Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So bots really are an issue.

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T9Iz_aTFsQ

This is in one of the newbie zones. I haven't played in a couple weeks, but it wasn't like this.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    That's the poorest escuse of a bot I've ever seen. Sorry, but that's not an issue that's comedy. Come back when you've found some decent bots.
  • mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    it's great your proactive but I couldn't help laugh a bit cause it stuck me as if you discovered bigfoot or had an alien encounter. I've seen them also, don't let it spoil your fun and continue on it's Anet's job to police them.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    That's the poorest escuse of a bot I've ever seen. Sorry, but that's not an issue that's comedy. Come back when you've found some decent bots.

... you do know bots typically don't teleport around in games right? Thats a pretty massive issue compared to other games where they have to play by the game rules and can't cheat like that.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Paid accounts, what makes you think Anet, Blizzard, or any other corporation is going to care if someone is paying them money?

Unless someone is somehow causing them to lose money, and upsetting a very select few players isn't enough...  These bots would have to drive away more plays than bots before it becomes worth considering.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Painlezz

Paid accounts, what makes you think Anet, Blizzard, or any other corporation is going to care if someone is paying them money?

Unless someone is somehow causing them to lose money, and upsetting a very select few players isn't enough...  These bots would have to drive away more plays than bots before it becomes worth considering.

Eh.  If they get banned they have to buy a new account and a better bot.  More $ in it for them to actually ban them.

The problem is that a lot of these accounts are probably stolen anyway.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    I saw about 10 bots at penitent camp or whatever in orr one day the next day they were all gone, wheter they switched farm spot or got banned i don't know though.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    My friend has been talking about there being a lot of bots lately.  I hope they fix the problem before I get back lol
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Yeah there are a lot of bots but those were pretty lame.

Most "pro" farmer bots use ranged weapons and will "sense" mobs nearby and teleport close enough to them then repeat the process. The most comon by far use guardians with a scepter/torch build for the range and durability.

I even saw one a couple of days ago botting the bandit attacks on that farm N of Claypool in the human starter zone. I saw it die a couple of times and it teleported back from the closest waypoint and continued teleporting, auto-killing and auto-looting. Some of them are so well programmed I can't help but have some admiration for them... just before I report them image

Another common spot for them is that broken bridge in the Kessex Hills human area that gets attacked by centaurs every few minutes. There you get a combination of bots and "live" farmers that create a kill zone where the centaurs spawn. At any time you can find 20+ engineer turrets, aoe arrows and rains of fire going constantly there.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

considering you can't steal mobs in this game...

I don't really give a shit.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

AH but you're wrong. If it's dead before you can tag it, it has been "stolen."

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I am more concerned with those accounts that are hacked. There should be none of that going on. People are having a difficult enough time getting their friends onto their servers.

• ZetsueiZetsuei Member UncommonPosts: 249

Until you get hacked by one of those people and your account becomes a botter's account then you'll be on the forums complaining. I think at that point you'll finally give a shit and realize this problem affect's everyone even if you don't think it does.

The botting problem is really a lot worse than anyone thinks. When I last played I seen tons of bots. Go to any spot where a DE happens every 5-10 minutes and you'll see 5-15 bots spamming aoes.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by bcbully

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T9Iz_aTFsQ

This is in one of the newbie zones. I haven't played in a couple weeks, but it wasn't like this.

Damn that's crazy, the AMOUNT of them is sick. Now I get the rage of so many people, I encountered the first bot my self only few days back, it was a single bot that I reported. Havent seen one since, but that... That's just bad.

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    What kills me the different kinds of botting now double bots, tripple bots, solo bots, warping bots. thinking tripple bots are used in heavy agro areas where someone could easily kill 1 bot so they use three which is almost no way to kill them even with a vet or champion.
  • syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

You should care about them ruining the game economy.  When one "person" can farm using several stolen accounts at once, they are effectively gaining resources at a faster rate than you.  Get enough people doing this and they can take over the economy and control prices.  It happens in almost every MMO.  I have only seen a few MMOs be proactive about preventing this kind of disruptive behavoir.

• spacebotspacebot Member UncommonPosts: 148

Bot's really arn't an issue. They cant steal your kills, your mat node, in fact all they can do is look stupid. The money they farm may effect the economy, but that can be good or bad depending on what your doing. And they do get banned.  

Also welcome to mmo's in 2012.

Troll harder.

• rdrpappyrdrpappy Member Posts: 325

Accusing him of being a troll is pure nub troll 101, there are several areas with 50 or 60 bots pilled up. They do steal kills because if you are actually playing the event, they whipe out everything before you can tag it.

Also it does jack up the economy and account theft is very much an issue, if your all coded up to bot dont try and minimize or justify it as being ok. This type of behavior does have an impact on quality players, not punks mind you as they tend to love their chance at buying gold and gems of just power leveling their new Ranger without actually having to play the game.

• I witnessed and reported 12 bots all standing on the same spot (was hard to click them all to report them). Every last one was a ranger with a bear. they stood at the entrance to a camp where a DE started every 5 minutes. Their efficiency was extremely impressive. Couldn't count the hundreds of mobs killed per minute.
  • RhinoNZRhinoNZ Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by syntax42

You should care about them ruining the game economy.  When one "person" can farm using several stolen accounts at once, they are effectively gaining resources at a faster rate than you.  Get enough people doing this and they can take over the economy and control prices.  It happens in almost every MMO.  I have only seen a few MMOs be proactive about preventing this kind of disruptive behavoir.

Have a look on http://www.gw2spidy.com/type/5

Select any T2 - T3 Material ( Small Venom Sacks are a great example ) 

10th September they were 1s 19 per

21st september a MASSIVE amount was dumped into the TP ( This goes for most other mats as well on this day )

Now they are only 30c per

I have been watching the TP & whats happening is that 1000's are placed on the market, the prices drop, then they are pulled & thousands more put in again at a much lower price.

IMO this is a co-ordinated TP attack, most likely by said bots & farmers to drive down the prices. They are buying up the Mats at the lowered buy prices, will then pull all the material off the market, driving the prices back up & they then sell the materials for a profit.

Thats my theory anyway.

They will then sell the gold they earn from this to the players that buy Gold Sellers Gold.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by RhinoNZ
    Originally posted by syntax42

Have a look on http://www.gw2spidy.com/type/5

Select any T2 - T3 Material ( Small Venom Sacks are a great example ) 

10th September they were 1s 19 per

21st september a MASSIVE amount was dumped into the TP ( This goes for most other mats as well on this day )

Now they are only 30c per

I have been watching the TP & whats happening is that 1000's are placed on the market, the prices drop, then they are pulled & thousands more put in again at a much lower price.

IMO this is a co-ordinated TP attack, most likely by said bots & farmers to drive down the prices. They are buying up the Mats at the lowered buy prices, will then pull all the material off the market, driving the prices back up & they then sell the materials for a profit.

Thats my theory anyway.

They will then sell the gold they earn from this to the players that buy Gold Sellers Gold.

Honestly I hope you're sending screenies to the CS of what you're seeing. I don't play GW2, but I've seen people looking to make real money off of in game currency kill games by f'ing with the economy, so it would be good to let the GM's or CS know if you're not already. 

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    I'm more worried about the economy as a whole of the game (which already seems screwed up) than bots stealing my kills.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Originally posted by spacebot

Bot's really arn't an issue. They cant steal your kills, your mat node, in fact all they can do is look stupid. The money they farm may effect the economy, but that can be good or bad depending on what your doing. And they do get banned.  

Troll harder.

And how by chance are you suppose to compete with those bots in your area,  are you saying you can tag a mob faster than a bot.  Guess again my friend,  all you can do is try to find a spot with no bots in the area.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Troll harder.

Bots ruin games.  The ruin a games economy.   Seen it happen in to many games - including EVE Online for one - and anyone that defends the notion that bots are not bad for a game is probably a botter themselves.

• WendettaWendetta Member Posts: 30

Troll harder...

Troll harder....

Troll harder.

So was your post just a knee jerk reaction to someone saying something bad about "YOUR" game or were you actually trying to troll others?

Even most of the hardcore rabid fanboys of Any game hate botters because of how they give rise to account hacking or rape the economy or steal kills or just generally piss people off.

For you to say that botters do good to the economy puts you in very bad light, you either run bot scripts yourself, hence the justification of botting that you need to make out of guilt, or (no offence) you are one the worst kind of gamers. 

Or would you start caring if some china farmer hacked your account and started botting with it? Welcome to MMOs in 2012, and when you get hacked other rabids will Always blame you for having "weak security" and malware on your PC while putting absolutely no blame of the game house, yes welcome indeed.

EDIT: space"bot"...? I see what you did there you cheeky fellow!

Proud Member of the A.F-D-A. [Anti Fanboy-Defense-Army]Association for a Better Tomorrow or [A.F-D-A.]AfaBT, in short.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Well, if you're so sure it's a bot, then report it. Easy enough, click on the character Rightclick and report IIRC, never did it before myself.

imageimage