Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: New $10,000 Tournament Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

CCP Games and own3D.tv have announced a cooperative eSports tournament for EVE Online. Winners of the tournament will split a $10,000 purse. Tournament brackets will start in November with the conclusion in December.

Each team will consist between eight and 24 players, with eight being the minimum required team size and 24 being the maximum team size allowed. The total number of players submitted is at the discretion of the team captain. It is important to note that payment of any prize to a winning team will be paid by own3D.tv directly to all players listed in a team.

There will be a total number of 32 teams participating in this tournament and all teams who enter will do so through an online auction held on Saturday, October 19. More details on that later in the blog.

Read all of the details on the EVE Online community site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Wouldn't I love to have that money... No, really, I would.

Smile

• zhaldorzhaldor Member Posts: 1
    35% Tax, so thats 7500 in your pocket. IRS will get it off the top.
  • N1kthequickN1kthequick Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Originally posted by zhaldor
    35% Tax, so thats 7500 in your pocket. IRS will get it off the top.

Its your 1st post, and your math is wrong on top of that. Stay lurking my friend

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

35% of 10k = 2500.... /childishgiggling

Anyways, off the terrible math part, I'm not sure how this works exactly. Eve has been all about having money. Are they setting it up like a bracket of farming that money and then competing or like what? I'm not 100% sure where skill comes into play to actually be a tornament. 

I'm not trying to insult the game, its perfectly fine how it is being based of economy and all that deal, I'm literally just not understanding this concept of a tornament.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Purutzil

35% of 10k = 2500.... /childishgiggling

Anyways, off the terrible math part, I'm not sure how this works exactly. Eve has been all about having money. Are they setting it up like a bracket of farming that money and then competing or like what? I'm not 100% sure where skill comes into play to actually be a tornament. 

I'm not trying to insult the game, its perfectly fine how it is being based of economy and all that deal, I'm literally just not understanding this concept of a tornament.

Here's a channel of videos from the recent Alliance Tournament to give you an idea of what an EVE tournament is like.

Alliance Tournament X videos

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

So did everyone catch the part where it starts at 20 plexes. Thats anywhere from $240 to $300. Now of course you can buy that with isk, but then either way you've eliminated a large portion of the player base.

Are plexes still about 300M isk? Was the last time I played. Whats that 6 billion isk, and that just the starting auction price.

And tell me did I miss the part where if someone joins two teams and both teams get disqualified the team members get their plexes (money) refunded? I dont remember reading that.

Ohh the Goons are going to love this. Expect the Goons who have that 5 trillion isk in their banks to buy (bid highest) on all those open spots. Or at least buy a vast majority and create or pay a "plant" to disqaulify the other teams and bam, instant $10K of real money in their pockets.

Ohh, but you say who would risk their account to a perma ban. All it takes is a few (or less than a few) real $100 bills and I promise they will get 2-3 takers to do it. $200-$500 of real cash for $10k, thats a damn good return on investment.

Doomed to fail. With a lot of pissed of customers.

And it doesnt even have to be the Goons that do it. There are a lot of Corps in EVE who control enough iskies to buy the tournament.

Im not anti-Goon I just think their the ones with the balls and the brains to do it.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• DarthMajinDarthMajin Member Posts: 92
    it's actually $6000 for first place, $3000 for second, and $1000 for third divided among the team so if you use the minimum team of 8 and you get first you only get $750 each.