Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mass Exodus for MoP... or not?

Comments

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Originally posted by Stx11

new stats for saturday. gw2 at 38.5k, wow at 63.5k.  

comparing to last saturday (50.5k) it's a drop of 24%. last week the drop was from 65k to 50.5k (22.3%).

Stats aren't for Saturday... Sept 28 was Friday. Also you are looking at hours played not Players.

Looking at those figures WoW is at 9700 while GW2 is at 8700. I think WoW was at 9600 the day before while GW2 was at ~9000. Hardly the large population shift you seem to be hoping for.

On the other hand, GW2 is #3 and #9 on Amazon's Bestsellers (only being beaten by $5 EVE and 40% off Sleeping Dogs) while WoW MoP fell to #6.

The stats I posted are for saturday the 29th. the amazon bestesellers became irrelevant since digital sales became popular.

My mistake on the dates X-Fire just updated for me...

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Amazon would only be relevant if we knew what percentage of total WoW/GW2 sales came from amazon, or the exact total sales (and tracked them to find out the weekly changes). A simple ranking system without further info is worthless.

And what about the very small change in Player Numbers?

if you are comparing the numbers from thursday to friday you are doing it wrong.

Or simply the fact that X-Fire numbers are only valid for X-Fire Users and we know from the X-Fire list that it isn't representative of the "general gaming population" at all?

xfire users are a random selection which is statistically relevant if you can "read the numbers".

I'm sure both MoP and GW2 are picking up lots of new players, virtually none of which are reflected in X-Fire.

why not? are xfire users not allowed to buy games after they release?

I don't know why you have such a burning pathalogical hatred of GW2 but this idea that there was any kind of "mass exodus" from the game to MoP is both silly and wrong.

I don't. I just think it's a bad MMO and doesn't deserve the hype at all. Its place should be among swtor and tera and it's getting there.

Some people have stopped playing and some are playing fewer hours than launch, but then that is true of pretty much any and every game, and from the way things have been trending will be true of MoP very soon as well.

Except WoW peaked 5 years after its release, not 8 days.

I know its hard for you and others on this site to accept, but GW2 is a success.  Your opinion that its not a good game is in the minority.  See what you fail to get or refuse to understand is that Tor and Tera were made to be a sub games. Success for them is/was determined by player retention.

Now try to follow me on this, GW2's success is based on box sales. When an expansion comes out, if it sells poorly then you might be able to say "the game is failing", but at the moment you are simple wrong.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

comparing to last saturday (50.5k) it's a drop of 24%. last week the drop was from 65k to 50.5k (22.3%).

Stats aren't for Saturday... Sept 28 was Friday. Also you are looking at hours played not Players.

Looking at those figures WoW is at 9700 while GW2 is at 8700. I think WoW was at 9600 the day before while GW2 was at ~9000. Hardly the large population shift you seem to be hoping for.

On the other hand, GW2 is #3 and #9 on Amazon's Bestsellers (only being beaten by $5 EVE and 40% off Sleeping Dogs) while WoW MoP fell to #6.

The stats I posted are for saturday the 29th. the amazon bestesellers became irrelevant since digital sales became popular.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Amazon would only be relevant if we knew what percentage of total WoW/GW2 sales came from amazon, or the exact total sales (and tracked them to find out the weekly changes). A simple ranking system without further info is worthless.

if you are comparing the numbers from thursday to friday you are doing it wrong.

Or simply the fact that X-Fire numbers are only valid for X-Fire Users and we know from the X-Fire list that it isn't representative of the "general gaming population" at all?

xfire users are a random selection which is statistically relevant if you can "read the numbers".

I'm sure both MoP and GW2 are picking up lots of new players, virtually none of which are reflected in X-Fire.

I don't know why you have such a burning pathalogical hatred of GW2 but this idea that there was any kind of "mass exodus" from the game to MoP is both silly and wrong.

I don't. I just think it's a bad MMO and doesn't deserve the hype at all. Its place should be among swtor and tera and it's getting there.

Some people have stopped playing and some are playing fewer hours than launch, but then that is true of pretty much any and every game, and from the way things have been trending will be true of MoP very soon as well.

I know its hard for you and others on this site to accept, but GW2 is a success.  Your opinion that its not a good game is in the minority.  See what you fail to get or refuse to understand is that Tor and Tera were made to be a sub games. Success for them is/was determined by player retention.

Now try to follow me on this, GW2's success is based on box sales. When an expansion comes out, if it sells poorly then you might be able to say "the game is failing", but at the moment you are simple wrong.

I thought success was based on the content of the game, not how many boxes it sold.  I guess a success for a gamer, is different than success for a businessman.  You win this battle kotick, but the war isn't over

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by caetftl

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I thought success was based on the content of the game, not how many boxes it sold.  I guess a success for a gamer, is different than success for a businessman.  You win this battle kotick, but the war isn't over

Even if you want to base sucess on game content...GW2 is a winner,

GW2 have TONS of content at launch & plenty to do after reaching lvl 80.

Just because it doesn´t have the traditional farmeable Raid doesn´t mean it doesn´t have end-game....

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Bull shit. GW2 is not GW1 where the only time you need to be dependent upon other players is when you need to run dungeons or do exploration in hard mode.

GW2 is designed in a way from DE's to W VW where you need decent amount of population to get things done. So nope GW2's success doesn't solely depend upon how many boxes sold but how many are still playing.

Player retention is very important for Anet because if populaiton drops, they will have to merge servers and we know how people usually look at the news of server merges. Also you under estimate the amoutn of revenue Anet can generate from cash shop. They have said time and again they want to expand on it in future.

So he is not the only wrong here.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Zzad

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Even if you want to base sucess on game content...GW2 is a winner,

GW2 have TONS of content at launch & plenty to do after reaching lvl 80.

Just because it doesn´t have the traditional farmeable Raid doesn´t mean it doesn´t have end-game....

Well all the old big mmorpgs had enough launch content to last more than 3 days for hardcore gamers....  3 days is about when most of the hardcore mmorpgers got bored of gw2. 

Also what wealth of content does gw2 have that isn't just some farmable content? 

If players are bored, players are bored, you can go exclaiming there is tons of content, but people got bored faster in gw2, by about 5-10x than any other AAA mmo i've seen launched, to date. 

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I never said GW2 isn't a success. It is a success but also a bad game. Just like D3.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

I know its hard for you and others on this site to accept, but GW2 is a success.  Your opinion that its not a good game is in the minority... but at the moment you are simple wrong.

I never said GW2 isn't a success. It is a success but also a bad game. Just like D3.

Critical Reviews, Amazon Reviews, General Player Perception, Metacritic... all prove that you are wrong about it being a bad game.

Maybe it is to you and a minority of other people, but general consensus puts you in a noticeable minority.

[mod edit]

I know its hard for you and others on this site to accept, but GW2 is a success.  Your opinion that its not a good game is in the minority... but at the moment you are simple wrong.

Critical Reviews, Amazon Reviews, General Player Perception, Metacritic... all prove that you are wrong about it being a bad game.

Maybe it is to you and a minority of other people, but general consensus puts you in a noticeable minority.

[mod edit]

Yet the population is shrinking faster than SWTOR when it was released.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

They released population statistics?  Cool, where?  Or is this a "fact" like "GW2 is a bad game"?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

[mod edit]

"Something positive"?  You might wish to consider the same, rather than wasting your time defending a game that doesn't require it. ^^  GW2 isn't The One True Game(tm), but its not a bad game.  Its combat system isn't really to my taste, but then to each their own. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Well all the old big mmorpgs had enough launch content to last more than 3 days for hardcore gamers....  3 days is about when most of the hardcore mmorpgers got bored of gw2. 

Also what wealth of content does gw2 have that isn't just some farmable content? 

If players are bored, players are bored, you can go exclaiming there is tons of content, but people got bored faster in gw2, by about 5-10x than any other AAA mmo i've seen launched, to date. 

I´m playing since Headstart,My highest level char is 63 now,and i´m not bored,not even close!

So hardcore mmorpgers completed ALL content in 3 days?? Well they must be missing A LOT of it then...

There is not possible way you can achieve all in 3 days... and if you get bored...well would that change if you had a Raid to farm a thousand times? is that what you mean by "more content to last more than 3 days?"

GW2 has no Raids... but has plenty of content...maybe it´s just not the game for you.... it can´t appeal to everyone....

For example, I tried TSW and got bored pretty quick...not saying its a bad game..just not "my" game.

Hope you find a game where you have countless fun ;)

As I said before, you are such a poor bitter muppet - wasting all this time on misplaced hate and vitrol instead of finding something positive to do with your life.

Only in X-Fire. See if you actually played the game you would know that Servers are almost all High/Full, that Lion's Arch and Queensdale still have overflow, that no matter what zone I've played in (and I play in a lot of different Level ranges farming Crafting Mats) there are regularly people around and plenty always show up when a DE pops. WvW still has queues.

I've said it before, but notice what is missing in the GW2 forums compared to SWTOR at this time? NO threads complaining about needing LFG, or how the world is empty, or how cities (Fleet) are dead.

So yeah, maybe the X-Fire Population is shrinking faster than SWTOR, but the General Population isn't.

Sorry that upsets you so much and you don't have anything better to do with your life than "keep on hatin!"

Originally posted by Wraithone

"Something positive"?  You might wish to consider the same, rather than wasting your time defending a game that doesn't require it. ^^  GW2 isn't The One True Game(tm), but its not a bad game.  Its combat system isn't really to my taste, but then to each their own. 

I don't like people that do nothing but spread hate and vitrol where it's not needed, wanted, or in any way beneficial.

And isn't it funny that only "haters" ever refer to GW2 as "The One True Game(tm)" or any of that other BS - you're right it's a good game but not for everyone. I and many other fans of the game have said that many, many times in many, many threads.

The game is both a critical and popular success. There was no "mass exodus" for MoP.

Stopping people who aren't even playing the game from spreading lies and misinformation is important, and the same can be said for fans of any game when dealing with Trolls and Haters in their own game's forums.

(besides, it gives me something to do during commercials for NFL pregame!)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The game is both a critical and popular success. There was no "mass exodus" for MoP.

This is the entire point of the thread.  This "mass exodus" simply didn't happen.  Show's over.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Only in X-Fire. See if you actually played the game you would know that Servers are almost all High/Full, that Lion's Arch and Queensdale still have overflow, that no matter what zone I've played in (and I play in a lot of different Level ranges farming Crafting Mats) there are regularly people around and plenty always show up when a DE pops. WvW still has queues.

I've said it before, but notice what is missing in the GW2 forums compared to SWTOR at this time? NO threads complaining about needing LFG, or how the world is empty, or how cities (Fleet) are dead.

So yeah, maybe the X-Fire Population is shrinking faster than SWTOR, but the General Population isn't.

Sorry that upsets you so much and you don't have anything better to do with your life than "keep on hatin!"

People said the same thing about WoW, RIFT, Swtor, and I said the same thing about TSW (I didn't, but I wanted too...) when the Xfire slide became apparrent. The writting is on the wall. The question is, where is the bottom? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully

People said the same thing about WoW, RIFT, Swtor, and I said the same thing about TSW (I didn't, but I wanted too...) when the Xfire slide became apparrent. The writting is on the wall. The question is, where is the bottom? 

The only difference I see here Bully is that GW2 is still selling well, and that the Servers are still highly populated.

Now maybe that will change in a month, or maybe it won't.

GW2 is a different game designed for a different audience. It isn't designed for "endgame focused content consuming raiders" nor for "open world PvP" fans - two groups that I'd argue are really well-represented on X-Fire based on the top games. From sales data and popularity I expect there are a lot of very successful and popular games that simply don't trend well on X-Fire. GW2 might be the "X-Fire Trend Breaker" - that doesn't mean it will happen, but it is a definite possibility. 

One very important thing to keep in mind though - all those other games had to add Servers to handle the initial rush and were left with a lot of "ghost towns" after the locusts moved on. GW2 didn't. As long as Server Populations are high enough to participate enjoyably in the content provided the game is fine.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Stx11 The game is both a critical and popular success. There was no "mass exodus" for MoP.
    This is the entire point of the thread.  This "mass exodus" simply didn't happen.  Show's over.

My personal opinion is that there was no exodus. That said, can you please show me your evidence to prove that it didn't? Let's see your numbers that allowed you to make the claim "Show's over."

As I recall, ANET expanded their server capacities in the early days to allow for the increased population levels. Although, I may be mistaken in that. Either way, It's a very common practice and all major MMOs constantly adjust the server population thresholds. The reality, is they are just not an accurate measure of the overall populations in terms of numbers but are only good for determining the relative populations against other servers.

Also, Xfire's overall numbers only reflect those players that actually use the software, so it's only a sampling that might be used to determine trends within the game, but the numbers are meaningless for the overall populations.

The only difference I see here Bully is that GW2 is still selling well, and that the Servers are still highly populated.

Now maybe that will change in a month, or maybe it won't.

GW2 is a different game designed for a different audience. It isn't designed for "endgame focused content consuming raiders" nor for "open world PvP" fans - two groups that I'd argue are really well-represented on X-Fire based on the top games. From sales data and popularity I expect there are a lot of very successful and popular games that simply don't trend well on X-Fire. GW2 might be the "X-Fire Trend Breaker" - that doesn't mean it will happen, but it is a definite possibility. 

One very important thing to keep in mind though - all those other games had to add Servers to handle the initial rush and were left with a lot of "ghost towns" after the locusts moved on. GW2 didn't. As long as Server Populations are high enough to participate enjoyably in the content provided the game is fine.

I'm not sure those medium/high/full are genuine. My server who is medium since launch was empty in level 15-70 maps last time I played. They were very well populated in the first weeks, yet the server is still called medium.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Stx11 The game is both a critical and popular success. There was no "mass exodus" for MoP.

My personal opinion is that there was no exodus. That said, can you please show me your evidence to prove that it didn't? Let's see your numbers that allowed you to make the claim "Show's over."

As I recall, ANET expanded their server capacities in the early days to allow for the increased population levels. Although, I may be mistaken in that. Either way, It's a very common practice and all major MMOs constantly adjust the server population thresholds. The reality, is they are just not an accurate measure of the overall populations in terms of numbers but are only good for determining the relative populations against other servers.

Also, Xfire's overall numbers only reflect those players that actually use the software, so it's only a sampling that might be used to determine trends within the game, but the numbers are meaningless for the overall populations.

Well it's been awhile but I agree with everything you said Geezer! :O

The only "evidence" I have to go on is anecdotal - my Server is full of people. There are queues for WvW. LA and (this surprised me a bit TBH) the starting zones had Overflow yesterday.

know the population is down because (thankfully!!!) I don't have to deal with 30-man Zergs in every zone with Overflow. I know a lot of the "locusts" moved on. But at the same time I still find people in every zone I go to, and always have 3-10 people around me when a DE pops. Honestly I find it a much better gameplay experience now! The game "feels healthy" and I can't say the same for SWTOR way back when.

One of the huge advantages I see in GW2 (and also more and more in RIFT) over WoW is the amount of content a player can participate in whenever they want especially at Max Level. I hope Storm Legion injects some life into a game that deserves it, and honestly I hope Funcom finds a way to sustain and grow TSW as I think it was a game that "deserved better" than it got.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Wraithone

I don't like people that do nothing but spread hate and vitrol where it's not needed, wanted, or in any way beneficial.

And isn't it funny that only "haters" ever refer to GW2 as "The One True Game(tm)" or any of that other BS - you're right it's a good game but not for everyone. I and many other fans of the game have said that many, many times in many, many threads.

Stopping people who aren't even playing the game from spreading lies and misinformation is important, and the same can be said for fans of any game when dealing with Trolls and Haters in their own game's forums.

(besides, it gives me something to do during commercials for NFL pregame!)

I've been using phrase "The One True Game(tm)" for years and years now.  Long, LONG before GW2 came out.  Its an expression for the never to be realized game that is always just over the horizon. But no game can ever live up to peoples over blown expectations, and projections. Not to mention its own hype.  Which leads to endless disappointment on the part of those seeking The One True Game(tm). 

As for the rest, if you enjoy forum wars, by all means have fun. ^^ 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Seems it is time to shut this one down. 
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

They released population statistics?  Cool, where?  Or is this a "fact" like "GW2 is a the best MMO around"?

Works both ways.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    They actually lowered the player requirement for server readouts btw... you can check yourself, some servers are legitimately full, others list full when they are ghost towns at 3am in the morning. I imagine they did this to show the game is holding strong.

Have a link and a source for this claim?

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Just because YOU dont like it does not make it a bad game. You seem to be in the minority with that opinion so it seems GW2 is a good game that is not liked by certain types of gamers. Not a big deal, no game appeals to everyone. But your constant posts here hating on it show you have an attachment to the game. Or you just need an intervention.

Since every MMO loses players at some point X-Fire proves nothing. People said WoW was dying because of X-Fire? Then we have our proof that X-Fire is worthless as a game population indicator now dont we?

This discussion has been closed.