Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mob tagging - why didin't blizzard go the whole hog?

expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I have noticed in MOP that special named mobs that you have to kill are not tag-able? in other words, if you're sent off to kill mr big pants and someone else is attacking him then aslong as you do damaged to him you get the credit.  The only happens on named mobs.

Any one who has played GW2 will know there is no mob tagging, as long as you do damage you get credit, which is a great system IMO.

Seems odd blizzard would not apply this to all mobs? but I guess blizzard would need to change their loot system to spawn multipule loot for each person, what about skinning? probably a lot of changes required to the game engine.  

Think we might see this added fully in the next expansion?

Comments

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    I know man, I really like this feature in GW2. It's almost as if companies discourage people playing together in an MMO. Not sure why it took so long for someone to come up with this. I hope we see this fully implemented in the next expansion.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Blizzard is known for ignoring good suggestions...

People have been addressing bugs or unfair advantages in pvp maps (AV anyone?) for many years, they have done nothing about it.

But you address a valid point.

after that mop release I have seen MANY players standing in circles around a mob they need to kill, not even trying to group up so everyone is done in 2 mins but just spamming area spells hoping their special will tag the respawning mob first.

I kinda like that mop expansion, although after 2 zones I am pretty tired of Asian themes altogether. still need to level....but on my free days I have given up on leveling through quests after 5pm......at that point it becomes a 'let's all mass login and play tag-the-mob-first game'.

You can make a list with 100 things Blizz could do, but they won't fix it, you can bet though that the next cashshop item mount/pet will be available soon enough though!

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Horrible GW2 feature...

People complain and ask for a MMORPG world where they can interact with other players.  If you have a system like GW2 then it's a singleplayer game with other people running around.  GW2 is nothing but AOE spamming trying to tag everything possible so you can get credit for kills.

Sounds like WoW has done the best of both worlds.  You'll now get credit for that 1-time hard to find rare named creature so you won't be sitting around waiting for a spawn.  But when it comes to normal kills you'll have to compete with other players a bit.

Crafting is another great example of GW2 failure.  In GW2 everyone can loot everything.  Making everything worthless.  In WoW (and all other games i've played so far) you have to compete for crafting materials which makes them valuable.  If you like crafting and invest time in it, you'll have an upper hand over someone who doesn't.  In GW2 you can just randomly loot whatever you want anytime you want and don't have to actually focus on crafting.  Eventually you'll have max level in all crafts in GW2 and it will be meaningless.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Painlezz

Horrible GW2 feature...

People complain and ask for a MMORPG world where they can interact with other players.  If you have a system like GW2 then it's a singleplayer game with other people running around.  GW2 is nothing but AOE spamming trying to tag everything possible so you can get credit for kills.

Sounds like WoW has done the best of both worlds.  You'll now get credit for that 1-time hard to find rare named creature so you won't be sitting around waiting for a spawn.  But when it comes to normal kills you'll have to compete with other players a bit.

Crafting is another great example of GW2 failure.  In GW2 everyone can loot everything.  Making everything worthless.  In WoW (and all other games i've played so far) you have to compete for crafting materials which makes them valuable.  If you like crafting and invest time in it, you'll have an upper hand over someone who doesn't.  In GW2 you can just randomly loot whatever you want anytime you want and don't have to actually focus on crafting.  Eventually you'll have max level in all crafts in GW2 and it will be meaningless.

So non-competition over NPC mobs makes GW2 a singleplayer game?   I'd definately love to interact more with other players but not in this department, I'm sorry. 

I agree on the crafting though.  Although I don't agree on WoW's crafting being any different.  If you want to look at an actual meaningful crafting system look to SWG (wait, nevermind it's gone..)   But ya, I agree, competing for the materials there was also part of the making it valuable.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I don't think Blizzard intends to move in that direction.  I think it's just design decision made to make it so that the initial burst of new Pandarian questers aren't getting pissed off about having to wait in line for a mob.  You'll notice those mobs also have higher health pools than normal, even if the damage they do isn't enough to make them "elite."

You make me like charity

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Horrible GW2 feature...

Not sure if make sense... In WoW when two people farm in the same zone, they attack different mobs. Each player attacks his own mob while trying to stay enough away from the other person not to waste time on tagged mobs. In GW2 two people can farm their own mobs or just same mobs cooperatively since you get credited as long as you are in the battle.

How does it make GW2 a singleplayer game when the players can actually fight the same enemies, while in your "better" example they have to fight their separate own enemies staying away from eachothers...

I know I'd like to see this feature fully in WoW if I still played it, and there's propably good chances that Blizz adds it after they sort out how the loot distribution would work.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by expresso

I have noticed in MOP that special named mobs that you have to kill are not tag-able? in other words, if you're sent off to kill mr big pants and someone else is attacking him then aslong as you do damaged to him you get the credit.  The only happens on named mobs.

Any one who has played GW2 will know there is no mob tagging, as long as you do damage you get credit, which is a great system IMO.

Seems odd blizzard would not apply this to all mobs? but I guess blizzard would need to change their loot system to spawn multipule loot for each person, what about skinning? probably a lot of changes required to the game engine.  

Not to mention you would cause massive inflation in the game economy if you gave everyone who tagged the mob credit for the kills.

Its a lot of work for them to make these changes, and isn't likely to change the sub retention rate any significant amount.

People are happy to play WOW as its currently designed.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah, having people compete over nodes is great when you get an army if both hovering up all the metal / herb supplies.

Sarcasm off/
  • nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

I'm glad they didn't "copy" GW2 in that respect, and hope they never do.

Mob tagging: imagine griefing a lowbie by "helping" him kill mobs - causing him to gain zero exp. To fix that, they'd need to scale down like gw2 does - which is another horrible feature - it's a chain reaction!

Nodes: having competition for nodes is FUN. I LOVE it. I killed countless players of the opposite faction fighting for nodes and even got screwed over by my own faction now and again (try casting blessing of protection on someone trying to get a node... cussed my head off that time).

Listen, GW2 is fine for those who like it, but please, don't turn WoW into that POS. Stay away from my game -.-

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

My only question to this is....why? why does the game need this from GW2 at all?

I can understand putting this on named mobs because its one mob with a slower respawn that tons of people all need to kill but on everything? Are we seriously becoming that lazy now? At most normal mobs have what, a 2 minute respawn timer? and since there are tons of them being killed and respawning there is always a constant cycle with more then enough available that hunting them down at most will take you a few minutes? was this ever really a problem or are we just becoming lazier as players?

Are we seriously becoming so anti-competition or anti-questing now that making people spend a few minutes looking for our own mobs or crafting nodes is just a little too much work or too much to ask of players? Why don't we just go one step further and just erase all mobs/nodes from the game and have the bear intestines/crafting materials just sitting in a pile on the ground that respawns instantly. We will make sure they are all next to each other so we dont have to inconvience anyone or make them leave the village and just imagine we went and killed/searched for it?

With GW2 its like where is the competition for anything? everyone gets resources, everyone gets kills for just showing up, everyone gets credit even if they barely participated....what ever happened to the idea of competition for limited resources or competition for anything period? How does anything you get in the game have any worth whatsoever if no one even has to do anything for it? shoot, I wish real life was like GW2, cause then I wouldn't have to do a damn thing except show up and I could get credit.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by nsignific

I'm glad they didn't "copy" GW2 in that respect, and hope they never do.

Mob tagging: imagine griefing a lowbie by "helping" him kill mobs - causing him to gain zero exp. To fix that, they'd need to scale down like gw2 does - which is another horrible feature - it's a chain reaction!

Nodes: having competition for nodes is FUN. I LOVE it. I killed countless players of the opposite faction fighting for nodes and even got screwed over by my own faction now and again (try casting blessing of protection on someone trying to get a node... cussed my head off that time).

Listen, GW2 is fine for those who like it, but please, don't turn WoW into that POS. Stay away from my game -.-

Node competition is normal when an expansion releases, my advice is to go back and farm low level herbs for a while, I done this last night since lots of people made new characters lots will be levelling alchemy, the low level mats sell like hot cakes and hardly anyone else sells them so you can set whatever price you like.

I like GW2 a lot but I never need to interact with anyone for anything even in dynamic "kill the big boss" events. In WoW within a few minutes I was inviting that guy standing next to me waiting on mobs to join my party and talking to him.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

Horrible GW2 feature...

and thats what GW2 is. well said lad :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Wow was made by EQ players and used the same mob tagging system EQ do.

But yes, it is a rather probable update for the future. That and EQ2s system of individual loot. Both are relatively easy to implement and makes the community better.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Horrible GW2 feature...

Crafting items are cheap because the trade post is game wide, not just server wide, so there cant realistically be any price fixing.  Like you know on some servers where people would buy up all the ore/bars on the AH then relist them 20-30g higher a stack?

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

Horrible GW2 feature...

You are so wrong here, it must even hurt. You prob just love to get the most money out of crafting, letting others not enjoy it. I have played many MMO's, with the drops and finds they had, only the ones that dont have a life or a job get the goodies and make things and sell for extraordenary prices. GW2 did a great job making it for everyone possible to get it done, no matter the time you have! And still the economy is good there. WOW has a bad economy. Prices way too high. So, stop complaining about GW2, because they know how to make a real game! Now, run along and play with your panda's! ;) heheeh

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Acvivm

My only question to this is....why? why does the game need this from GW2 at all?

I can understand putting this on named mobs because its one mob with a slower respawn that tons of people all need to kill but on everything? Are we seriously becoming that lazy now? At most normal mobs have what, a 2 minute respawn timer? and since there are tons of them being killed and respawning there is always a constant cycle with more then enough available that hunting them down at most will take you a few minutes? was this ever really a problem or are we just becoming lazier as players?

Are we seriously becoming so anti-competition or anti-questing now that making people spend a few minutes looking for our own mobs or crafting nodes is just a little too much work or too much to ask of players? Why don't we just go one step further and just erase all mobs/nodes from the game and have the bear intestines/crafting materials just sitting in a pile on the ground that respawns instantly. We will make sure they are all next to each other so we dont have to inconvience anyone or make them leave the village and just imagine we went and killed/searched for it?

With GW2 its like where is the competition for anything? everyone gets resources, everyone gets kills for just showing up, everyone gets credit even if they barely participated....what ever happened to the idea of competition for limited resources or competition for anything period? How does anything you get in the game have any worth whatsoever if no one even has to do anything for it? shoot, I wish real life was like GW2, cause then I wouldn't have to do a damn thing except show up and I could get credit.

Wows solution so far have been putting more and more of the harder mobs into instances instead. To actually have bosses that scales to the number in a fight with it is a good mechanic that makes the game less of a sologame.

Instances solves the same problem, but it takes away the massive feeling of a MMO by putting the players in small groups by themselves.