Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this an acceptable computer? 0_o

KilawuaKilawua Member Posts: 52

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_I/

And would I be able to upgrade it if necessary?

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Its ok.  I would definetly switch the FX4100 to the FX8150.  In most scenarios the FX4100 is a dual core, while the 8150 is a quad core.  The quad core is going to be necessary going forward.  If you are no overclocking, the standard AMD heatsink should be sufficient.  The standard one on an 8150 and most AMD is actually a pretty good design.  The HD7770 is almost and entry level GPU now.  Its all that is necessary to max most games, but the 7870 might be a better pick if you don't mine spending an extra hundred and 70.  On GPU, I wish they let you choose smaller GPU.  The problem with stanard PSU is they have bad power management, and you will be sucking up more power then necessary.  If they had an 80+ certified 550 or 600w PSU, it would be more ideal.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346

We've already been through this.  Just wait another two days. Trinity is coming.  It will take them two weeks to ship the computer to you, anyway, so waiting another two days to place the order isn't much of a loss.

On the merits, you don't want to use that configurator.  It requires you to get a 700 W power supply, which is far more than you need.  The default is a piece of junk, and the cheapest good power supply that they'll let you switch to is an extra $63.  That's way out of your stated budget.

Don't plan on buying a new computer and immediately upgrading it yourself.  Upgrades are something you do a couple of years down the line, when you add new replacement parts that didn't exist when you bought the computer originally.

It looks like that Xion 700w has a 50% failure rate, but has a good enough circuit overflow that it doesn't take out your components.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817190028

• WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

If your capable of replacing memory or a GPU, then you are more than capable enough to build a system.

The first time experience, of building a system, is just that, nothing more.

A few questions asked when you have all your parts, heed the advice methodically, and your good to go.

Food for thought.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

As I tell everyone:

www.tomshardware.com

They test, build, and rate everything computer related.  YOu can buy a 600, 1000, or 1500+ gaming rig build that they put together and tested.  Mix and match parts from what they say is good and you'll have a solid machine that will last you and save you money!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Kilawua

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_I/

And would I be able to upgrade it if necessary?

I'll tell you what I tell everyone else, NEVER... EVER... buy a PC from CyberPower or IbuyPower.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=42&SID=69ef1e91e42228ef4b161ae9de3c1e65

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=37&SID=69ef1e91e42228ef4b161ae9de3c1e65

• KilawuaKilawua Member Posts: 52
    So I can get a custom built computer from Tom's Hardware? And how do you know the trinity will be as good as people have hyped it up to be, and won't it take a while for companies to make computers with it in it?...I want to play Guild Wars 2 when everyone still plays it and everything about the game isn't known.. Haha :P And Darkfall, I hope I can play that too! 
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    So I can get a custom built computer from Tom's Hardware? And how do you know the trinity will be as good as people have hyped it up to be, and won't it take a while for companies to make computers with it in it?...I want to play Guild Wars 2 when everyone still plays it and everything about the game isn't known.. Haha :P And Darkfall, I hope I can play that too! 

Maybe trinity won't be great.  maybe it will.  Is it really worth throwing away money rather than waiting a day or two to find out for yourself?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

If you buy a PC from Cyberpower or iBuypower you'd be lucky if it even worked let alone played games well lol. They charge a premium for sub par parts, then do not test their builds before shipping them out. They don't even put much effort or time into making sure the build was done correctly or with compatible parts.

Read there forums, read what those that have used them have to say. It's a huge gamble and can take months of shipping back and forth that YOU have to pay for to get a working computer from them.

Your best bet is to build one yourself. If you can't do that then you have little hope of getting a PC from those 2 companies that you can get working.

And sadly they aren't even 2 different companies lol, that changed long ago.

Well what company would you adivse? I really can't build my own, trust me. :P I'll say this, if you had 700$ and you had to buy a pre-built computer, what would you buy?
  • XV999XV999 Member Posts: 36

AMD is garbage for gaming I wouldn't hold breath waiting on it. You want a good rig get a 3570k and and at least a ati 7870 and decent cooler. Why would throw away money when you can get something can do 6.3ghz only limited by your cooler. You need to be willing to spend enough or you will end up with a turd.

Edit: OP is I only had $700 for a prebuilt pc I wouldn't buy anything cause it will be garbage and overpriced. Open your local phone book and find a local place I have one near me will assemble from parts a pc for $60. Find a local pc repair store and get a quote and order everything from newegg or tigerdirect.

Originally posted by XV999
    AMD is garbage for gaming I wouldn't hold breath waiting on it. You want a good rig get a 3570k and and at least a ati 7870 and decent cooler. Why would throw away money when you can get something can do 6.3ghz only limited by your cooler. You need to be willing to spend enough or you will end up with a turd.

So, AMD is garbage you say, and then you immediately go on to recommend a graphics card made by... AMD?  I think that pretty much invalidates any hope you had of sounding reasonable.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

So, AMD is garbage you say, and then you immediately go on to recommend a graphics card made by... AMD?  I think that pretty much invalidates any hope you had of sounding reasonable.

See chart where is the amd cpu and where is the intel cpu? Argue with it fanboy.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

See chart where is the amd cpu and where is the intel cpu? Argue with it fanboy.

Notice how I never claimed one was better than the other.  I only pointed out you recommended AMD after calling it garbage.

Notice how you are proclaiming the merits of Intel, and completely writing off any merits of their competition.

You're the fanboy :)

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

They charge a premium for sub par parts, then do not test their builds before shipping them out. 

Considering that for the most part, they tell you the price and let you pick the parts, if you pay a premium for overpriced parts, it's your own fault.  Yes, you do pay a premium as compared to assembling the parts yourself, but that's always going to be the case when you pay someone else to screw parts together for you.

Maybe trinity won't be great.  maybe it will.  Is it really worth throwing away money rather than waiting a day or two to find out for yourself?

There isn't really that much uncertainty about Trinity, considering that they've been on sale since May.  It would be rather shocking if Tuesday brings any bigger surprises than this or that bin being $10 or $20 cheaper or more expensive than one might have guessed.

Notice how I never claimed one was better than the other.  I only pointed out you recommended AMD after calling it garbage.

Notice how you are proclaiming the merits of Intel, and completely writing off any merits of their competition.

You're the fanboy :)

And your a jerk. You buy the best you get the most for your money.  I don't care what you think  and if the OP reading this has any common sense he wil examine their conclusions and see for himself. . Go tell tomshardware how the results of their tests are wrong.  Your the one having the spazz attack you know damn well my post earlier was about amd cpus and not gpus. You see where I put 6.3ghz theres your clue.

You're not going to overclock a Core i5-3570K to 6.3 GHz on anything short of liquid nitrogen.

Yes, a Core i5-3570K is markedly faster on the processor side than an A10-5800K.  Maybe it's a gap of 30% or so.  But the A10-5800K will be a whole lot cheaper, and that matters when you're on a budget.

And where exactly is the A10-5800K on that chart?  How about the FX-8350?  Oh, right.

Gaming CPU is marketing BS.  Get the CPU that will get the job done for the least amount of money.  Games CPU requirements have not advanced very far in the last decade, so its not really that important to get the absolute best if you get the same experience at $100 less.
    So bottom-line, I should wait for a computer with Trinity? Or if that turns out to be too expensive, can someone point me to a computer that would be the next best? Sorry, for dragging this on. :/
    So bottom-line, I should wait for a computer with Trinity? Or if that turns out to be too expensive, can someone point me to a computer that would be the next best? Sorry, for dragging this on. :/

If Trinity is out of your budget, then the only thing that won't be out of your budget is a Llano system running integrated graphics.  And possibly a cut down version, at that.

Well, excluding things that are obviously inappropriate for gaming, that is.

And could you point me in the direction of a desktop with Llano? :P

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/AMD_Fusion_APU_Configurator/

You'd want upgrades to an A8-3870K, 8 GB of 1866 MHz memory, a Corsair CX430 V2, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

You could save a little bit of money by going with a cheaper case and the stock cooler.  If you can wait a few months on rebates, then grabbing one of the SSDs that is free after rebate would be really nice, too.

Or if you can wait two days, then you make it an A10-5800K instead, and get maybe an extra 30% performance (on both the CPU and GPU sides) for an extra $40 or so.

The next step up after that would be to add another $80-$100 or so to get an Athlon X4 750K and a Radeon HD 7770, which will better than double your graphics performance as compared to Trinity integrated graphics.

Also, for some inscrutable reason, it's a lot cheaper if you grab exactly the same hardware through this configurator instead.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gamer_Ultra_7000_Elite