Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling rapid decay of enthusiasm

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by fixif

I don't get the whole "take a break" argument in any game to be perfectly honest. If you have to take breaks, that probably means you don't like the game as much as you think you do.

You were caught up in "new and shiny" for two weeks and thats when it starts getting to you.

If I like the game I will probably play it as musch as I can because I enjoy it so much.

If you get "burnt out" that just means you were bored from the very beginning and this was just the breaking point.

If you eat steak every day it will get old fast. Games are the same. Not that hard of a concept to be honest. 

For some it simply takes longer than others before they are sick of it and need something else for a while.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

I don't get the whole "take a break" argument in any game to be perfectly honest. If you have to take breaks, that probably means you don't like the game as much as you think you do.

You were caught up in "new and shiny" for two weeks and thats when it starts getting to you.

If I like the game I will probably play it as musch as I can because I enjoy it so much.

If you get "burnt out" that just means you were bored from the very beginning and this was just the breaking point.

Totally disagree with this, I have got burnt out on on WoW on a number of occasions, and still gone back later to really enjoy the game, things about the game get to you so you leave till they are changed then come back at a later time.

Most take breaks because they have done almost all the content and are just killing time in the game till new content hits, power games have this worst of all because they eat though content so much faster than the casual gamer.

Just got back to playing ToR after a break and I'm really enjoying it, once I use up the content then I will probably move back to GW2, WoW or even DDO.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i used to LOVE dungeon crawlers.. diablo, titans quest, dungeon seige, nox... then for years didn't play a single one till D3 came out.. played that for a week and was bored out my mind.. thought maybe it was the game. Got torchlight 2 played for a few days and again bored out my mind. For me I think I just lost the drive to play these types of games.. even after YEARS break between them the gameplay and style has just lost the appeal to me and unless something comes along that completely flips the genre upside down I probably won't enjoy one for a very long time if ever again.. I think same sort of thing happens with themepark MMOs for people and any other type of game for that matter.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Play a different game and then come back.  Or read a book instead.  That is the beauty of buy to play.

I did that multiple times with GW1.  Only reason to feel stuck on the game is if you have a guild or friends or something.  I get tired of games all the time and come back to them.

• Originally posted by Aerowyn
    i used to LOVE dungeon crawlers.. diablo, titans quest, dungeon seige, nox... then for years didn't play a single one till D3 came out.. played that for a week and was bored out my mind.. thought maybe it was the game. Got torchlight 2 played for a few days and again bored out my mind. For me I think I just lost the drive to play these types of games.. even after YEARS break between them the gameplay and style has just lost the appeal to me and unless something comes along that completely flips the genre upside down I probably won't enjoy one for a very long time if ever again.. I think same sort of thing happens with themepark MMOs for people and any other type of game for that matter.

Yeah I can't seem to play isometric action RPGs like TQ or old diablo any more.  I am vaguely tempted by Torchlight 2 but I know I will get bored by level 10 or 20.

I guess I just feel there is so little variation and so little in the interface that its just all the same now.  At least with an FPS the interface itself is enough of a challenge to make them fresh.  But point and click is just point and click and min/max is just min/max.  Diablo-style ARPGs are all just min/max and with point click.  And since I am not much of a loot whore they invariably lose their charm rather fast now.

• Originally posted by Kalmarth

Totally disagree with this, I have got burnt out on on WoW on a number of occasions, and still gone back later to really enjoy the game, things about the game get to you so you leave till they are changed then come back at a later time.

Most take breaks because they have done almost all the content and are just killing time in the game till new content hits, power games have this worst of all because they eat though content so much faster than the casual gamer.

Just got back to playing ToR after a break and I'm really enjoying it, once I use up the content then I will probably move back to GW2, WoW or even DDO.

I don't eat the same meal everyday, why would I play the same game (or any activity) everyday?

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

can't play 10+hrs everyday, that's what keeps me going.

I play of and on, then 2-3 hrs...then 1 hr or couple times/day with breaks in it.

No need to go race to 'endgame', no rush, enjoying the events, graphics, zones, champion mobs........

still love the game.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

This. I think you hit the nail right on its head. It's only something that a number of people who keep complaining about MMO's on this site haven't realized for themselves yet: that after years and years and many dozens of thousands of hours of playing, it simply might not do it for themselves anymore like it used to.

A principle of diminishing returns or simply a shift in interests that can trigger their fun. There are a number of gaming genres - beat 'em ups, platforms, 2D scrolling shooters etc - that I have fond memories of and that I played to the extreme years past. Yet they just don't do it for me anymore. I've tried a number of them over the past years, until I realized that how nostalgic and fond my happy memories of them may be, they're not games and genres that can provide me my gaming fun anymore.

I'm sure that's the case with more people but then when it comes to MMO gaming, not all ofc, and that a number of people haven't realized it yet, clinging to the hope that maybe the next MMO or a different MMO will give them the level of excitement and fun that they recall having years and years back, in their early years of MMO gaming.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by smh_alot
    This. I think you hit the nail right on its head. It's only something that a number of people who keep complaining about MMO's on this site haven't realized for themselves yet: that after years and years and many dozens of thousands of hours of playing, it simply might not do it for themselves anymore like it used to.

A principle of diminishing returns or simply a shift in interests that can trigger their fun. There are a number of gaming genres - beat 'em ups, platforms, 2D scrolling shooters etc - that I have fond memories of and that I played to the extreme years past. Yet they just don't do it for me anymore. I've tried a number of them over the past years, until I realized that how nostalgic and fond my happy memories of them may be, they're not games and genres that can provide me my gaming fun anymore.

I'm sure that's the case with more people but then when it comes to MMO gaming, not all ofc, and that a number of people haven't realized it yet, clinging to the hope that maybe the next MMO or a different MMO will give them the level of excitement and fun that they recall having years and years back, in their early years of MMO gaming.

Or maybe.....just maybe....the game gets boring rather quickly?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by grimal

yet as you can see with the OP and many others on this site it's the same song and dance with every new MMO.. excited to play,  game releases, bored in less than a month over and over..  obviously some just do find it boring but think more will start to realize they just aren't that into MMOs anymore or at least themepark MMOs

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Yeah.. i'm starting to think that 80 levels just wasn't needed as a cap in this game.. The customization is not in the levels (much like the first one), and the effects of leveling to 80 are pretty transparent in other modes other than pure PvE.

The journey lost alot of it's steam for me in the general PvE direction.. Story quests are too spread out sometimes and leveling in between in simply a grind of events or searching for hearts that can only be completed once. One time ever.

World vs world has become a little more fun, still has it's issues but none of those are massive or game breaking for me..

I am still curious as to how they plan to keep this game alive over the coming months.. It's obvious on the large scale PvP side, but for those not interested in PvP, how will they keep the PvE side of things interesting?

Hopefully not by adding more levels to grind through.. I would like to actually see the same map used with perhaps a better "helping heart" system that has more than one heart in an area that is chosen by random each day each with different requirements (say one day you are helping a farmer grow crops, the next day the heart could be for a merchant in the same area asking you to help clear the roads so he can travel to sell the farmers crops)

Just a few cents..

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Arena Net made a huge misstake by allowing you to get most of your skills by level 50. It is like they ran out of ideas for skills or something because those last levels should give you your most powerful skills but they dont give you shit except some passive trait bonuses.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I got bored by level 14, so I have no clue how you guys are getting to 60+.  I have a really low tollerance for doing the same thing over and over, though, so I suppose that's my problem.  The game is definitely one big grind.

You make me like charity

yet as you can see with the OP and many others on this site it's the same song and dance with every new MMO.. excited to play,  game releases, bored in less than a month over and over..  obviously some just do find it boring but think more will start to realize they just aren't that into MMOs anymore or at least themepark MMOs

If you follow that logic then most people are not that into ThemePark MMO's anymore. Rift, Secret World, SW:TOR and soon GW 2 lost about 50% of its initial sub. base in a couple of months and by a year they are down to less than 20%.

I don't think ThemePark or sandbox is the problem, it rather seems to be that MMO's are not designed too last anymore. Specially a game without sub. fee has no invested interest to retain alot of people. They will get those back when they release the next expansion.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Yamota
    those last levels should give you your most powerful skills

I have to wonder - who says?  This is not strictly a defense of ANet, it's just that I see so many people complaining that this or that MMO does not do something exactly the same as another MMO, or worse, the most popular MMO/s.  We'll never break away from WoW clones completely if no one changes anything.

Originally posted by Eir_S

I have to wonder - who says?  This is not strictly a defense of ANet, it's just that I see so many people complaining that this or that MMO does not do something exactly the same as another MMO, or worse, the most popular MMO/s.  We'll never break away from WoW clones completely if no one changes anything.

It comes naturally that when you have something from 1-X then those last levels should give you greater reward because they are both harder to get and also to give you something to strive for. Right now at level 65 I dont know why I am leveling anymore, only thing that I should be grinding is karma because levels are pretty much useless from now on.

Also, WoW is not the first game which gave you powerful spells at higher levels. Pretty much every MMO is like that.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Who says?  Yamota says...and not just him.

Wow didnt create that process of progression and its not limited to themeparks.

Removing rewards for progression was really a dumb move for this game, as was their decision to remove an entire class role and ignore any form of endgame..

People look, play, and feel the same from what...level 5 untill max level?  Yeah sounds fun /s

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

If you follow that logic then most people are not that into ThemePark MMO's anymore. Rift, Secret World, SW:TOR and soon GW 2 lost about 50% of its initial sub. base in a couple of months and by a year they are down to less than 20%.

I don't think ThemePark or sandbox is the problem, it rather seems to be that MMO's are not designed too last anymore. Specially a game without sub. fee has no invested interest to retain alot of people. They will get those back when they release the next expansion.

Part of the problem is that the playbase has become way more effecient at consuming MMO content than even 5 or 10 years ago.  Games today are being released about as "complete" as games yesterday, so to speak, but today we have fan sites devoted to breaking down every bit of content and mechanics, and determiniing the best paths, or how to kill the bosses, or what talents to take, or whatever.

I think a big cause is the way developers have taken beta testing to be more like advertising rather than actual testing.  They just want to generate some interest and get people salivating at the mouth over it.  By the time it's released, and the NDA is expired, the game is essentially a year old at birth, in terms of what people know about it.

You make me like charity

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm not saying I prefer GW2's way of doing things, I actually like gaining skills at max level, I just think a lot of people want MMOs to be similar but then they get tired of the same game with a different publisher...
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I think having gw2 as my side mmo has prolonged my interest in it.If i would have kept it as my main mmo i would have been burnt out a while ago.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Heart quests are boring, running from heart to heart really wont give you anything new, you are basically playing GW2 like a quest hub game. If you get involved in the zonewide Dynamic Events it is a very very very different experience.

Just yesterday I spent hours helping the humans retake the centaur camps. When me and my friends first got to the zone the centaurs were running the show, even had some of the human settlements, a few hours later we had rallied about a hundred players in the final showdown against the centaur leader, who was really pissed off that we had taken over all his land. It was a pretty epic battle, even with that many players. Summoning massive elementals and calling on the wind itself to attack us. 

Thats the sort of thing you experience if you pay attention to the NPCs asking for help and participate in Dynamic Events rather than just running around for 100% map completion. Most maps have an overarching Dynamic Event chain which leads to a battle with the big nemesis for the zone, if you want a unique experience that is the path you should be following. 

I really do feel bad for people that think the game is about heart quests, they really do miss the entire point of the living and dynamic world that is there to be explored. But some people are always going to have a hard time doing something new.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Elikal

Despite what you may think, overall I did have a lot of fun in the first weeks. But now, in the last week or so, I suddenly feel a rapid decay of fun and enthusiasm. Like I log in less and feel less inclined to continue to play ANY of my chars.

My main is Warrior lv 66, (where on top, my story is bug-stuck with level 50), and I just could not bring myself to play today, despite being bored. I can't even say exactly why.

I just feel "oh my, another heart gather some phooey something". And what DEFINITELY starts to bug me: I didn't learn ANY new abilities for ages. Besides some extras, my chars have the same skills as they had with level 5. Looking forward to new abilities always was a major drive in MMOs for me. And this heart thing... hm. I enjoyed it at first, but now it feels kinda boring. I sort of miss the more directed, guided, dense approach of real questlines, which deliver a story more clear and coherent. Lack of trinity and real teamwork also starts to feel more lacking now that I play a longer time, and I feel like everyone is a soloer and jack of all trades and rarely anyone ever groups or talks.

Sigh.

Not sure. Just a sort of feeling.

EDIT: I never thought I'd say that, but I liked the quests and classes from SWTOR better. Sue me...

I think being that its a bad game people are getting bored of it

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by redman875

Im not sure why anyone is surprised that a game with this much unfounded hype is now comming back down to earth.

Yeah because a game with no endgame was going to be game of the century or whatever...right?

This is one of the biggest problems I have with the debate.  The game never left the atmospehere.  The developer was transparent with the fact that the game was end game.  Was I the only one who heard that before it released? Why would you believe ANYBODY that would call this game the game of the century? Doesnt even make sense, so why give it merit?

I think the hype is self-fulfilling prophecy based on the fact that you (all) believe it exists in the first place.  Under that logic every new game will be HYPED because it will be promoted and advertised to a playing public.  I can predict TODAY that Elder Scrolls Online will be 'HYPED'  When does this stop?  It adds nothing to the discussion.

What we are experiencing are simply people who had an idea/view of the game (myself included) where it just didnt meet expectations. Others trying to show additional ways to enjoy it.  I particularly like these threads.

It doesn't make the game a FAIL.  Guess what? Its going to happen to EVERY MMO.  I like hearing what issues people have, as some of them I agree with.  I pre-purchased the game and was in every BWE.  I thoroughly enjoyed my first few days but soon realized everything the game had to offer just was not an interest to me.  I discovered I like progression and (slow) growth.  Something I learned after playing GW2 which I thought I was going to be my main MMO.  Because that didnt happen doesnt mean ANet lied to me.  That the game is flawed (in an unplayable way).

It just means this MMO is catered to a specific audience, or which I am not a member.  And even then I'll still log on from time to time to see if I change my mind.  

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr

By the way, if you do ANYTHING without taking a break, it gets a bit old.  I've taken a couple breaks and played other games on certain days.  Then I start thinking, "I have so many zones to complete!" and log right back into Guild Wars 2.  Just me, but that's my thought.

Problem is, some games you CAN do that with and not get bored. I played TL2 all day long (mentioning an example of a recent game) and was content with doing it the whole day through. GW2 I never had that feeling, and its only gotten worst as time goes on.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by evilastro

Heart quests are boring, running from heart to heart really wont give you anything new, you are basically playing GW2 like a quest hub game. If you get involved in the zonewide Dynamic Events it is a very very very different experience.

Just yesterday I spent hours helping the humans retake the centaur camps. When me and my friends first got to the zone the centaurs were running the show, even had some of the human settlements, a few hours later we had rallied about a hundred players in the final showdown against the centaur leader, who was really pissed off that we had taken over all his land. It was a pretty epic battle, even with that many players. Summoning massive elementals and calling on the wind itself to attack us. 

Thats the sort of thing you experience if you pay attention to the NPCs asking for help and participate in Dynamic Events rather than just running around for 100% map completion. Most maps have an overarching Dynamic Event chain which leads to a battle with the big nemesis for the zone, if you want a unique experience that is the path you should be following. 

I really do feel bad for people that think the game is about heart quests, they really do miss the entire point of the living and dynamic world that is there to be explored. But some people are always going to have a hard time doing something new.

Welcome to the Harathi Hinterlands..

Please get comfortable, you will be here for a little while..

After the 4th time doing that event chain, you will realize how fruitless your actions truly are and no matter how many times you take over the last camp when the event "resets" the centaurs will magically appear for the next go around..

That is not dynamic.. You and your friend "liberating" those camps was all in the plan. It was part of the line that you followed all the way to the main camp where the scripted boss says his normal speech and then summons his elementals.. It all happens the same exact way no matter what you or your friend do to each centaur camp..

The only thing that can happen is to force an early "reset" of the chain by failing any one part of it.. Nothing permanent or even much game changing, but that will probably never happen unless you are on a really low pop server.. usually people see the orange and start running with their tongues hanging out..

This discussion has been closed.