Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cross Realm Zones hurting WOW & MOP sales???

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Lissyl
    Originally posted by kitarad
    That sounds like a nightmare ,I would be very upset if I cannot level up because the mobs are not spawning fast enough. Bad decision or else not one for launch but more suitable for when the servers are more empty.

More because of launch than anything.  It was the same way when Death Knights were released, and CRZ's didn't exist back then.  

i agree launch doesnt help

but the 2 comments i posted were from last week - before MOP launched

CRZ has been live for the last month  (Aug 28)

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Lissyl
    Originally posted by kitarad
    That sounds like a nightmare ,I would be very upset if I cannot level up because the mobs are not spawning fast enough. Bad decision or else not one for launch but more suitable for when the servers are more empty.

More because of launch than anything.  It was the same way when Death Knights were released, and CRZ's didn't exist back then.  

i agree launch doesnt help

but the 2 comments i posted were from last week - before MOP launched

CRZ has been live for the last month  (Aug 28)

My apologies Nadia.  I'm still not quite used to topics this old reappearing (I typically use fast-moving forums), so I assumed it was recent.  I'll pay more attention to dates moving forward. =)

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301
    Originally posted by Nadia

i agree 

for PVE -- anyone who says CRZ is helpful for quests is overlooking changes made last year  (patch 4.3)  which nerfed almost all outdoor group quests under level 80 as solo now

heres two good quotes from battlenet thread

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6521292325?page=546

I'm trying to level my baby Shaman (only level 8). I'm in Goldshire, and it's a packed. I picked up the quests and headed to Fargodeep Mines. There are 15 people there from all different servers on the same quest. Everyone is competing to kill the Kobolds, and the mines are empty. Yeah..."I no take candle" is right.

I'm irritated at the people from the other servers even though it's not their fault. We're all trying to tag the same mobs as they spawn way too slow for the amount of people doing the quest.

My goal is to get to level 10 so I can do bgs until level 15. Then I can park my butt in Stormwind and sit in LFD.

- Blizzard's goal of getting people out into the world failed.
    - Bilzzard's goal of making zones more populated worked a little too well (resulting in a fail)
    - And there is NO socializing going on in the zones because everyone is annoyed, and they just want to complete their freakin' quests and move on.

----------------------------------------------------

I just started feeling the effects of CRZ on Wrymrest Accord, while leveling a Druid in Northrend, and further into the Cataclysm zones.

Here's my beef with it:

1) Group quests. The only group quests left in the game now are the ones in Icecrown, Ring of Blood in Nagrand, Ampitheatre of Anguish in Zul'Drak and the Crucible of Carnage in the Twilight Highlands. If there are so few group quests, why do I need to see people from other servers? Especially when WRA is a high population RP server, and it is linked with every other PvE RP server. And yes, I have seen people from every PvE RP server since I set foot off the boat in Borean Tundra.

2) I quest so I don't have to deal with other people. I prefer questing, this is one reason why. If I wanted to deal with other people while leveling, I would sit my !@# in a city, trolling trade while waiting for my dungeon queue to pop, just so I can deal with 4 other people, I do not know, where most of the time they are complaining that the tank or healer suck, that someone keeps pulling, or they're spamming recount in a level 25 dungeon.

3) Farming to level my profession. I like to level my profession while I level my character, it gives me more to do. Now I have to deal with every other person on every other RP server that is also farming. Again, WRA is a high pop server, I don't need to see Sisters of Elune, Moon Guard, Silver Hand etc, etc. I'm okay with seeing people just from my realm.

Some of those problems would be lessened if people actually grouped up. Instead of 15 players competing for the same kills, you can have 3 groups. Doesn't really help much with collect quests though.

But again, getting WoW players to group up is alot harder then it is to get them to complain :P

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

1.  There aren't a lot of bugs, certainly no gamebreaking ones.

2.  CRZ only affect you if you are on a pvp server.  Now let me get this straight. Are people actually complaining that they are being ganked or having to pvp people when they CHOOSE to go on a pvp server.

People are stupid

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Honestly I don't think X-realm zones has that big of an impact on the game and has been blown into a much bigger thing then it is.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by krakra70
    Why would a feature that turned WoW to an MMO again hurt it? The only people who cry are the antisocials who want it to be a single player game. 

Not quite.  I want to play an MMO, but I don't want to play in a game where I'm fighting inch by inch for resource nodes and quest objectives all day, every day.  More players are fine, if the world supports it.  WoW does not currently have a big enough world design to support that many people in literally every zone.

You make me like charity

It isn't a big deal at all.  I'm an an rppvp realm.  I've been ganked (on all 5 of my characters ranging from 10-70) exactly 3 times in the last two weeks.

2 of them by the same person just a few minutes apart.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

2.  CRZ only affect you if you are on a pvp server.  Now let me get this straight. Are people actually complaining that they are being ganked or having to pvp people when they CHOOSE to go on a pvp server.

People are stupid

Interestingly, most of the complaints I've read (mainly from official forums) are not about PvP servers, but about the difficultly of getting PvE content, like resource nodes, quest mobs, rare mobs, hunter pets, etc..

It's also messed up a lot of local server economies for underpopulated servers, due to making things like resource nodes that much harder to get.

You make me like charity

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Why would a feature that turned WoW to an MMO again hurt it? The only people who cry are the antisocials who want it to be a single player game. 

Not quite.  I want to play an MMO, but I don't want to play in a game where I'm fighting inch by inch for resource nodes and quest objectives all day, every day.  More players are fine, if the world supports it.  WoW does not currently have a big enough world design to support that many people in literally every zone.

I play on the biggest euro server and we usually get merged with other huge euro servers at low level zones. Yesterday I was questing in westfall and there were always about 10+ people running around each quest npc. The respawns were so fast I fought for about 5% of the mobs I killed or nodes I gathered. On the other hand I managed to get help to kill an elite that was owning me solo with help from a lock from another server. And finally the game felt alive again, this is a MUCH better solution than server merges because it automatically adjusts to population increases and decreases.

Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

People are stupid

Interestingly, most of the complaints I've read (mainly from official forums) are not about PvP servers, but about the difficultly of getting PvE content, like resource nodes, quest mobs, rare mobs, hunter pets, etc..

It's also messed up a lot of local server economies for underpopulated servers, due to making things like resource nodes that much harder to get.

Hmm yes I guess that could be possible on pve servers.  More people mean more resource node competition.  But again on my 5 characters it hasn't been a problem so far anyway.

I'm not going to say that isn't happening but as someone above said, I think it is a few people blowing everything out of proportion.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I honestly disagree. The cross Realm zones I have a feeling might have a small impact, but I just completely doubt it being the big reason for hurting sales. Theres to many other grey areas hurting WoW and Cross Realm zones isn't one of them. I'd be completely amazed if 1/10th of the people not playing are doing so due to this, I expect % wise its quite low.

Now if anything, I can see it hurting subscribers as people get griefed a lot more and over-all making this very toxic in play.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    Originally posted by Aviggin

What in the hell is wrong with people? So many zones were completely dead and lifeless, and now withthe CRZ I am seeing people all over the place. I even made a friend with someone from another realm while just randomly out grouping, added him as a friend, and now we can pretty much play the game together at any time even being from separate realms.

In essence, this brings groups of servers together so they're like one massive server. How is this a BAD thing? Why is this even an ISSUE!?

If you're so anti-social that you prefer to play the game without running into many people, then go play a single player game and leave the MMO genre to the people that actually enjoy multiplayer.

Thanks.

Didn't you READ the multiple terrible bugs that come with CRZs, at least right now until and IF they're fixed?  Did you read the OP at all?  There's another link in this thread that will also detail some of the issues and the responses beneath it are even MORE eye-opening.

I'm sorry you're having some issues. The only issues I've had are when it was 10 minutes until server shut down for maintenance, it was saying the CRZ was unavailable so I couldn't switch servers, and nothing was loading. Other than that, I have had zero issues whatsoever (unless if course you're nitpicking about the time changing).

I've also heard of something where people grouping with others from PvP servers end up on PvP servers, but that doesn't apply to me, as far as I know.

CRZ seems perfectly fine to me, and I've yet to experience any meaningful problems from it. Either way, they'll perfect it in time. It's a great idea, and I'm glad it was implemented.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Have not had one problem. Be nice seeing more people out in the open world.
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by halflife25

What in the hell is wrong with people? So many zones were completely dead and lifeless, and now withthe CRZ I am seeing people all over the place. I even made a friend with someone from another realm while just randomly out grouping, added him as a friend, and now we can pretty much play the game together at any time even being from separate realms.

In essence, this brings groups of servers together so they're like one massive server. How is this a BAD thing? Why is this even an ISSUE!?

If you're so anti-social that you prefer to play the game without running into many people, then go play a single player game and leave the MMO genre to the people that actually enjoy multiplayer.

Thanks.

Didn't you READ the multiple terrible bugs that come with CRZs, at least right now until and IF they're fixed?  Did you read the OP at all?  There's another link in this thread that will also detail some of the issues and the responses beneath it are even MORE eye-opening.

I am just goign to tell you what GW2 fans love to tell others.

Every new MMO, expansion, content etc etc has bugs. Give it some time i am sure they will fix it.

Right?

You really do hate them dont you? :D

I think more important here is, that WoW had perfectly fine seamless open world that worked like a dream, and then they butchered it simply to dodge the embarassing process of server merging. With this another community scattering "feature" they now can have servers up and running even if they only have a handful of people in them, no mergers, no doomsayers!

This is another feature added just to keep business side of things going strong, meh. It's funny to even think they say "CRZ is there so low pop areas have more people to play with" when the whole leveling experience to max level is designed as a SOLO trek. How about "CRZ is there to spice up world PvP" when there's no world PvP objectives or rewards after 8 years other than feeling good about chain one shotting lowbies from other realms on your max char? Obvious lies is a good way to insult your customers.

You people get insulted a lot no matter what Blizzard does. But are you Blizzards customer right now? nope. See i would understand if you were playing the game and had any interest in it. But for someone who wants MOP to fail because of his own personal dislikes, don't mind if i don't take anything you take seriously.

However, it is extremely ironic that GW2 fans are complainign about glitches and bugs..i mean have you seen GW2 forums? 215 pages of nothing but  broken content and bugs since launch. But if someone points out towards that the typical answer is..

'well million others are enjoying the game inclusing myself, my neighbour Bob and his dog Charlie. We didn't come across any bugs and since our account was never hacked....everything is allright.

Well i think same can be said for MOP.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Thanks.

I am just goign to tell you what GW2 fans love to tell others.

Every new MMO, expansion, content etc etc has bugs. Give it some time i am sure they will fix it.

Right?

You really do hate them dont you? :D

I think more important here is, that WoW had perfectly fine seamless open world that worked like a dream, and then they butchered it simply to dodge the embarassing process of server merging. With this another community scattering "feature" they now can have servers up and running even if they only have a handful of people in them, no mergers, no doomsayers!

This is another feature added just to keep business side of things going strong, meh. It's funny to even think they say "CRZ is there so low pop areas have more people to play with" when the whole leveling experience to max level is designed as a SOLO trek. How about "CRZ is there to spice up world PvP" when there's no world PvP objectives or rewards after 8 years other than feeling good about chain one shotting lowbies from other realms on your max char? Obvious lies is a good way to insult your customers.

You people get insulted a lot no matter what Blizzard does. But are you Blizzards customer right now? nope. See i would understand if you were playing the game and had any interest in it. But for someone who wants MOP to fail because of his own personal dislikes, don't mind if i don't take anything you take seriously.

So I need to start paying monthly for the game that I enjoyed for years JUST to have the right to speak now? I'm not a Blizzard customer? Really? I am a Blizzard customer 24/7, I check everything that comes out from them and also re-review their old persistent titles to see if there's a reasons to play those again. You should just stop posting about this, when clearly you have nothing more to say about the actual topic. Btw, are you a WoW fanboy now that you cant take valid criticism about it?

So I need to start paying monthly for the game that I enjoyed for years JUST to have the right to speak now? I'm not a Blizzard customer? Really? I am a Blizzard customer 24/7, I check everything that comes out from them and also re-review their old persistent titles to see if there's a reasons to play those again. You should just stop posting about this, when clearly you have nothing more to say about the actual topic. Btw, are you a WoW fanboy now that you cant take valid criticism about it?

No i am your moral compass. Pointing out the hypocricy and double standards where ever i can.  I am actually on topic. So nothing to say about irony of GW2 fans complaining about glitches and bugs of MOP and CRZ? ofcourse not. 

It is not about being cutomer but wanting the game to fail because you dislike it. You are no better than GW2 trolls you so vigrously fight every day to defend honor of GW2. They too want the game to fail well because they dislike it.

If irony was a bus and hit you in the face you still wouldn't know it.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I'm sorry, but I didn't want to read through the entire thread, but is the Cross Realm system even up and working? I have been playing in Wyrmrest Accord since launch, and haven't noticed a single change in population while leveling.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Just makes everyone a random and unlikely to see again.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I dont see why they do all this trouble instead of merging the smaller servers, that have been something they should have done years ago.

Really, I dont see anyone complaining about that (except that a few devs from other companies might smirk since Blizzard were less than good winners in the past a nd said a few things about games that merge their servers). 

Not worth it.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Loke666

I dont see why they do all this trouble instead of merging the smaller servers, that have been something they should have done years ago.

Really, I dont see anyone complaining about that (except that a few devs from other companies might smirk since Blizzard were less than good winners in the past a nd said a few things about games that merge their servers). 

Not worth it.

merging or adding servers doesn't solve the problem since it's only a temporary measure. You will have to merge or add every time the population changes. With CRZs even if the population drops to 1 mil they won't have to merge and the world will still feel alive. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

merging or adding servers doesn't solve the problem since it's only a temporary measure. You will have to merge or add every time the population changes. With CRZs even if the population drops to 1 mil they won't have to merge and the world will still feel alive. 

Together with a free transfer every week it actually helps a lot.

Another solution would of course be to go 100% out and only have a single server for each region and just open up a new instance once the first fills out but it have the same problem as CRZ have: you stop knowing the people you play with.

The best thing with servers is that you actually start to know people on your server after playing a while, and that goes for any MMO. It makes guild recruitment a lot easier, if you played a bit with someone and he leaves his guild for some reason you know what you get when you invite him to yours and knowing people is the key to make a better community.

Playing with people you likely wont see again can lead to rather nasty behaviour and it takes away a lot of the social aspect of MMOs.

I also think they could increase the server population when they merge though, but taking away the point of servers is a misstake.

No i am your moral compass. Pointing out the hypocricy and double standards where ever i can.  I am actually on topic. So nothing to say about irony of GW2 fans complaining about glitches and bugs of MOP and CRZ? ofcourse not. 

It is not about being cutomer but wanting the game to fail because you dislike it. You are no better than GW2 trolls you so vigrously fight every day to defend honor of GW2. They too want the game to fail well because they dislike it.

Says the guy who thinks valid criticism towards MoP is not acceptable, but even trolling and baiting is just fine towards something else. When did this become about GW2 anyway? I never mentioned it anywhere.

I already posted why CRZ is a business supporting feature instead of being a feature that actually helps the players. I didnt even talk about glitches or bugs, but about the whole feature being sold to players for all the purposes except for what it claims to do.

Just try to understand, the feature is to bring more people together so they can group up for open world content, those are Blizzards own words, and this is kinda funny when we talk about a world that has only solo content. It fixes a problem that never existed, why? So they dont have to merge servers now that the low-servers are "populated" once again ... That's not my opinion, it's simply what's happening. It's taking customers from behind with no warning. Those customers have enjoyed for the entire "WoW life" a smooth and seamless, propably the best open world technically in any mmorpg, until now.

-snip- I actually posted a big list of things here that I think WoW does a lot better than GW2, but deleted it because what's the point really. It's just off topic not to mention I dont have to prove you anything. Hey why dont you go and create a "Things you dont like about GW2" topic on the GW2 section and I'll make sure to pay a visit :)

Says the guy who thinks valid criticism towards MoP is not acceptable, but even trolling and baiting is just fine towards something else. When did this become about GW2 anyway? I never mentioned it anywhere.

You still don't get it do you? it was never about WOW..and it is still not about WOW. By the way are you capable of taking any valid criticism towards GW2? or even better are GW2 fans capable of accepting valid criticism of GW2? and by valid i don't mean 'i dislike the game so it must die'.

I already posted why CRZ is a business supporting feature instead of being a feature that actually helps the players. I didnt even talk about glitches or bugs, but about the whole feature being sold to players for all the purposes except for what it claims to do.

Yes you didn't, i never said you did. But since you are such a beacon of honesty i thought you might have somethign to add on it.

Just try to understand, the feature is to bring more people together so they can group up for open world content, those are Blizzards own words, and this is kinda funny when we talk about a world that has only solo content. It fixes a problem that never existed, why? So they dont have to merge servers now that the low-servers are "populated" once again ... That's not my opinion, it's simply what's happening. It's taking customers from behind with no warning. Those customers have enjoyed for the entire "WoW life" a smooth and seamless, propably the best open world technically in any mmorpg, until now.

Because server merges are looked down upon? and with this new system populationc an drop to a million or two and Blizzard still wouldn't need to worry about server merges. If you want to flame Blizzard for being clever in running business be my guest.

-snip- I actually posted a big list of things here that I think WoW does a lot better than GW2, but deleted it because what's the point really. It's just off topic not to mention I dont have to prove you anything. Hey why dont you go and create a "Things you dont like about GW2" topic on the GW2 section and I'll make sure to pay a visit :)
    I love GW2 despite its short comings and criticize the game when it is warranted. I never said i hate or dislike GW2 so i don't need to make a list just for the sake of it. I am more of an anti-fan  not anti - GW2.

You still don't get it do you? it was never about WOW..and it is still not about WOW. By the way are you capable of taking any valid criticism towards GW2? or even better are GW2 fans capable of accepting valid criticism of GW2? and by valid i don't mean 'i dislike the game so it must die'.

Cross realm zones are not about WoW? And you keep on bringing GW2 up again. Please, I already recommended you on making a topic for that, I promise I'll comment on it there.

Yes you didn't, i never said you did. But since you are such a beacon of honesty i thought you might have somethign to add on it.

Avoiding the whole CRZ topic here again. And yes, new big features always have bugs in any game, it's quite obvious imo.

Because server merges are looked down upon? and with this new system populationc an drop to a million or two and Blizzard still wouldn't need to worry about server merges. If you want to flame Blizzard for being clever in running business be my guest.

Yes, server merges are always looked down upon, the doomsayers mobilize immediately when the mergers happen, and often active players can feel bad about their chosen title shrinking instead of growing. I never flamed Blizzard for being clever running business, I'm actually trying to say that this feature indeed is to secure their business, not so much to be there for the players though.

I love GW2 despite its short comings and criticize the game when it is warranted. I never said i hate or dislike GW2 so i don't need to make a list just for the sake of it. I am more of an anti-fan  not anti - GW2.

But I need to make the list, just so you can stop taking me for somekind of super GW2 fanboy which you have admitted to not like, and that makes it impossible to try and have any discussion with you since you just ignore everything and concentrate on the assumed fanboyism of GW2 here.

So yes, it's pretty crucial for me to point out to you that IN MY OPINION GW2 has tons of shortcomings, which I wouldnt be able to do if I were such a fanboy.

• MikkelBMikkelB Member Posts: 240

I only starting playing Pandaria this weekend, so I haven't experienced the CRZ much. I did enjoy it however, when I instantly got a group together for [3]Counterattack! in the Northren Barrens. People were even asking for groups in the chat for that quest, something I haven't seen a lot before. Last month I did a lot of archeology on my paladin. Only in the Eastern Kingdoms. I was actually shocked to see al those zones empty, onyl filled with NPC's. If the CRZ can counter that, I'm already glad. I haven't ran into any bugs (yet) and I'm pretty confident that Blizzard will fix those asap.

Regarding questing, yes, perhaps Blizzard needs to look at certain spawntimers. Regarding resources, hell no, the way it's now, it's like in the old days, zones filled with players, with all needing the resources. A month ago it was more the opposite, nearly no players, with one or two players having a fieldday with resources in the empty zones.