect).  Some skills can be used in combinations to create added effects.  Some skills are only activated after something specific occurs, ie, you block an attack.  Being in front or behind the enemy can be important for some skills.  There are lots of specifics but ultimately the skills are just used to hasten the fights.  I have yet to find a monster that I actually needed to use skills on.  Regular attacks are usually fine if you start a fight with full health.  Fights are very short, not dangerous, and mostly spent waiting for a skill to light up, indicating that the conditions have been met to use it.  The conditions for them to be met occur every battle, which leaves very little excitment for when you use them.

Difficulty:  If you die more than a couple times between level 1 and 30 (max lvl is 55) you either aren't paying attention or you should be playing marbles or something.  Even if you do die a lot, there are no consequences.  You might have to fork over a very tiny amount of money to repair your gear.  The amount you will pay can be remade in about 15 minutes of play.  If you ever do find yourself in trouble simply run away.  You can run faster than any monster I have encountered.  There is also a SURRENDER button when you are in boss fights.  You can teleport to almost ANYWHERE.  The airship takes about 30 seconds to get you to towns, and you can almost always rent a mount for next to hothing.  Nevermind traveling.  Money is given out like it's going out of style.  The quest log shows you exactly where to go for each quest.  Things couldn't be easier.

Guilds and community:  I have joined two guilds and they are both the same.  Guilds are called linkshells in FFXIV.  There is usually two to five people in a linkshell at a time.  No one says anything.  There are no linkshell events.  I write to them both about how much I think the game sucks.  No on says anything.  I shout all over the open zones that I think the games sucks.  No one says anything.  I go up to people and say hi.  No one says anything.  In a few weeks of play I have gotten maybe four people to talk and one person to partner with me to kill stuff.

Leveling Up (aka the journey):  There is a system called "levequests."  This system involves going to a single NPC in a town and then getting a list of monsters that need killed in another zone.  You then  teleport to this zone and kill a bunch of stuff and are excessively rewarded for a fight that could not be made easier.  You do this over and over and over.  There is no need for parties.  So you spend the whole game from level 1 to what I am told is level 35 by yourself doing the same thing over and over.  There is NO content for beginning and midlevel characters.  No group events, no challenging monsters to fight, no struggle, just the endless "levequests." 

Story and Dialogue:  I don't know.  It seems like every charcter speaks with a different style.  I can't make out what half of them mean.  The dialogue can go on and on sometimes, it's too lengthy.  I just skip through it.  A lot of it has to do with obtaining wealth.  They talk about wealth a lot....  That's all I can make out.  There's also lots of praise..........  I'm not sure what for.  The main missions and many sidequests take you from instance to instance.  I thought I was supposed to be playing in a persistent world. 

Summary and what I would like:  The game sucks.  How do you spend five years creating this and then a few more editing it.  Nothing really matters in the game.  To make it more agreeable to my palate it would need to start by creating differences between the different races (and even sexes).  From there I would be left in an open world to explore and make choices.  No opening cutscene with an NPC fight and then being guided around by the nose.  NO instances.  Things can be eazy breezy up to level 10 or so but after that I have no desire to run around killing everything in sight.  Real danger and adventure in exploring due to monsters that can kill me, not knowing exactly where I am going, and what I will find is exciting.  Dying should have real consequences.  I don't want a solo RPG.  My self esteem isn't low enough that I need an online game just to show off my endgame gear.  Mandatory parties would be niiiiiiiice.  Lots of other stuff......... I'm tired.  Good night.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I recall these reactions quite awhile back when game first released....

To most of us here, and just about anyone who had a clue about FF, we've already known all these things.

So you coming in all of a sudden with OMG WTF is wrong with this game?!!? Is a little funny.

They are overhauling the game. Check their forums or the web for info.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

FFXIV 1.0 is no more, so the OPs point is academic, or rather historical, but still, as the old saying goes, those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to make a shitty Japanese mmo.

Every point the OP made was valid, this was the worst ever made, but at the same time very interesting, The reasons for it are complex and involve cultural and corporate issues that span the globe, and the game's rebirth will also be very interesting. Yoshida has just 2 yrs to bring up to date a studio out of touch with industry standards for a decade, and make an mmo that can compete not just with the obvious rivals such as WoW, (who's standards all other mmo where at least aware of) but GW2, SWTOR (shouldn’t be difficult) and those coming out such as Wildstar and even some of the sandboxes that may prove popular.

The level of frustration and depression, (even to someone like myself that knew what I was in for), must be used as a benchmark of what not to do, as I hope Alpha testers for ARR are doing right now.

At the very least this one will actually be and mmo, and not whatever the heck that was.

• jpflintjpflint Member Posts: 5

Thank you for the responses everyone.  They were very interesting.  So I've been playing the game for a few weeks now so I think I can write about my experience in the game. 

Intro:  The game starts with an interesting cutscene.  Basically a caged monster gets out of control and kills some people so you and a few NPCs have to stop it.  This is a growing trend in MMOs.  You are treated to an action scene and join some  NPCs.  The point is to point out something wrong in the world that needs your attention and introduce you to who your NPC friends are.  Once this is established you are guided from location to location by a friendly NPC who lets you know what everyone in town can do for you (because it's all about you) and where you can go kill stuff.  This is all very linear and could not be simpler.  It serves as a good introduction to what the game is about.  Simplicity is holy. 

Races:  It really doesn't matter what charcter you pick.  The different races are just for show and stats differences are minimal.  Because everyone knows that everyone is just as intelligent and just as strong and just as agile as everyone else.  Nevermind differences between males and females.  Once again, simplicity is holy.  Lets not get too complicated and have to make choices.

Combat:  Lots of swinging and casting.  Everytime you attack or are attacked you obtain skill points.  As you level up you automatically obtain skills that do lots of damage or create an effect.  To use these skills you needd skill points.  So fighting is kind of like using a budget that changes very fast.  Damage is converted to skills points which are then converted to more damage (or an effect).  Some skills can be used in combinations to create added effects.  Some skills are only activated after something specific occurs, ie, you block an attack.  Being in front or behind the enemy can be important for some skills.  There are lots of specifics but ultimately the skills are just used to hasten the fights.  I have yet to find a monster that I actually needed to use skills on.  Regular attacks are usually fine if you start a fight with full health.  Fights are very short, not dangerous, and mostly spent waiting for a skill to light up, indicating that the conditions have been met to use it.  The conditions for them to be met occur every battle, which leaves very little excitment for when you use them.

Difficulty:  If you die more than a couple times between level 1 and 30 (max lvl is 55) you either aren't paying attention or you should be playing marbles or something.  Even if you do die a lot, there are no consequences.  You might have to fork over a very tiny amount of money to repair your gear.  The amount you will pay can be remade in about 15 minutes of play.  If you ever do find yourself in trouble simply run away.  You can run faster than any monster I have encountered.  There is also a SURRENDER button when you are in boss fights.  You can teleport to almost ANYWHERE.  The airship takes about 30 seconds to get you to towns, and you can almost always rent a mount for next to hothing.  Nevermind traveling.  Money is given out like it's going out of style.  The quest log shows you exactly where to go for each quest.  Things couldn't be easier.

Guilds and community:  I have joined two guilds and they are both the same.  Guilds are called linkshells in FFXIV.  There is usually two to five people in a linkshell at a time.  No one says anything.  There are no linkshell events.  I write to them both about how much I think the game sucks.  No on says anything.  I shout all over the open zones that I think the games sucks.  No one says anything.  I go up to people and say hi.  No one says anything.  In a few weeks of play I have gotten maybe four people to talk and one person to partner with me to kill stuff.

Leveling Up (aka the journey):  There is a system called "levequests."  This system involves going to a single NPC in a town and then getting a list of monsters that need killed in another zone.  You then  teleport to this zone and kill a bunch of stuff and are excessively rewarded for a fight that could not be made easier.  You do this over and over and over.  There is no need for parties.  So you spend the whole game from level 1 to what I am told is level 35 by yourself doing the same thing over and over.  There is NO content for beginning and midlevel characters.  No group events, no challenging monsters to fight, no struggle, just the endless "levequests." 

Story and Dialogue:  I don't know.  It seems like every charcter speaks with a different style.  I can't make out what half of them mean.  The dialogue can go on and on sometimes, it's too lengthy.  I just skip through it.  A lot of it has to do with obtaining wealth.  They talk about wealth a lot....  That's all I can make out.  There's also lots of praise..........  I'm not sure what for.  The main missions and many sidequests take you from instance to instance.  I thought I was supposed to be playing in a persistent world. 

Summary and what I would like:  The game sucks.  How do you spend five years creating this and then a few more editing it.  Nothing really matters in the game.  To make it more agreeable to my palate it would need to start by creating differences between the different races (and even sexes).  From there I would be left in an open world to explore and make choices.  No opening cutscene with an NPC fight and then being guided around by the nose.  NO instances.  Things can be eazy breezy up to level 10 or so but after that I have no desire to run around killing everything in sight.  Real danger and adventure in exploring due to monsters that can kill me, not knowing exactly where I am going, and what I will find is exciting.  Dying should have real consequences.  I don't want a solo RPG.  My self esteem isn't low enough that I need an online game just to show off my endgame gear.  Mandatory parties would be niiiiiiiice.  Lots of other stuff......... I'm tired.  Good night.

You couldn't have played the game for a couple of weeks ... the game hasn't been released, and there was recently only a 2 day beta stress test >.>

After reading this i don't see a point to reading further in this thread, and am going to look for a button to report an obvious attempt to just bad mouth a game for counter PR purposes / missuse of these forums.

• jpflintjpflint Member Posts: 5

My apologies.  After reading this thread over again, i realise that it is outdated.  I thought, "why are there reviews in the forum section for a game not already out".  Then i saw the dates ... in 2012 just before the game went down.

While i may have been hasting in thinking of these threads as troll threads.  I saw 2012 and thought it was a review without even playing or seeing the game.  Now after seeing it was posted in October, 1 month before the game was shut down, it makes sense.

Though i still wonder what type of person reviews a game 1 month before it is shut down to be remade because it was bad as if it were actually a serious review of a game that is going to continue.  Also you had to have gotten your account before september before they locked the game to new players, so this person either had an account for a long time before reviewing (even though the post says after playing for 2 weeks) , or it is still fishy.

Since this site is relatively young, i am always on the watch for people trying to abuse it.  Apologies if i seem to overthink things and look too much into things. 

• nbtscannbtscan Member UncommonPosts: 862
    Originally posted by jpflint

You couldn't have played the game for a couple of weeks ... the game hasn't been released, and there was recently only a 2 day beta stress test >.>

After reading this i don't see a point to reading further in this thread, and am going to look for a button to report an obvious attempt to just bad mouth a game for counter PR purposes / missuse of these forums.

You do realize this was written around the time that the original game was ending right?  This has nothing to do with ARR.

Honestly they should just purge all of the old reviews since they're really not relevant anymore.

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Locking this since it was indeed necroed from about 6 months ago when the game was different.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.