Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help plz..pc shutting down on all games startup

kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
has per title..i thought that i was having problems only with guild wars 2 but all  games i have when i start one up the pc shuts down automatically..i know pretty much nothing about pc's but i can build them,mind you so can a 5 yr old..gfx card is nvidia 560ti,w7,2500k processor,8gb ram..any tips,advice would be extremely welcome..ty in advance.

Comments

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I had this issue with an older PC which turned out to be a bad power supply.
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Pls, provide your DxDiag txt file. Did you contact support?

EDIT: Probably bad PSU as poster above said. What PSU you have?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Another vote for the PSU, although a bad graphics card or even a loose connection could also do this.

You should try to get this thread moved to the Hardware forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there who can help you troubleshoot.

Things I would like to know... Was this always the case or is this a new thing with your PC? If it ran games before, what changes have you made recently?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Iselin

Another vote for the PSU, although a bad graphics card or even a loose connection could also do this.

You should try to get this thread moved to the Hardware forum. Lots of knowledgeable people there who can help you troubleshoot.

Things I would like to know... Was this always the case or is this a new thing with your PC? If it ran games before, what changes have you made recently?

this only styarted 2 days ago..while i,m thinking we had a power surge in the house which shut the pc off immediately.has it would do.when i started pc back up there seemed to be like a grinding sound from inside the box..then it went quiet and loaded properly.have not been able to play a game since then..i guess its the power unit..but why would the pc work but not the games..does it require more power to run a game than normally lets say the internet? sorry i,m not clued up on this..ty for response btw and ty all for response guys if your reading.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Do NOT automatically assume it's the PSU.  It could be, and hopefully it's something that simple, but I replaced mine because I was having the same issues and everyone swore up and down that it was the PSU.  I also put in a new graphics card, new harddrive and scanned for errors only about 500 times.  The only possibility left is my motherboard.  I still can't play games on my gaming pc.  Good luck with your trouble shooting.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by kevjards

this only styarted 2 days ago..while i,m thinking we had a power surge in the house which shut the pc off immediately.has it would do.when i started pc back up there seemed to be like a grinding sound from inside the box..then it went quiet and loaded properly.have not been able to play a game since then..i guess its the power unit..but why would the pc work but not the games..does it require more power to run a game than normally lets say the internet? sorry i,m not clued up on this..ty for response btw and ty all for response guys if your reading.

My guess is that when the game starts and the video card starts really "working" the computer requires more power. I had a smiliar issue where my power supply was going adn my computer would go to a blue screen. I was looking up errors, checking drivers etc and a coworker said "new power supply - just do it".

I bought a good one and bingo solved the issue.

If you had a power surge in the house then it's possible that damaged your power supply.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    My advice would be PSU or Ram.  You may have a bad stick of ram which is easy to check (swap out),  The PSU on the other hand might be a little harder to check.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Do NOT automatically assume it's the PSU.  It could be, and hopefully it's something that simple, but I replaced mine because I was having the same issues and everyone swore up and down that it was the PSU.  I also put in a new graphics card, new harddrive and scanned for errors only about 500 times.  The only possibility left is my motherboard.  I still can't play games on my gaming pc.  Good luck with your trouble shooting.

well i am taking it into the guy that sold me it tomorrow..he is honest..i have known him a long time so if its not the psu i will find out one way or the other..ty everyone for your kind responses.

• MystralzMystralz Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I'm take a guess at the opposite just so you have all fronts cleared.  That grinding noise was your fan failing.  Your computer might be overheating.  But yeah never be cheap about a power supply personally I've used corsair most recently and thermaltake which I had no problems with.  Make sure your video cards power requirements are met piticularly on the rails.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Either power supply or dried up thermal compound on the CPU heatsink or a dead fan.

• NilenyaNilenya Member UncommonPosts: 364

thermal paste is cheap. Put some on your cpu, and make sure the fan is clean and working. Start the pc back up again. You should be fine.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    upgrade your graphics drivers first..they cost nothing.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

could be  anumber o f things, most have already been mentioned. Unless yyou have a way to test the power draw you cannot say for sure it is the power supply, that leaves the CPU, various components of your motherboard such as the northbridge, memory  etc etc.

What I would do:

You may have aleady done this but blow out the PSU , CPU cooler and video card with some canned air

if you have the cash is take the box to a certified repair man. That ain't cheap I know, but it may save a lot of frustration and headaches if you don't have the skills or patience to  do it yourself.

If money is tight try checking your temps using moniitoring software, check the CPU, video card, northbridge if you motherboard uses one. For some reason my video card hates Skyrim and wil overheat in a heartbeat unless I use a desk fan blowing diretly on the motherboard. No other single or multiplayer game causes any issues. My northerboard and CPU are getting  a bit long in the tooth also.

You could also try pulling all your memory and putting it back in a stick at a time.

If you have a frend who has the knowledge and tools have him or her check your amperage draw on the varous components. To get into the nitty gritty of this requires some special adapters but it is pretty easy to check the overall draw

Last resort would be a rollover format of your hard drive and reinstall applications one at a time to rule out any possible software/driver issues.

good luck

I miss DAoC

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

If the computer always shuts down at exactly same point in game startup, then I'd say it's unlikely that it's a problem with fans. Even with no fans at all the computer would get further before overheading when you start it first time, then if you attempt again after shutdown it would be so hot that it would shut down sooner.

Games take a lot more from graphic card than other programs, and your graphic card takes quite a lot of power. I'd start searching the problem from power supply and the graphic card.

If you have some integrated graphic card on your motherboard, maybe you could try taking your TI 560 out from computer for a while and testing how it works with the integrated graphic card. You might be able to narrow down the problem.

A good program for checking computer temperatures and voltages: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

What power supply do you have?  Let's see if it theoretically should be unable to handle your hardware.

Also, if you've overclocked anything, revert the overclock first before you go fishing for other causes.  Sometimes it's as simple as an unstable overclock.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Mystralz
    I'm take a guess at the opposite just so you have all fronts cleared.  That grinding noise was your fan failing.  Your computer might be overheating.  But yeah never be cheap about a power supply personally I've used corsair most recently and thermaltake which I had no problems with.  Make sure your video cards power requirements are met piticularly on the rails.

I agree. The grinding sound does make it sound like a failed fan. It could just be a simple overheating issue. And most likely the CPU heatsink fan.

The grinding sound could also have been a wire getting chewed up by the fan blades. Possibly one of the wires powering the fan itself.

And to answer the OP... yes, the Windows desktop, internet browsing, etc. put very little stress on the system. In 3D games both the CPU and the GPU will need more power and run much hotter. So either inadequate power, heat ot both could result in a shut down even if you can word process and surf net 24/7.

And never be afraid to "overdo" the power--the computer will only use whatever it needs so a 1000 Watt PSU will use the same amount of power as a 600 watt if it needs less than that... It costs a bit more, of course, but worth the peace of mind. I've had a Corsair 1000 Watt PSU for several years... I could add 2 more GPUs if I wanted to (not that I'm going to) and it could still handle the load.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ChrisReitzChrisReitz Member Posts: 115
    Why didnt you just take it to t he pc repair shop. They usually check it out for just around 20 dollars. Not geek squad that is a rip off. but your local one.