Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE server for darkfall UW?

Comments

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Originally posted by Pumuckl71
    Originally posted by ayronamic

People who think of FFA full loot pvp as "meaningless gankfest" are representatives of the linear and spoiled crowd from themepark MMOs, where death has no risk and gear is the main form of progression - which is a counter to DF's vision. Fine, so you dont like how the original DF worked out, but at least you got plenty of themeparks out there with systems you like - let DUW stand out. Some gamers these days are too spoiled, but it is the other devs to blame as players are being spoon-fed, which also further removes their ability to be creative.

If you could only open your eyes and discover the beauty of sandbox and the possibilities of risk.

its not the game that turns it into gankfest , its the playerbase.

I played  UO pre tram and after tram ....there were pk'S well known and feared and most important  RESPECTED

because they mostly didnt behaive like total asshats and mentally challenged F...s.

And tbh  the DF community sux big time ,its  the worst  of all the MMO's atm  , and i rather close my eyes walk by and say

i dont wanna be part of that crap.

You dont want to be part of such a playerbase? But that playerbase exists in every MMO, the more freedom the more possibility that the people who are nice in themeparks will be the opposite in sandboxes. There is no good or bad, every player picks his own road, and with more possibilities then theres also higher chance that itll backfire on them. This comes with the risk, nothing comes for free, stand your ground. Bottom line is, you will find all types of players in MMO, it's like in the real world.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

Carebear, risk free MMOs are that way ---------->

On a more serious note, I really don't understand why a PvE fan would even remotely be interested in this game. Everything in DF is about PvP, the devs themselves state very clearly they are PvP fans working on their dream game.

They don't want massive sub numbers, they don't care about being main stream. All they want is to make a living by developping a game they'd want to play themselves.

I'm not. I wondered in to watch the fireworks, when I noticed the subject.  ^^  Its the usual foaming at the mouth, I've seen countless times before, when PvP types think they might not be able to gank and grief to their hearts content.  I'm personally glad you guys have games like DF and MO. It keeps you busy and out of games I'm actually interested in playing. ^^ 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Wraithone

Carebear, risk free MMOs are that way ---------->

On a more serious note, I really don't understand why a PvE fan would even remotely be interested in this game. Everything in DF is about PvP, the devs themselves state very clearly they are PvP fans working on their dream game.

They don't want massive sub numbers, they don't care about being main stream. All they want is to make a living by developping a game they'd want to play themselves.

I'm not. I wondered in to watch the fireworks, when I noticed the subject.  ^^  Its the usual foaming at the mouth, I've seen countless times before, when PvP types think they might not be able to gank and grief to their hearts content.  I'm personally glad you guys have games like DF and MO. It keeps you busy and out of games I'm actually interested in playing. ^^ 

The feeling's mutual, everybody wins. ^^

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by indef

...a UFC league with no fighting...

Be afraid

They already made a UFC game with no fighting. Its on kinect.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430

Some games just aren't meant to be PvE or PvP.  Their mechanics just weren't created for it.  Doesn't mean it can't be done, but it would be a considerable effort.

DF doesn't lend itself to PvE, just like Vanguard doesn't really lend itself to PvP.

I self identify as a monkey.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Pumuckl71

People who think of FFA full loot pvp as "meaningless gankfest" are representatives of the linear and spoiled crowd from themepark MMOs, where death has no risk and gear is the main form of progression - which is a counter to DF's vision. Fine, so you dont like how the original DF worked out, but at least you got plenty of themeparks out there with systems you like - let DUW stand out. Some gamers these days are too spoiled, but it is the other devs to blame as players are being spoon-fed, which also further removes their ability to be creative.

If you could only open your eyes and discover the beauty of sandbox and the possibilities of risk.

its not the game that turns it into gankfest , its the playerbase.

I played  UO pre tram and after tram ....there were pk'S well known and feared and most important  RESPECTED

because they mostly didnt behaive like total asshats and mentally challenged F...s.

And tbh  the DF community sux big time ,its  the worst  of all the MMO's atm  , and i rather close my eyes walk by and say

i dont wanna be part of that crap.

You dont want to be part of such a playerbase? But that playerbase exists in every MMO, the more freedom the more possibility that the people who are nice in themeparks will be the opposite in sandboxes. There is no good or bad, every player picks his own road, and with more possibilities then theres also higher chance that itll backfire on them. This comes with the risk, nothing comes for free, stand your ground. Bottom line is, you will find all types of players in MMO, it's like in the real world.

Sidernote : its not like in the real world---tits a game ....if it were real world youd have to go through consequences and punishment,for every wrong doing .

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by googie23
    its a great way to bring alot of new players into the darkfall world and when they are ready they can come to the PvP server and start a new character. never make an option to transfer from PvE to PvP.

dumbest idea ever.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• reacaerreacaer Member Posts: 18

Darkfall is a PvP-oriented game.

Tho there are many ppl that love its PvE. The AI is great, theres no tab targetting-1-2-3 spam like most MMO's.. Even group PvE is nice and is getting some love with DF:UW.. BUT you have to accept that PvP is part of it.

Its not just PvE, its linked to every aspect of the game:

Politically you have to conquer the best areas for farming materials, try to hold control of an area to farm "peacefully".. Maybe trying to monopolize the economy of some rare material if you're part of a big alliance..

Just take PvP as a part of it. The thrill that an unknown danger lies around every corner of a dungeon or behind a tree adds alot to PvE experience, and when farming you always have to consider if its worth banking or keep on farming in greedyness.

If you cant take it - if dying is so unbearable for you - Darkfall is not the game for you.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Not sure about the PvP in this game because I've never played it.  That being said,  I can't see how a PVE server could hurt the PvP server(s).  I think they should make it so everyone starts on a PVE server and can travel back and forth from PVP and PVE.  You never know, they might just find the more folks like PVE over PVP.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by mastersomrat
    Not sure about the PvP in this game because I've never played it.  That being said,  I can't see how a PVE server could hurt the PvP server(s).  I think they should make it so everyone starts on a PVE server and can travel back and forth from PVP and PVE.  You never know, they might just find the more folks like PVE over PVP.

thing is it's the same issue with GW2 adding a PVP server.. when the entire game is based around something(in GW2 it's DE system.. in Darkfall it's PVP systems) creating a server that breaks what the game was built upon really doesn't make sense. It basically lops off and destroys what the devs are trying to achieve in their game and then why would they support these types of servers that have nothing to do with the game they invisioned.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

The very foundations of the game are built upon the principles of ffa, fully open pvp and looting.

It ties in with territory control.

It ties in with the clan system.

It ties in with the economic, crafting and gathering systems.

It is the fundamental backbone of the entire game and lies behind the ethos of what the developers want their product to be.

It is highly questionable as to whether the team behind the game have the manpower or resources to create, run and update a pve specific version of the game without having a negative impact upon the development and running of the core rule set. What is not up for debate is the fact that a "Darkfall lite" pve version is not in their vision given their own musings on the game.

But yeah, let's just whack a pve server in there....

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• CcDohlCcDohl Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by CcDohl
    Originally posted by CcDohl

In theory, sure, that could work. If we're talking hypotheticals, then sure.. I can concede that it might work. It's still not necessarily a good idea, and, in my opinion, not likely to be what they're interested in doing in the first place.

So you admit that I'm right. Cool. Thanks.

No, you're not right.

You're arguing a hypothetical, and ignoring everything working against it.

Cherry picking someone else's statements and taking part out of context so it "fits your narrative" is an awfully dishonest way to discuss/debate.

Try again. Or rather, don't. I doubt it would be at all productive at this point.

Well, isn't everyone arguing hypotheticals? Your original statement was about how you think that people want a PVE server because it makes them mad that PVPers have a place without them. That argument doesn't really hold water.  You haven't really shown that Darkfall must only cater to the hardcore pvp crowd or that, in some way, a pve server would do damage to that crowd just by its existence, though that's what you seem to have implied in your argument.

I responded that, if it makes money, and people enjoy it, and it does not affect the pvp server, then it would be a good thing to have.

You response pointed out, in short, that it either couldn't or wouldn't happen for a number of valid reasons, abandoning your earlier points about pve players being some sort of locust entity that wants to ruin things for you (which is what I was originally arguing against. I know it's confusing, but stay with me!)

Then you agreed with me, saying that it might work to have a pve server, seemingly admitting that it wouldn't necessarily ruin your own fun on Darkfall.

But now you're getting mad again, and I don't understand it. We started off in hypothetical land, you're the one who abandoned that discussion. You seem to be fairly smart and adept at the argument stuff, or you know the lingo at least, so I don't understand how you could make such grave errors.

Now as to talk about whether or not Darkfall should make a PVE server, or a prediction of whether or not they will make such a thing, I'd say that it's pretty unlikely. But that doesn't mean that PVE players are mad that DF exists or that they want to ruin your fun or that a pve server would necessarily affect the pvp server in any way, and that is a position worthy of ridicule.

• reacaerreacaer Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by mastersomrat

Just take everything you know from the WoW-clones out there and forget it, Darkfall is so unique and different from other games.. If you tried it you would realize that "just make a PVE server" is not an option.. In Darkfall there are no limitations of any sort, you're free to do whatever you want and thats part of its beauty.

Making people unable to attack anyone else just cuz they cant would put an "invisible wall", an unnatural constraint that is completelly against the core of Darkfall.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    A PvE server would be pointless. Name one reason DFO would be fun to play PvE only? The entire core of the game is built around PvP. You would have to develope a completely different game to make PvE only viable. 

Not really.   It would just mean there would strict limitations to the FFA aspects and PvP would be more like scheduled events.  

The game isn't designed with PvE as a main focus. Too much stuff would have to change and be added (some of the added stuff needs to be in) to make it a viable PvE primary game. For instance, epics would need to be added to give people progression to keep them intrested in PvE. Sieges would have to be more limited and guild cities wouldn't be raidable, making them bastions of a single guild/alliance's means of remaining on top (resource control). 

Thinktank is spot on here Xpiher doesnt have the vision to see it.  Yes it would work well.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by thinktank001

Thinktank is spot on here Xpiher doesnt have the vision to see it.  Yes it would work well.

Actually no, he is just about as far away from the reality of the situation as you could be.

Pretty much every single major mechanic has been built with ffa, looting pvp in mind. All of it. Simply turning off pvp/having it as an optional event would have a significant impact upon the economic set up, the territorial warfare mechanics, the crafting/gathering dynamics, i.e. all the major systems. It's like saying "oh let's turn off pvp in EVE" as though that wouldn't totally fuck up the economic/territory meta game.

Having them alter/rebuild all that just to appeal to a consumerbase that they are not actually aiming at in the first place? Makes zero sense.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I do understand: It's because there's no PVE Skyrim Online. :) 

Think about. Players who enjoy games like the Elder Scroll series - games with first-person perspective, a massive open world and at least some sandbox features do not have a solid MMO to play (and these are all features Darkfall has). I'm guessing there's quite a few PVE players who play those games. If there was a MMO like that out there, but more about PVE, exploration, crafting, trading, etc., I think it'd have a pretty decent playerbase. 

It still puzzles me why TES Online didn't go for that playerbase, but, oh well...

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I do think if Adventurine took the time to adjust the rules for a purely PvE server, with time spent on the content, they could certainly do it. It might even be really successful. I don't see them spending any time at all on a server where the only change is that there is no open world PvP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by solarine

Think about. Players who enjoy games like the Elder Scroll series - games with first-person perspective, a massive open world and at least some sandbox features do not have a solid MMO to play (and these are all features Darkfall has). I'm guessing there's quite a few PVE players who play those games. If there was a MMO like that out there, but more about PVE, exploration, crafting, trading, etc., I think it'd have a pretty decent playerbase. 

It still puzzles me why TES Online didn't go for that playerbase, but, oh well...

You can never convince someone who only enjoys PvP that someone is cable of looking at the same game enviornment from a different perspective.  To these guys PvE is a snooze fest, something only done to grind mats to go out and PvP.

I think its funny as hell to hear these PvP centric types tell other people how to play a game.  These people are incapable of experiencing any emotion in a game unless they are either chasing someone to kill or being chased themselfs.  PvE stimulates no emotion or feelings by itself.

There are millions of people that that find great pleasure out of exploring a game world, developing a character and farm materials for no other purpose but to engage NPC monsters or build a city.

Like thinktank said somewhere in this thread, non loot scheduled territorial wars between clans and players would work perfect in a mostly PvE version of DF and be wildly successfull.  As in opening mulitple servers for NA popular.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

There would be a huge audience for quality PvE sandbox that I agree with. But I dont really see how DF:UW would be that, if they really have built everything for PvP. Would be great if someone made a proper PvE sandbox, or something that had different server rulesets but would be a sandbox.

I can see why people would love to see it for DF though since there's really nothing in the horizon on the mmo genre that would satisfy a PvE sandboxer.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811
    NO, because you can't take away the only reason PvP servers exist in the game: ganking. You can't have people learning the game in a decent enviornment. They need to be able to regret their desicion to play the game immediatley!
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by googie23
    its a great way to bring alot of new players into the darkfall world and when they are ready they can come to the PvP server and start a new character. never make an option to transfer from PvE to PvP.

Seriously...you just offended every Darkfall player ever...this is as bad an idea as i've ever heard.  This game would not work as a pve game because all of the pve is based around pvp.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by uohaloran
    NO, because you can't take away the only reason PvP servers exist in the game: ganking. You can't have people learning the game in a decent enviornment. They need to be able to regret their desicion to play the game immediatley!

Hahaha that made me laugh.

Seriously I think they would be shooting themselves in the foot if they didnt make a PvE server, at least in the sense of having safe areas. A lot of people prefer consentual PvP, without worrying about some loser camping the low level areas ganking people, not supporting that would lower the potential player base a lot.

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373

I understand this is a PvP game.  That said, the goal of any company should be to make money.  First, there is no harm in making at least one PvE server.  It wouldn't hurt PvP players or PvP servers as they would be on another server all together.  Secondly, if the Dev's found there was much interest in the PvE side, they could simply start creating content for it.  If they find no or little interest, it's a simple matter of flipping a switch to shut it down.

Wurm Online when it first released was also a crafting / PvP game and was doing vary poorly.  They made a PvE server and found more folks wanted the PvE side than PvP.  They also found at time, people wanted to play the PvP side, so made it so that people could travel from one to the other.

Best of both worlds.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by uohaloran

Your attempt at sarcasm fails. Horribly.

1. They're implementing protected areas for new players to learn the game prior to going out into the PvP areas.  So, yes, there will be a "decent environment" for people to learn the game in.

2. If being PK'd in a FFA PvP MMO would "make you regret your decision to play", then why the hell are you playing a FFA PvP MMO in the first place. They're not exactly deceiving anyone about the kind of the game it is.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

I agree. A PvE sandbox would be nice too, I'd surely play one aswell, if there was such a thing. DF just wasn't designed for it however, that's the bottom line. It's like asking SOE to open a PvE server for Planetside 2. It doesn't make much sense.

This discussion has been closed.